• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

I understand that, and it may even be brilliant, but you can't justify having to watch something that isn't all that great for 22 minutes 21 times, until an episode 22 surfaces that makes the show amazing all of a sudden. Believe me, I love Trigger and all, but you can't do this in this day an age with so much else to watch or do. It's like MHA, when folks say "season 1 is slow and annoying, but season 2 is great!". I really don't want to go through 11-13 episodes just to get to the good part. Skipping over the content would also mean not getting the backstory (in my case I am familiar with the manga, but you get what I mean?). There is a certainly​ a beauty to having a crescendo of excitement until reaching a climax, but that doesn't justify having to watch so much mediocre content. Remember Phantom World? I thought the last few episodes were great! But I'd never be able to recommend the show due to how every episode before those 2 were between bad to mediocre.

Naaaah what's this all of a sudden. Maybe one or two people legitimately loved this show every week, but everyone else didn't seem to think the same. As an outsider I read all of the impressions each and every week, with folks constantly complaining about the show. I wanted to jump in, but I always stopped on my tracks.
LWA is inconsitent, but it was still worth watching before episode 22, but the latest episode makes recommanding this anime very easy.
Also MHA was always great, just a bit slow, which isn't the worst thing ever.

This is no "FF13 gets good after 20 hours" situation (which it doesn't btw, but nvfm).

zulux21

Black Lagoons dub is pretty good

I think it was the first dub I heard for an anime that constantly used vulgar language.

I also think it is still the only anime series I have seen with a boat vs helicopter battle where
the boat manages to do an air strike on the helicopter :p

I think my first anime technically would have been Little Nemo

trailer

as I think I watched that around 1992 or so thus a few years before pokemon/yugioh/sailormoon ect.

Tonton

My first anime was probably something like Dragon Ball on tv when I was younger

Other than that I think my first one that got me into anime was Madoka

blurr

I understand that, and it may even be brilliant, but you can't justify having to watch something that isn't all that great for 22 minutes 21 times, until an episode 22 surfaces that makes the show amazing all of a sudden. Believe me, I love Trigger and all, but you can't do this in this day an age with so much else to watch or do. It's like MHA, when folks say "season 1 is slow and annoying, but season 2 is great!" I really don't want to go through 11-13 episodes just to get to the good part. Skipping over the content would also mean not getting the backstory (in my case I am familiar with the manga, but you get what I mean?). There is a certainly​ a beauty to having a crescendo of excitement until reaching a climax, but that doesn't justify having to watch so much mediocre content. Remember Phantom World? I thought the last few episodes were great! But I'd never be able to recommend the show due to how every episode before those 2 were between bad to mediocre.

MHA is worth watching despite that pace which I personally haven't been bothered with as much. I'm not gonna say wait until x episode for the good part either, it starts off well with almost every episode having something interesting going on. I'd just say that to fully understand what the show is going for thematically you should watch the first two episodes together.

Clov

The first anime I ever watched was Dragonball Z, I'm pretty sure. What got me into watching anime as a hobby though was Lucky Star, oddly enough.

/XX/

I suppose many Europeans on their 30s will have to say Heidi, Girl of the Alps (as did myself) was their first contact with Japanese animation, even if at the time they weren't conscious of were it was produced, and it didn't signify the acceptance into any subculture movement. :-D

I think my first must have been Dogtanian and the Three Muskehounds. That shit aired on the neighboring country's TV channel and it was sooo good. I had a VHS tape of the first 5 episodes that I'd watch on repeat as a little kid because I loved the show so much
'¿Eres portugués? Porque estoy casi seguro que te estás refiriendo a TVE aquí.'

9ae51cda62bfb92815604ee95f1a60a8.png

Not sure if Heidi or Attack on Titan.

blurr

I watched Heidi in the early 2000s here and there was supposedly an airing in the late 90s as well (a friend claims the early 2000s was a re-airing).

LWA is inconsitent, but it was still worth watching before episode 22, but the latest episode makes recommanding this anime very easy.
Also MHA was always great, just a bit slow, which isn't the worst thing ever.

This is no "FF13 gets good after 20 hours" situation (which it doesn't btw, but nvfm).
I have yet to watch the movie, everyone tells me to stick to that and only go to the show if I really want to see more.

MHA is worth watching despite that pace which I personally haven't been bothered with as much. I'm not gonna say wait until x episode for the good part either, it starts off well with almost every episode having something interesting going on. I'd just say that to fully understand what the show is going for thematically you should watch the first two episodes together.
My main issue with season one is how long they dragged out Deku's training. I don't remember it being that long in the manga, but apparently this seems to pretty take a huge chunk of season 1. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I suppose many Europeans on their 30s will have to say Heidi, Girl of the Alps (as did myself) was their first contact with Japanese animation, even if at the time they weren't conscious of were it was produced, and it didn't signify the acceptance into any subculture movement. :-D

'¿Eres portugués? Porque estoy casi seguro que te estás refiriendo a TVE aquí.'
Funnily enough, my mom watched Heidi as a child. I watched a few episodes here and there whenever it aired.

As for your second question, yes ahaha. I lived in a small town right across the border from Spain, next to Tui. That meant we had all access to basically all of your channels. I loved TVG, it was where I watched all of my anime as a kid. Shows like Eva, Detective Conan, Doraemon, and more all aired on there in the afternoon after school hours. Ahhhh sweet memories. I live in Canada now though, been here for 9 years. Do they still air anime on that channel at that time??

MSMrRound

Symphogear AXZ site updated with new key visual

Info about new voice actors and stuff via zoid9000

AXZ takes place only a few weeks after the incidents in the previous season.

http://symphogear.blogspot.sg/2017/06/first-axz-info-leaked-from-anime.html

Seems like there will be a special "3.5" OVA episode which takes place between events of Symphogear GX and AXZ.

First anime? Hmmm....if I'm not counting those episodes of Digimon that I watched during my childhood, probably 12 Kingdoms or Kiddy Grade since it was what my local free-to-air TV channel was showing that time.

Their then-anime timeslot belt also introduced me to Last Exile which I have a pretty fond memory of.

/XX/

I rreally miss all the anime adaptations of Western classics, youth novels and children books.
It is a shame you lost your previous tag, precisely well earned after watching those beautiful World Masterpiece Theater shows. :p

As for your second question, yes ahaha. I lived in a small town right across the border from Spain, next to Tui. That meant we had all access to basically all of your channels. I loved TVG, it was where I watched all of my anime as a kid. Shows like Eva, Detective Conan, Doraemon, and more all aired on there in the afternoon after school hours. Ahhhh sweet memories. I live in Canada now though, been here for 9 years. Do they still air anime on that channel at that time??
Nah, not like that anymore. It has been relegated to some sparse re-runs at the secondary channel TVG2, and I truly miss a bigger commitment on more airing time from them!

Man, regional TV stations in Spain (or 'televisiones autonómicas') were truly amazing programming those kind of shows... in particular Televisión de Galicia, as you mention, and Televisió de Catalunya (with channels like TV3 or Canal Super3). The latter one even spearheaded a Crayon Shin-chan phenomenon on the whole country!

I WATCHED MAYA TOO!
EDIT: Man I'm getting all Misty eyes watching these. These were simpler days man, nothing touches on these gems anymore. So many beautiful shows back then, I have really fond memories of these.

It is a shame you lost your previous tag, precisely well earned after watching those beautiful World Masterpiece Theater shows. :p

Nah, not like that anymore, and I truly miss it! Man, regional TV stations in Spain (or 'televisiones autonómicas') were truly amazing programming those kind of shows... in particular Televisión de Galicia, as you mention, and Televisió de Catalunya (with channels like TV3 or Canal Super3). The latter one even spearheaded a Crayon Shin-chan phenomenon on the whole country!
YOOOO Shin-Chan was HILARIOUS and he really was a phenomenon to the point that in all of North of Portugal everyone knew of him because he was on Galicia's channel. Like, the people watching the English dub have no idea. This kid in Spain was the fucking worst lol. I remember it like it was yesterday, his "cuiño, cuiño" while dancing around with his butt out, it was hilarious. His parents swore, he swore, ahahaha. The American version sucks in comparison.

blurr

My main issue with season one is how long they dragged out Deku's training. I don't remember it being that long in the manga, but apparently this seems to pretty take a huge chunk of season 1. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The training specifically happens in just one episode IIRC it was episode 3 which IMO was great. Then again, I didn't read the manga.

My first anime was probably Pokemon, though I didn't know it was anime. My first anime I knew was anime was Inuyasha.

Little Witch Academia Episode 22
I have to say, I did not see that reveal coming. LWA started off really slow in the first half but this second half has been markedly better. Why didn't Chariot complete the seventh word? Why do I feel it's going to come at some horrible cost? I hope 3 episodes is enough time to wrap everything up.

Alice to Zouroku Episode 9
Sana is really embracing the Alice in Wonderland imagery with her "punishment." I thought for sure that the evil organization was going to come back into the picture but at this point, it doesn't seem likely. It is nice seeing how far Sana has come though.

Theonik

/XX/

We don't get shows or animation like this anymore. There's so much life to these shots.
As I mentioned before, when you had three animators known for their legendary action sequences and you add the storyboards of an expert in timing the delivery, it can only mean crazy things would come out of that.

The good thing nowadays is that we can appreciate better than ever such amazing detail, thanks to immaculate high-definition transfers:

【PV】名探偵ホームズ Blu-ray BOX - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcJ7WdTRd3c&t=20

As I mentioned before, when you had three animators known for their legendary action sequences and you add the storyboards of an expert in timing the delivery, it can only mean crazy things would come out of that.

The good thing nowadays is that we can appreciate better than ever such amazing detail, thanks to immaculate high-definition transfers:

【PV】名探偵ホームズ Blu-ray BOX - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcJ7WdTRd3c&t=20

Holy shit that looks pristine!! I should really check out and see these classics in BD quality.

Line_HTX

My first anime that I was aware of was Outlaw Star and Tenchi Muyo. Yeah, American daytime TV was weird. I watched a real harem trash when I was still in elementary school without knowing it was one of those. Fucking Optimus Prime's voice promoting it hooked me, lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom