• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Virgin Soul Episode 6:

On the other side of the coin, we have this continuing pile of wretched mediocrity; quite frankly I am done with this season for the time being.

JulianImp

Everyone knows that
Deishuu Kaiki
is best girl.

I especially liked those scenes in Hanamonogatari. Outrunning Suruga, man!

On a more serious note, I'd say Monogatari was so good for me because of the characters, the way the show develops them, and also because of how Nisio and Shaft managed to make a very dialog-heavy show into something really interesting. The way space, metaphors, pacing and framing are handled is so quirky and unique it really helps the show on top of how good most character arcs are.

You do need a thick skin (read: prior exposure to anime) to sit through its copious amounts of fanservice, though. However, anyone watching it should consider him/herself warned since the very first scene of the very first episode is a slow-motion pantyshot, for crying out loud.

Cornbread78

Panty & Stocking ep.11-END
fUZPaxP.png
Xenn6dU.png

AF59uSK.png

This is the ultimate low-brow comedy show, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't fun as hell. There were a couple shorts that were meh, but over all, the crude comedy and hilarious hijinks took over and made this a fun watch.

KraytarJ

Re: Creators 4
It seems like the focus is on the logistics of anime being real and not what would result from that, which is a real bummer. Basically instead of more sword-gun violin attacks it's just a whole lotta meandering nonsense.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 1

Think I'll watch through all of this now while I continue to wait for Diamond is Unbreakable BDs to finish coming out. I do have to ask, does Araki have something against moms? Holly here is eccentric enough to have some potential, and of course Josuke's mom in DiU is a fiery woman, but they get almost entirely sidelined through the entire story. Oh well.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 1

Think I'll watch through all of this now while I continue to wait for Diamond is Unbreakable BDs to finish coming out. I do have to ask, does Araki have something against moms? Holly here is eccentric enough to have some potential, and of course Josuke's mom in DiU is a fiery woman, but they get almost entirely sidelined through the entire story. Oh well.

I'd say it's in line with most mother characters.

Actually maybe better than most since they aren't dead. And of course there's Lisa Lisa.

blurr

Yet to watch Part 4 and second half of Part 3, first half was alright from what I recall. Nothing unremarkable aside from the trip to India, didn't expect that.

Kado 6
download.png

I'm willing to bet
taking the 251 passengers into Kado wasn't a mistake now. It's possible they've all been altered in the same manner as Shindo, and were basically a test batch for Yaha-kui zaShunina.

Jintor

The Legend of Korra s3 1-3

Uh i thought this was meant to be the good season? I'm skipping through it and man apart from the art direction, occasionally the VA, and the fight animation this is just kinda of... trash? Like a step up from s1 and s2 sure but still ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

god ATLA, how you have fallen

LotusHD

Banned
The Legend of Korra s3 1-3

Uh i thought this was meant to be the good season? I'm skipping through it and man apart from the art direction, occasionally the VA, and the fight animation this is just kinda of... trash? Like a step up from s1 and s2 sure but still ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

god ATLA, how you have fallen

Never got the seemingly intense Korra hate around here (But eh, could be a vocal minority), except for like S2 admittedly which was pretty bad. Actually I guess I do get it, ATLA really was that good, but Korra was still a lot better than most western cartoons you could be watching instead.

Jintor

yeah but just because sao is better than gutter tier trash doesn't mean i have to praise it!

s3 ep4

varrick's back! This metal city is dope!

so far my thoughts are: characters = pretty good, art direction = stunning, action direction = amazing, general writing = inconsistent as fuck, plot writing = fuckt

Jintor

korra s3 ep 5

okay this beifong stuff is legit.

Character stuff is so much more dope than the rest of this show's plot. And introducing the other sister BEFORE doing the flashback stuff (as well as knowing Lin for 2+ seasons before it) really helps

My Hero Academia 20

OH SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!! THIS WAS SO GOOOOOOOOOOD!
That Shinso fight, I never expected so much highlight animation from it...YOOOO! AND man do I love the way they animate OfA...it's crazy good. Kind of sad for Shinso though, but I really liked the *You can be a hero* moment too at the end. It was super emotional.

And also TODOROKI!!!! I mean damn...DAMN! This was aboslutely insane!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Just because someone has already done an abridged series doesn't mean you can't do your own better one.

What are they going to do, scream copyright?

NeonZ

Anime gets cancelled from time to time. Gundam X and Gundam AGE were both cancelled. Toriko was as well.

Gundam AGE wasn't cancelled. It was cut short as a franchise, since they wanted to make it something long lasting, but the original tv run itself was complete.

Toriko, Bleach and other long running shounen might end before the manga, but in those cases they're generally still running up to the end of allotted timeslot and just not getting renewed. Series that only run for one or two cour can't really go through that since the entire timeslot is reserved from the beginning.

Something like Gundam X's case doesn't seem like it'd happen nowadays, with the tv station just eliminating an anime slot midway through the show's run and using it for something else (since there wouldn't be any new anime ready to air there).

Edit: I just realized that you're probably referencing AGE's original 6 cour plan, but that was only said to be in the "planning stages". In the actual show we got even the first part lasted barely more than one cour, so I doubt it actually ran under that plan. There's also how there was a new show ready to take its timeslot as soon as it finished.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Gundam AGE wasn't cancelled. It was cut short as a franchise, since they wanted to make it something long lasting, but the original tv run itself was complete.

Toriko, Bleach and other long running shounen might end before the manga, but in those cases they're generally still running up to the end of allotted timeslot and just not getting renewed. Series that only run for one or two cour can't really go through that since the entire timeslot is reserved from the beginning.

Something like Gundam X's case doesn't seem like it'd happen nowadays, with the tv station just eliminating an anime slot midway through the show's run and using it for something else (since there wouldn't be any new anime ready to air there).

Edit: I just realized that you're probably referencing AGE's original 6 cour plan, but that was only said to be in the "planning stages". In the actual show we got even the first part lasted barely more than one cour, so I doubt it actually ran under that plan. There's also how there was a new show ready to take its timeslot as soon as it finished.
They were clearly intending to have a fourth generation​ protagonist with the whole premise of covering one hundred years and how abruptly it ended. They were probably told sometime during the second story to wrap it up giving enough time to replace it.

Season 3 of Korra is great but I'd still rank it under books 2 and 3 of Airbender. And I don't know if if necessarily ranks super higher than book 1.

A big issue I had with it is that after season 3 so many were willing to forgive the disappointing mess that was season 4.

Jintor

Korra: the rest of S3

Yeah, okay, that improved significantly from its very fumbly start. Once the villain group was in full swing and the mako/bolin korra/asami teams were rolling, everything worked out fairly okay. The action animation and direction was amazing, the battle and destruction of the Northern Air Temple, the second coup of Ba Sing Se, and the cliffside battle, all was some crazy shit.

(though it couldn't help screwing the pooch a little at the end with a little deus ex machina - all they had to do was establish beforehand the poison was metalic instead of Jinorra just kinda randomly knowing it? I guess she spirit-saw it or whatever but it's not very clear and just kinda pops out of nowhere.)

Jintor

wow how many coups can the earth kingdom have

man kuvira just kinda jumped off the deep end huh for a character that got introduced in one episode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom