• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
That shit Rakugo pulled at the god damn very end of season 2 really put a damper on it for me. I can't help but view the entire series in a slightly different light.

That anime could've been legit my top anime series recommendation for people who are sceptical about anime. The very last episode changed that.

That shit Rakugo pulled at the god damn very end of season 2 really put a damper on it for me. I can't help but view the entire series in a slightly different light.

That anime could've been legit my top anime series recommendation for people who are sceptical about anime. The very last episode changed that.
I can't blame you, soured me as well on season 2 which I was actually enjoying more than season 1.

Don't know why you would include that.

I didn't have a problem, but I have been curious how my father will react to it as he loved season 1.

LotusHD

Banned

Meh, I never liked the whole implication I've been seemingly seeing from people that that reveal made the show go "full anime", that now it's ultimately different from all the stereotypical fanservice-laden shows and what not that people often deride. Feels very reductive.

Meh, I never liked the whole implication I've been seemingly seeing from people that that reveal made the show go "full anime", that now it's ultimately different from all the stereotypical fanservice-laden shows and what not that people often deride. Feels very reductive.

It didn't go "full anime". It went "full fujoshi", however, and had Kiku fuck with Konatsu so we can have Kiku and Sukeruko father their love child so to say. At the same time hand-waving how damaging this sexual and incestuous relationship between Kiku and his adopted daughter is. Konatsu just kinda laughs about that ordeal and the show itself didn't paint it in a particularly critical light either. We aren't supposed to be creeped out, it's merely a fujoshi fantasy! Oh if only they could've cut that crap from the adaption.

Taruranto

I mean
lady falls for her father figure
is a very famous Josei clichè, so I can see why people say it went full anime.

My issue with Rakugo S2's ending is not the ending per se, but the way it recontextualize their relationship and completely changes Kiku's character in my eyes.

It's like you are eating a delicious cake and when you are about to finish they tell you the cake is
a lie.
Fuck that! Of course I'm going to be pissed.

Line_HTX

Kado 09

Sign my petition for duckroll to never hype anything ever again

duckroll lied, people... died?

I don't know guys.

giphy.gif

She doesn't strike me as the type of girl I could play Mario Party with...

I'd play the game for the hose. The red eyes though.

JulianImp

I guess the best recommendation to anyone would be "just stop watching after the 13-minute mark of the final episode. Trust me on this one".

And yeah, I agree that it's more of the fujoshi fantasy of giving us a character that was both Kiku and Sukeroku at once and really shakes up the way you were likely to interpret the interactions between Kiku and Chinatsu in, which is kind of similar in the whole "betrayal of expectations" issue most of us have with Kado, only Rakugo being an actually good series was a known quantity (unlike Kado, which was mostly whishful thinking) hurt that much more.

LotusHD

Banned
It didn't go "full anime". It went "full fujoshi", however, and had Kiku fuck with Konatsu so we can have Kiku and Sukeruko father their love child so to say. At the same time hand-waving how damaging this sexual and incestuous relationship between Kiku and his adopted daughter is. Konatsu just kinda laughs about that ordeal and the show itself didn't paint it in a particularly critical light either. We aren't supposed to be creeped out, it's merely a fujoshi fantasy! Oh if only they could've cut that crap from the adaption.

I mean
lady falls for her father figure
is a very famous Josei clichè, so I can see why people say it went full anime.

My issue with Rakugo S2's ending is not the ending per se, but the way it recontextualize their relationship and completely changes Kiku's character in my eyes.

It's like you are eating a delicious cake and when you are about to finish they tell you the cake is
a lie.
Fuck that! Of course I'm going to be pissed.

These are fair critiques that I completely agree with, just didn't make the anime come off as stereotypical to me. Just very disappointing. That said, I'm admittedly not aware of how big the cliche may be (Though yes, a woman falling for a father figure is not a new concept)

These are fair critiques that I completely agree with, just didn't make the anime come off as stereotypical to me. Just very disappointing. That said, I'm admittedly not aware of how big the cliche may be (Though yes, a woman falling for a father figure is not a new concept)

Yeh I didn't mean to imply that Rakugo as a whole became particularly trope-ish or anything. Even season 2 which I wasn't quite as fond of to begin with I'd still rate like a 8/10. It is however extremely disappointing when one of my favorite shows ends up on a sour note, especially when I already thought it basically hit the mark on its finish. For the epilogue to reveal that kind of bomb...sigh.

I guess the best recommendation to anyone would be "just stop watching after the 13-minute mark of the final episode. Trust me on this one".

Basically. But everyone knows that suggesting this is kinda dumb as there'd be hardly any viewer making it through and enjoying all of season 1 and 2 just to then not be curious as to how the last episode should better be (partially) skipped.

It doesn't sound exactly promising to say that to begin with.

Eccentric Family S2 9

Man, Yasaburo pushed his luck a bit too far there. This whole season has been one humiliation after another for him, as he thinks he can comfortably go around manipulating people at his leisure and ends up in one mess after another. It'll be interesting to see what, if any, lessons he takes away from this.

Why does this look like Hellsing and what is it. LOL

It's called Kakegurui. I haven't read the manga but the gist I got from reading about it is she's supposed to be going to this school where the hierarchy of the student body is determined through gambling and she starts playing 4D chess on these fools.

I don't know guys.

giphy.gif

She doesn't strike me as the type of girl I could play Mario Party with...

I'm going to be so salty of Amazon Strike ends up picking this up lol

It didn't sour the series for me, but it does prevent me from recommending the series to anyone who would possibly enjoy a period piece.

I would still recommend it. I'm certainly not fond of that one scene either, but I'm not going to let 5 minutes which are not referenced either before or after get in the way of appreciating the excellence of the rest of the series. Nothing is perfect, after all.

Taruranto

Lion #20

Honestly, this character sorta annoys me. The show has a lot of humor, but, other than that, I would consider the characters kinda grounded... and then you have Arima from Tokyo Ghoul.

I can't even tell if he's an actual albino in the show universe or it's just anime hairs.

JulianImp

The jokes thrown that show's way are pretty funny given how easily people get offended and pretend not to watch other lewd series, really.

It's called Kakegurui. I haven't read the manga but the gist I got from reading about it is she's supposed to be going to this school where the hierarchy of the student body is determined through gambling and she starts playing 4D chess on these fools.

I'm going to be so salty of Amazon Strike ends up picking this up lol

I wanna watch it because I hear that it was a great manga that I was thinking about picking up to read. Seems like a mix of Death Note craziness and No Game No Life, which I am all about those two things.

So it's the thing I am most excited about next season.

Which means it'll be on Anime Strike. Which will drive me up the wall...

kewlmyc

I would still recommend it. I'm certainly not fond of that one scene either, but I'm not going to let 5 minutes which are not referenced either before or after get in the way of appreciating the excellence of the rest of the series. Nothing is perfect, after all.

I still think it's a good show too, I just know recommending it to a casual fan would have them probably not liking it just for that 5 minutes, even though the rest of the series is great. Take this thread alone as example of that.

100% Teacher Pascal Episode 9

Class seating is serious was the best of the parts in this anime so far, and poor Kanemori Steeeve again, everytime he said Pascal after getting a bad seat, lol. I wish this was 22 minutes, not 12.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
i watched an unholy amount of monogatari these past 4 months and it was pretty good, the only ones left to watch is koyomonogatari and the movies. I didn't watch koyomimonogatari because it sounded like a lot of unrelated non important stories so i went straight into owarimonogatari, i'll be watching it today i think

i also made this gif, which is very important

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
i watched an unholy amount of monogatari these past 4 months and it was pretty good, the only ones left to watch is koyomonogatari and the movies. I didn't watch koyomimonogatari because it sounded like a lot of unrelated non important stories so i went straight into owarimonogatari, i'll be watching it today i think

i also made this gif, which is very important

Koyomimonogatari is the bridge between the two seasons of Owarimonogatari.

Kado 9

How do we even know that zaShunina hasn't already been
killing and cloning Shido whenever he disobeyed
up until this episode? Also, that's an easy solution to the "everyone loves Shido" harem right there as well.

Sianos

Serial Experiments Lain
I just really soured on this by the end. The text just felt completely impersonal and unbeholden to the ideas being pushed forward. And those ideas are just so remarkably flimsy and nonsensical that the philosophical posturing that sometimes takes place just feels like it doesn't stand on any ground. It's really unfortunate because many of the simpler concepts find effective visual motifs, but I don't know how much that means when there is no real substance to the work as a whole.

The pieces of this that tread more towards aggravation are really the paranormal elements, which feel like absurd hand waving for the show to avoid taking responsibility for the psychological elements that emerge early on in the story. The occult, conspiracy, extraterrestrial...these feel like cheap referential ploys attempting to elevate the mystique of the narrative. Their presence feels even more offensive with how dry their insertion into the story is. Elements of the horror genre take over other scenes, but these can feel excessively slow, unexciting, and derivative. With the goofy supernatural elements serving as the spine of the story the series struggles to push anything that might inspire fear.

My interpretation of the paranormal elements in the second half of Lain was that they did not actually exist. Yet despite not being physically tangible the ideas themselves had a psychological influence that was accelerated in direct proportion to communication speed enabled through the Wired.

I thought the reveal was that
there wasn't actually a conspiracy? Just one guy gone rogue and his former company aware of this and trying to take advantage, right? Knights of the Eastern Calculus we're like a proto-Anonymous, empowered by the Wired and their manipulation of it yet powerless without it and without actual direction.

I think I might rewatch it, perhaps my own philosophy colored my perception of the way events unfolded the first time I watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom