• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something I've never thought of before, but are there professional anime critics in Japan? Like, in the same vein as Ebert and Siskel? It would be interesting to see how their opinions differed from what little critics anime has in the West (ANN and Otaku USA, I guess?).

Imaishi's first TV series was Gurren Lagann.

I'm confused. I thought you were talking about Yo Yoshinari based on your post.

Edit: Also if your point is, Imaishi did this, so can Yoshinari, I still don't think there's anything wrong with him deciding to take it easy and ease himself into the job of director.

Mother of god, I just checked the Toonami thread and that thing moved like 30 pages in half a day. Is everything airing on a specific day or how the hell is the traffic that high.

Busaiku

What the heck was up with Rurouni Kenshin New Kyoto Arc.
The show was too rushed, but I decided to watch it English, and that was probably the worst thing I'd heard since like Chaos Wars. Like how do you screw something up that badly.

petran79

Banned
It's amazing how relevant Ergo Proxy continues to be. Maybe just because it deals with themes that will always be relevant: the continuing growth of power in modern government, the rights to freedom and creativity, class warfare, etc. Unless it takes a dive somewhere, I think I'll find myself surprised at the amount of attention it doesn't get. It feels like a huge shame that manglobe stopped working on original anime towards the end. Not that the whole industry didn't stop as well though.

Edit: Maybe "continues to be" isn't the right phrase. Probably just "is" would have worked.

Did a mini marathon and watched two other relevant shows, Gasaraki and Flag.

Especially the former had such good writing, reminding me of Patlabor 2. Episode 20 (script C.Konaka) was perhaps the best and most tense of the whole series. But in contrast to Patlabor or GITS SAC, Gasaraki had also a unique artistic quality,adding Noh Theater segments and music.

Flag, one year later than Ergo Proxy,is also relevant,especially when it comes to war journalism and I liked the directing approach.Documentary clips and photos,without presenting characters devoid of their humanity.

No series tried a similar approach ever since. As if anime TV series turned brain dead.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm confused. I thought you were talking about Yo Yoshinari based on your post.

Edit: Also if your point is, Imaishi did this, so can Yoshinari, I still don't think there's anything wrong with him deciding to take it easy and ease himself into the job of director.
Well my point is that I don't feel that it's necessary to 'ease' yourself into the job. Most of the great directors in anime pretty much came out full throttle. I can't imagine any of them saying they only half-assed it. Usually they might take an assistant director position or something like that if they wanted to slowly adjust to the role. There's a difference saying they couldn't put their max effort or skill in due to production issues and another essentially bragging that this doesn't reflect your peak capabilities and that you weren't even aiming for it.

Jex

Well my point is that I don't feel that it's necessary to 'ease' yourself into the job. Most of the great directors in anime pretty much came out full throttle. I can't imagine any of them saying they only half-assed it. Usually they might take an assistant director position or something like that if they wanted to slowly adjust to the role. There's a difference saying they couldn't put their max effort or skill in due to production issues and another essentially bragging that this doesn't reflect your peak capabilities and that you weren't even aiming for it.

Not that I want to advocate unhealthy work practices, but in general most of the production stories I've read about great works seem to involve the directors, and key staff, truly giving their all.

It's pretty funny to hear a director make that comment, because it feels like a show at about 60% of Trigger's best effort.

Not that I want to advocate unhealthy work practices, but in general most of the production stories I've read about great works seem to involve the directors, and key staff, truly giving their all.

It's pretty funny to hear a director make that comment, because it feels like a show at about 60% of Trigger's best effort.

What do you think would be an example of Trigger's best effort?

Jex

What do you think would be an example of Trigger's best effort?

Unfortunately I don't think my answers to that question are very interesting.

If we're talking about a single piece that represents their production talents, it would probably still be the original LWA short.

If it's a TV series, I'd have to say that I was pretty happy with the overall level of quality found in Kiznaiver, especially with regards to it's character animation and lighting (obviously two very different artistic disciplines, yet nevertheless a combination that produced a very distinct piece of visual media).

There's so many obvious (and occasional prolonged) lulls in the quality of the LWA TV anime production (in terms of the scripts, animation and direction of certain episodes) that I have to wonder what was going on behind the scenes.

Again, I feel like I keep having to point out that the original Little Witch Academia is the work which made their name and brought them widespread Western attention (helped out hugely by it's availability on youtube). The fact that an extended TV series which is based on this key franchise wasn't treated like a key, 100% effort production, is truly bizarre. This should be a mass market show (I mean, it's going to be on Netflix!) that represents their brand to the world so I'd expect no effort or expense spared to make it into a stunning work.

Unfortunately I don't think my answers to that question are very interesting.

If we're talking about a single piece that represents their production talents, it would probably still be the original LWA short.

If it's a TV series, I'd have to say that I was pretty happy with the overall level of quality found in Kiznaiver, especially with regards to it's character animation and lighting (obviously two very different artistic disciplines, yet nevertheless a combination that produced a very distinct piece of visual media).

That sounds about right. I'm not personally fond of the original LWA short, but there's no question that it has lavish production values. Of course, there's a difference between producing one half-hour short and 25 weekly episodes. I love Kiznaiver, but then I have highly regard for Hiroshi Kobayashi as a director than the core Trigger crew of Imaishi, Amemiya, or Yoshinari.

There's so many obvious (and occasional prolonged) lulls in the quality of the LWA TV anime production (in terms of the scripts, animation and direction of certain episodes) that I have to wonder what was going on behind the scenes.

Again, I feel like I keep having to point out that the original Little Witch Academia is the work which made their name and brought them widespread Western attention (helped out hugely by it's availability on youtube). The fact that an extended TV series which is based on this key franchise wasn't treated like a key, 100% effort production, is truly bizarre. This should be a mass market show (I mean, it's going to be on Netflix!) that represents their brand to the world so I'd expect no effort or expense spared to make it into a stunning work.

To put Yoshinari's remark in context, it's worth pointing out that in searching for reports of Trigger's AnimeNEXT panel I came across this remark by Shuhei Handa (the character designer for LWA TV) that "Yoshinari's 60% is our 120%." So even if Yoshinari didn't feel like he was giving his all, it sounds like the rest of the studio was struggling to keep up with him.

Jarmel

Banned
Yoshinari was kind of cavalier in regards to the production. Obviously some of it was joking but it was also somewhat serious. Yoshinari said that LWA TV's production was him at about 60% and that he felt the studio going all out pretty much all the time would kill the studio so they needed works like these to break up the more intensive Imaishi projects. Handa replied back that Yoshinari's 60% was their 120% to which Yoshinari said if this wasn't their 60% then they need to get better. Also that any scenes that look bad are to be blamed on the younger animators (lol).

Some of it rubbed me the wrong way frankly as it's both cocky and also feels like he's neglecting his role as director a bit.

Yoshinari was kind of cavalier in regards to the production. Obviously some of it was joking but it was also somewhat serious. Yoshinari said that LWA TV's production was him at about 60% and that he felt the studio going all out pretty much all the time would kill the studio so they needed works like these to break up the more intensive Imaishi projects. Handa replied back that Yoshinari's 60% was their 120% to which Yoshinari said if this wasn't their 60% then they need to get better. Also that any scenes that look bad are to be blamed on the younger animators (lol).

Some of it rubbed me the wrong way frankly as it's both cocky and also feels like he's neglecting his role as director a bit.

I'll give you that this joke comes off in poor taste, but the rest just sounds like co-workers/ friends razing each other, playing around. I do think he's right you can't be pushing yourself at 100% all the time otherwise you'll burn yourselves out. As idealistic as it is that creators be pushing themselves to the max to create the best content, it's hardly realistic.

Jex

Doesn't sound like they've got any understanding of Japanese PR speak. Maybe they should call up Square.

I want a Death Parade season 2. When?

Probably never. We know Yuzuru Tachikawa is working on an original anime project, but that's unlikely to be a second season of Death Parade.

Inferno Cop obviously.

Thus the season 2 announcement.

I've gotten a similar impression of Yoshinari from things such as the LWA making-of documentary - he seems to be very hard on young animators - which is the main reason I wasn't fond of your interpretation of LWA as a metaphorical commentary on old animators sucking the life out of young animators. Unless it's supposed to be some self-confessional for Yoshinari.

I've gotten a similar impression of Yoshinari from things such as the LWA making-of documentary - he seems to be very hard on young animators - which is the main reason I wasn't fond of your interpretation of LWA as a metaphorical commentary on old animators sucking the life out of young animators. Unless it's supposed to be some self-confessional for Yoshinari.

That about LWA TV? I'll have to keep that in mind when I finally watch it in a few weeks to see whether I see that in it or not.

Loona

Re:Creators Episode 10
Why cant actual IRL LN chara collab animes be made.

Maybe if we're lucky someday there'll be a Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax anime that's secretly Hi sCool SeHa Girls season 2.

Something I've never thought of before, but are there professional anime critics in Japan? Like, in the same vein as Ebert and Siskel? It would be interesting to see how their opinions differed from what little critics anime has in the West (ANN and Otaku USA, I guess?).

Between news sties, 2ch, personal blogs and Twitter perhaps they have it mostly covered?...

phaze

Virgin Soul 10

Jesus-chan
sure had it rough. Pretty zzzzz flashback overall.

Granblue Fantasy 11

I watched eleven episodes of this show to see certain character joining the party only for Rosette to go her own way. FML.

Also, dropped.

Jarmel

Banned
I can understand being hard on younger animators if you're a perfectionist but if you're not even pushing your own limits...

I just finished Proxy. When I wrote my last post I was about episode 12. Now that I've finished the series, I have to take back most of my feelings on it. The themes and ideas of the first quarter of the series - the growth of an oppressive government, the desire to be free as a person, the vague and not so vague religious undertones, class warfare - not one of them is properly realized in any way throughout the story. What began as a dark sci-fi thriller moving at a brisk pace eventually dissolved into nonsensical episodes showcasing the Willy Wonka side of the Proxies without meaningfully progressing the story. Episodes start to feel like they were missing two or three minutes - to the point where I'm wondering if they really were? Is Crunchyroll's upload of the series intact? Ultimately, all of the promises and insinuation the show makes at its beginning end up unfulfilled. There is very little substance beneath the surface.

Man, nurse chan sure turned around quickly from liking tiger mask to wanting
tiger the dark
Apparently a few weeks of intensive therapy Trumps everything else. Oh well, I guess at least tiger mask still has his loyal manager chan waifu.

blurr

Wonder Woman

Sets up WW's character pretty well, enough to like her a lot. I wish some things were thought out better than how they were, especially the villains.

/XX/

The Eccentric Family S2 E10

Yep, I still think this season is a bit inferior to the first one. It has some weird ellipsis some times with scene transitions being abrupt, it does cliffhangers that peter out in the next episode (like here), and again we have here a scene scaling in danger for the climax of the season that seems really a rehash of the first season.
Oh noes they were captured and are going to be eaten by the Friday's club! (no, they won't).
And they were captured with a fair bit of plot contrivance. Yasaburo is almost never in his tanuki form, but it happens that we just discovered his very rare 'tanuki weakness' in the past episode and now Kaisei, who never shows on person to not bother him, appears physically, triggering the transformation. And of course with Kyoto being so big, Tenmaya discover and captures precisely them. Not only he is in the right place, he also is in the right time, timing wise.

2 Eccentric 2 Family 10

Man this show has been loving these cliffhanger climaxes recently. Are we sure this isn't being directed by Attack on Titan dude? I mean yeah, if I didn't know TV better or if this was a show not afraid to
kill main and big side characters
easily I'd be more afraid. But it won't. I expect that either
they escape thanks to the professor's help, or Benten who has always said she will regret having to eat him ultimately doesn't eat him because not even she is THAT evil

Eccentric Family S2 10

Whoa whoa whoa. So, stepping back from the big cliffhanger at the end, that other twist this episode hinted at seems pretty big.
Yajiro meets a several tanuki who are surprised that Kureichiro returned to Kyoto, including one dresses exactly like him. Then Kaisei mentions that Kureichiro is acting different from how she remembers. So...is the one in Kyoto a fake?

Next week can't come fast enough.

Eccentric Family S2 10

Whoa whoa whoa. So, stepping back from the big cliffhanger at the end, that other twist this episode hinted at seems pretty big.
Yajiro meets a several tanuki who are surprised that Kureichiro returned to Kyoto, including one dresses exactly like him. Then Kaisei mentions that Kureichiro is acting different from how she remembers. So...is the one in Kyoto a fake?

Next week can't come fast enough.

yeah that seems like a fairly big hint that something is amiss as well.
I just hope it's not a twist like he's actually the father and that the father that got killed was a fake. But then again if it's just a character we haven't met at all so far, it would lose its impact

Nichijou - Completed: My experience watching this was really similar to back when I watched Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. I thought the animation was gorgeous, and while not every segment was a home run, I still thought it was a really charming experience. My favorite segment of the show was the main trio's run of bad luck when they find themselves caught in the rain and accidentally destroy a temple.

Oniisama in HQ.
Ze6e8XR7.jpg

Sciel

Re:Creators 10

Other than one smh moment (does everyone need to be downgraded to idiot level when up against Magane?), this was a pretty good episode.

Re:Creators 10

Other than one smh moment (does everyone need to be downgraded to idiot level when up against Magane?), this was a pretty good episode.
I think Re:Creators is indeed a dumb show, and it doesn't really try to hide it. Heck the concept itself is bollocks. But these past 2 or 3 episodes may as well have been the start of the actual show, because all we had every week was the nerdy girl talk non-stop about things that could easily have been explained in 10 secs.

Hopefully from here on out the show continues being what we have been getting these past few weeks.

Eccentric Family S2 - 10

Hmm yeh, don't do cliffhangers when you don't deliver.

So we get some twist and I wonder if it's one that has been properly foreshadowed, other than those suspiciously red-outlined eyes, or if it's mostly some plot-vehicle to inject some tension into the finale.

While I'm a bit disappointed about the plot repeat from the first season but honestly, this time around I actually care about it some as everything's much better established now.

Nichijou - Completed: My experience watching this was really similar to back when I watched Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. I thought the animation was gorgeous, and while not every segment was a home run, I still thought it was a really charming experience. My favorite segment of the show was the main trio's run of bad luck when they find themselves caught in the rain and accidentally destroy a temple.

It is one of the best, for sure.
Those expressions alone...

phaze

Eccentric Family 10

Last week cliffhanger was utterly pointless huh.

Shakugan no Shana 01-03

You know what, this was actually a bad idea. Dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom