• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nichijou Episodes 1&2 - Another show that's been on my "to watch" list for the longest time. I've seen the gifs so I've been really eager to get into it. I haven't quite busted out laughing yet, but I've still really enjoyed the various gags. And from an animation standpoint, this series is a visual treat.

Nichijou Episodes 1&2 - Another show that's been on my "to watch" list for the longest time. I've seen the gifs so I've been really eager to get into it. I haven't quite busted out laughing yet, but I've still really enjoyed the various gags. And from an animation standpoint, this series is a visual treat.

Takes some time to get used to its style of comedy and to know the characters better. It became increasingly funnier to me overall. Of course some sketches will be hit or miss anyways.

blurr

March Comes in like a Lion 19

Appreciate Shimada's perpetual struggle to keep up with Souya despite never closing the gap between them but that's probably something I can't see myself doing.

Cornbread78

Oh god, Charlotte's last episode could've been an entire season on its own. What a complete disaster that was.

I'm starting to get kind of starting to get angry again thinking about it.

An entire season of Yuu traveling around the world stealing and sealing special powers from everyone could have been awesome stuff and allowed them to actually develop the whole Yuu x Nao relationship. The OVA would have been perfect as a regular episode to develop their relationship to give it more impact at the ending. The same would have been said for the notes Nao and Yuu were sending back and forth during the ordeal that happened off-screen rather than the audience being in on the development.

e36ad575820f990c8296a459c1403909ee4cf519_hq.gif

Despite this huge flaw at the end, I really enjoyed my time with the show and I loved Nao as a character... IT's a shame they never fully develop her character and never followed up on certain story elements that could have made a difference in the overall narrative.

LotusHD

Banned

You're not alone in that, it's one of the worst things I've ever wasted my time watching. In regards to anime, few things irk me more than a show with vastly wasted potential. Because at least with an outright bad show, you don't even bother getting past 1 or 2 episodes. A mediocre show just draws you in, and by the time you realize that you really shouldn't have bothered, it's too late. :(

Also it reminds me of an acquaintance that legit thinks it's a masterpiece (10/10 at least), so yea...

Szadek

Yuki Yuna is a Hero - Ep. 5-12
That's was really great...except for the ending.
I don't mind this kind of ending, but it didn't really work. It really should have been explained and/or foreshadowed better.
In any case, it isn't that such a big deal and it's pretty much my only real problem with this anime.
Well, except maybe that real world looks kind of bland, but the other world made up for that in spades.

With the negative stuff out of the way, let's focus on the good stuff, because the anime does many things right.
For instance, the entire is great. They all get a decent amount of screetime and development.
My favorite would be Yuki Yuna herself, but I have soft spot for this kind of character.
Togo was great as well and certainly the most complex character of the anime.
The plot was good ,too, with some awesome twists in the later episodes.

I also really liked the monster. There designs are creepy and creative.
They are also CG, but that really works in thier favor, since it makes them look more otherworldly.
On top of that they make for some really cool fight scenes. It helps that their abilities are very distinct.
Speaking of fight scenes, episode 11 had a fight that was simultaneously exteremly badass and very depressing.
The amazing OST made that scene even more perfect.

The anime ain't no Madoka Magica, but it's miles ahead of Day Break Illusion and Rising Project.
I would defentily recommand it.
Hopefully the sequel/prequel- thing will be just as good with a better ending and it could be my AOTY, but let's not get ahead of ourself.

An entire season of Yuu traveling around the world stealing and sealing special powers from everyone could have been awesome stuff and allowed them to actually develop the whole Yuu x Nao relationship. The OVA would have been perfect as a regular episode to develop their relationship to give it more impact at the ending. The same would have been said for the notes Nao and Yuu were sending back and forth during the ordeal that happened off-screen rather than the audience being in on the development.

e36ad575820f990c8296a459c1403909ee4cf519_hq.gif

Despite this huge flaw at the end, I really enjoyed my time with the show and I loved Nao as a character... IT's a shame they never fully develop her character and never followed up on certain story elements that could have made a difference in the overall narrative.

You're not alone in that, it's one of the worst things I've ever wasted my time watching. In regards to anime, few things irk me more than a show with vastly wasted potential. Because at least with an outright bad show, you don't even bother getting past 1 or 2 episodes. A mediocre show just draws you in, and by the time you realize that you really shouldn't have bothered, it's too late. :(

Also it reminds me of an acquaintance that legit thinks it's a masterpiece (10/10 at least), so yea...

Better than Glasslip...

phaze

Beheading Cycle 03
028179hgr6w.jpg
028190fto3i.jpg
028192hsqai.jpg
028173cgob2.jpg

Shaaaaaft

- Apocalypse will come not because of climate change, atom bombs or aliens but cause one of those days, Shaft are going to make a show with backgrounds in full CG and as one scene in this ep shows, these people got no restraint and when unchained, will give everyone seizures by moving the camera so much and so fast.

- CG in general is a bit hit&miss. Nothing as awful as that one cut next to the cherry tree from ep 1 but some of the backgrounds despite being stylized still seem off and and after a bunch of basically not noticable CG for characters, the end scenes here really were jarring to the eye.

- Is it me or more and more shows are using some kind of lens flare effect ?

- Rewatched ep 1 and there's bit more to mc-kun then I gave him credit so far.

- The owner of the island and her maids are so transparently sketchy that surely, this must be just a red herring.

- I can never quite grasp what makes Issin's dialogue so good a lot of time but it shines here yet again most of the time.

- Overall it's decent. It's basically Nisio we all like/love/hate channeling his inner Agatha Christie.Cause ... there's like ... murder that transpired here. As per usual, surprising no one, this is basically 3 episodes of people talking. People who were bored with Katanagatari or Mono don't have anything to look here for but for others it might prove worth checking out

Cornbread78

Chaika S2 ep-9-END
Did they save the entire show's budget or that last episode? Lots of great action shots and the animation and coloring was a big step up from the rest of the series.
The ending felt kind of rushed, but I appreciated how they did it (OK, it was a huge a$$pull, but it worked in the good guys favor, so it's all right. I mean, Touru got his, unappreciated harem ending, lol. Cute image at the end, although, it was really out of place and not mentioned at all previously in the show....

It's a shame what they did to the poor gundo though. She had her own free will until the end, and then.......

There is really offensive content on this page, Charlotte better than Glasslip is impossible.

Well, it's true in 99.999999999999999999% of people.

laUXWji.gif

I am the one usually getting this response, lol

kewlmyc

Chaika S2 ep-9-END

Did they save the entire show's budget or that last episode? Lots of great action shots and the animation and coloring was a big step up from the rest of the series.
The ending felt kind of rushed, but I appreciated how they did it (OK, it was a huge a$$pull, but it worked in the good guys favor, so it's all right. I mean, Touru got his, unappreciated harem ending, lol. Cute image at the end, although, it was really out of place and not mentioned at all previously in the show....

It's a shame what they did to the poor gundo though. She had her own free will until the end, and then.......

The ending is rushed as fuck. They were following the source for 2 episodes per novel for most of the run, but then decided to add 3 anime original episodes at the beginning of season two, then tried to go back to the 2 episodes per novel pace. Problem is, they didn't have enough episodes in season two to tell the whole story with the pace they were going, which lead to the rushed shitty ending we got. Would love if the novels got translated one day to see how it was supposed to end.

Oh well, at least the character designs were on point throughout.

Cornbread78

The ending is rushed as fuck. They were following the source for 2 episodes per novel for most of the run, but then decided to add 3 anime original episodes at the beginning of season two, then tried to go back to the 2 episodes per novel pace. Problem is, they didn't have enough episodes in season two to tell the whole story with the pace they were going, which lead to the rushed shitty ending we got. Would love if the novels got translated one day to see how it was supposed to end.

Oh well, at least the character designs were on point throughout.

Glad to know I wasn't imagining things with the pacing, lol

Finally, some clarification.

nman you are like the master of confirmation bias. even though I agree with Jexhius we've had tons of people saying that the episode recontextualizes the show and makes them feel better about it

I mean you can also recongtextualize your show without kneecapping most of it so the twist works. Like the GOAT Utena

Jex

To clarify a little further, would I recommend that someone sit down and watch the whole Little Witch Academia TV series? No, I wouldn't, because it's mostly mediocre to bad, with a few good episodes scattered throughout.

The twist itself is very good though and it does re-contextualise a number of events in the series. It's easily the most impressive thing about the show's writing. It's so good, in fact, that I really wish it was in a much better series. Unfortunately, it ends up just being a really great piece of macro screenwriting - one whose quality is present in the rest of the text. Almost everything else that surrounds this one (admittedly excellent) idea is still pretty poor.

Kenstar

See if Akko was NOT a little shithead this entire time ep 22 would contextualize all her (hypothetical) hard work and time put in and maybe she'd
feel like it was a huge waste of time since you can't GANBARU your way to magic powers if the potential was stolen from you from day 1, and have actual hatred for chariot

BUT ALAS

GAF, how is Mushishi's second season? I watched the first season through once several years ago but never picked up the second season.

Worth it, or no?

Quasar

This show is sweet. There are some awkward pauses here and there in between dialogue but the main dynamic between Otani and Koizumi is so great you really don't care.

Yeah. Hope you can handle oblivious guys though. There's some weaponised obliviousness in that show which most likely have you raging.

phaze

GAF, how is Mushishi's second season? I watched the first season through once several years ago but never picked up the second season.

Worth it, or no?

Somewhat inferior to S1 but still really good ?

Remember about the special or double episode or whatever that thing between the seasons was.

Jex

Worth it, or no?

All Mushishi is much worth watching. I agree with the sentiment that the first season is a bit better, but it's still great.

petran79

Banned
To clarify a little further, would I recommend that someone sit down and watch the whole Little Witch Academia TV series? No, I wouldn't, because it's mostly mediocre to bad, with a few good episodes scattered throughout.

I watch it mainly for the animation tbh,reminding me of good old Gainax,minus the fanservice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom