• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attack on Titan 36

AqRhDg3.jpg
WZ3IW3U.jpg

Good for Christa and Ymir to finally swap some spit in this episode

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I unironically want to watch ReCreators going by my twitter feed and what I've read on the concept.
It's okay...don't watch it for the concept though because none of the stuff about the creators and their relation to the characters being fictional makes a lick of sense, and they drone on about it endlessly.

Ascheroth

Re:Creators 10

Oh my. That was pretty great. I'll echo the thoughts that this should have happened much earlier and that Aliceteria stupidity feels slightly contrived though. But this was a really good clash regardless.
Matsubara makes a much better main character then Sota. That was a sick power-up (both conceptually and visually).
And Magane is too op, plz nerve.
Please don't.
Very interested in seeing things unfold.

Planetes 26 END

What happened?

Planetes is mostly a good series, but the resolution in these final two episodes left something to be desired, particularly as regards Hachimaki and Tanabe's fate. It feels like Okouchi wrote himself into a corner at the climax of the terrorist attack and just kind of waved his hands to a happy ending afterwards. Hachimaki's mystical revelation that "Space... is all of us" is not convincing, and ends up being a nonsensical method of resolving the tension between himself and Tanabe. I can't say Hachimaki marrying Tanabe right before running off to Jupiter for seven years sits well with me either. Tanabe's going to end up a battered wife if she's not careful.

blurr

It's okay...don't watch it for the concept though because none of the stuff about the creators and their relation to the characters being fictional makes a lick of sense, and they drone on about it endlessly.

O-okay...

Planetes 26 END

Planetes is mostly a good series, but the resolution in these final two episodes left something to be desired, particularly as regards Hachimaki and Tanabe's fate. It feels like Okouchi wrote himself into a corner at the climax of the terrorist attack and just kind of waved his hands to a happy ending afterwards. Hachimaki's mystical revelation that "Space... is all of us" is not convincing, and ends up being a nonsensical method of resolving the tension between himself and Tanabe. I can't say Hachimaki marrying Tanabe right before running off to Jupiter for seven years sits well with me either. Tanabe's going to end up a battered wife if she's not careful.

Ah I can see why you feel that way and I kind of agree.

Tiger Mask W 1-2

I have to remind myself that this isn't going to be some Shenmue serious revenge story but that instead it's a WWE anime including cheesy referees going "NO. NO. BACK IN YOUR CORNER. NO" lmao

Tiger Mask W 1-2

I have to remind myself that this isn't going to be some Shenmue serious revenge story but that instead it's a WWE anime including cheesy referees going "NO. NO. BACK IN YOUR CORNER. NO" lmao

Make sure to either skip episode 6, or at least get ready to turn off your brain to reduce the potential damage that episode will cause you.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records - Episode 10

Am I high or was this a good episode?

Never trust a person with a monocle, especially if they have been wearing one since they were little.

My Hero Academia Episode 24:

I remember feeling bad for Midoriya here when I read the manga because it really drove home how self-destructive his actions are up to now, no matter how well-intentioned he is. The anime captured that perfectly. I'm also glad the anime further showed the remaining matches, especially since quite a few took place off screen.

I've been watching the dub, and I love that Funimation casted Robert McCollum as Stain. He sounds really good so far.

Loona

I unironically want to watch ReCreators going by my twitter feed and what I've read on the concept.

It still does interesting things with the concept, some more visibly than others - I find it interesting how the actual most dangerous antagonist in the show is someone whose abilities rely entirely on lying, which kind of plays into the general theme of fiction.

Also, it might be spoilerish to mention it here, but checking Twitter I found the show set up an offline event to mark a specific incident in the show, gotta respect the effort.

phaze

AoT latest

A+ dialogue.

Burst out laughing at that conversation. Outside of just that bit, the entirety of it is just so hilariously contrived in order for Ymir to not reveal anything of actual substance about the outside world. It would take like two sentences to resolve Annie's misconceptions and you'd think with their lives/possible parting at stake Ymir would do that but noooooo ...

Kubikiri Cycle 06

Probably best episode after #2 but I can't say that I've been enlightened as to the identity of the culprit as the protagonists seem to have been. Teruko verbal lashing of Ii-chan was pretty great.

Tsukigareidownload LINE app now episode 8

My heart ;_;

Regarding the shorts, I'm really creeped out by the Sensei ones...
Its one thing for the student to have a crush on the teacher, but in reverse its really messed up and inappropriate, no matter how adorable the background music is
. :x

If they don't announce a season 3 for AoT after next week's episode I'm probably going to read the manga at last. For how much I do prefer the adaptation I won't wait years again. The anime production committees are simply the worst.

Take your wife out for a today and nearly get hit by a driver on the highway suffering from road rage. Fun fucking times.

If they don't announce a season 3 for AoT after next week's episode I'm probably going to read the manga at last. For how much I do prefer the adaptation I won't wait years again. The anime production committees are simply the worst.

The manga's art has gotten better at least. Picking it up from where the anime will leave off shouldn't be too jarring a switch.

Narag

My Hero Academia S2 11

Revelation about All Might was pretty good. I appreciate how Bakugo's natural intuition is coming to the forefront during his fights too. Stain looks like a Syndrome that didn't gorw up during the golden age of heroes but the Image era instead.

Jex

Planetes 26 END

Wait till you check out the manga ending...

Re:Creators Episode 10: This episode definitely felt like a mid-season finale. I believe these last few have been massive improvement over how the series started. Magane continues to be the best character in the show.

I did too.

I WAS 10 OKAY.

08th's romance was super fucking cheesy, but I take cheesy over that hot mess Stardust Memory gave us. :p

Narag

best part is the subs at the end doubling up the chorus thanks to it being both translation and romanization

KING OF THE WILD, KING OF THE WILD

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
My interpretation of the paranormal elements in the second half of Lain was that they did not actually exist. Yet despite not being physically tangible the ideas themselves had a psychological influence that was accelerated in direct proportion to communication speed enabled through the Wired.

I thought the reveal was that
there wasn't actually a conspiracy? Just one guy gone rogue and his former company aware of this and trying to take advantage, right? Knights of the Eastern Calculus we're like a proto-Anonymous, empowered by the Wired and their manipulation of it yet powerless without it and without actual direction.

I think I might rewatch it, perhaps my own philosophy colored my perception of the way events unfolded the first time I watched.
When I say paranormal elements it's not necessarily that they have a direct place in the story, but the conspiracy theory is a crucial piece of the plot that extends through every aspect of the series. The paranormal aesthetic and vibes are simply an extension of those concepts and ideas. Maybe there were small bits I misinterpreted but I got the impression that Lain herself was tied to conspiracy as a concept, and even the Knights were being manipulated by a higher power. To me the core threads in Lain all inevitably end in conspiracy because so much of what is going on is fake.
This includes Lain as a person, her family, her place in the world, the identity of the other characters and organizations. The only aspect that feels real is Arisu or Alice or whatever you want to call her, and her connection to things seems fairly loose, although the scene where she enters Lain's decrepit house is really the highlight of the second half of the show.

Maybe I would feel about the show in a different way if its take on technology felt like they held up beyond the imagery of Lain being absorbed into the world of technology with screen reflections and the transformation of her room. That stuff feels sort of robbed of its power because of Lain's ultimate identity. There's also heavy religious implications that could be used to interpret the story, but like most Japanese pop culture they really don't have a strong grasp on what Christianity really encompasses and means on a deeper level. It felt almost impossible to read into the text on that level for me. In general the philosophical slants and ideas pushed forward just feel insubstantial, outdated, and kind of ridiculous. Lain's blunt rejection of them is sort of satisfying but she's not really the kind of character to communicate a strong message to really solidify a strong perspective on the themes of the show. So you wind up without any real debate or deep musings around the topics the show presents. The psychological and philosophical layers of Lain should feel more substantial, but these kind of faults and the heavy lean on conspiracy/paranormal as the roots of the show just had everything come up short for me.

Re:Creators Episode 10

Wow anime is definitely the best of the season especially when they managed to finally rework Selesia epic update into the plot and the OST with it, perfect.

Alisteria perhaps needs to die or quickly have a change of heart, why are all femKnights so dull (

Mecha x Factor Mimic Mecha courtesy of best military uniform princess was the best, more please.

Why cant actual IRL LN chara collab animes be made.

Jintor

Planetes 26 END

weird. i literally had something like what i imagine a spiritual revelation feels like at the last episode of planetes at that sequence

of course, i was also probably about 16 when i first saw it

All the anime original characters in Planetes were terrible and rewriting Tanabe's character was maybe the worst aspect of the anime adaptation. Show still has some great episodes and I think a strong first half but everything past that is such a step down compared to the manga.

phaze

Outside of many other things, I really disliked how Planetes went full Evangelion with shitstains's (Hachimaki's) inner troubles. Not every show needs goddamn tulpas and full blown dream sequences to portray its characters inner conflicts and certainly not shows that seemed like they were going for a more grounded take on things.

I remember people really hating the first moon/space ninja episode but I actually really like it because if I were in the moon you know I'd be just as goofy pretending to have superpowers.

It was goofy but pretty enjoyable.

Though the best moon related episode was the one with the old astronaut and the girl who was born on moon because it connected aspects of space traveling with character drama in such a great way.

Narag

Attack on Titan S2 11

I can't believe they ended thee episode on that note. lol @ Erwin and Mikasa both being harder than the Armored Titan too.

Beyond the pacing issues that plagued both, I think a big reason this and MHA S2 are so much better this time around is far better cast management. MHA's overlarge S1 cast felt like a bunch of strangers to me with them only becoming truly familiar once the Sports Festival thing started. And while I'll admit I wasn't watching this part too closely in the first season, the supporting cast of Attack on Titan being given an appreciable level of pathos has done wonders for the show at large when it initially felt like it was just going to be the Eren/Mikasa/Armin show.

Planetes became rather disappointing towards the end. Whereas Hachi got an increasingly strong vigor for space exploration and set himself lots of goals—becoming an asshole among those—while Tanabe kinda just lost agency. Wasn't too fond of the space terrorist plot itself either and the show doubled down on the drama when they showed us Tanabe suffocating on the moon, with a cliffhanger I think, before then of course being miracle-rescued anyhow. Then, for some nonsensical reason, no one really told Hachi about any of that for a long time because miscommunication is everyone's favorite drama vehicle? At last they ended up together anyways, though I can't recall how, and he's just off to space leaving a pregnant Tanabe back home as housewife. Meh...

JCG

I think Nick Creamer's views on Planetes are interesting to read and arguably provide valid counterpoints or at least alternate interpretations with respect to several of the issues mentioned above.

Wait till you check out the manga ending...

I believe the manga still has Hachi going off to Jupiter by himself, without Tanabe, but it continues with another volume or two of mostly unrelated events around Fee. Who was already pretty cool in the anime, but it's great that the manga gives her more stuff to do.

All the anime original characters in Planetes were terrible and rewriting Tanabe's character was maybe the worst aspect of the anime adaptation. Show still has some great episodes and I think a strong first half but everything past that is such a step down compared to the manga.

I'd strongly disagree. Off the top of my head...Claire, Gigalt and the El Tanikan scientist were all pretty good anime-only characters.

I could admittedly go either way about Tanabe's depiction, frankly, but I think the anime pays more attention to her relationship with Hachimaki and there are some worthwhile emotional moments involving her too.

Finally, I thought the addition of a political dimension to the anime that is essentially ignored in the manga as well as the more nuanced technological depictions contribute to making the TV show quite solid in its own right. I get that some folks don't like the terrorist angle, for whatever reason, but for me that's an ugly side of reality which wouldn't be absent from man's continued exploration of space.

PS: I wasn't a big fan of the moon ninja episode at first, but now I enjoy it both due to its own inherent campiness as well as how they referenced it in a more serious manner during the second half of Planetes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom