• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thud

Korra: the rest of S3

Yeah, okay, that improved significantly from its very fumbly start. Once the villain group was in full swing and the mako/bolin korra/asami teams were rolling, everything worked out fairly okay. The action animation and direction was amazing, the battle and destruction of the Northern Air Temple, the second coup of Ba Sing Se, and the cliffside battle, all was some crazy shit.

(though it couldn't help screwing the pooch a little at the end with a little deus ex machina - all they had to do was establish beforehand the poison was metalic instead of Jinorra just kinda randomly knowing it? I guess she spirit-saw it or whatever but it's not very clear and just kinda pops out of nowhere.)

Zaheer is best character.

Jintor

Zaheer is best character.

He was pretty good, he had good planning, good discipline, and respect for his teammates. Unfortunately his motivations were about metal gear level in terms of mass social darwinism so he gets minus points for that.

Now watch season 4 and see characters absolutely ruined

PTSD korra is pretty interesting. Kuvira kinda... got introduced in one episode and then i guess went insane?

/edit jesus, shadow/avatar state korra is 2sp00ky

//edit can someone pls assassinate prince wu already

Just T

Uchouten Kazoku 2: 1-5

Finally started and caught up to the latest episode. I’m really glad this show came back for a second season, which seemed very unlikely. The atmosphere in this show has always been great, the fantastical side of things are blended very well and kinda gives off this natural feeling that’s just enjoyable to watch. This new season had a pleasant start and as entertaining as ever. Besides revisiting some old characters, the new ones are very intriguing. There is Tenmaya, wonder what role he’s going to play for the reminder of the season, just a trickster or serious obstacle, what he first did to Yasaburou was very risky for Yasaburou. Then there is Gyokuran, who has been a sweet character with elegance but the times she has snapped on Ginkaku and Kinkaku, who have been very annoying, is appreciated because once again they too much. The confession scene with the assistance of Akadama was very sweet before it was ruined. Lastly is Nidaime, besides his grudge with Akadama, the building animosity between him and Benten has been interesting. At first I thought it was just Benten’s sly and carefree nature in full effect but after the latest episode wonder how the first meeting went. And of course, curious what role Yasaburou will playing in fixing the water’s flow as his Grandmother put it.

Next will either check out the new seasons of Shingeki no Bahamut or Natsume Yuujinchou or perhaps start something new like Sakura Quest. While watching one of those will also be wondering why Little Witch Academia isn’t on Netflix yet.

He was pretty good, he had good planning, good discipline, and respect for his teammates. Unfortunately his motivations were about metal gear level in terms of mass social darwinism so he gets minus points for that.

PTSD korra is pretty interesting. Kuvira kinda... got introduced in one episode and then i guess went insane?

/edit jesus, shadow/avatar state korra is 2sp00ky

//edit can someone pls assassinate prince wu already
PTSD Korra tries to make up for the fact I dislike Korra as a character.

But it'll be bad once you meet Bolin and the other guys. Kuvira is such a shitty villain to end on, and the show quickly forgets its an avatar show and ends in a what the fuck final fight.

Jintor

s3 and ptsd korra so far has turned me around on korra as a character, i think she's an interesting character who's a victim of the show's rather flat writing for the most part. And that she has zero chemistry with mako in the first two seasons when they were trying to push them together didn't help.

bolin and mako i can kinda take or leave anyway so eh

man i still remember being so disappointed with Amon. That dude was an amazing villain right up until they revealed who he was, which was shit

I'd say it's in line with most mother characters.

Actually maybe better than most since they aren't dead. And of course there's Lisa Lisa.

I suppose what annoys me here is that, unlike completely absent parent figures, we get enough of the characters to tantalize but not enough to truly satisfy.

Don't spoil your JoJo appetite when we'll probably get Part 5 soon-ish!

I don't expect Part 5 to come out this year.

Jintor

uh why would you double down on the cg

why would you have robots in avatar? oh i forgot i guess asami's dad made a few. i also forgot that was real dumb

DBZ Abridged - 58

Tien: And how many tournaments have you won?
Vegeta: I dunno, how many planets have you blown up?
Tien: None.
How many Gokus have you beaten?

This is the funniest episode I've seen in a while. The way Goku idiotically made himself look worse on TV when talking about Chichi was hilarious.

One of Korra's biggest failings is its inability to build interesting relationships.

In that regard, the ending of Korra is downright comical when compared to the ending of Avatar. I know the amount of seasons Korra was going to get was kind of up in the air, but I don't think that excuses the flat character writing.

Jintor

i feel like it's more like there are interesting relationships here and there but the writing attempts to force or focus on the wrong ones half the time, or they get sidelined for the sake of the plot, which is mostly garbage.

like, at least they finally identified the asami/korra relationship as being by far the most interesting of the new gaang.

zulux21

Just because someone has already done an abridged series doesn't mean you can't do your own better one.

What are they going to do, scream copyright?

In fact I know of at least one group that spends their time taking dbz abridged audio and reediting the videos with different shows such as steven universe :p

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Attack om Titan Season 2, Episode 7:

The Toonami version of this is going to be fun with all of the UFC and WWE references that will be thrown about.

Tuck

what the fuck? is this a recap episode?!?!?

As shitty as that was, and for all the faults Korra has, thats one I'm more or less willing to forgive since it was because Nick cut their budget and they(IIRC) didn't want to lay off staff so they did that instead.

EDIT: For some reason I thought you watched Korra as it was airing, could of sworn I saw you in the thread. Guess not =/

Jintor

As shitty as that was, and for all the faults Korra has, thats one I'm more or less willing to forgive since it was because Nick cut their budget and they(IIRC) didn't want to lay off staff so they did that instead.

EDIT: For some reason I thought you watched Korra as it was airing, could of sworn I saw you in the thread. Guess not =/

i watched s1 and s2, but i got really busy around s3 and never caught up until now

Attack on Titan 32

Eren looked really cool here! The whole fight was cool! But I did find the earlier bit mixing with flashback kind of weird. They just broke the pacing of the fight a little bit weirdly.

Also worst type of cliffhangers.

Stardust Crusaders 2

It's interesting looking back at this retrospectively after Diamond is Unbreakable. I can see seeds of what would blossom into the directorial flamboyance of the later anime - the famous transitions, the heavily layered visual approach - they're just on a much more restrained level than what DiU would go for. It makes me think a little better of the Stardust Crusaders anime, actually, although the sluggishness that can be felt throughout does hurt it. Every moment feels just a little more dragged out with extra words and reactions than it should be. It's still entertaining if you let it flow past you, but I'm glad DiU went back to a faster pace.

what the fuck? is this a recap episode?!?!?

Avatar really is anime after all.

Jintor

Korra - s04 ep14

I... uh.... jesus christ. seriously? seriously??!?!?!?!?

fuck. This is dumb as shit. and they were doing so well until now.

I have a feeling you'll be one of those guys who were right alongside me the whole way through season 4 as being disappointing (if not trashy) and then getting to the ending and being all 'but wait guys, it wasn't all bad 10/10"

Jintor

I have a feeling you'll be one of those guys who were right alongside me the whole way through season 4 as being disappointing (if not trashy) and then getting to the ending and being all 'but wait guys, it wasn't all bad 10/10"

lol actually the opposite, i was kind of with s4 on non-plot stuff up until now but this latest bit is really fucking stupid

/edit it's pretty great that you can't control a giant robot with normal controls or even handles if you're a metal bender, you still gotta stand up and do the wavey arm things to move the handles

Let's wait until you get to the ending, and then I'll see if you're my nakama* or not

Translators note: nakama means person with good taste.

Oh wait was 14 the ending? I can't remember episode count

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia 2nd Season Episode 7:

Ah yes, we couldn't have a tournament arc without, well, the actual tournament and we get two matches for the price of one and while they had different foci, the plan in both cases was to get some aspect over with the crowd both inside and outside the universe. The first match was actually mostly designed to get Shinso over as a sympathetic character as well as establishing new paradigms of the One For All quirk. Meanwhile Torodoki gets a classic jobber match wherein he gets put over and his offense is made to look ace. Also, Deku gets punched in the face and that will get old.

Jex

[Attack on Titan] - 32

This is basically everything I could have wanted from this adaptation. Amazing episode.

(Shame about the CG though).

duckroll

Granblue - Episode 6

Okay episode. Exciting set up for the next one. Hope we get some kickass action. :D

Bahamut S2 - Episode 6

Good episode. Love the dance and the musicians. Good animation. Awesome production values. Decent set up for the battle next week. Hope we get some kickass action. :D

Re:Creators - 06

This new villain character I swear could be straight out of a Monogatari. The way she talks and all, all that she needed to do is tilt her neck every few sentences

AoT 32

Well, at least there are still some parts with 2d Colossal Titan

H8ebt9y.jpg
HUfDGpR.jpg

I also liked the small touch of the armor sound effects for the Armor titan.

Kado 6

Boring episode. The type to wind down used in one episode after a thrilling arc and before starting a new thrilling arc but... the episodes before weren't precisely thrilling nor they had a break neck pace, so winding down wasn't really needed, you know?
Obviously, the interesting part was in the last 30 seconds (kind of like the 5th episode, now I think about it).
So while people don't have a problem if an alien offers infinite, clean energy, there will be much more problems when he suggests putting their brains in another dimension and using their bodies remotely (or something like that, I suppose). The scifi ethical questions should come in a big way.

Thud

He can fly.

Avatar Wan and Zaheer are the best things in Korra. And the facial expression gifs.

Really? The shading seems typical 2d to me. Maybe they drew over a 3d composition. Any take by the experts?
That's my take on it, having gone back and watched that part again. Several CG parts actually seem to have been retouched in 2D pretty much everywhere. You can kinda tell when it's 3D though, the lines and whatnot look a little blurrier than those in 2D. You also see post effects such as motion blur in spots, and depth of field that isn't really used in the 2D portions, at least not in the same manner. Still, the 3D techniques used in this show are still quite good, I had to stop at points so I could see whether or not the Titan was being displayed in 2D and 3D. It's kinda like Kado, which in sections can look amazing and trick your brain pretty effectively, but in others, it totally misses the mark (specially when animation work is robotic as hell)

Re:Creators 06

With the introduction of the new character to actually shake things up, I thought this episode was a lot better. Finally felt like this episode was what should've been happening from the start. Not enough mecha boy though. Also, Meteora is probably the worst character in this show, she practically turns every scene she appears in into some slow slog of exposition.

Jintor

Korra s4 ep04

Well that was a supremely dumb season with a dumb villain executed mostly competently with the exception of the final battle where they decided, for some fucking reason, to base most of it around a really shitty-looking giant robot firing a laser. I don't think i feel as strongly about it as woofington and it ended with the famous asami/korra shiptease so i can't be too mad (even though unfortunately they barely interacted throughout this season...)

ATLA S2 > ATLA S3 > ATLA S1 > LoK S3 > LoK S4 >>> LoK S1 > LoK S2

JulianImp

Kuruko S1 - up to #4
I was kind of fearing the two guys with odd hair colors would end up hogging the spotlight, but the team's small enough that it at least gets to work somewhat decently, while the increased screentime they get helps develop their characters.

Still, I wonder how much I'll actually enjoy the matches if they're so much about the teams trying their darnest to counter the other team's star player/s, since that random power-up model-kun did when they were tied did feel like a cheap asspull to add drama, as opposed to, say, that whole explanation about how Kuroko's effectiveness at staying under people's radar dimishes the longer the game goes on, which makes sense. What doesn't make much sense, however, is that such a skill would probably be all but useless if his team ever played the same opponent more than once.

Jarmel

Banned
Goddamn, Meteora must have been the secret final boss in her game. She would just talk the enemy to death with hours of dialogue boxes.

Jarmel

Banned
Hiroe is so much better with villains that it makes watching Creators is painful due to the focus on the milquetoast protagonists.

Aim for the Ace 21

That was perhaps the lamest car accident in anime. At any rate, I can't say I find athletes putting their bodies in unnecessary danger by playing through painful injuries as inspirational as this show wants me to find it.

NeonZ

They were clearly intending to have a fourth generation​ protagonist with the whole premise of covering one hundred years and how abruptly it ended. They were probably told sometime during the second story to wrap it up giving enough time to replace it.

Nah, they had only the three protagonists we know from the beginning in promotional art. The abrupt ending is just another example of the show's bad ideas and execution, like the odd transition between Generations (War is conveniently on a complete standstill between Generations 1 and 2, while at the end of Gen 2, Flit takes power, uncovers a Vagan conspiracy and pursues them... time skip to Gen 3 - Flit is retired and the story begins with Vagans infiltrated everywhere launching surprise attacks - there's just no narrative flow).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom