• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too tired to write a review on it now, but here are more hot takes.

- Napping Princess is a better Letter to Momo with less Ghibli homages and ripoffs, and a more creative scifi angle.

- Napping Princess has a pretty kickasss Yoko Shimomura soundtrack.

- It's definitely better than Re:Cyborg 009. I promise!

But is the Shimomura soundtrack better than Kawai's Re:Cyborg 009 soundtrack?

kewlmyc

AoT S2 - 35

God damn there were a lot of revelations and yet as many new answers this episode. If I had forgotten most of the manga chapters from last episode I remembered downright nothing from this one.

Direction was a notch above last episode and man, I can only hope Studio Wit brings their absolute a game for these last 2 remaining epsiodes.

Slight manga spoilers:
A lot of the stuff from the flashbacks this episode are from the more recent manga chapters, so that's probably why you don't remember.

phaze

Slight manga spoilers:
A lot of the stuff from the flashbacks this episode are from the more recent manga chapters, so that's probably why you don't remember.

Oh good.

I was just thinking they basically (slight spoilers I guess)
revealed one of the most major things about the whole setting and that I didn't recall having this level of info at this stage of reading manga.

duckroll

But is the Shimomura soundtrack better than Kawai's Re:Cyborg 009 soundtrack?

You know, it's a good question and one I can't really answer definitively. I'll just say that it's interesting how even when he fails to make a cohesive film (Re:Cyborg), Kamiyama never faults to be able to -direct- the hell out of a film to make it feel like it wants to say something worthwhile, and also have a kickass soundtrack.

Slight manga spoilers:

Aye, good to know. My memory is bad but...forgetting
Ymir's backstory
completely would've been awful even for me.

No, I was exactly aligned with you on this matter.
I'll assume your impression was a page or two before mine and go find it nakama*

*translators note: nakama means person who knows what's up

Edit: you were much more proper with your opinion while I was a nutcase but yes we are in agreement haha.

I don't know if it was the authors attempt to make me emphasize with her more by having her do cute shit throughout the show and showing her wacky family side this episode while she fawns over shindo. Seems manipulative that the love interest he is pushing turns out like this. Probably more cynical on my part.

dan2026

Berserk: recap episode

As it says, yesterday's Berserk was a recap episode, likely because the studio has fallen behind schedule and are trying to make sure that the next episode won't be as embarrassingly unfinished as last week's was.

Will they succeed? My guess is that it probably won't be as bad as last week's. Will it actually be good? I'll let you judge the preview to determine that:

b6anU8C.gif

It blows my fucking mind continually when shows are still be animated while the series has started airing on tv.
Its fucking crazy. Not only does it lead to unfinished rushjobs (like Berserk) but the strain on the animators involved must be absolutely awful.

Scheduling should never be this embarrassingly poor.

It blows my fucking mind continually when shows are still be animated while the series has started airing on tv.
Its fucking crazy. Not only does it lead to unfinished rushjobs (like Berserk) but the strain on the animators involved must be absolutely awful.

Scheduling should never be this embarrassingly poor.

Pretty much all TV anime are still being animated when they begin airing on TV (and often afterwards, with BD corrections). Even the best scheduled productions, such as KyoAni's, don't usually finish the entire show before episode 1 starts airing.

dan2026

Pretty much all TV anime are still being animated when they begin airing on TV (and often afterwards, with BD corrections). Even the best scheduled productions, such as KyoAni's, don't usually finish the entire show before episode 1 starts airing.

How is that not completely insane though?
Even more so for Berserk where they had to delay it a week because they hadn't finished the next episode!!

That's nuts!

Tuck

Attack on Titan - 35

Soooo much better than the previous two episodes. Everything involving Ymir was great.

Sad that theres just a few episodes left.

I'll wait for your impressions but I hope the thematic purpose doesn't have to do with how his contributions are making humanity a bit more alien and ultimately we're afraid of change. If the show has been pushing the theme you speak of though and I didn't catch it, all to them.

I'll assume your impression was a page or two before mine and go find it nakama*

*translators note: nakama means person who knows what's up

Edit: you were much more proper with your opinion while I was a nutcase but yes we are in agreement haha.

I don't know if it was the authors attempt to make me emphasize with her more by having her do cute shit throughout the show and showing her wacky family side this episode while she fawns over shindo. Seems manipulative that the love interest he is pushing turns out like this. Probably more cynical on my part.

The scriptwriter of Kado, Mado Nozaki, is female, just FYI.

Even more so for Berserk where they had to delay it a week because they hadn't finished the next episode!!

That's nuts!

That's been the way TV anime has been made for basically its entire lifespan. You are correct that it can cause a lot of issues for animators and others working on the shows, especially in such a high-output environment as the current industry, but that is how the industry traditionally operates. Production committees have to reserve TV slots ahead of time, and they generally don't want to give animation studios unlimited time to make shows.

duckroll

That's nuts!

Nothing insane or nuts about it other than the fact that this in an industry that operates on tripling down on content with shoestring budgets and minimal production timelines just in search of the "megahit" that makes a bit of money and can pay for all the failures.

How about this: The majority of anime that airs doesn't even make money for networks via advertising, they are allowed the dignity to broadcast in the first place on shit time slots because the sponsors for the anime but all the advertising slots on those blocks.

The scriptwriter of Kado, Mado Nozaki, is female, just FYI.

Errr, are you sure? I think it's a guy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll wait for your impressions but I hope the thematic purpose doesn't have to do with how his contributions are making humanity a bit more alien and ultimately we're afraid of change. If the show has been pushing the theme you speak of though and I didn't catch it, all to them.

I think the POV that resonated with me the most was the exchange that the head of Not Google was having about the speed of human progress and how that is such an inexact science because that is how it is in real life.

Correct me if I'm mistaken; I just looked up the name Mado in a Japanese dictionary and all the results came back that it is a female given name. I'm not familiar enough with the language, so I have to rely on dictionaries at times to get an idea of what gender a name is.

Didn't someone come in here and tell us how the author was someone who used to be a veterinarian or something and went to write science fiction? I recall seeing the author referred to as male but if it's a she instead of a he, my mistake.

Re:Creators 09

I was actually fine with the massive amount of dialogue this episode. Not sure if I'm just getting used to it, or if its actually getting better.

Alice is really stupid though. And the lack of Rui in the recent episodes is disappointing.

Jarmel

Banned
Kado-08
Some of the reactions here made this episode seem more stupid than it actually is. The episode raises up a number of questions that I thought were fairly interesting and worth discussing.
The reason Tsukai brought Shindo to her home was to show him the process of making that engraved metal. Her general argument this episode was that there is beauty in the process of making something. That engraved metal could be done in any factory in the world nowadays in likely a quarter of the speed. However knowing the effort someone put into making it, potentially enhances a person's feelings toward that object. So for her, having Yaha just give humanity all of these things undercuts that process. We're piggybacking off another species, if you will, and not actually doing it for ourselves. Would going to the moon for example matter if a species gave us a spaceship? Yes we would be advancing but we also wouldn't have that sense of achievement. The end result is the same but the journey is gone. Yes having unlimited energy would impact nearly everybody on the planet in a positive way and for that reason they should accept the technology but it's also worth discussing whether we as a species would be losing our pride and drive in not solving our own problems.
Additionally, there's some worry about someone intentionally guiding our evolution. That's a serious concern especially when you don't know the full intentions of the other party. In Childhood's End, that came back to bite humanity in their collective asses. The definition of advancement can mean two very different things to two different species. Nature as an entity doesn't have a motive, per say, other than survival and reproduction.
Finally the point about speed is fairly important. A slower pace allows people to adjust and having Yaha just dump everything on everybody at once can screw up humanity's natural advancement and subsequently cause numerous problems. If an alien gave humanity nukes in the middle ages, we would all be dead. This is brought up in the show but the point about whether humanity is ready for some of these 'gifts' is a very valid question.

All of these are very valid concerns in a scenario like this. I don't think these are just the ramblings of a Luddite. Also next episode makes it look like some bad or serious shit is going down:
Storyboarder putting in work.

Man that episode contained almost too much information for how methodically it rolled out most of it until now. And if it adapted a rather recent manga chapter that's not too surprising I guess. Of course, Isayama and Studio Wit must've agreed for it to be the better fit here but, still, there's so, so damn much to infer from all this.

- The (former?) government punished heretics or so via Titan-serum injection and throwing them off the wall
- The Titans or people in titan form can survive for 60+ years and revert to the younger human form afterwards.
- They might revert by eating people. Or at least certain Titans can?
- Memorization from time spent in Titan form is inconsistent if nothing else.
- The faction Reiner, Berthold, Annie and that Marcel guy belong to may fight against the 'walled country' due to the 'rotten government'? Maybe a rebellion of sorts.

And well, back then I've read up to the end of basically this current arc, maybe 2-3 chapter further, so the following is a spoiler for the next 2 episodes:
Berthold and Reiner were specifically so keen on Eren because they were suspicious he might be the "Coordinate". Part of what exactly that entails we'll see in the next two episodes but yeh, IIRC the manga has Berthold and Reiner mention this only once Eren does something and it might've been a complete surprise for them. Now it's clear they saw that possibility early on already.

dickroach

Did nobody else watch the latest kado? I'd be curious to read more reactions.

I liked most of the episode focusing on Saraka, even if it was a pretty brief and shallow look into her character. her father breaking down and pleading "please take care of her" was funny.
but other than that, it's still just chugging along to the eventual revelation of wtf is the anisotropic and what is Yaha-kui show up for.
There was a line near the end, during the Sansa broadcast, where he says something like "I hope this will bring hapiness to the anisotropic, and humanity." so he's obviously got some agenda of his own, and the very end of the episode was very foreboding.

All of these are very valid concerns in a scenario like this. I don't think these are just the ramblings of a Luddite. Also next episode makes it look like some bad or serious shit is going down:

whoa. I never watch the next-week-preview at the end. that looks awesome.

JulianImp

Moribito - #6-7
I continue to dig the complex web of character interactions. Now that Balsa and the prince are considered to be dead by the government and they've begun living the quiet life, it just had to happen that one of the seers foresaw that the drought the water spirit would bring hadn't been averted yet, so I guess it's going to be a matter of time before they're back on the run.

Kado-08

Some of the reactions here made this episode seem more stupid than it actually is. The episode raises up a number of questions that I thought were fairly interesting and worth discussing.

The reason Tsukai brought Shindo to her home was to show him the process of making that engraved metal. Her general argument this episode was that there is beauty in the process of making something. That engraved metal could be done in any factory in the world nowadays in likely a quarter of the speed. However knowing the effort someone put into making it, potentially enhances a person's feelings toward that object. So for her, having Yaha just give humanity all of these things undercuts that process. We're piggybacking off another species, if you will, and not actually doing it for ourselves. Would going to the moon for example matter if a species gave us a spaceship? Yes we would be advancing but we also wouldn't have that sense of achievement. The end result is the same but the journey is gone. Yes having unlimited energy would impact nearly everybody on the planet in a positive way and for that reason they should accept the technology but it's also worth discussing whether we as a species would be losing our pride and drive in not solving our own problems.

Additionally, there's some worry about someone intentionally guiding our evolution. That's a serious concern especially when you don't know the full intentions of the other party. In Childhood's End, that came back to bite humanity in their collective asses. The definition of advancement can mean two very different things to two different species. Nature as an entity doesn't have a motive, per say, other than survival and reproduction.

Finally the point about speed is fairly important. A slower pace allows people to adjust and having Yaha just dump everything on everybody at once can screw up humanity's natural advancement and subsequently cause numerous problems. If an alien gave humanity nukes in the middle ages, we would all be dead. This is brought up in the show but the point about whether humanity is ready for some of these 'gifts' is a very valid question.

From what I've seen of depictions of Japan as a whole, they more than other countries that are depicted in media have a love for the methodical and artistic than others.

Yes, we can go and see a glass blower in a small town spend 3 days perfecting a glass of water with love and care that a factory wouldn't do. And his glass would likely have more to its history and folks would have a warmer disposition to it and the glass blower. But at the same time, it isn't particularly productive of effective. Anime loves to show me say calligraphy. An art form likely reserved to Japan alone. They seem to love enjoying the master at his craft regardless of whether his skill and price translate to the quality of the product. Heck there's that whole Jiro Dreams of Sushi documentary. These are not meant for me. All the documentary told me is that people are placing value on Jiros sushi that is overblown when apparently his sons/pupils are essentially just as good and cheaper.

The argument that humanity should naturally evolve is a valid one. But fuck that, it isn't one I agree with. And because one show has given us the consequences of something biting us in the ass it doesn't mean it can't work in our favor. I am very much pro development. If an alien gives you the tools and is willing to share his methodology to give you the stars and advance your civilization then all to it. Evolution and growth are a slow fucking process. One being held back by humanity itself. And in an aspect this show is doing a poor job at showing. Politics.

Politics hold back science. Propaganda scares idiots into believing global warming is fake news. Lobbyists are in place to hold back technological advancements that can harm an industry. And if not lobbyists, then patent whoring where they hide patents.

In a world where aliens exist and the option exists to advance, you can bet your ass humanity is being held back by none other than humanity itself. In here we have the wham introduced and folks are asking "oh lord how will it effect the energy industry, we can't let this be spread!". If it wasn't that it was easily, and comically, reproducible the gift wouldn't have been shared.

Nature and a natural progress to evolution would be something we'd never see in our lifetime. And other technological advancements are something we slowly struggle against because idiots in power have a say so and can impede it. Hubris and pride rarely do anything worthwhile in my perspective.

Give me an alien with a chance to circumvent them and Ill take it. I'll go to home with ET.

But forget my arguing anyways because as you said, the show has been hinting there is a dark side to our alien savior.

Attack on Titan Latest

Damn they gave you all a lot of stuff to sink your teeth into this episode.

I don't really remember that Ymir flashback having so much detail in the manga though. It looks like they threw in some more stuff in there from relatively recent manga chapters.

Kado-08

I agree, I said something much shorter earlier but this is a better in depth of what the show was trying to convey.

Nothing insane or nuts about it other than the fact that this in an industry that operates on tripling down on content with shoestring budgets and minimal production timelines just in search of the "megahit" that makes a bit of money and can pay for all the failures.

How about this: The majority of anime that airs doesn't even make money for networks via advertising, they are allowed the dignity to broadcast in the first place on shit time slots because the sponsors for the anime but all the advertising slots on those blocks.

Every company should just do the net anime model, works for xflag

dan2026

It's almost like anime was a huge mistake.

duckroll

Correct me if I'm mistaken; I just looked up the name Mado in a Japanese dictionary and all the results came back that it is a female given name. I'm not familiar enough with the language, so I have to rely on dictionaries at times to get an idea of what gender a name is.

Japanese names are dodgy things. Nothing is for certain, especially when the name is just written まど lol. Investigating Japanese articles on the author indicate that he is in fact male, and there's a photo of him receiving some award or something too.

Japanese names are dodgy things. Nothing is for certain, especially when the name is just written まど lol. Investigating Japanese articles on the author indicate that he is in fact male, and there's a photo of him receiving some award or something too.

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

Everything will be okay if we just make everyone in the industry work harder.

And maybe put armed guards in all the offices in case workers start to think they can go home to their loved ones.

will gaming really reach a breaking point? In all likelyhood, AAA niche titles and consoles with big budgets will disappear and mobile gaming with small to medium budgets will just rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom