• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
When hosanna is talking about framing and editing that's generally more on the visual side. Deku talking with Shouta is a good example of how a good director can elevate material just through storyboarding. I don't think you necessarily need context to appreciate how the characters are framed in that sequence.

Again, I wasn't really referring to things animation-wise.

I only quoted Hosanna to ask if he finished the first season, and let him know that he's gonna miss out on some plot-related things and end up confused.

Dude's gonna end up not knowing
who Shigaraki is or what the Noumus are.

My wedding reception just finished. We're both exhausted, but we had a blast!

Congratulations!

Narag

I only quoted Hosanna to ask if he finished the first season, and let him know that he's gonna miss out on some plot-related things and end up confused.

He can just wiki shit.

Clov

forgot to say it last time but congrats man. Hope you enjoy married life.

For the honey moon you have to do a beach episode and bathhouse episode with her.

Thanks! :)

That's not far off from what we're doing, actually! We'll be going to a resort in just over a week. It's got a spa, and a huge outdoor pool! Really excited for it!

Thanks! :)

That's not far off from what we're doing, actually! We'll be going to a resort in just over a week. It's got a spa, and a huge outdoor pool! Really excited for it!

you're already beating every anime by getting married instead of ending the season with you holding hands as the sun sets.

He can just wiki shit.

I think he'd enjoy things much more if he at least read the early manga chapters instead.

I mean, if you just wiki stuff, that says a lot about how willing you are to get invested in something.

No matter how bad a first season is, I'll always trudge through that material before getting to the good stuff in season 2. By doing that, I end up enjoying the good stuff much more.

With Yutapon Cubes being a thing, is there another animator/director who has a particular thing he likes doing he's known for? I mean specifically for animation, art style is a given. Now I'm curious if I'm watching a show and not realizing there are multiple type of 'Wilhelm Screams' type of callouts I'm missing and could be catching in the future.

How bout the ye olde Osamu Dezaki postcard memories?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PastelChalkedFreezeFrame

Cornbread78

Nah, since then I'd also probably have to give credit to Tsugumomo for sticking to its "every girl has to appear naked and engaging in borderline hentai-level acts at least once, regardless of age" premise, which is just not going to happen.

I still find it really dumb how often anime and manga make the boy and girl into step-brother and sister to have it be "okay" for them to become a couple, even though an even bigger issue with those kinds of relationships is half of the "wrongness" comes from the fact that the two grew up together more often than not. Then there's that other set-up where they're cousins, which does sidestep that matter but brings the "they're still family, ffs" issue back into the picture.

Oh, I agree, but that is an "industry/otaku" problem...

If the demand is there yadda yadda..

Narag

I think he'd enjoy things much more if he at least read the early manga chapters instead.

I mean, if you just wiki stuff, that says a lot about how willing you are to get invested in something.

No matter how bad a first season is, I'll always trudge through that material before getting to the good stuff in season 2. By doing that, I end up enjoying the good stuff much more.

You're overvaluing plot for someone that is there for the visual elements.

Jintor

Only our friends noticed the stealth weeb playlist we had on during dinner, which were jazz remixes of different anime themes. They really appreciated that.

CONGRATULATIONS

You're overvaluing plot for someone that is there for the visual elements.

All the more reason he should go and read the early manga chapters that he missed!

I'm only really saying this because there was a post he made where he questioned something related to the plot, and since he didn't watch past episode 1 of the first season, he's probably going to be questioning a lot more if he plans to continue!

phaze

AoT S2 10

Wow, I didn't expect so many hints about the backstory, though they already went a bit all out with the ED. The show is gearing towards its season finale.

I'm ready for the Mikasa action.
027794z1s3u.jpg
Her faces are too good.

Only our friends noticed the stealth weeb playlist we had on during dinner, which were jazz remixes of different anime themes. They really appreciated that.

Congrats !

Granblue Fantasy 10
Moderately not awful things truly happen to those who wait.

For 10 episodes.

Still a zzzzzzzz ep.

Narag

All the more reason he should go and read the early manga chapters that he missed!

I'm only really saying this because there was a post he made where he questioned something related to the plot, and since he didn't watch past episode 1 of the first season, he's probably going to be questioning a lot more if he plans to continue!

I had the same questions he had and I did watch S1.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

it's a story for ten year old children that doubles back to explain everything repeatedly for general tv audiences....i think he'll be okay..........

The first episode of season 2 basically recapped all the important stuff from season 1, so I think I'm good.

blurr

With Yutapon Cubes being a thing, is there another animator/director who has a particular thing he likes doing he's known for? I mean specifically for animation, art style is a given. Now I'm curious if I'm watching a show and not realizing there are multiple type of 'Wilhelm Screams' type of callouts I'm missing and could be catching in the future.

I am rather fond of the Ebata walk.

I was first introduced to iconic animation styles through Ebata Walk, still remains my favourite.

Look up animator MADs on YouTube, they usually have great music too.

Szadek

Heartcatch Precure! - Complete - Well that was real good! I enjoyed it far more than Futari wa Precure, that one just didn't appeal to me at all. Heartcatch is on another level. Which means I've gotta watch the Heartcatch movie next, and then Princess Precure, which I've also heard good things about.
Awesome!
The HC movie is basically one long normal episode with a new villain.
You can't go wrong with princess, it's pretty damn good.

Anyway:
Fukumenkei Noise - Ep. 8
Great episode. Nino's relationship with Momo is finally making progress. He is still a dick,though.
Also, this happened.

zulux21

Yakitate Japan - 01

Eh, not a fan of the MCs "Solar Hands" being constantly the point of focus. There's a difference between bringing it up rarely as a metaphor for his talent and it genuinely being a thing that characters address all the time. And I mean, talent isn't exactly the most exciting thing to focus on anyways. At least his interest in baking is properly explained as it's more or less thanks to his sister and grandfather.

Still, I'll watch 1-2 more episodes and if people can't shut up about his Solar Hands then I'm out.

PS: I do appreciate the JaPan pun, though.

I think you are thinking to hard.

there is no metaphor there.
it's not some special nod about talent.
his solar hands merely means that he has naturally warm hands.
not talent. innate gift.

people will talk about them for a bit.
and then about other things.
you don't go into yakitate for a deep story.
you go for orgasmic bread reactions.

My Hero Academia 15

I don't understand why the school throws in all the general studies, support, and business students in with the hero students in the sports festival. They're in the other courses because they didn't have the physical strength to be in the hero course, presumably, so forcing them to compete in a test of physical strength seems unnecessarily cruel.

The entrance exam is flawed and the support and business students have their own ways to participate.

Sciel

Re:creators EP 9

You know, if its one thing i really dislike, its plot convenience.
This episode has it by the truckload. From Mamika conveniently flying past Magane, To Magane noticing her because her blood falls on her food, to Magane choosing to follow her and then reaching her in time to hear her final words, to Alice appearing out of the blue, To Mamika not being able to tell Alice her final words, to Alice being stupid enough to believe Magane (a character whom at her core is based on LYING)

Troyca really hasn't impressed me with any of their offerings, between this, Aldnoah and Sakurako. Everything just seems average/bad/awful.

ps: Souta is still being a shitty MC. Yes character growth i know /s.

Gundam Thunderbolt S2 EP3
It was all-right, probably a worse episode than the previous 2.
The space monks faction (or w/e) still cracks me up. Not a fan of any of the Zeon side mobile suits this season since the Acguy/Gogg/Z'Gok are some of my least favourite designs.

Little Witch Academia - EP21
Good episode, Croix motives still remain a mystery. Probably both sides are trying to achieve the same thing just with different methods.

I know its coming in the next episode, but I'll just say that they really missed the opportunity to have the big reveal this episode when Ursula was protecting Akko. Would have made for a more epic and impact-ful scene rather than just outright telling/showing her (which i'm assuming is going to happen in the next episode). Please prove me wrong!

Just T

Attack on Titan: 30

Don't really care about either of the characters focused on in this episode so a lot of that fell flat but neat action.

kewlmyc

Congratulations!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
They touch upon that. There's only so much room in the hero course but people can move up from general studies etc. Support gets a chance to show of their own ability since the whole sports festival is an over-glorified talent competition complete with scouts present. Business remains leeches. General attitude by the other three segments was that they were there to make the hero course look better though.
That, and as Mr Bandages likes to point out with the entrance exam, the school isn't exactly the best at playing things fairly.

And they don't have a Sakugabooru page for it, but the Obari Pose

Lacks screens from H shows.

Just T

Attack on Titan: 31

Yo that reveal was so quick and nonchalant that I actually had to rewind to make sure I ain't imagine that shit. Also lol at that Mikasa stare.

blurr

Congrats!

Dimension W OVA

This OVA sure was an OVA.

Is there any reason to watch this beyond the OP featuring the girl instead?

Prisoners

It definitely had the signature atmosphere of his films along with some really good cinematography but it kind of drags towards the end.

I'm not very keen on such stories these days but it managed to capture my attention for most of the part.

Lion

Why did this have to be such a linear story. The post time skip events feel really jarring but they get the point across so I'll give it that.

Worth a watch, thought provoking take on adoption with many touching moments.

Dali

The final showdown is pretty good and that is 476-477. The last chapter hasn't even been adapted lol.
Edit: I guess these are after the conclusion of the war though.

The Obito vs Kakashi fight is probably worth checking out too but I'm not sure what episode that is.

Getting grasp of the war would be difficult without watching basically all of it I think. You could I guess skip it in its entirety and watch just the last fight.

322 , 343-345 , 375 , 418 or 420 (Guy going ham) are some of the better eps in war arc. + of course the very last clash.

Thanks. Will check these out.

-Minsc-

From what I've seen of depictions of Japan as a whole, they more than other countries that are depicted in media have a love for the methodical and artistic than others.

Yes, we can go and see a glass blower in a small town spend 3 days perfecting a glass of water with love and care that a factory wouldn't do. And his glass would likely have more to its history and folks would have a warmer disposition to it and the glass blower. But at the same time, it isn't particularly productive of effective. Anime loves to show me say calligraphy. An art form likely reserved to Japan alone. They seem to love enjoying the master at his craft regardless of whether his skill and price translate to the quality of the product. Heck there's that whole Jiro Dreams of Sushi documentary. These are not meant for me. All the documentary told me is that people are placing value on Jiros sushi that is overblown when apparently his sons/pupils are essentially just as good and cheaper.

The argument that humanity should naturally evolve is a valid one. But fuck that, it isn't one I agree with. And because one show has given us the consequences of something biting us in the ass it doesn't mean it can't work in our favor. I am very much pro development. If an alien gives you the tools and is willing to share his methodology to give you the stars and advance your civilization then all to it. Evolution and growth are a slow fucking process. One being held back by humanity itself. And in an aspect this show is doing a poor job at showing. Politics.

Politics hold back science. Propaganda scares idiots into believing global warming is fake news. Lobbyists are in place to hold back technological advancements that can harm an industry. And if not lobbyists, then patent whoring where they hide patents.

In a world where aliens exist and the option exists to advance, you can bet your ass humanity is being held back by none other than humanity itself. In here we have the wham introduced and folks are asking "oh lord how will it effect the energy industry, we can't let this be spread!". If it wasn't that it was easily, and comically, reproducible the gift wouldn't have been shared.

Nature and a natural progress to evolution would be something we'd never see in our lifetime. And other technological advancements are something we slowly struggle against because idiots in power have a say so and can impede it. Hubris and pride rarely do anything worthwhile in my perspective.

Give me an alien with a chance to circumvent them and Ill take it. I'll go to home with ET.

But forget my arguing anyways because as you said, the show has been hinting there is a dark side to our alien savior.
In my mind, I don't need to see what we evolve (or degrade, depending how you look at it) into. That's for generations in the future to experience. There's already an overwhelming amount to experience right now. I certainly don't mind people running off with ET. All I'd ask is for them is to not force those who don't want to go that drastic path to go along with them. There has been enough of that getting to where we are today.

Just T

Attack on Titan: 32

Whew, that fight was something else. Think Eren did pretty well with the grapples and Mikasa with the assist. Hange's little moment was funny too.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

congrats! I'm totally going to use anime song playlist if i ever have a wedding :p

Re:Creator 9

They really should've use Magane as exposition dump, because she is way too entertaining. I gotta give it to Rei Hiroe, dude is the best when creating crazy villain.
So, altair is a fanfiction that come from a original series? So, she is the 50 shades of gray of this show :lol

Qurupeke

Birdy the Mighty: Decode S1 [END]

After the first three episodes, unfortunately, the show lost a lot of its charm as it slowly built up for the finale. Maybe not so surprisingly, even the animation budget seemed lacking most of the time, though there were a couple of good fight scenes here and there. On the other hand though, the finale was really good, except one not-so-small detail, and the final few episodes saved the show. The penultimate one was just stunning and the direction succeeded in conveying the dreadfulness of death. I think this is what I mostly missed in its middle, as the episodes on Birdy's planet were simply awful and a parody of the show, while the rest tried to establish characters and plot elements in a very boring way. Birdy's and Tsutomu's relationship along with the themes of death took a backseat, only to return during the climax.

In the midst of mediocrity though, the slow development of Sayaka's relationship with Tsutomu and her worsening mental condition were very interesting. It really made you care about them and it managed to justify Birdy's lack of composure later. The music, the general feeling of depression and all of those deaths gave everything a lot of impact and the final confrontation with Ryunka/Sayaka was executed perfectly, as I couldn't imagine a better (and cuter) way to destroy an all-powerful ancient weapon... Except there is that terrible cop out, as a show that wasn't shy about death, really, really didn't want to kill its main character and had to reuse the deus ex machina of the advanced technology that resurrects the dead... Like, the sacrifice was drained out of its impact... Sayaka losing her memories and leaving was the cherry of this terrible mess too... I feel that the show could have a very strong and emotional ending if there were actual stakes...

I also liked the lack of an explicit enemy. If I had to appoint a main antagonist, it would be Shyamalan, but the show made it pretty clear that he was a pawn to everyone else. The first season set up a lot of stuff about internal conflicts and alien interests, which I hope that they'll be the focus of S2, and there are still factions and characters with undefined purposes and goals. On Shyamalan, I'd argue he was more interesting than your average villain that fails to control a source of power, and I liked his narcissism and boldness, but he had a disappointing ending.

Anyway, overall, I'd say I enjoyed it. I'll fondly remember S1 for its spectacular action animation and the yandere/ojou-sama Sakamoto Maaya.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not particularly enthused about the Eupho announcements at this point and would rather they do something new instead but whatever. They're doubling down on the worst arc last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom