• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

In order for this sort of 'deconstruction', which itself is a highly contested term, to apply you'd actually have to have a very similar setting to the shows you're supposedly deconstructing. Otherwise a comparison doesn't work to begin with.

Yup. I mean, it's not so much a deconstruction of any sort in so much as it's just pulling a bunch of character archetypes from the wider genre of what is considered to be a "magical girl" show and slamming them together into the same work. Even the fact they are supposedly working for the general good rather than battling an evil empire or whatever isn't even really all that interesting as that's where the entire genre essentially started and lingered for decades before things like Sailor Moon really took off in the 90s. The entire point of Koyuki is that she's essentially the platonic ideal of the magical girl as they originally existed - nice, non-combative and solving what often ultimately seems like relatively trivial issues with her magical powers. Like, I dunno, DoReMi without the killer sense of humour.

The implementation of the show itself is pure exploitation cinema, though. There's nothing particularly wrong with that, but the violence and the misery is the real attraction here - almost everything else of interest is ripped wholesale from something else, and the show is often excessively and needlessly mean and cruel to its own characters purely for the shock value that induces.

Not that I don't think that's fun, but the show is shallow as all heck, honestly, and can't even keep its own thematic messages straight.

blurr

I am not too sure what the consequences are though. So far my experience with the show has been that a complicated problem is presented, a simplistic solution is found, and nothing really occurs on the other side of that. There is no real hardship, struggle, or change. Things just kind of....happen with no real result or follow-through. The international incident and the introduction of infinite energy sources was especially egregious in this regard. I'm just not really sure what the show has going for it other than the premise.

Yea, the immediate consequences have little going on and IMO that's within reason but their discussions on long term consequences were what I found interesting and might just be inevitable even if the show doesn't actually reach that point. The Wam revelation was a simplistic solution because of the way it was made, the conflict wasn't with how they were going to reveal its creation but whether or not they should in the first place keeping in mind the long term consequences(the discussion betwen the PM and Yah). This is where fiction enters and elevates the situation than concluding it. I was surprised that we were still mid way through the show at that point.

Well, I can answer the science part. Firstly, physicists are overrated as heck in a first contact situation. Not to mention I hate the insinuation that physicists are the "smart" scientists. Anyways, I don't think it's asking much get a variety of scientists to work on this sort of situation. Science is a collaborative effort. This lone genius trope is all just a mythologizing of science. Which okay, this is like in a lot of science fiction and stuff, so normally I wouldn't begrudge them for it.

But then they went ahead and did that scene with the paper folding, and fuck me, that scene was unbearable in its smugness. It's a scene that on the surface looks so clever, but in reality it's freaking stupid. It's the vision of science from a child's perspective. It's the sort of crap that just outright smashes all pretense that it is "grounded", and it's nothing but hot air. At least in other shows with shallow representation of science, they understand that what scientists do are detective work, but this show couldn't even be bothered with that. Furthermore, this situation makes me think if like Shindou, if we are even dealing with a person here. What is this thing that just looks at these spheres and just go, okay it's just shapes!? This is the ideal of a scientist, not a real scientist, And even then, it's more like the ideal of a robot whose programming is some twisted idea of "science". They took the idea of genius so far that it made her look an obnoxious inhuman who thoroughly flaunts the concept of professionalism when this delicate situation is precisely the situation where professionalism is very important.

With regards to science, I feel like ibyea has already explained this pretty thoroughly, but I'd still like to weigh in on this. The pursuit of knowledge through the scientific method is a lengthy, arduous and rigorous process. It is an ongoing venture that is the combined result of millions of people working for thousands of years to better humanities understanding about the universe. In Kado, this gargantuan undertaking is exemplified by the work of one 'quirky' genius who rolls around with some spheres for a while before having a revelation. This Hollywoodification of science would be merely tiresome in any other work but in a serious that clearly fancies itself as having a 'hard' science fiction leaning, such a shallow depiction of science is completely insulting.

I agree with you on the scientist albeit the show also makes use of her personality at one point claiming that she has a stronger affinity towards the other dimension due to it. That aside, I'm not taken aback with its simplistic view of research but I haven't found it to be strong point of the show either, it utlizies them to elevate a premise and little beyond. Personally, I'm not in it for the science but the ideas/gifts and their consequences. That said, a more accurate depiction would be more than welcome.

See, I thought I was being unfair to the show regarding that, but then I remembered the explanation the alien gave as to why they landed on Japan, the way the UN looks thoroughly like a villain, and Japan has the noble prime minister sticking it to those greedy politicians and always thinking about humanity. It just feels bizarrely lopsided in its view points. Edit: In fact, this show is more akin to Independence Day than to Arrival. Except at least Independence Day realizes it's a fun super not serious movie despite the obnoxious "Fuck yeah America!" underlying it.

To put it as broadly as Kado - nearly every topic is the show examines is represented by maybe one or two fairly shallow characters who stand in as 'representatives' for an entire field. The show paints with such a ridiculously broad brush that I cannot fathom why it even bothers to touch on as many topics as it pretends to have an opinion on.

In terms of the representation of the media, the series decided to focus its energy on focusing on one particular reporter, but still fails to sketch his character in any depth. He is Mr Scoops, a man who chases the Truth by Being There First. Is that his only skill - swiftness? In 2017, is there any particular merit in the reporting carried our My Scoops, who has such piercing revaluations as "It's a really, really, big cube. You won't believe how big it is!". In a world where everyone with a phone (or a drone) has the potential to capture the exact same images as him I'm not sure why we're even following his "story". It seems to be such an outdated, and simplistic, depiction of what gathering and disseminating information to the public actually entails.

In terms of geopolitics, I see that some of you are suggesting that the show presents a 'realpolitik' perspective where nation states act in their best interests, but I can't really agree. Leaving aside the question of whether the appearance of the Wam in Japan is an issue for the UN Security Council alone to deliberate on, I find both the speed and unity of response from the other major nations a little surprising. Moreover, I find their threatened 'sanctions' against Japan unconvincing. Leaving aside the question of economic sanctions (which would surely lead to problems for both sides as the world requires many of the goods that Japan exports), the notion of using military force against Japan is completely ridiculous. It's existence in the series, even as a veiled threat, is patently ridiculous. Under what grounds would the people of the world accept a UN invasion of the nation of Japan, an undertaking which if actually enacted, would cost the lives of potentially hundreds of thousands of Japanese civilians. A completely bonkers proposal.

Even ignoring the complicated reality of geopolitics, taken on it's most basic terms, the show ends up depicting the world as the UN vs Japan. The UN are cast as greedy hoarders who want to take and control the alien technology, while Japan is an enlightened nation that merely wishes to spread and the aliens gifts throughout mankind. This isn't even subtext - the show literally says that the Japanese people are the most selfless in the world. It's not the normal kind or nationalism of exceptionalism that some of us may be familiar with - instead its a kind of undeniably smug nationalism about how the Japanese are the chosen people.

Yikes, I'm honestly not fazed with their depiction of UN and Japan, I felt the show isn't looking at nations with a conventional eye(as Yah comments in one scene), there is an attempt to separate humanity from nations/nationality which is what I find fascinating.

Also, Yah hints on Japan having a greater "sharing"-quality which(correct me if I'm wrong) isn't attributed to something indigenous to them but simply present as fiction, at that point I felt it really doesn't matter if it's Japan or not. If the problem is with glorifying Japan, it'd be the same with any other country with its own baggage in reality. Reality is what Kado seems to ignore but that's something I don't mind considering the perspective towards humanity it seems to hold. They might not behave the exact same way in reality but what if they did.

Clearly, you guys have a more meticulous perspective of media, geopolitics and nations in reality so I can understand how this feels so egregious, I've had similar experiences while watching some shows.

Just T

Natsume Roku: 7

Pretty good episode, it’s interesting learning more about Reiko and comparing her personality and experiences with Natsume. In that short time the group became really fond of her and for that same reason she didn’t go back. The bigger question that remains is who managed to get close enough for her to decide to let her guard down and let them get closer. Ah, and that final scene was pretty sweet, unexpected too haha.

Attack on Titan: 26

That was a pretty great return episode. Those last few scenes right into the ED were pretty chilling. It’s messed up what went down with Mike but it’s also surprising he could rouse himself even for a few seconds are that shock.

Kado: 0

So, after seeing this brought up here over the last week or so decided to check it out though after the latest discussion wonder if it’ll feel like a waste of time at some point haha. However, this little prologue was entertaining enough getting to know some of the characters and the ending scene was pretty intriguing

dickroach

I've got a million other things I wanna watch. I just wanted something lighthearted after binging AoT, and the description blurb on crunchyroll made it sound like a fun little show

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I've got a million other things I wanna watch. I just wanted something lighthearted after binging AoT, and the description blurb on crunchyroll made it sound like a fun little show
Masamune Izumi is a high school student who writes light novels. Sagiri Izumi is a shut-in who never leaves her room. A year ago, she became Masamune’s little sister. But one day, Masamune discovers a shocking twist—The artist "Eromanga Sensei," who has been drawing illustrations for his novels, is none other than his little sister Sagiri! His cute little shut-in of a sister, who has been living under his roof, is using an obscene pen name and draws lewd illustrations?!
It is exactly what it advertises itself to be...

dickroach

It is exactly what it advertises itself to be...

"high school student" "little sister"
I didn't expect it to be so.... kidfucky.
I thought it was just gonna be about a kid who writes books and has to deal with his sister.
I guess i should have paid more attention to "obscene" and "lewd".

Cornbread78

Watch Grimoire of Zero or even Bastard teacher for something a little more lighthearted and fun.

blurr

Sakura Quest 09

Yea, this was bad. I did not find any substory or the way it was presented interesting this episode. Some of the writing is just outright bad.

JulianImp

About Magical Girl Raising Project, I'd be inclined to agree that it isn't even a deconstruction, sinceit was just exploiting a mixture of Madoka-style dark and edgy magical girls with a Battle Royale premise. It really wasn't about the hazards of giving magical girl powers to anyone, since the whole point was that the Kyubey/Monokuma expy's plan was to recruit random magical girls and make them kill each other in order to entertain its master-pon. Then there was the fact that none of the characters were even developed during the show, and all the writers could come up with where convenient flashbacks to each girl's dark and tragic past airing in the very episode they'd end up getting killed in and, even worse, the flashbacks were only shown to us the audience as some meta-footage while the in-universe characters weren't even shown to have talked about it with others.

Even the finale was awful in that Monobag ended up being "defeated" by destroying some interdimensional transceiver that was broadcasting its messages to the girls, and they kept their magical girl powers anyway because of reasons or something.

"high school student" "little sister"
I didn't expect it to be so.... kidfucky.
I thought it was just gonna be about a kid who writes books and has to deal with his sister.
I guess i should have paid more attention to "obscene" and "lewd".

Take OreImo, flip a few letters around, and you'll get this show, EroImo.

But seriously, it's basically an alternate dimension OreImo where the siblings aren't blood-related and have barely interacted with each other prior to the show's start (so romantic feelings are a-ok!) and where both actually work in the same industry, so it isn't about the older brother playing along to help his sister make some friends.

The author could've basically made a much better show by rewriting Sagiri into a regular illustrator, but I guess he really wanted to have her ask her brother for help in getting girls to model for her lewd illustrations and see their panties while she's at it, because why the heck not... ffs.

JulianImp

I thought it was the same dimension now, because of that cameo ;P

It'd actually be hilarious if Kirino actually showed up as the ultimate LN author the MC has to top this season, and it'd be even better if that arc happened during the time she was married to her brother.

Still, you probably got what I meant... the author basically "fixed" OreImo to make it okay for the brother and sister to fall in love with each other.

Cornbread78

Saekano S2 ep.8
uuRZTiW.png
Holy $hit that was good. I mean, probably the best episode of both seasons so far for the show.. There were "no" steps forward, right.... right? Hell yes there were! This episode was not only great from a shipping standpoint, but really pushing the story forward; as in, towards a close because there is NO way they could truly finish in 3 episodes, so there is only 1 way this can end.... (poor Aki)

Either way, it was almost 100% conversation the entire episode, but the facial expressions, background music, the overall review and settlement of everything that had happened with the summary of emotions just fit perfectly. Also, those shopping/dinner scenes and general interaction with these two... yeah, this was excellent!

Deny it all you want Kato and Aki, but your emotions have changed, you have gotten closer and in more ways than either of you will admit...

This reminds me: I still need to watch Yuki Yuna is a Hero.

I asked everyone about doing a Let's Watch for it, but nobody replied.... : (

I've only heard of Ikuhara shows, but never actually watched one to completion. At least compared to the one episode of Yuri Kuma I've seen, Penguindrum seemed relatively tame.

Penguindrum starts the most normal of Ikuhara's shows before going off the symbolist deep end in its later half. Meanwhile Yuri Kuma doesn't give any kind of grounding before leaping into its symbolism, which is part of the reason it's the weakest of Ikuhara's works, in addition to the visual production not quite being able to keep up with Ikuhara's ideas.

Sterok

Did Madoka do more harm to the magical girls genre than anything else?

How many successors have there actually been in the six years since then? Daybreak Illusion, Wixoss (does that even count?), Yuki Yuna, Raising Project, I can't think of anything else. There are still more light ones, it's just that the dark ones generate more discussion (and not even always, see Flip Flappers vs Raising Project).

JulianImp

Tsuki ga Kirei - #8
I think the show's tempo is a bit too lax now. Like, it took them a whole episode to admit they were dating and almost kiss, and another to actually kiss. It's cute and heartwarming, but sometimes I'd wish the pace was slightly faster. Also, what the heck was up with calling this episode "sex life"? They just started dating, and it wasn't like any characters brought any lewd subjects up.

Finally, I've got to say the post-credit shorts are all kinds of bad in how they clash with the main show's tone, and wish they'd get scrapped for good. A story about a budding love relationship needs not be in the same place as some dumb 4koma gags about a guy who takes his girlfriend to a love hotel all the time, or shipping the MC's friend with his freaking teacher.

Tsuki ga Kirei - #8
I think the show's tempo is a bit too lax now. Like, it took them a whole episode to admit they were dating and almost kiss, and another to actually kiss. It's cute and heartwarming, but sometimes I'd wish the pace was slightly faster. Also, what the heck was up with calling this episode "sex life"? They just started dating, and it wasn't like any characters brought any lewd subjects up.

Finally, I've got to say the post-credit shorts are all kinds of bad in how they clash with the main show's tone, and wish they'd get scrapped for good. A story about a budding love relationship needs not be in the same place as some dumb 4koma gags about a guy who takes his girlfriend to a love hotel all the time, or shipping the MC's friend with his freaking teacher.

What?!

The post credit stuff are so much more interesting than the main content. :(

Cornbread78

Tsuki ga Kirei - ep.8
So freakin' cute... It's rare to get a show not bogged down with otaku trash and lots of fanservice. This show carries itself with a certain calmness and serenity. It's almost borderline boring at times, but these two match up very well when it is just them that it's tough to look away.

Alice & Zouroku - 08

Hmm it's getting too boring and that was some rather forced drama for the last 8 minutes. When the new characters encountered Sana I was all "oh nice, Sana can explain and help them with their magic troubles" and then Sana went full moron, and whether that's sorta justified by her feeling 'frizzled' doesn't even matter, that conflict wasn't any good.

petran79

Banned
Did Madoka do more harm to the magical girls genre than anything else?

Regarding serious and dark magical girl series,Arjuna preceded it with quality animation and character design,music by Yoko Kano and solid direction by Shoji Kawamori.

I found it difficult going from this series to Madoka but it wasnt the series fault.It just followed current trends,different from those of early 2000.

Penguindrum starts the most normal of Ikuhara's shows before going off the symbolist deep end in its later half. Meanwhile Yuri Kuma doesn't give any kind of grounding before leaping into its symbolism, which is part of the reason it's the weakest of Ikuhara's works, in addition to the visual production not quite being able to keep up with Ikuhara's ideas.

Probably because it is based on an original manga,whereas on Utena manga Ikuhara had also taken part in the story.

Szadek

Yuki Yuna is a Hero - Ep.1
I want to get this one done before the prequel-sequle/whateverthefuck starts.
That was an excellent start.
The first half was pretty cute and slice of life-ish. the start also reminded me a bit of an Precure episode.
Even then, this part of the epsiode felt a bit eerie, probably because there was so many very bright light sources.

The anime for much more interesting in the second half, where the characters are transported into a very strange looking alternate dimension or something.
Apperently they are supposed to fight against some kind of weird looking aliens.
What I really like is that the aliens are CG, which works very well in the shows favor, since it makes them look more otherworldly.

So far I like Yuuna Yuuki the most, but it's not like the other character got much time to shine this episode.
Consider me impressed. I had no idea that anime has such a strong start.

Conan-san

Regarding serious and dark magical girl series,Arjuna preceded it with quality animation and character design,music by Yoko Kano and solid direction by Shoji Kawamori.

Yes but when was the last time anyone mentioned Arjuna without it being in the context of "Oh thank good Kawamori left that wierd ass cult that caused him to be off his bar for five years?"

Saekano S2 - 08

These two are the reason why I watch the show. Their dynamic is too good. Obviously their relationship won't advance anymore than this, but you can clearly tell they care about each other a whole lot.

Tsuki ga kirei - 08

Cute couple. FINALLY they kissed!

Cornbread78

Sakurada Reset ep.9

Some of the scenery shots in this show continue to be really good..

The show itself is starting to delve more into the moral implications of doing to resets and how it affects everyone around Kei.

JulianImp

So, anyone got some recommendations for shows where characters and their character arcs are the main focus of the story? The only genre I'd rather avoid would be flat-out comedy.

I thought it was the same dimension now, because of that cameo ;P

Lol that's what I though too. When I saw that I was like, "No way...".

It'd actually be hilarious if Kirino actually showed up as the ultimate LN author the MC has to top this season, and it'd be even better if that arc happened during the time she was married to her brother.

Still, you probably got what I meant... the author basically "fixed" OreImo to make it okay for the brother and sister to fall in love with each other.

Dammit.

Saekano S2 - 08

These two are the reason why I watch the show. Their dynamic is too good. Obviously their relationship won't advance anymore than this, but you can clearly tell they care about each other a whole lot.

I haven't started this season but inferring off of you and CornBread I hope the two you are talking about actually become an item.

Of course, I am talking from a place where I've only seen season 1 and have yet to start the second season. Will have to catch up soon.

Edit: Always at the bottom...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom