• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't started this season but inferring off of you and CornBread I hope the two you are talking about actually become an item.

Of course, I am talking from a place where I've only seen season 1 and have yet to start the second season. Will have to catch up soon.

Naaaah no way. If it goes any further than this I'll be shocked.

KraytarJ

Saekano.flat 8
God damn Tomoya actually grew as a person finally. I mean he's still got a long way to go with even just Kato but it's quite a start. And I mean Kato is just as great as ever here, I'm not sure an episode focused on her could possibly be bad but it definitely didn't happen here. Also, in regards to their relationship I get the read they're just friends. Which in this particular series is incredibly refreshing and while the series could go in the direction of setting these two up (which would open up Eriri and Utaha to finally get together) but I hope it just stays where it is because what they have now is much more interesting than if they just get together.

Cornbread78

I haven't started this season but inferring off of you and CornBread I hope the two you are talking about actually become an item.
Of course, I am talking from a place where I've only seen season 1 and have yet to start the second season. Will have to catch up soon.
Edit: Always at the bottom...
Naaaah no way. If it goes any further than this I'll be shocked.

There was a lot of body language that stated otherwise in that episode. Especially when you take the conversation they had about growing closer and the relatioships changing because of that. Both are safeguarding their true emotions from one another, but there was obvious body language that tells they is more going on... Just look at the shopping and dinner scenes; those were scenes with young couples and not just friends..

So, anyone got some recommendations for shows where characters and their character arcs are the main focus of the story? The only genre I'd rather avoid would be flat-out comedy.

I almost want to say that Fairy Tail does this a LOT. However, it's not the whole anime..

Jarmel

Banned
Stardust Memory 8-13
r8HvVCP.jpg
This is an anime where everybody loses, including the viewer. Gato while being successful in executing Stardust Memory, ends up not succeeding in his long term goals and the operation backfires instead. Kou doesn't get his decisive battle with Gato and is never able to wash away his shame. Nina gets wrecked. Cima gets literally wrecked. Pretty much everybody on both the Federation and Zeon side die for nothing. There are no winners in this besides Keith and Mora. Kou double loses in this that he has to deal with Nina for the rest of his life, at least Gato was able to get away into the sweet release of death. I was actually starting to like the show going into the finale and bleh. Right, let's get to this.
Looking at the show as a whole, I can more easily see the comparison to Top Gun (which apparently was a direct inspiration for the show). That's mainly because of the tone shift in the second half of the show. Top Gun becomes a bit darker and somber once Goose dies and similarly Stardust Memory is more serious when Burning dies. There are two directors credited for the show, Mitsuko Kase (eps 1-7) and Takashi Imanishi (eps 2-13). Imanishi is more recently known for his work on Origin and getting fired for being drunk. I'm not sure if the split in directors was planned or if there were production issues behind the scene requiring this but a viewer can definitely tell the difference in direction. There are less jokes, more focus on action, and the color palette becomes visually darker. The show becomes more like a traditional 80's OVA series on the image side. It works though as the show doesn't feel that disconnected and instead comes across more as a progression. What starts off as Kou being goofy and awkward ends with him doing drugs so he can continue piloting.
The show is a transition piece both for the characters and the franchise. There are shifts on the mobile suit technology side that are depicted such as the evolution of the cockpit designs from being cramped and older to a more futuristic design. The GP03 marked the progression by the Federation into some of the later super mobile suits used in Zeta and CCA. Part of this is also attributable to the fact that the Federation has to expand their presence in space which requires a fundamental shift in mobile suit design.
GXkcXgO.jpg
PFKOgOr.jpg

GP01|GP03
Stardust Memory serves to fill in the gaps as it's both a sequel and prequel.The show also starts out as depicting the Federation as this generally humorous entity and slowly peels that away to show the shadowy cabal who are running the show. The series is essentially serving to fill in the gaps between the original Gundam series and Zeta, especially in regards to the Titans. Monsha in the first half is generally a pain in the ass but is treated comically however in episode 9 he's torturing an enemy pilot, violating wartime treaties about the treatment of POWs. At the end, Monsha joins the Titans which is a perfect encapsulation of the Titans' operating style.
The plot as a whole though is a mess. I thought the Federation was deliberately undersupplying the Albion so it would fail but that wasn't actually the case. The Federation is just that incompetent in that they would underestimate a nuke which ended up wiping out 2/3rds of their fleet in an attack that even an idiot could see coming. The admiral decides to use a naval review as bait which houses almost their entire space fleet and puts it in one perfect spot for Gato instead of spacing the ships out just for that sort of scenario. It's so insanely stupid that it's actually impressive. Then another admiral doesn't want to use the GP-03 to stop a colony drop for reasons. Now before someone says that it was a conspiracy to let the colony drop happen, the Federation was desperately trying to stop the colony drop and even used a super weapon on it. So I guess the Federation wanted an excuse to use their solar weapon? I have no fucking clue how a series of solar panels hundreds of ships long would be some last minute secret weapon but anime logic I suppose. Even if the Federation's goal was the creation of the Titans, their actions are contradictory and not in line with that goal.
KDTAX7j.png

The finale is Wako approved.
Ugh this is the section I wanted to write the least. Both Kou and Nina are painfully underwritten. Up until the final episode I could just accept Nina being unimportant as she generally doesn't do anything but she's not actively annoying. That last episode though...
Bitch what? Oh fuck off. You tagged along in a warship, stole one of their fighters, flew into a warzone, and got on-board a colony that is just about to hit Earth. Gato made zero efforts to talk or confront you. Hell I doubt he even was thinking about you until you popped up. Then Nina has the gall to act the victim as if her life was so difficult. It harkens back to Latuera who doesn't understand why Kelly was so desperate to pilot and so creates a theme that women don't understand why men fight. In addition to that, she's willing to ignore the fact that Gato was executing a colony drop that would potentially kill thousands if not millions. Anyway Nina dumps the loser that is Kou and gets with a winner. The problem isn't so much the decision in of itself but rather there is little in the show to justify that decision. There are no flashbacks or scenes that might flesh out her feelings for Gato. She's torn between Gato and Kou because the story dictates it rather than there being an established history which the viewer could use to understand her mental position. I understand that Nina interacted with Gato due to Anaheim's double dealings and their purchase of Zeonics but there's nothing on-screen that could be used as evidence for why she would pining for Gato especially after her relationship with Kou where she forced herself on him. Nina got all pissy throughout the series when Kou ignored her and then dumps him in the final episode for a previous lover anyway.
EFECo23.jpg

when you get ntr'd
Then there's Kou who is chasing Gato to reclaim his lost pride despite nobody really looking down on him or particularly caring. Kou is obsessed with Gato because the story again dictates it rather than anything organic. I saw someone wrote a review of the series and describe it as a coming-of-age story. If that is true then the staff failed miserably on that front. Kou doesn't ever gain a grasp of the 'larger picture' nor do I feel that Kou matured on an emotional front. Gato is the only one where I felt his mindset was established well. There are numerous small scenes throughout the show such as when he come back to Solomon that frame his emotions and make the audience understand how he's trapped in his longings of the past. Gato though at least has a vision and purpose to his actions. I guess you can make the interesting comparison that Kou is the one obsessed with revenge when it should have been Gato instead. I never felt though that Kou was ever in Gato's stratosphere quality-wise as a person, so much of the show doesn't come across as two rivals competing. That might be fine if the anime used Gato as a way of fleshing out and developing Kou but it never did which just leaves this imbalance.
IwhVqCf.jpg

No. You do not get to do this. No.
I can feel the bile in my throat from wanting to throw up. Nina chose Gato in the finale which while being underwritten, is what it is. What is enraging is when the anime tries to have its cake and eat it too. Unless Kou's offscreen reaction is looking at Nina and giving her the middle-finger, this is bullshit of the highest order. There's virtually zero on-screen time for any healing between the two parties and pretty much no off-screen time either. Kou has to be a serious beta-ass punk to start another relationship with her. I don't want to talk about this shit anymore. I thought her heel turn would be more establsihed or that there might be a scene afterwards where the two could start the healing process. Nope, he forgives her because he's a cuck.
I don't really want to talk about this show anymore but let me at least praise the visuals. So I wasn't that impressed with the animation in the first half but the space combat did end up making up for it. The fight between the GP-01 and GP-02 in particular was animated really well. The mechanical animations were topnotch all the way through and it's really striking how consistent and high quality they are. One area where I do feel it's a bit antiquated is the layouts as layouts nowadays are a bit more showy and impactful. Still, it's pretty awe-inspiring how these episodes were done with such few key animators. On the character design side, the designs seemed to have slipped more into the 80's era as the show went along. Near the end the designs felt closer to Yasuomi Umetsu then Kawamori's other works. I think it has to do with the increased chin and cheek area. On the audio side, the music was pretty decent. It wasn't exceptional or anything but I did like a few tracks and some of it stood out. The second OP and ED are trash though and are a serious step down from the first.
66OgfzC.jpg
Hd6Se2p.jpg
2IByy0r.jpg

I see GAF doesn't exist in this universe.
I can see why some people like Stardust Memory because if you ignore the character failings and some plotholes with whatever the Federation was thinking, it does have some interesting elements to it. Too many parts though are just undercooked and turn out to be critical to the narrative. Cima's background for example is never properly established and the show just assumes you know the hardship she's referring to. However by leaving aspects like that offscreen then the audience can't fully appreciate any particular hardships that individual suffered. It's a shame, as if some parts were tweaked I think this could be a lot better than it actually is. That final episode though is just too maddening.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Stardust Memory seems so cool when you're 13. It's so bad though. Has a dope OPENING!

Remember everything done in the UC as a midquel is there to make the Federation both more sinister and more incompetent. This is saying something as they are full blown the bad guys by the...second show chronologically.

Saekano Season 2 Ep 8

I really loved the bed scene it provides a lot of insight into both characters. Im hoping for them to get together but knowing the genre I know that wont happen.

dickroach

My Hero Academia 1-2
1: meh. let's see where this goes.
2.: ending with "oh, by the way, this is about me becoming the greatest hero of all time"
alright, fuck it, I'm in

Cornbread78

Saekano.flat 8
God damn Tomoya actually grew as a person finally. I mean he's still got a long way to go with even just Kato but it's quite a start. And I mean Kato is just as great as ever here, I'm not sure an episode focused on her could possibly be bad but it definitely didn't happen here. Also, in regards to their relationship I get the read they're just friends. Which in this particular series is incredibly refreshing and while the series could go in the direction of setting these two up (which would open up Eriri and Utaha to finally get together) but I hope it just stays where it is because what they have now is much more interesting than if they just get together.
Saekano flat 08
Best girl. Best episode of this show this season. This fucking married couple act these two pull off is disgustingly cute.
Saekano Season 2 Ep 8
I really loved the bed scene it provides a lot of insight into both characters. Im hoping for them to get together but knowing the genre I know that wont happen.

The episode was excellent from start to finish as it focused on those two working things out and moving forward. I have to say, I think they were both still holding back their true feelings for one another. I know how it will end, but this was great and led me to believe that there will be more...

KraytarJ

The episodevwas excellent from start to finish as it focused on those two working things out and moving forward. I have to say, I think they were both still holding back their true feelings for one another. I know how it will end, but this was great and lead me to believe that there will be more...
I'm really conflicted on where I want them to go. On one hand what they have is far more interesting than any of the other relationships in the series, both in terms of how they gel together as people and their producer duo. On the other hand their friendship is really cool too, and the "canon" relationship being a friendship surrounded by girls who actually want the MC is kinda funny for a harem to me.

Thanks for the write up, Jarmel! Hope you don't mind if I bring up another take on it.

Stardust Memory 8-13
This is an anime where everybody loses, including the viewer. Gato while being successful in executing Stardust Memory, ends up not succeeding in his long term goals and the operation backfires instead. Kou doesn't get his decisive battle with Gato and is never able to wash away his shame. Nina gets wrecked. Cima gets literally wrecked. Pretty much everybody on both the Federation and Zeon side die for nothing. There are no winners in this besides Keith and Mora. Kou double loses in this that he has to deal with Nina for the rest of his life, at least Gato was able to get away into the sweet release of death. I was actually starting to like the show going into the finale and bleh. Right, let's get to this.

So, this is where I often disagree with people. I actually like the bleak conclusion. I think 0083 is best viewed as a tragedy and it of course had to be as you point out later, since it's a bridging gap between the two different series. While everyone is indeed a loser, I think that speaks to an inescapable truth in life: You don't always win. I can see why it's a downer, and why it turns a lot of people away, but I think sometimes that's also reality. It's why I like the series at least.

Stardust Memory 8-13
Imanishi is more recently known for his work on Origin and getting fired for being drunk. I'm not sure if the split in directors was planned or if there were production issues behind the scene requiring this but a viewer can definitely tell the difference in direction. There are less jokes, more focus on action, and the color palette becomes visually darker. The show becomes more like a traditional 80's OVA series on the image side. It works though as the show doesn't feel that disconnected and instead comes across more as a progression. What starts off as Kou being goofy and awkward ends with him doing drugs so he can continue piloting.

I didn't know that about one of the directors. Cool. Anyway I sort of see the shift from jovial to serious as a kind of journey for Kou. At the start of the series he's innocent, and so is the viewer. Following the time line we've come to appreciate the Federation as a general force for good and the Zeon a true force of evil. Kou is completely and utterly enamored with the Gundam, much like the fanbase. But as the series goes, as he's forced to confront more grey areas, and question even his allegiance to the federation that innocence is lost and I think the tonal shift works really well.

Stardust Memory 8-13
The plot as a whole though is a mess. I thought the Federation was deliberately undersupplying the Albion so it would fail but that wasn't actually the case. The Federation is just that incompetent in that they would underestimate a nuke which ended up wiping out 2/3rds of their fleet in an attack that even an idiot could see coming. The admiral decides to use a naval review as bait which houses almost their entire space fleet and puts it in one perfect spot for Gato instead of spacing the ships out just for that sort of scenario. It's so insanely stupid that it's actually impressive. Then another admiral doesn't want to use the GP-03 to stop a colony drop for reasons. Now before someone says that it was a conspiracy to let the colony drop happen, the Federation was desperately trying to stop the colony drop and even used a super weapon on it. So I guess the Federation wanted an excuse to use their solar weapon? I have no fucking clue how a series of solar panels hundreds of ships long would be some last minute secret weapon but anime logic I suppose. Even if the Federation's goal was the creation of the Titans, their actions are contradictory and not in line with that goal.

So, one thing I think the series suffers from is requiring greater Gundam knowledge to appreciate the nuance of the situation. It's confusing otherwise and I can understand the impression that the Federation is just massively inept. For one several key players from Zeta Gundam are manipulating events from behind the scenes, namely Bask Om and Jamitov. But the series fails to includes these two very important characters early on. Instead we meet two other scheming generals or commanders, who indeed seem quite inept. We know at least one of these two was in contact and working with Cima, although it's unclear why they weren't prepared for the Nuke, seeing as they should've known about it. Maybe the intention was Cima never passed that information on, or they didn't think Gato could penetrate Solomon's defenses, but yeah, both excuses are a bit flimsy.

As for the colony drop. I think the idea is they didn't actually want the colony to drop. Note that the solar system laser is in place prior to the colony hitting the point of no return. The colony, presumably, would've been destroyed if not for Gato's lucky shots to the control ship. I think the initial idea of Stardust was just to allow the Zeon to get close, frighten the people of Earth and allow Titans to take control that way, by showcasing their might against a surprise Zeon attack. They failed of course, but the threat of Zeon was enough to carry through their plan to take control anyway. So they half achieved their goal, the imperfect outcome. Least that was my take away.

Stardust Memory 8-13
Anyway Nina dumps the loser that is Kou and gets with a winner. The problem isn't so much the decision in of itself but rather there is little in the show to justify that decision. There are no flashbacks or scenes that might flesh out her feelings for Gato. She's torn between Gato and Kou because the story dictates it rather than there being an established history which the viewer could use to understand her mental position. I understand that Nina interacted with Gato due to Anaheim's double dealings and their purchase of Zeonics but there's nothing on-screen that could be used as evidence for why she would pining for Gato especially after her relationship with Kou where she forced herself on him. Nina got all pissy throughout the series when Kou ignored her and then dumps him in the final episode for a previous lover anyway.

I think this a common misreading of Nina's character. I don't think she actually has any active romantic interest in Gato, at least I can't recall dialogue implying such. She still cares about him, as I don't believe their relationship ended as a true split, but I don't think she actively wants back with him. Heck she gets ready to shoot him when he won't stop the colony drop. She only sides with Gato when Kou tries to kill him. My read is that Nina has this weird pacifist tint running through her once she realizes both Kou and Gato are going to confront each other. She realizes she absolutely doesn't want to see either kill the other and defends Gato when it looks like Kou will in fact take his life.

Stardust Memory 8-13
Then there's Kou who is chasing Gato to reclaim his lost pride despite nobody really looking down on him or particularly caring. Kou is obsessed with Gato because the story again dictates it rather than anything organic. I saw someone wrote a review of the series and describe it as a coming-of-age story. If that is true then the staff failed miserably on that front. Kou doesn't ever gain a grasp of the 'larger picture' nor do I feel that Kou matured on an emotional front. Gato is the only one where I felt his mindset was established well. There are numerous small scenes throughout the show such as when he come back to Solomon that frame his emotions and make the audience understand how he's trapped in his longings of the past. Gato though at least has a vision and purpose to his actions. I guess you can make the interesting comparison that Kou is the one obsessed with revenge when it should have been Gato instead. I never felt though that Kou was ever in Gato's stratosphere quality-wise as a person, so much of the show doesn't come across as two rivals competing. That might be fine if the anime used Gato as a way of fleshing out and developing Kou but it never did which just leaves this imbalance.

I actually think their conflict is about zealotry and belief in ideals/commitment to a cause. Gato is an out and out Zealot. He believes so firmly in the Zeon ideals that he's failed to let go a war that's three years dead. There's a couple important scenes with Gato, and Kou I want to bring up.

Firstly, concerning Gato, there's a scene in Episode 5 where he briefly questions his ideals as Delaz says "You need to see the big picture." We see that Gato's doubts are near instantly cleared away and he reaffirms himself to the cause. Later on, in Episode 12? When Delaz tells Gato to complete the mission Delaz breaks down, revealing the truth at the heart of this operation: It's about pride and image. Delaz is so afraid of becoming a laughing stock that this isn't really some noble cause, some righteous strike to reinvigorate the Zeon forces, but rather about one final moment in the history books to satisfy his own inflated ego.

But Gato ignores this, and chooses to sacrifice his life anyway to a dead cause. Kou conversely goes through the opposite journey. Kou, as I mentioned above, starts as an innocent naive pilot, who is enamored with the Gundam and the Federation. It's through his interactions with Kelly, the death of Burning, the GP03 incident and his final confrontations with Gato that Kou is challenged in his views of the Federation and his zealotry.

I see Kou's pursuit of Gato as trying to live up to the man. To try and be him and match his fanatical zealotry. But Kou, continually disillusioned rejects that after he fails to defeat Gato and was nearly killed by the Federation. Unlike Gato, Kou is confronted by the true face of the Federation and chooses to turn against it, literally as when he points his weapons at Bask.

Stardust Memory 8-13
I can feel the bile in my throat from wanting to throw up. Nina chose Gato in the finale which while being underwritten, is what it is. What is enraging is when the anime tries to have its cake and eat it too. Unless Kou's offscreen reaction is looking at Nina and giving her the middle-finger, this is bullshit of the highest order. There's virtually zero on-screen time for any healing between the two parties and pretty much no off-screen time either. Kou has to be a serious beta-ass punk to start another relationship with her. I don't want to talk about this shit anymore. I thought her heel turn would be more establsihed or that there might be a scene afterwards where the two could start the healing process. Nope, he forgives her because he's a cuck.

I think this is a narrow reading of the situation and hinges entirely on believing Nina actively wanted to rekindle a romantic relationship with Gato, rather than refuse to see either man she cares for kill the other. I do agree, however, that the show skimps on the healing time for either character, forcing audiences glean what they can from events and piece together their healing for themselves. It's here I'd agree it becomes most obvious that Gundam 0083's main focus was bridging the gap, rather than servicing it's characters. Truthfully I think it would've helped audiences disappointed in the tragedy, and understanding the characters, if there'd been a 14th episode, similar to 8th MS Team's final episode which is entirely character focused and devoid of the main plot.

Stardust Memory 8-13
I don't really want to talk about this show anymore but let me at least praise the visuals. So I wasn't that impressed with the animation in the first half but the space combat did end up making up for it. The fight between the GP-01 and GP-02 in particular was animated really well. The mechanical animations were topnotch all the way through and it's really striking how consistent and high quality they are. One area where I do feel it's a bit antiquated is the layouts as layouts nowadays are a bit more showy and impactful. Still, it's pretty awe-inspiring how these episodes were done with such few key animators.

I definitely agree that as the series hit its mid point the art picks up considerably, making the final episodes, no matter how you feel about them, look incredible.

Stardust Memory 8-13
On the audio side, the music was pretty decent. It wasn't exceptional or anything but I did like a few tracks and some of it stood out. The second OP and ED are trash though and are a serious step down from the first.

I actually really like the incidental music and think it adds a lot of intensity to the scenes. I agree though the 2nd OP/ED aren't great.

Stardust Memory 8-13
I can see why some people like Stardust Memory because if you ignore the character failings and some plotholes with whatever the Federation was thinking, it does have some interesting elements to it. Too many parts though are just undercooked and turn out to be critical to the narrative. Cima's background for example is never properly established and the show just assumes you know the hardship she's referring to. However by leaving aspects like that offscreen then the audience can't fully appreciate any particular hardships that individual suffered. It's a shame, as if some parts were tweaked I think this could be a lot better than it actually is. That final episode though is just too maddening.

There are some plot holes, but I've never quite agreed with the assertion that the characters are a failing. I do think they are under serviced and difficult to immediately understand. That's not me saying they're immensely complex or anything, that it takes a true fan to appreciate them, but that the justification and rationalization for characters like Nina, are incredibly subtle and under visualized. I think it's all there, but it's at a blink or you'll miss it level because Mecha Porn and Bridging the gap were far more important.

Cima's under exploration is one of the biggest shames I think. I think she works for the role she plays in the story, but the interesting angle of her being a somewhat sympathetic, or understandable character, are dropped.

I appreciate your thoughts though even if we don't agree. It was nice seeing someone's thoughts on their (rewatch was it?) of 0083 and how they reacted to everything. I agree it's not perfect, but I've always enjoyed the bleak ending as I think 0083 does what a lot of Gundams don't really do-- which is sell that war fucking sucks. The ending is upsetting, but I think that's what makes the series for me.

Cornbread78

I'm really conflicted on where I want them to go. On one hand what they have is far more interesting than any of the other relationships in the series, both in terms of how they gel together as people and their producer duo. On the other hand their friendship is really cool too, and the "canon" relationship being a friendship surrounded by girls who actually want the MC is kinda funny for a harem to me.

It's definitely a tough call between a canon friendship and actual relationship with those two. They play off one another so damn well and this episode with just the two of tgem is further proof of that...

As was mentioned earlier, if Eriri x Utah was a thing, I could get behind that ship, lol.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nina is a pacifist only on the micro level as she really works in the wrong field to be one!

Also pretty much every Zeon antagonist is a zealot which makes it boring. It's also not much of a lost cause when the Axis fleet is strong enough to humble everything remaining after the Gyrps conflict.

I love how 0083 looks but I've always kinda wished it never existed.

Nina is a pacifist only on the micro level as she really works in the wrong field to be one!

Also pretty much every Zeon antagonist is a zealot which makes it boring. It's also not much of a lost cause when the Axis fleet is strong enough to humble everything remaining after the Gyrps conflict.

I love how 0083 looks but I've always kinda wished it never existed.

My point is more that as the series goes on she starts to feel that way.

As far as Axis I think they have different designs compared to Gato or Delaz. Also in the context of their events no one is really aware that axis will gain the ability to rise up.

I think zealotry by itself is boring, but as a mirror for Kou's confrontation I like it.

I am glad it exists.

The one on the left is straight up Cyclop's last costume.

Nagahama knows.

And this is the another main character, X-san. This might be a bit reminiscent of Cyclops, one he was wearing at some time. It is completely coincidental. Upon discovering the X symbol on Cyclops has a different meaning, I decided not to alter my design. Cyclops’ design has the eye glass look away from this dirty reality, a bit of diversion from the real world. He hides everything that comes into sight. X-san, he’s actually looking through that bit of x right there. Here are more designs of X-san. I’m going to keep secret his super powers.

KraytarJ

❤️ Tyrant 9
Talk about scene whiplash. Every other scene I seem to oscillate from "I hate this" to "maybe this isn't all bad". Shikimi is still the star of this show for sure, but Yuzu and Guri still add a lot to the mix too. But my main takeaways were that play needed to be longer and Seiji should just always be dressed as a tree.

For those of you who buy the DV Ds or Blu-Rays, Angel Beats! and Night Raid 1931 are likely the next two series likely to be "reacquired" by Aniplex USA once the license expires. Sentai's license for both series expires in August.

Quasar

If people are confused as to what happened to sales juggernaut Oregairu, volume 12 STILL hasn't released. Been 2+ years since volume 11 released. We're never going to get the end of the story at this rate.

I assumed because he was writing Girlish Number.

So, anyone got some recommendations for shows where characters and their character arcs are the main focus of the story? The only genre I'd rather avoid would be flat-out comedy.

Can I interest you for Kare Kano by our Master Anno?
RomCom + Drama, well done for once.

Lovely Complex in the same manner, though not nearly as good.
And maybe Aoi Hana for some very well done Yuri, though it's only a very small adaptation. Anyways, what's there is damn good.

Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit is more of a fantasy adventure but has really strong characterization, so that might be of interest.

Dennou Coil as a sort of sci-fi mystery adventure with fairly strong characterization should work, too.

phaze

Since we're on recs, I'm gonna need one too. I'm looking for the essential Rie Kugumiya tsundere experience, (beside Toradora cause I watched that already) if possible in an actually good show or as close as it can get to it really. Very preferably in a finished and tied up show under 26 eps.

DiGiKerot

Since we're on recs, I'm gonna need one too. I'm looking for the essential Rie Kugumiya tsundere experience, (beside Toradora cause I watched that already) if possible in an actually good show or as close as it can get to it really. Very preferably in a finished and tied up show under 26 eps.

I mean, it's hard to pick out an essential one, really - the typecasting came about mostly because MariMite, iDOLM@STER (the original arcade game), Shana, Zero no Tsukaima and Hayate the Combat Butler all came along in around about that order in what feels like closer proximity than it actually was. Most of those are either long, don't have her as the main lead, or I'd struggle to call "good". I mean, I like that original SynergySP series of Hayate, but it's also 50episodes long and a lot of it consists of weird meandering gag episodes. Toradora is generally leagues ahead in terms of straight Kugimiya-as-Tsundere content, as the rest of the stuff she tends to play that roll in is straight-up garbage tier action light novel adaptation fodder.

If you really need to watch any of them... the first season of Shana, I guess? It's probably the most iconic, anyway.

Zero no Tsukaima would be my pick as an essential Kugiloli experience.

I'm waiting for someone to ask for the essential yandere experience.
Mirai Nikki holds this title easily because actual yandere aren't all that common to be honest. There's a lot more girls who are yangire: adorable and bloody psychotic.

pbayne

Haibane Renmei 1-13

Pretty great. It wasn't as immediately interesting to me as Lain as its a lot more ambiguous and understated but it gradually drew me in me slowly around the mid-point when that characters and the world open up a bit more.

JulianImp

Can I interest you for Kare Kano by our Master Anno?
RomCom + Drama, well done for once.

Lovely Complex in the same manner, though not nearly as good.
And maybe Aoi Hana for some very well done Yuri, though it's only a very small adaptation. Anyways, what's there is damn good.

Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit is more of a fantasy adventure but has really strong characterization, so that might be of interest.

Dennou Coil as a sort of sci-fi mystery adventure with fairly strong characterization should work, too.

Duly noted. I kind of put Kare Kano and Aoi Hana in my backlog after a few episodes half a year or so ago, but I guess I might as well get back to them this season since there isn't much to see.

phaze

Essential Kugu experience is obviously Shana.

I mean, it's hard to pick out an essential one, really - the typecasting came about mostly because MariMite, iDOLM@STER (the original arcade game), Shana, Zero no Tsukaima and Hayate the Combat Butler all came along in around about that order in what feels like closer proximity than it actually was. Most of those are either long, don't have her as the main lead, or I'd struggle to call "good". I mean, I like that original SynergySP series of Hayate, but it's also 50episodes long and a lot of it consists of weird meandering gag episodes. Toradora is generally leagues ahead in terms of straight Kugimiya-as-Tsundere content, as the rest of the stuff she tends to play that roll in is straight-up garbage tier action light novel adaptation fodder.

If you really need to watch any of them... the first season of Shana, I guess? It's probably the most iconic, anyway.
Zero no Tsukaima would be my pick as an essential Kugiloli experience.

Thanks, will prolly go with Shana, on a cursory look I like the chara designs and setting bit more there too.

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei has Chiri. I also just saw that Marina Inoue voices her, so that's a plus.
Wow, Chiri is just a pure maiden in love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom