• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the only way you could get me to play Mario party

You can play as the best member of the Mario crew tho, Waluigi.

Waluigi_MP8a.png

I've always felt a sort of spiritual connection with him.

Jarmel

Banned
zaShunina is evil, creates a clone of Shinto because the latter was hesitant to proceed with zaShunina's plans on "advancing" humanity, tries to destroy Shinto, Tsukai stops his attack and it's revealed she is an anisotropic being too.
Ok the first half is fine, I guessed that anyway as the preview gave it away. That second half is garbage.

Fuck, this AnimeNext bullshit already has me in a bad mood.

Taruranto

I don't think Kado's twist in particularly bad, honestly
I think it makes Tsukai a better character in retrospect, she knows what the anisotripic are and what they can do so at least it feels like she no longer dislikes zaShunina "just because".

I do find funny that everyone is in love with Shindo though:

Kabuki Club Episode 10

Akutsu x Ebihara needs to happen in a major Kabuki production from the club. The friendship bonding through rivalry was sweet.

And then new years day, ah I love Akutsu so much and how he bonded with Kuro.

JulianImp

You can play as the best member of the Mario crew tho, Waluigi.

Waluigi_MP8a.png

I've always felt a sort of spiritual connection with him.

Mario Party 3 was the best of the N64 ones because it was the first game where you could play as Waluigi, and you could also spam his laugh whenever it wasn't your turn by mashing the L button.

WAAAAH!

I don't think Kado's twist in particularly bad, honestly
I think it makes Tsukai a better character in retrospect, she knows what the anisotripic are and what they can do so at least it feels like she no longer dislikes zaShunina "just because".

I do finny funny that everyone is in love with Shindo though:

I guess it's just you and me now who think anything positive about it. shame. I prefer positive gaf over sky is falling gaf.

JulianImp

I guess it's just you and me now who think anything positive about it. shame. I prefer positive gaf over sky is falling gaf.

Hyperbole much?

Seriously, it was a show that started with an interesting premise of an otherworldly being that arrives to Earth, presents earthlings with things that will certainly change the world, and the moral, economical and sociopolitical issues that result from those "gifts". The plot appeared to be non-confrontative, so it's pretty underwhelming when the twist is that
the entity was actually evil, makes a doppleganger out of the protagonist to further its own goals, and the generic anime girl turns out to be another otherworldy entity who opposes Yaha.

The sky isn't falling, only that it led many of us to think it'd be a different kind of story from what it ended up being, and it's normal to be upset when you realize what you thought was an appealing and novel plot turns out to be way closer to the same old generic anime plots we're used to seeing.

This year hasn't been all that great thus far compared to last year, true. I would say we still got Youjo Senki, but I get the feeling I'm in the minority there given how little I see it mentioned.

JulianImp

This year hasn't been all that great thus far compared to last year, true. I would say we still got Youjo Senki, but I get the feeling I'm in the minority there given how little I see it mentioned.

You forgot the second seasons of Rakugo (except for the last five or so minutes of the very final episode), and perhaps Konosuba as well.

And yeah, Youjo Senki was definetly nice, but the female character designs did leave a lot to be desired IMO.

Hyperbole much?

Seriously, it was a show that started with an interesting premise of an otherworldly being that arrives to Earth, presents earthlings with things that will certainly change the world, and the moral, economical and sociopolitical issues that result from those "gifts". The plot appeared to be non-confrontative, so it's pretty underwhelming when the twist is that
the entity was actually evil, makes a doppleganger out of the protagonist to further its own goals, and the generic anime girl turns out to be another otherworldy entity who opposes Yaha.

The sky isn't falling, only that it led many of us to think it'd be a different kind of story from what it ended up being, and it's normal to be upset when you realize what you thought was an appealing and novel plot turns out to be way closer to the same old generic anime plots we're used to seeing.

I'm talking about today so far, so as far as I've seen: No, it wasn't Hyperbole to say we were the only ones who had anything positive to say. I'm primarily talking about today's episode, rather than the series as a whole.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being upset, but if you want to talk about hyperbole I'd say the "this anime year is awful" talk is actually what fits the bill.

As for the whole being disappointed reasoning: Yeah I can understand being disheartened that it got a bit more anime in the last couple episodes than how the series started. That said, I was always unsure of where it would go. I wasn't positive it would remain as non-conformist as it had sold itself. I wasn't even positive that that would've been a good thing as the show was doing a pretty questionable job of escalation and bringing tension to the situation. My suspicion is that if it had remained non-conformist it would've ultimately ended up as boring, without any real meat or drama to it.

So because I didn't have such expectations I guess the change over doesn't hit me as hard. Also, the last couple episodes had introduced very anime-esque elements, I think this shift was coming.

Do I think Kado is perfect? No, it has a lot of flaws. I also don't think this development automatically makes it an awful show. I'm waiting to see what the series will do with this development.

Gulz1992

grabit.gif

Berserk 2016/2017 is like the Highlander 2 of anime. It needs to be seen to be believed. On the other hand, maybe that's too high a price to pay.

You forgot the second seasons of Rakugo (except for the last five or so minutes of the very final episode), and perhaps Konosuba as well.

And yeah, Youjo Senki was definetly nice, but the female character designs did leave a lot to be desired IMO.
Sadly, I have not seen either season of Rakugo yet (only really got back into watching stuff regularly this past season, so I need to go back to check them out) and Konosuba's second season fell oddly flat for me, so I stopped watching early on.

Then again, one of my favorite shows from last season was ACCA, so I'm in no position to judge anyone's taste!

Qurupeke

I mean, if people watched Kado because they thought it's an interesting show with The Arrival vibes or because they liked the political drama and the bureaucracy, the last few episodes were nothing like that. I didn't like Kado much when it was considered good, but I hoped it could end up as something decent, but it only managed to betray my expectations further.

As far as the latest episode goes...

Tbh, I hate the twist about zaShunina being evil. There was enough foreshadowing already, but I kind of hoped he would be a "grey" being and more conflicted. From what I understand, he's actually pretty rotten. We spent so many episodes with him supposedly learning about humanity and forming a bond with Shinto, and his change was rather drastic. It seems he basically never cared about anything and saw humanity as a profitable expirement, which is totally out of character.

The Tsukai twist was just dumb though. It really doesn't make sense as it is now, though I suppose we'll get some explanation on the next episode. In a show that grabbed most people with its premise, this was a long jump away from that and it pretty much sealed the deal. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a final battle out of a shonen later.

Taruranto

Everyone should forget Rakugo S2 if possible.

I mean, if people watched Kado because they thought it's an interesting show with The Arrival vibes or because they liked the political drama and the bureaucracy, the last few episodes were nothing like that. I didn't like Kado much when it was considered good, but I hoped it could end up as something decent, but it only managed to betray my expectations further.

Tbh, I hate the twist about zaShunina being evil. There was enough foreshadowing already, but I kind of hoped he would be a "grey" being and more conflicted. From what I understand, he's actually pretty rotten. We spent so many episodes with him supposedly learning about humanity and forming a bond with Shinto, and his change was rather drastic. It seems he basically never cared about anything and saw humanity as a profitable expirement, which is totally out of character.

Are we suppose to think zaShunina is evil, tho? Him wanting to kill and replace Shindo because he messed up his proposal certainly is, but his gifts and views of humanity still fall into the gray zone I think.

Qurupeke

Are we suppose to think zaShunina is evil, tho? Him wanting to kill and replace Shindo because he messed up his proposal certainly is, but his gifts and views of humanity still fall into the gray zone I think.

That's a very dark grey zone then. He exploits humanity for his own profit.

The Tsukai twist was just dumb though. It really doesn't make sense as it is now, though I suppose we'll get some explanation on the next episode. In a show that grabbed most people with its premise, this was a long jump away from that and it pretty much sealed the deal. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a final battle out of a shonen later.

The learning about humanity ties directly into the evil twist. He created us to process knowledge and that's exactly what he's been using us for. I think you're right, he never cared about anything. But I also feel like that was him from the very start. He did nice things for us, but he never showed much emotion, or seemed interested in saving lives or providing a better tomorrow for us. His focus was entirely on pushing us forward significantly so he could have even more information to process.

As the Tsukai twist goes: I feel it's too early to call. Is it very anime? Yes. Is it bad? I think it depends what direction it sends the show in. I agree the show has shifted away from its initial introduction in the last couple episodes and I can understand disappointment in that.

Sterok

Twin Angel Break 10

No more happy fun times. Only maximum despair allowed. The Twin Angel organization needs to get some professional psychologists for situations like these. Especially since Meguru's family is steeped in darkness. Be a bit more careful when unlocking forbidden potential. Sumire is still a good friend at least. And Billy is back. Why Billy. Well he's entertaining at least.

JulianImp

Not after that twist. I can't even look at Kiku anymore.

Even if you condemn the last-minute reveal, the writing, pacing, direction, framing and acting were all top notch, and I really liked how it was more grounded and less tropey than most anime I've seen as of late, all while still taking advantage of the things it can do better due to not being live action.

LotusHD

Banned
It's truly unfortunate for those 5 minutes to ruin it for some people, as there's still so much to love.

It's a shame. Like, you can (understandably) dislike it or even hate it, but the show itself was still some good shit for both seasons. That said, I know how important an ending can be, and how much it can suck if one feels it didn't stick the landing, so it's whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom