• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dragon Ball Super 93

FRIEZAAAA BAAAAAACK!
download_1.png
download_2.png
download.png

And he's really shiny guys. Just look at that sheen.

Re:Creators - 09

Wait. Wait a second. Is it just me or... this episode wasn't so bad? Could it be that after 9 episodes we are being given anymore exposition? Could it really be?!

Loona

Should I be watching Re: Creators? Everyone keeps talking about it and I have dropped all the shows I was previously following.

I'm enjoying it - some episodes play to the strengths of its concepts better than others, but has good moment both of the quiet talkative and action varieties.

All of the summoned creations should have been villains.

Apparently more creations will be introduced later (mind the spoilers that precede that): https://translate.google.com/transl...iew/cast_interview_02.html&edit-text=&act=url

My Hero Academia 14 (S2 1)

I guess I didn't miss anything from the first season, seeing how much of this episode was taken up with flashbacks to it. Anyway, the direction is not particularly exciting, and there's an overuse of speed lines I don't particularly appreciate, but the character art seems better overall than what I saw of the first season. I'm not particularly excited by the concept of a school sports festival/tournament, but I've seen some of the good animation waiting ahead so I'm looking forward to that. Some of the character dynamics among the class I'm seeing could be interesting if expanded upon.

Aki-at

Virgin Soul - 9

Caught up, I don't know what they were planning to do with Azrael but he wasn't interesting in season 1 and here his crusade of saving the demons who blew up multiple human cities just doesn't get the same sort of emotional response from me as it should. None of these guys were shown to even have a fibre of being "good" but now they are? Other characters like Kaiser are nothing without a foil and Nina's shtick about getting turned on by every guy even if they were going to kill her until the last couple of episodes got boring fast.

But then they showed Favaro and the show improved. Nice little flashback and a bit of the mood from season 1 injected into the series, much needed.

Re:Creators - 6

Hellsing/Jojo girl is a cool character, I look forward to seeing more of her.

Hamst3r

Heartcatch Precure! - Complete - Well that was real good! I enjoyed it far more than Futari wa Precure, that one just didn't appeal to me at all. Heartcatch is on another level. Which means I've gotta watch the Heartcatch movie next, and then Princess Precure, which I've also heard good things about.

JulianImp

Seirei no Moribito - #8
This show continues to amaze me. The whole excange between the swordsmen and the blacksmith was great, and helped made the swordsmen and the blacksmith into truly multi-faceted characters rather than the generic, one-dimensioned ones I'm used to seeing in anime.

Cornbread78

It's pretty sad, since this is like a version of OreImo where the author didn't even want to let us entertain the thought of having the MC match-up with anybody that isn't his little sister.

Like, why even have alternate love interests if the guy has long ago made up his mind about Sagiri being the love of his life, and his little sister even reciprocates his feelings for her? I mean, at least Kyousuke (dakke?) was initally really into Kuroneko, at least until she voluntarily let go off of him so that he could discover his feelings for freaking Kirino, that is (oh dear, just remembering that arc's conclussion makes me feel frazzled).

True. Initially she was highly annoying, but now she is great, but complete fodder... It's unfortunate for sure...

This just makes me happy I only made it through half of season 1 before dropping Oriemo, lol.

Yoi have to give this show credit for sticking to it's brocon/siscon premise though, lol.

MHA S2 ep.10

Pure oblivion; the scene was awesome even though pacing felt like callback to S1, lol. I'll accept it because of my first sentence though..

DNAbro

My Hero Academia S2 Ep 10

My fucking god that was amazing. One of the best fights in the series and so god damn beautifully animated. Everything about that episode was perfect with zero dull moments and that emotional climax at the end.

If I had a choice of a single "Best Episode of the Year" this already may be it cause god fucking damn.

JulianImp

Yoi have to give this show credit for sticking to it's brocon/siscon premise though, lol.

Nah, since then I'd also probably have to give credit to Tsugumomo for sticking to its "every girl has to appear naked and engaging in borderline hentai-level acts at least once, regardless of age" premise, which is just not going to happen.

I still find it really dumb how often anime and manga make the boy and girl into step-brother and sister to have it be "okay" for them to become a couple, even though an even bigger issue with those kinds of relationships is half of the "wrongness" comes from the fact that the two grew up together more often than not. Then there's that other set-up where they're cousins, which does sidestep that matter but brings the "they're still family, ffs" issue back into the picture.

My Hero Academia 15

IrnlT0M.jpg

Very good art to end the episode on.

I don't understand why the school throws in all the general studies, support, and business students in with the hero students in the sports festival. They're in the other courses because they didn't have the physical strength to be in the hero course, presumably, so forcing them to compete in a test of physical strength seems unnecessarily cruel.

Narag

My Hero Academia 15

I don't understand why the school throws in all the general studies, support, and business students in with the hero students in the sports festival. They're in the other courses because they didn't have the physical strength to be in the hero course, presumably, so forcing them to compete in a test of physical strength seems unnecessarily cruel.

They touch upon that. There's only so much room in the hero course but people can move up from general studies etc. Support gets a chance to show of their own ability since the whole sports festival is an over-glorified talent competition complete with scouts present. Business remains leeches. General attitude by the other three segments was that they were there to make the hero course look better though.

sonicmj1

I thought people fled town after the magical attack downtime in broad daylight.

Seems like so far, the government is pretending the problem doesn't exist, and business, as far as we know, has been continuing as usual.

The day before the most recent episode, Sota met Mamika on a crowded train. On the same day as this episode, he talked with both Meteora and Magane in a fairly busy Akihabara. We first see Magane in this episode waiting by a busy intersection, after purchasing a corn dog from somewhere. Plenty of people are around acting like things are normal.

Nobody else seems to have noticed
the blood raining from Mamika's wounds, or her falling from the sky, or Alicesteria landing like a thunderbolt from heaven,
much as it seems like nobody noticed when
a giant robot flew into the city to break up a fight, or the use of Magical Splash Flare
, which wasn't exactly subtle. It's kinda bizarre. The only exceptions to this were in the first two episodes, and even there public response seemed to be unusually subdued.

kewlmyc

It's pretty sad, since this is like a version of OreImo where the author didn't even want to let us entertain the thought of having the MC match-up with anybody that isn't his little sister.

Like, why even have alternate love interests if the guy has long ago made up his mind about Sagiri being the love of his life, and his little sister even reciprocates his feelings for her? I mean, at least Kyousuke (dakke?) was initally really into Kuroneko, at least until she voluntarily let go off of him so that he could discover his feelings for freaking Kirino, that is (oh dear, just remembering that arc's conclussion makes me feel frazzled).

I can't think of a harem series where the main poster girl didn't end up winning in the end. Of course he's going to end of with the poster girl, regardless of relation. The series is named after her ffs. The other girls are just there to sell merch and to delay the inevitable.

Narag

My Hero Academia S2 2-10

• S2 is probably as improved as Konosuba S2 and Attack on Titan S2 were over their previous seasons.
  • Character art and animation is far more consistent with less glaring need for correction as in S1.
  • Pacing issues are fixed.
  • Uniforms are nice as the character art gets to stand out rather than be obscured by the mostly awful costumes.
  • Episode 6 had the most effective use of flashback in the series when illustrating Deku's reliance on others.
  • Cast is finally introduced properly such that we appreciate them more as characters rather than as spear carriers.
  • Todoroki's arc has been a surprise what with his father representing the sort of commercialized heroism that's lost sight of the All Might ideal no longer aspired to by others.
  • Deku's growing more into the promised role of being that one that brings the best out of others.
  • His character expressions are really reminiscent of Bakugo's in S1 which works because...
  • Bakugo finally has proper characterization. Gone is the sociopathic asshole that plagued S1. It's been replaced by someone not quite as emotive and who exudes a competitiveness so intense it inspires others in its own way.

With Yutapon Cubes being a thing, is there another animator/director who has a particular thing he likes doing he's known for? I mean specifically for animation, art style is a given. Now I'm curious if I'm watching a show and not realizing there are multiple type of 'Wilhelm Screams' type of callouts I'm missing and could be catching in the future.

They touch upon that. There's only so much room in the hero course but people can move up from general studies etc. Support gets a chance to show of their own ability since the whole sports festival is an over-glorified talent competition complete with scouts present. Business remains leeches. General attitude by the other three segments was that they were there to make the hero course look better though.

That and, without giving away too much stuff from the manga, it eventually becomes a plot point that society as a whole has been putting too much emphasis on individuals' prowess with their quirks. Heck, Endeavor is a walking indictment on everything wrong with the current system.

Yeah I also happen to find the liar girl super interesting to watch and she got plenty of screen time this week. She's like a character straight out of Monogatari.

She's definitely been the most interesting of all of the creations. I'm also genuinely curious how they plan to work around her abilities being so blatantly OP.

Narag

My Hero Academia 16

I feel like this adaptation has little special about it besides what the animators are putting in. For instance, to bring up another action-packed show with a Yuuki Hayashi soundtrack, Haikyuu had better overall direction with a stronger use of music to build important moments. The framing and editing in MHA tends towards the bland side, and the backgrounds are firmly planted there. This kind of feels like a normal show except for the strong action animation. Fortunately that animation seems to be enough to carry the show for now.

That does appear to be an accurate assessment. It's like how my mom always tried to console me after my childhood swim meets: someone has to come in last, and I guess the school wants to have totally unremarkable people in the back to be able to shed off first.

With Yutapon Cubes being a thing, is there another animator/director who has a particular thing he likes doing he's known for? I mean specifically for animation, art style is a given. Now I'm curious if I'm watching a show and not realizing there are multiple type of 'Wilhelm Screams' type of callouts I'm missing and could be catching in the future.

I am rather fond of the Ebata walk.

My Hero Academia 16

I feel like this adaptation has little special about it besides what the animators are putting in. For instance, to bring up another action-packed show with a Yuuki Hayashi soundtrack, Haikyuu had better overall direction with a stronger use of music to build important moments. The framing and editing in MHA tends towards the bland side, and the backgrounds are firmly planted there. This kind of feels like a normal show except for the strong action animation. Fortunately that animation seems to be enough to carry the show for now.

Did you finish the first season?

Narag

The zoom in focused fist punch is something I've definitely noticed, now I know who to attribute it to even if just a reference.

But when I asked, I never thought spectral dragons would be a thing lmao

This https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/5794

which you can read some about here https://washiblog.wordpress.com/2012/03/23/yoshinori-kanadas-fire-dragon-and-homages/

helped inspire this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superflat

that you can see elements of here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPZDBF0kei0

This I wouldn't immediately recognize. Not even sure what I'm looking what. Just looks like overly complex feminine hip swinging walk. Unless the give away is that the rest of the show never has the walking be the focus.

It's the momentum and weight with which Ebata infuses his characters' movements with. It's most obvious when walking, because of the timing that emphasizes the extremes of the walk cycle, but it's a kind of animation approach that appears in other kinds of movements as well, as seen in his solo episode for Yama no Susume S2.

Hamst3r

Itano Circus - As seen in everything.

And they don't have a Sakugabooru page for it, but the Obari Pose:

Seems so standard, I'm surprised it has a name. It's just a punch towards the "camera".

It's the whole set of movements. The wind-up, the close up, and the punch that makes it an Obari Punch.

Going by the definition of Superflat it makes it seem like ME!ME!ME! would fall under that. Plus I saw Anno mentioned, which helps haha. Interesting.

And thanks for the posts guy. Always willing to learn more. Now I can watch shows and look for these callbacks/sty;es, and then remind myself of the sakura pages until I recognize them and name them more readily.

Jarmel

Banned
My Hero Academia S2 2-10

Pacing issues are fixed.
I don't necessarily agree with this as I feel some of the side material could have been cut or abbreviated.
Todoroki's arc has been a surprise what with his father representing the sort of commercialized heroism that's lost sight of the All Might ideal no longer aspired to by others.
That's a general point of the series in how both Deku and All Might don't fit in this world as they represent an antiquated idealism that is dying out. It's similar to Tiger in Tiger&Bunny.
Bakugo finally has proper characterization. Gone is the sociopathic asshole that plagued S1. It's been replaced by someone not quite as emotive and who exudes a competitiveness so intense it inspires others in its own way.
Well he's still an asshole but yea Baku probably gets as much character development over the course of the series as Deku gets. Now that I think about it, he reminds me of Teen Titans Robin in regards to his attitude on winning.
Well then you obviously don't have much context going into the show, do you!

Not that you needed it for that particular question, but still.
I watched S1 and I agree with hosanna on this as this wouldn't be a notable production if not for the character animation being as polished as it is and some of the action cuts due to it being BONES. I feel like you could have thrown virtually any director alive onto this production and it would have turned out at least this good. Nagasaki has shown no voice whatsoever in the show.

Narag

That's a general point of the series in how both Deku and All Might don't fit in this world as they represent an antiquated idealism that is dying out. It's similar to Tiger in Tiger&Bunny..

Sounds like I should be watching Tiger & Bunny. Don't know why I haven't yet.

Well he's still an asshole but yea Baku probably gets as much character development over the course of the series as Deku gets. Now that I think about it, he reminds me of Teen Titans Robin in regards to his attitude on winning.

Once an asshole etc. It was just so overbearing in the first season that any notion of strength respecting strength was overshadowed by it.

I watched S1 and I agree with hosanna on this as this wouldn't be a notable production if not for the character animation being as polished as it is and some of the action cuts due to it being BONES. I feel like you could have thrown virtually any director alive onto this production and it would have turned out at least this good. Nagasaki has shown no voice whatsoever in the show.

That's not really what I meant, lol.

I was referring to plot-related stuff.

Aki-at

Tiger Mask W - 34

QxoBBTW.png

Final Wars?!? This is now a post about Godzilla.

Final Wars? I loved that movie! It had one of the most accurate portrayal of American life in cinema history. It even rectified one of mankind's great mistakes. Can't wait to see which kaijus GWM pull out for the sequel event. Hope NJPW can get Godzilla out of retirement after he suffered PTSD over his time in the pacific theatre, his drop kicks were as legendary as his celebrations.

I mean er uh Haruna definitely doesn't deserve to end up with a chump like Ryu that's only won one match the whole series. She can do a million times better.

Jarmel

Banned
Sounds like I should be watching Tiger & Bunny. Don't know why I haven't yet.

Once an asshole etc. It was just so overbearing in the first season that any notion of strength respecting strength was overshadowed by it.

Tiger&Bunny is generally good although I remember having some slight issues with it but I can't remember what they were. lol

Baku is obsessed with winning and that'll come to the forefront numerous times but I guess I'll just leave it there as that gets into spoilers territory.

That's not really what I meant, lol.

I was referring to plot-related stuff.

When hosanna is talking about framing and editing that's generally more on the visual side. Deku talking with Shouta is a good example of how a good director can elevate material just through storyboarding. I don't think you necessarily need context to appreciate how the characters are framed in that sequence.

Clov

My wedding reception just finished. We're both exhausted, but we had a blast!

Only our friends noticed the stealth weeb playlist we had on during dinner, which were jazz remixes of different anime themes. They really appreciated that.

My wedding reception just finished. We're both exhausted, but we had a blast!

Only our friends noticed the stealth weeb playlist we had on during dinner, which were jazz remixes of different anime themes. They really appreciated that.

forgot to say it last time but congrats man. Hope you enjoy married life.

For the honey moon you have to do a beach episode and bathhouse episode with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom