• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
AoT S2 - 32

I love how relatively grounded and logical the fights in this show are. Sure, there's some suspension of disbelief required for all the 3DMG and Titan physics but then it's sublime.

As others have said: shame about the CGI Colossal Titan but at least it wasn't completely awful and you can kinda see how there might have been a tradeoff with the action sequences. Still, whenever the 2D rendition shows it's simply orders of magnitudes better looking. Though the focus was fortunately on the armored Titan anyways.

While the anime adaptation screwed over Eren's character development big time in S1's last 2 episodes he's finally getting a fight where he acts decisively and isn't just a raging meatbag. Feels good.

Man does this season have many tense cliffhangers but you can't blame them when the chapters lay them out so nicely and the show actually delivers.

Chindogg

One of Korra's biggest failings is its inability to build interesting relationships.

In that regard, the ending of Korra is downright comical when compared to the ending of Avatar. I know the amount of seasons Korra was going to get was kind of up in the air, but I don't think that excuses the flat character writing.

This is why I laughed at the ending. It felt more like confirming a ship for Tumblr rather than actually making a meaningful relationship. Especially given the scene between Korra and Mako right before the last scene.

Season 2 and 4 are just so goddamn bad.

1 is good and 3 is fantastic.

Kado Ep 6

This show is at its strongest when it keeps away from lazy magical science concepts and just focuses on the first contact aspect alongside the day to day activities of the governmental team handling everything.

The ending was unexpected but I had my doubts everything was well when the topic was brought up earlier in the episode and focused on for a scene. There is little to no reason to have that scene without it being relevant for the future, and behold it was.

I hope next episode they continue to have minimal presence of kawaii scientist.

Sterok

Twin Angel Break 6

How do these people not figure out each other's identities faster? Maybe the Twin Angels have a concealing aura, but it shouldn't have been hard to put two and two together to figure out who the twins are. Veil now crushes on Meguru. Mary trying to be lewd with Nasty Knight but only getting the chair was hilarious.

KraytarJ

My Hero Academia 20
The setup for Todoroki vs. Midoriya is now complete and both of the fights were pretty damn hype. Midoriya using the ghosts of avatars past and Todoroki just having no chill (or too much?) were both amazing.

Attack on Titan 32
I'm actually really coming around on this one, the battles surrounding the armoured and colossal titans are both really good with the armoured Titan being put into submission and the colossal Titan being forced to become a furnace, forcing them into a really crazy desperation move. Basically it doesn't feel as much like why are humans even bothering that it did earlier in the season.

duckroll

AoT 32

Alright fight. Direction is good as expected from the man behind God Eater.

Granblue 7

This episode was weird. Felt like some condensed plot or something. The narrative focus jumped all over the place even for something so simple. It doesn't really feel satisfying at all. The effects in the fight were really nice though. Everyone involved seems way too okay with the fact that the ruler of the island basically disappeared, tried to use an ancient godthing as a weapon, and then just claimed that he couldn't remember what happened and that there might have been someone else behind it. Really weird.

Ascheroth

BoRe: Creators 06

Okay, this was actually not boring. Mostly. The new character is amazing. Military dude seems to be no slouch either. Actually, all the 'villain' characters in this are fun.
But this makes it even more apparent how fucking boring all the goody-two-shoes characters are, which sadly happen to be the protagonists.
At least there was more action with Sawano music blasting and it looks like things are finally starting to get rolling?

Jarmel

Banned
Atom: The Beginning- 3-4
5pItd3p.jpg
kxYgED5.jpg

dIiBmM6.jpg
lTzd7hZ.jpg
This is the only thing worth watching for in this show (besides the OP). With that, I'm dropping this shit as I thought I could somehow continue watching for just the UIs but turns out, no I can't.

Titan MMA Championships 32

Holy shit. That was real good, CGI Colossal aside. But the animation with the 3DMG going on around him was so balls out crazy good that it hardly mattered.

The cliffhanger was excellent because of how abrupt it was. Like it just hard cuts.

Attack on Titan Episode 32 - Eren pulling out fucking MMA holds was hype as hell.

My Hero Academia Episode 20 - What I really liked about this episode/this section of the story is that it's a great indicator of how flawed the Hero system is. Society overly values quirks based on their combat prowess, rather than the actual character of the person.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Attack on Titan Episode 32 -
My Hero Academia Episode 20 - What I really liked about this episode/this section of the story is that it's a great indicator of how flawed the Hero system is. Society overly values quirks based on their combat prowess, rather than the actual character of the person.

Also people might be getting pushed into villainy based how a Quirk functions.

Also people might be getting pushed into villain based how a Quirk functions.

Yeah, that was some really clever writing by Horikoshi. The way the previous episode framed it, it was easily forgivable for assuming the dud was an asshole based on his actions, but then when you think about it, did he really use his quirk in any differently than anyone else?

LotusHD

Banned
Also people might be getting pushed into villain based how a Quirk functions.

That's one thing I love about this show. There's a lot of times when you see a superpower, and your mind wanders and thinks about the "dark side" of said superpower, because some of them are just pretty fucked up or inherently dangerous. MHA actually bothers to consider said dark side when writing for it.

Man I just rewatched episode 20 of MHA and man BONES is going all out on it. This episode was easily better then the manga this time. The feeling of rage and anger coming from Todoroki and his strength were shown in such an amazing way. Amazed was all I could be after that fight. Also the way they did the OfA moment for Deku damn, that moment of panic and the unknown....these next episodes people! We gonna get some of the best fights of the battle shonen genre.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
That's one thing I love about this show. There's a lot of times when you see a superpower, and your mind wanders and thinks about the "dark side" of said superpower, because some of them are just pretty fucked up or inherently dangerous. MHA actually bothers to consider said dark side when writing for it.

I would imagine this does portend towards something at some point.

Conan-san

Eromana Sensei 6

Yeah that whole thing with Fashion Twit and Sagiri having no concept of personal boundaries is not great (though at least it was handled a little bit more tasteful than the manga) but that's nothing compared to this pompous cow:
9KrdLS7l.png
mA9f73Il.png

I hope the two of them Food Wars her into next week with their work.

Parasyte, Episodes 1-6 - I've been watching an episode a day of this as part of r/Anime's rewatch of this. I missed the Toonami broadcast of it last year so I figured I'd jump on board with it. 6 episodes in and I've been enjoying it so far. The dub step soundtrack feels hilarious out of place though.

So couple of more episodes into the season. What's everyone watching from it?

Attack on Titan
Natsume
Recreators
Dragon ball super
Bastard magic teacher (can't remember the exact name)

Anything else I should be watching?

Attack on Titan
Natsume
Recreators
Dragon ball super

My Hero Academia is a must watch along with Tsukigakirei.

Tsugumomo and Boruto are also fun.

Ascheroth

Attack on Titan
Natsume
Recreators
Dragon ball super

My Hero Academia S2
Kado - The Right Answer
World End aka SukaSuka
Bahamut S2
ID-0

Loona

Re:Creators 6

The complainst of the people complaining about too much talking and not enough action get addressed.
What really puzzles be is that our PoV protagonist seems to have figured out the origin of our sword violinist, but fails to communicate that when given the chance... maybe it's early shock and digesting the situation, but that better come up properly next time.
I guess the new girl's abilities work based on weird JoJo-like circumstances, like getting other people to say things that work against them? She did repeat that "lie within a lie" bit on a couple of occasions, like it was some sort of enchatment being cast... I got the impression that if Alice's lance hadn't been stopped, she'd somehow end up inflicting a wound on herself...
Also, I wasn't expecting Blitz to fly, he's one of the more grounded-looking characters... it look dramatic to aim the camera up at him for that scene, but it kinda clashes with his aesthetics...

Meanwhile, Kado 6's final scene is starting to hint at something really messed up, and I wonder what it'll take to deal with it if things go south...

cj_iwakura

Sailor Moon Crystal S3 (or rather, S-2) Episodes 1-3

The fact that I was compelled to watch them in sequence speaks volumes. Massive, MASSIVE improvement over Crystal S1 & 2. I'm intrigued with the new story elements, since S is one of my favorite seasons. A bit bummed that they're going through the Witches 5 at a clip, but that's life in the big city.

The new OP/ED are great too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom