• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

I also fall in the temptation sometimes of being cute with the titles, but.... I don't know what the hell is that.

oh ... sorry. Here you go: Beheading Cycle: The Blue Savant and the Master of Nonsense (that last bit I've seen also translated as: "the Bearer of Nonsense)

better ? :p

with original title being: Kubikiri Cycle: Aoiro Savant to Zaregototsukai and it being referred to as just Zaregoto from what I understand.

Generally I'm pretty alright with stylized characters. I wish more shows were more visually ambitious.

That said, I don't know.

download.png

I don't know about these necks.

Still looking forward to it tho.

Generally I'm pretty alright with stylized characters. I wish more shows were more visually ambitious.

That said, I don't know.

download.png

At one point people believed Newtypes were the future. Or those born with quirks. But now we know the true destiny of mankind: Giraffe Man is the next stage in human evolution!

Hamst3r

https://s15.postimg.org/vqyf58u6z/download.png

I mean, I know someone with a neck that long. And when they're in a photo it makes everyone else in the photo look like they don't have a neck. So, I'm cool with these necks. Necks like these exist.

nman you are like the master of confirmation bias. even though I agree with Jexhius we've had tons of people saying that the episode recontextualizes the show and makes them feel better about it

I don't just want to enjoy the shows I watch. I want to feel GOOD about enjoying it. And that means listening to people who write lengthy well-worded opinion pieces about it.

Part of me kind of liked the first episode of Regalia the Three Sacred Stars. Maybe I would have liked the rest of the show for its Super Robots had I continued past episode three, despite the shows's many faults. But what would be the point? Even if I enjoyed it, the logical part of my brain would have prevented me from actually enjoying that enjoyment.

If I posted about how much I liked it regardless, I would have been known as that one dude who will watch and enjoy any bad mecha anime so long as it has 2D Super Robots.

That's why I need confirmation. Confirmation that the thing I'm watching and enjoying, is a good thing to enjoy.

That's not to say I'll always 100% agree, but it's almost always a reference point I look towards.

Maybe I'd enjoy LWA, but it'd still be shit.

I mean, I know someone with a neck that long. And when they're in a photo it makes everyone else in the photo look like they don't have a neck. So, I'm cool with these necks. Necks like these exist.

Necks like that definitely exist, but in Welcome to the Ballroom...

...they seem to be kind of the norm. It's a stylistic choice, and I don't know, it just doesn't work for me. Granted, when it's a full body shot I think it looks a lot more natural, because the dancers all seem to have long arms/legs as well.

To each their own.

At one point people believed Newtypes were the future. Or those born with quirks. But now we know the true destiny of mankind: Giraffe Man is the next stage in human evolution!

Come to think of it, I'm kinda surprised a giraffe man hasn't shown up in My Hero Academia...

phaze

Necks like that definitely exist, but in Welcome to the Ballroom...

...they seem to be kind of the norm. It's a stylistic choice, and I don't know, it just doesn't work for me. Granted, when it's a full body shot I think it looks a lot more natural, because the dancers all seem to have long arms/legs as well.

To each their own.

Yeah, this looks pretty ridiculous. They better clamp down on it.

Jarmel

Banned
Not in the know, were you hunting for staff/va signatures for those three years ?

I picked up the first few from Animazement and pretty much drove or flew to conventions everywhere for the past few years. I remember driving 12 hours to get Kobayashi's autograph.
I went to a few more conventions but I didn't keep those badges or lost them.

I don't just want to enjoy the shows I watch. I want to feel GOOD about enjoying it. And that means listening to people who write lengthy well-worded opinion pieces about it.

Part of me kind of liked the first episode of Regalia the Three Sacred Stars. Maybe I would have liked the rest of the show for its Super Robots had I continued past episode three, despite the shows's many faults. But what would be the point? Even if I enjoyed it, the logical part of my brain would have prevented me from actually enjoying that enjoyment.

If I posted about how much I liked it regardless, I would have been known as that one dude who will watch and enjoy any bad mecha anime so long as it has 2D Super Robots.

That's why I need confirmation. Confirmation that the thing I'm watching and enjoying, is a good thing to enjoy.

That's not to say I'll always 100% agree, but it's almost always a reference point I look towards.

The point would be to have fun? What's it matter if the stuff you like isn't perfect, great, or critically lauded? So what if you'd be known as the guy who enjoys shows as long as they have a 2D robot in it? I don't think loving a show for the elements that appeal to you, while also understanding the ways in which it's flawed, are mutually exclusive ideas.

you do you, but I think you're doing yourself a disservice by hampering your field of view because someone articulates the issues they've had/found within a particular anime. I've often found that what really drives my passion and critical consensus don't automatically correlate and there's plenty of fun, even if not great, series I would've passed on because the critics said it was garbage.

Chase17

That said, I don't know.

download.png

Something something...flower and the frame!

Necks seems weird in the stills but I'll probably get used to it pretty quick.

Cornbread78

Darker than Black ep.1-3
I was looking for something a little dark and edgy, so I gave this one a try.. I'm still not sure WTF is going on, but this dudes got a crew and he trues to help people with special powers, or is he trying to hurt them? I'm not sure what side of good or evil the dude falls under, lol.

Taruranto

Sangatsu #19

Why do these old men feel so creepy

This is very good! The narrator doesn't really talk much anymore and I'm really liking Rei's new sugar daddy. No idea why I'm not watching this more. Only 3 episodes left, I should just take the plunge and finish it tomorrow.

Darker than Black ep.1-3

I was looking for something a little dark and edgy, so I gave this one a try.. I'm still not sure WTF is going on, but this dudes got a crew and he trues to help people with special powers, or is he trying to hurt them? I'm not sure what side of good or evil the dude falls under, lol.

DtB S1's plot is mostly confusing, though it does solid characters, a great atmosphere and the stand-alone episodes are generally pretty cool.
It also features my husbando Hei.

Too bad they never made a sequel! Well, maybe it's not so bad. I doubt they could recapture the original's atmosphere.

Nephtis

fvE7E2B.gif

I loved this show. Ending was so well done!

Have you seen Anohana or Clannad as of yet?

I've seen Clannad, but it just didn't do much for me. I think it was because of the eyes lol.

That scene was amazing indeed - but the more powerful one is when he finally said goodbye to his mom. When he did his last performance with Kaori, his facial expressions were what killed me. He played the piano, and stayed true to his part, but damned if it wasn't tearing his soul apart. This show just hit all the right notes for me (pun intended), as a fellow musician.

1リットルの涙 was another show that destroyed me. Anime wise, I think the only other show to come close was 半分の月がのぼる空.

Syrinx

People using VRV: have you found it better than CR? I just noticed they finally have an app for tablets so I'm thinking about switching to that, especially since he CR app on my tablet has been running like monkey nuts the past couple of days.

Narag

People using VRV: have you found it better than CR? I just noticed they finally have an app for tablets so I'm thinking about switching to that, especially since he CR app on my tablet has been running like monkey nuts the past couple of days.

You can link your CR account to VRV and access the CR stuff without paying extra fwiw.

Cornbread78

I've seen Clannad, but it just didn't do much for me. I think it was because of the eyes lol.

That scene was amazing indeed - but the more powerful one is when he finally said goodbye to his mom. When he did his last performance with Kaori, his facial expressions were what killed me. He played the piano, and stayed true to his part, but damned if it wasn't tearing his soul apart. This show just hit all the right notes for me (pun intended), as a fellow musician.

1リットルの涙 was another show that destroyed me. Anime wise, I think the only other show to come close was 半分の月がのぼる空.

Give Anohana a watch; you might like that one. That or even A Lull in the Sea both have some pretty powerful scenes.

Cornbread78

Tokyo Ravens ep.8-9
Well, the fights are certainly a lot of fun, but we are still just scratching the surface of the world and its lore. Hopefully, they expend the characters more like they just did with Touji.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Darker than Black ep.1-3

Really good one season show. Too bad they never made a second season, it would have been great.

zulux21

They're also supposed to implement Funi linking soon but haven't yet.

they do that and I will likely ditch funi for them assuming the link works both ways.

as it stands the lack of one piece on VRV is a compete deal breaker for me as about 30% of the reason I sub to funi is for the new dubbed one piece eps.

Quasar

Tokyo Ravens ep.8-9

Well, the fights are certainly a lot of fun, but we are still just scratching the surface of the world and its lore. Hopefully, they expend the characters more like they just did with Touji.

They certainly do get more into the lore as the plot develops.

Lumyst

Give Anohana a watch; you might like that one. That or even A Lull in the Sea both have some pretty powerful scenes.

What's the nature of the "heartbreakingness" of Anohana? Is it that
truly bad outcomes happen to people
? I've been lurking these seasonal anime threads and found that shows from Kyoto Animation and P.A. Works are to my tastes :p I just finished A Lull in the Sea (excellent show, had to get the Blu-Rays mid-way through rather than continuing to stream to do justice to the amazing backgrounds) and in my opinion
the ending was the best possible ending given the circumstances, nobody died, everybody is able to move forward, people from the surface can be granted ena and enter Shioshishio, sea god is willing to be reasoned with and has its misunderstanding corrected and even it could move forward, the climate catastrophe is averted, only five years passed rather than, say, 100 years, maybe it's kind of sad to wonder what it would have been like if Tsumugu and Chisaki could grow together with the others but imo 5 years isn't THAT long of a gap and those two had each other to keep company in the mean time, haha)
I can imagine that when the show was being aired weekly it would have held people in suspense as to the direction it would go, so
the threat of it getting tragic could have made it more heartpulling, but I just binge watched it instead over a week

Aki-at

Really good one season show. Too bad they never made a second season, it would have been great.

Is it like Chuunibyou? I wanted a second season of that but probably better they didn't, might have turned into some weird harem anime and retreading old plot points.

Oushitsu Kyoushi Haine Episode 10
Haine is a criminal, but it's okay because he teaches orphans. Part of me wonders if he's one of the orphans and just adopted the real Haine's identity.

Roku de Nashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records Episode 10
Glenn is a bastard but he's somehow likeable. I think that's the most frustrating part of this show, if I didn't like Glenn, it'd definitely be a 6 rather than a 7.

ID-0 Episode 9
I did not see Ido's true identity reveal coming haha.
Does that make the man in the mask a clone? Or a copy?
Also Rick got a death flag, although I hope that's just a red herring.

BORUTO Episode 10
Hinata was super cute this episode. She makes a good mom.

Steins;Gate Episode 15
So that's what that machine was. We got a lot of reveals in this episode, and now it feels we've got a concrete goal in mind.

Kubikiri Cycle Episode 6
I honestly have no idea who the killer is. Iria and her maids are psychopaths but they seem too obvious to be the killer. I'm half expecting it to be someone we haven't seen yet. Everyone keeps saying that the MC is scum, essentially, but have we really seen any evidence of that? I know it's from his perspective, but still.

Parts of that scene, including the screenshot you posted, aren't even in the game. White Fox did a fantastic job with Steins;Gate by trimming the fat while adding new really good material and this episode was one of the most evident examples of that.

That's really nice to hear. I'd heard people say the game wasn't as good as the anime, but I didn't know of any real specifics.

Ascheroth

I thought you were known as that guy who watches everything as long as it has 2D mechs anyway. I didn't even realize you didn't finish Regalia.

A first step would also be letting your confirmation bias work in reverse as well, because as far as I've seen your confirmation bias only takes negative opinions into account. If you've made up your mind about an anime from the beginning (because maybe it has CG mechs and you don't like the design), no amount of universal praise will get you to reconsider your opinion. *cough* Kuromukuro, Fafner Exodus *cough*

You remind me a little of a friend of mine, who really liked Undertale. Then he read all the loud negative opinions about the game from some people on the internet and how the fandom is awful, etc. Nowadays he believes Undertale is shit and that he never liked it because he always read that it's shit online and surely there's no way he could've ever liked something the (perceived) majority thinks is shit?

I don't think letting your thoughts about entertainment be entirely dictated by third-parties is a good thing. Sure, taking into account opinions of like-minded individuals never hurts, but ultimately everyone has different tastes in some way.
If you think someone is fun, then it shouldn't stop being fun just because someone else says they didn't have fun.

phaze

I picked up the first few from Animazement and pretty much drove or flew to conventions everywhere for the past few years. I remember driving 12 hours to get Kobayashi's autograph.

Grats and mad props for dedication then.

DiGiKerot

Congrats, man. Intensely jealous - I shudder to think how insanely expensive it'd be for someone outside the US to even attempt such a thing!

Cornbread78

What's the nature of the "heartbreakingness" of Anohana? Is it that
truly bad outcomes happen to people
? I've been lurking these seasonal anime threads and found that shows from Kyoto Animation and P.A. Works are to my tastes :p.

First off, welcome abd come post more here!

Now, to the meat, Anohana is all about being true to yourself, letting go of the past, friendship and moving forward in life.

That's really all I can say without delving into spoiler territory. It's definitely worth a watch!.

Now on Lull, I'm going to agree unilaterally with everything you said. The only thing I wish they did better, was with the main ship and the final scene. I mean
why the hell are they sitting 5 feet apart on the bench? After everything that happened, that's how they get treated as a couple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom