• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Are they? They're both situations where two people, unrelated by blood, who have a familial relationship end up breaking that relationship in favor of entering a romantic one. Sure these people aren't father and daughter, but they are brother and sister and the show increasingly hints at them both having feelings that sit outside of being merely brother and sister.

First of all, nothing like this exists in the Usagi Drop I know......

Now with that being said, UD manga is "grooming" personified (20+ year difference) and the other is just young lust bro/sis via marriage and they didn't grow up together as a family. They were actually barely together at all before things in their situation changed. Not a defense for it, but at least a viable reason rather than that other fiction you are comparing it to!

Chindogg

Can someone explain the appeal of the monogatari series? Asking a serious question here. What makes it so popular and why is it critically panned? Cuz I saw it and it made me just hate anime and SHAFT.

The dialogue is fantastic and just about every character is great in either how awesome or terrible they are. It's by far SHAFT's best work.

That said, it's obvious why it's hated. The MC is kind of an asshole/idiot and there's a lot of super suspect themes in the series.

First of all, nothing like this exists in the Usagi Drop I know......

Now with that being said, UD manga is "grooming" personified (20+ year difference) and the other is just young lust bro/sis via marriage and they didn't grow up together as a family. They were actually barely together at all before things in their situation changed. Not a defense for it, but at least a viable reason rather than that other fiction you are comparing it to!

I suppose I should've specified the manga, but anyway I think you're getting caught up in the nuances of either situation. Sure, they're not the same situation, but they are similar concepts as I described before, even if Eromanga has a 'slightly' more okay reasoning for them seeking to change the nature of their relationship.

I guess I should also make it clear Eromanga and Usagi Drop don't really bother me either. I don't get offended or made uncomfortable by either, I just don't have an interest in that kind of story, either level of it. I also get bored by how often it's brought up in Eromanga and similar anime.

Szadek

Can someone explain the appeal of the monogatari series? Asking a serious question here. What makes it so popular and why is it critically panned? Cuz I saw it and it made me just hate anime and SHAFT.
1. Waifus...
2. ...that are also very interesting charcters
3. It's Shaft as fuck.
4. Very engaging dialogues

Cornbread78

Eeeeh they continue to say that they're not related in the series and keep reminding everyone that they're not related so I don't see a slippery slope here.
It's not like
Tsugumomo where the MC's sister is a brocon.

Even if they're not related by blood, the appeal of these sorts of relationships is supposed to be that it feels like incest even if it's made technically "OK" by not literally being incest.

Not much of a defense, but I think what sets Eromanga-sensei apart from the others is the fact that the two kids were introduced to one another later in their lives through a second marriage and never really functioned as a family unit because of the circumstances. The MC holds a strong will to act like and be a big bro to her, (creepily so) but we know those walls will come crashing down soon enough.

I suppose I should've specified the manga, but anyway I think you're getting caught up in the nuances of either situation. Sure, they're not the same situation, but they are similar concepts as I described before, even if Eromanga has a 'slightly' more okay reasoning for them seeking to change the nature of their relationship.

I guess I should also make it clear Eromanga and Usagi Drop don't really bother me either. I don't get offended or made uncomfortable by either, I just don't have an interest in that kind of story, either level of it. I also get bored by how often it's brought up in Eromanga and similar anime.

The very issue with Otaku pandering manga and LN adaptations, lol.

pbayne

Appealing character designs+waifus probably.
I personally burnt out on it. First season is amazing. Second season...alright. Third season about the cat girl i fell asleep watching it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
xAnCxjWHhjFpS.gif

Jex

[Kado] - 6

This was a pretty bad because almost nothing happened for basically the entire running time of the episode. You could boil down the key 'events' to handful of pretty short scenes. It feels like some of this material was stretched out to literally just fill time.

Qurupeke

Good characters, the visuals are rather unique and the dialogues are fun.
And quality fanservice. It pretty much covers all the bases

Senjougahara is the epitome of ideal anime girl.

I did not see the anime yet, but the novels are really fun. Even if some stuff are kind of weird. Like I don't think I ever saw the term pedophile used so many times in a single novel.

Oh so looking up Monogatari there's a lot less of it than I thought. All those, Kize, Bake, Tiki, Wiki, Diki, names are just the names of the arcs and it's really only had 3 seasons and 3 shortish movies. I thought each arc, since it had a different name was a 12 episode show all on its own lol.

Ascheroth

Oh so looking up Monogatari there's a lot less of it than I thought. All those, Kize, Bake, Tiki, Wiki, Diki, names are just the names of the arcs and it's really only had 3 seasons and 3 shortish movies. I thought each arc, since it had a different name was a 12 episode show all on its own lol.
I mean it still adds up to 86 episodes and 3 movies (with more to come), lol.

They are just the novel names.

And 86+ episodes and three one hour movies aren't that bad either.

Jarmel

Banned
[Kado] - 6

This was a pretty bad because almost nothing happened for basically the entire running time of the episode. You could boil down the key 'events' to handful of pretty short scenes. It feels like some of this material was stretched out to literally just fill time.
I don't know, I thought this was fine. The scene with the mother was nice and the other scenes didn't drag for me. The show has a slower pace to it in general.

phaze

Nisio at his worst is still probably an above average anime writer.

kewlmyc

Good characters, the visuals are rather unique and the dialogues are fun.
And quality fanservice. It pretty much covers all the bases

Senjougahara is the epitome of ideal anime girl.

First episode has her stapling the MC's mouth after saving her, then threatening him with scissors.

If she's the ideal, then anime fans must be sadists.

They are just the novel names.

And 86+ episodes and three one hour movies aren't that bad either.

Bakemonogatari is at 86 episodes? Holy shit. I thought it was just two seasons, 3 one hour movies, and a few OVAs.

Tsuki ga Kirei 4

Kids coming up with creative ways to hide their phones from their teachers is as Real as anime gets. Hiding them in an empty bag of potato chips and then taping it closed was a particularly clever method.

phaze

^ You heard right mein Freund.

There's no 'probably' needed in that sentence.

Well, the two eps of Medaka I saw were pretty bad
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif

------

Shoutouts to Tale of Melodies for having a dope OP.

Someone tell me if I'm correct in thinking the silhouette cut in ~middle is animated on ones.

Jarmel

Banned
Kado-6
16QuyBl.jpg

I thought this scene was going in a very different direction...
Yea this episode is definitely shifting the overall narrative direction of the show into something more along the lines of Arthur C. Clarke. I was sort of expecting dabbles of this but rather the anime is going all in on transhumanism. That conversation with the mother is probably key to the entire series in that Yaha might be doing all of this because he's lonely. I wish the anime had more scenes like that because it shows Shindo having an actual life outside the main narrative events. It makes him seem more human as he inevitably becomes less human.
I liked a lot of the framing in the second half when the cube was moving. Although it was sort of weird that there was air displacement and shockwaves when the cube was traveling as it largely seems to absorb whatever is in its surroundings. I understand the tank shells were repelled so it has a 'hard' mode but I thought that was more for defensive measures.
I don't know how you don't notice you haven't been sleeping for weeks(?). Yaha also looked kind of sinister at the end. Was that really Shindo's brain or just some display model for representative purposes?

Cornbread78

Sword of Oratoria ep.5
This was an action packed episode from start to finish with both warriors and monsters alike. The plot is still nowhere to be found, but at least the show is pretty to look at and Ais' guild members are a pretty interesting bunch to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom