• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Honestly, Kado would look so much better if it was just consistently done in 2D but it is what it is. This scene in particular stood out:
ZlQCf6P.jpg
Shindo is hunched over and drawn in 2D showing him being relaxed at home.
However the next frame of him is done in CGI and has his back straightened which counteracts both the point of the entire scene but also his previous body position. It's just sort of frustrating. The character designs just generally look a lot better in 2D and weirdly enough remind me of the character designs for Thunderbolt Fantasy.
Yaha in particular looks vastly superior in 2D than his CG model. Alas.

I find the CG character animation so aesthetically unpleasant that I don't want to watch more of Kado after 3 episodes.

It's unfortunate that Toei's CG department wasn't able to do as good a job here as they were in their more aesthetically cohesive work on the Precure films. Of course, Kado is a deliberately experimental show, but I can't say the experiment ended up a success.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
KADO Episode 6:

Eh, if I was all that bothered by a TOEI show looking like shit I doubt I would be watching anything from them at all. At any rate, yea, I do like the production design trying to make this seem like an epic moment of peril and tension with the KADO move but it just turned into the worlds most dull game of Katamari Damacy.I did like that the nature of quirky otaku science lady is an actual lampshading plot point that is relevant to the secret of WAM. I also like how the latest revelation was weaved through there on subtle level. Still my favorite show of the season.

Taruranto

Honestly, Kado would look so much better if it was just consistently done in 2D but it is what it is. This scene in particular stood out:

Shindo is hunched over and drawn in 2D showing him being relaxed at home.

However the next frame of him is done in CGI and has his back straightened which counteracts both the point of the entire scene but also his previous body position. It's just sort of frustrating. The character designs just generally look a lot better in 2D and weirdly enough remind me of the character designs for Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Yaha in particular looks vastly superior in 2D than his CG model. Alas.

I find 3D Shindo with his jacket not so bad, but that scene at home was awful on other hand. It looks like he's extremely uncomfortable in the second screen and wishes to be somewhere else.

Everyone else looks better in 2D.

Hanamori looks less stupid while Tsukai looks like a young, small woman instead of an overgrow child.

Cornbread78

Oh, absolutely. I would rank it among the better of those from memory though.
Funnily enough, I'm kinda starting to remember more and more things from it, haha.

Does it have a light tone to it? If it's light hearted and fun, I'll check it out when I finish Silver Spoon.

Well, Blood C, Record of Lotass Wars, Level E and 7 Deadly Sins are some of the next ones I'm watching..

Replacing Kino's Journey, Panty & Stocking and Silver Spoon.

convo

I barely consume any German TV/film anymore but those voices are immediately recognizable. Guess the talent pool for that stuff remains very small.

I got this impression from at least playing the adventure games in german,the german voice of spongebob is seemingly everywhere.But yeah voice acting in germany doesn't seem to get any more new talent added to it .

Ascheroth

Does it have a light tone to it? If it's light hearted and fun, I'll check it out when I finish Silver Spoon.

Well, Blood C, Record of Lotass Wars, Level E and 7 Deadly Sins are some of the next ones I'm watching..

Replacing Kino's Journey, Panty & Stocking and Silver Spoon.
Typical battle/romance-LN tone I'd say. Kinda serious story, some drama, but also light-hearted moments.
It's definitely more on the serious side though, from what I remember.

zulux21

random thought.

animegaf should pick a series and abridge it >.>

speaking of which the new dbz abridged episode will go live on twich in about 90 min.

Kado - 06

I figured they would do something like that to move Kado. What's with the next step though? Sure, would it make things great for humans in terms of productivity? Yeah. Still, I don't know if I am on board with the idea.

Quasar

Something something deconstruction of harem

That's not really why I love it at all. Hell if I'm honest it never crossed my mind that it was one except that I read animegaf. Probably because the one relationship is settled and there's no real competition for Araragis affections. And the cast are never really together.

I think it's purely down to entertaining conversations between characters I like. Plus a visual style with its new wave influences I adore.

Quasar

Can someone explain the appeal of the monogatari series? Asking a serious question here. What makes it so popular and why is it critically panned? Cuz I saw it and it made me just hate anime and SHAFT.

Is it critically panned? Didn't know that. But then the only criticism of it I've actually read is Nick Creamers.

Build Fighters Try 4
C_q_A0_Wz_Ws_AAo_UWk.jpg
C_q_C55_ZXs_AIZECZ.jpg
C_q_DAOQXc_AQb0e_U.jpg

This fight was fun. I like the fights between SD Gundams

Try feels at odds with itself in a variety of ways, but perhaps the most noticeable aspect is how much meaner the rivalries feel in Try. Why are all the rivalries so intense? Why is the majority of the cast so rude to one another?

C_q_LL_o_WAAA43_Bw.jpg

Yeah, you show that small child.

Fumina and Sekai are cute I guess, if nothing else.

random thought.

animegaf should pick a series and abridge it >.>

speaking of which the new dbz abridged episode will go live on twich in about 90 min.

We are animegaf. We don't create, we only destroy.

Also I have no confidence we could do one as good as TeamFourStar or SomethingWitty. :p

And can I have a link to this supposed new DBZ abridged episode that will play on Twitch?

Qurupeke

Virgin Soul 6
I'm actually really, really surprised that Chris is Charioce. It was so obvious that I was sure he can't be Charioce and he was actually his good brother or something. I mean, he was going around the town with his jewelry and he even left his royal ring...

Anyway, another dance sequence, I loved it.

Yama no Susume S2 22

I confess I don't really understand this fear that Aoi and Hinata have. "If we fulfill our promise to see the sunrise together from this mountain peak again, what will happen to us?" Are they superstitious or something? They think that once they see the sunrise they'll drop dead? I suppose the show just wants to raise some kind of emotional stakes as it approaches its end, but it's not like this is high school graduation or anything that could actually potentially separate the two friends, so I can't really take this seriously.

You know, it's kind of funny that I planned to write this today after finishing Second Season yesterday. I guess with Owari: Season 2 on the horizon for summer and the recent BD release of Kizu: Part II, I can't help but imagine the franchise on more people's minds than it has been in a while. But you know that they say: a good story has the power to linger in the recesses of the mind, and I can't help but feel that Second Season has become a big part of that for specifically the reasons it diverges from what made Bake especially such a big success.

By the time that we had reached Neko Black, I think there was a realization that the format the show had been following up until that point was going to become a hindrance to its growth. Araragi makes for a fine protagonist because of his specific quirks and how their utilized in both Nise and especially Bake, but after two full seasons and a miniseries, the potential of the show was starting to lose a little bit of its luster for me. Enter Second Season, a compilation of five different light novels, but because each novel spanned the framework of a single arc, they had experimented a lot more than the previous works with storytelling styles and more importantly: protagonists.

Araragi is only in the lead role in exactly two of the five arcs, often sharing the limelight with Shinobu. But for the other three arcs, while his actions definitely have an impact on the narrative, he is almost completely absent from them, allowing their protagonists (some of which we as the audience barely know) to really shine as they come into their own. And I feel this is where the magic of Second Season really comes from. What hooked me and I imagine many others to the series as a whole was a consistently fascinating sense of style that was unlike anything else in the business (a combination of SHAFT's adaptation of French New Wave cinema techniques and Nisio's comically roundabout dialogue filled with interesting metaphors and an adherence to odd quirks you don't often find in modern Japanese writing), but whereas Bake is fantastic because of the way in which it shapes its narrative around your understanding of its style, Second Season takes away that familiarity and rewrites your understanding of what the franchise is capable of.

If Bake is a show that is memorable as an entity in itself, Second Season's biggest change is that it feels much more like a collection of moments. That might sound negative, but it's just a difference in perception. Because of the way these narratives have been split up and compiled in this manner rather than being parts of a whole like they were before, these moments that define each arc stand out far more prominently, especially because many of them get attached to characters who had not had any memorable moments to call their own before. And really, the moments I'm describing here (to name a few:
Hanekawa's confession to Araragi, Nadeko snapping on her class, Mayoi's farewell flub, Kaiki's deception of a god
) are among the best in the franchise, standing equal with some of the finest Bake and Neko Black could offer. But it does make watching Second Season a remarkably different experience than watching anything prior to it, though whether you'll be a fan of this change is really down to what your attachment to the franchise was rooted in prior to it.

It was definitely an ambitious challenge for SHAFT to approach this adaptation in this manner, but I feel they managed to pull this off with little to complain about (though one particular character's absence from the proceedings was a real shame, even if this was rectified well later). I'm kind of curious to continue watching into Tsuki and Owari as Second Season (and Hana) don't quite make it clear where the franchise is heading to, but after Second Season, I feel confident I'll be pleased wherever it decides to go.

Jintor

Yama no Susume S2 22

I confess I don't really understand this fear that Aoi and Hinata have. "If we fulfill our promise to see the sunrise together from this mountain peak again, what will happen to us?" Are they superstitious or something? They think that once they see the sunrise they'll drop dead? I suppose the show just wants to raise some kind of emotional stakes as it approaches its end, but it's not like this is high school graduation or anything that could actually potentially separate the two friends, so I can't really take this seriously.

i mean they just think they have a friendship predelicted on achieving a goal is all and are worried about what happens once the goal disappears

i mean they just think they have a friendship predelicted on achieving a goal is all and are worried about what happens once the goal disappears

But it's not as if Aoi and Hinata only became friends so they could see the sunrise from this one specific mountain peak, yeah? They didn't even decide to aim for this goal until midway through this season. So I don't really get why they'd be concerned.

At any rate, it gets resolved next episode so it's not a big deal.

Yama no Susume S2 23

I'm glad the sunrise lived up to the hype.

Saekano s2 05

Took the MC way to fucking long with realize there was something wrong, shit friend.

Hinako Note 05

Of course the tsundere is the one to fuck up during the play and not our skittish MC.

Berserk 19

Behold friends, the most frightening beast in Berserk.

C_qcp_Fc_Xg_AAe_W74.jpg

A Kelpie.

It's a frog horse.

Hey, a lot of the time the mundane or funny beasts are the viscous ones.

Ever fought a Cockatrice in Dragon's Dogma? It's a giant angry chicken and its only state of being is very pissed off. Its poisonous and can turn people to stone like a gorgon.

Build Fighters Try 4

Try feels at odds with itself in a variety of ways, but perhaps the most noticeable aspect is how much meaner the rivalries feel in Try. Why are all the rivalries so intense? Why is the majority of the cast so rude to one another?

Fumina and Sekai are cute I guess, if nothing else.

I spy Sakai and Sekai!!!! Best! of Try!!! I wish we got more of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom