• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aki-at

Virgin Soul - 10

Why would soldiers so easily forget how useful Jeanne was a few years back? I'd also assume she was physically strong, not just spiritually.

Re:Creators - 10

Magane is awesome but when you know her super power is talking why would keep talking to her? Aliceteria is a massive idiot too.

Twitter saves the day but yo let's be honest, over 3000 retweets in less than a second, that's a damn lie!

Nichijou Episode 17 - Okay, that House of Cards segment felt like something straight out of Tiny Toons Adventure/Animaniacs. Just the way that there was no dialogue at all and the comedic timing was done exclusively through the score.

Might have been a bit too hard on today's AoT episode. Outside of some of the poor horse-chasing shots there's quite a lot nice animation to be found, for example for the close-up shots of characters we get during all the dialogue. Dunno, I go in with his expectations (and hopes) and since I appreciate some nice, consistent baseline quality some of those shots at the beginning really rubbed me the wrong way. I'll certainly look forward the bluray changes. I even wonder if they further touch up the Colossal Titan on episode 31-32. But compared to some of that horse riding he looked downright gorgeous.

Wait till you check out the manga ending...

I want to check out the manga sometime, because I'm aware that it goes in a different direction and am curious about where it ends up.

weird. i literally had something like what i imagine a spiritual revelation feels like at the last episode of planetes at that sequence

of course, i was also probably about 16 when i first saw it

I can imagine that the scene works better for someone with pantheistic leanings, since that kind of philosophy is what's being espoused here in a particularly vague form. As for me, the concept of "Space is the bonds of love connecting all people" is not one I can sympathize with or even make sense of. In context it comes across as a shallow way to bandaid over the rift between Hachimaki and Tanabe that had been rubbed raw. At the end of episode 24, Tanabe has the realization that "Hachimaki doesn't love me; he loves space!" The way episode 25 gets around this isn't for Hachimaki to say, "I've come to realize that I love you too," but "I've come to realize that space is you and so when I love space I am actually loving you - so it's OK if I marry you and then immediately abandon you for a seven-year space expedition during which we won't be able to stay in contact." That's not an excuse I can buy. I'm rather annoyed that the end of episode 24, in which Tanabe's idealism was pushed to its breaking point, wasn't really dealt with in any meaningful fashion but just handwaved away - just as
it's handwaved away that Hakim somehow makes it safely off the Von Braun a second time after committing terrorism on it while somehow not being caught. Is he magic?

In the end, the happy ending Planetes reaches feels artificial rather than earned.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
TeHlJiI.jpg
..... watching demon waifus?

JCG

In the end, the happy ending Planetes reaches feels artificial rather than earned.

There would be various ways to argue the opposite, narratively or thematically speaking, if there was any real need for a debate here...yet I realize this sort of stuff (what is earned or not, natural or artificial, etc) tends to end up, more often than not, relying on personal aesthetic taste and where each individual viewer sits on the romanticism/idealism vs. cynicism/skepticism scale, rather than being a matter of fixed standards or universally true logic.

Similarly, I had no trouble with the "handwaving" you've referenced. Knowing the details would have added very little to the story at that point and, more importantly,
this led to a nice scene between Hakim and Nono on the moon. Ideally, you could both explain Hakim's escape and still have that, but in practice the available running time is restricted and the staff has to make decisions, right or wrong, about what to focus on.

Bahamut: Virgin Soul 9-10

So is Mugaro basically
Jesus
?

Finally got a lot of backstory. Jeanne's especially was sad :(

Charioce seems like an amazing villain. I'm really curious to see how he came to be who he is today. Next episode should be lit. This is another show thats been knocking it out of the park since episode 1.

There would be various ways to argue the opposite, narratively or thematically speaking, if there was any real need for a debate here...yet I realize this sort of stuff (what is earned or not, natural or artificial, etc) tends to end up, more often than not, relying on personal aesthetic taste and where each individual viewer sits on the romanticism/idealism vs. cynicism/skepticism scale, rather than being a matter of fixed standards or universally true logic.

Similarly, I had no trouble with the "handwaving" you've referenced. Knowing the details would have added very little to the story at that point and, more importantly,
this led to a nice scene between Hakim and Nono on the moon. Ideally, you could both explain Hakim's escape and still have that, but in practice the available running time is restricted and the staff has to make decisions, right or wrong, about what to focus on.

See, that scene on the moon felt weird to me; I wasn't exactly sure what message it was trying to get across about the first-world vs. third-world dilemma that had been a core subject for the show.

But the main reason why Hakim's fate bugs me is that Planetes had established itself as an attempt at a mostly plausible near-future look at space development with extrapolations of contemporaneous technology and characters who were mostly grounded in the real world, despite some indulgence in comedic eccentricities at times. It put in a lot of time and effort in showing the logistics of how the Space Defense Front were able to pull off their plan. In light of that,
having Hakim escape twice from the same ship in some unexplained manner, at a time when security would supposedly have clamped down
feels out of character for the world Planetes has established. It's not a major thing in itself - the resolution of Hachimaki and Tanabe's character arc bothers me more - but it creates a nagging inconsistency in a mostly believable show.

Anyway, I know you're the Taniguchi Guy, so I'm not expecting to change your mind or anything. If it makes you feel better, I have very few reservations about ID-0 up through the most recent episode!

Jarmel

Banned
Well the Trigger panels were interesting even though I mostly missed the later one. Yoshinari outright admitted that he wasn't pushing himself to the limit with LWA TV and that it was about 60% of his max. That's a little surprising for a debut director to openly admit that.

Also sounds like there's going to be more LWA after the TV series but they didn't confirm anything.

Well the Trigger panels were interesting even though I mostly missed the later one. Yoshinari outright admitted that he wasn't pushing himself to the limit with LWA TV and that it was about 60% of his max. That's a little surprising for a debut director to openly admit that.

That's a very anime way to describe anime production

Also sounds like there's going to be more LWA after the TV series but they didn't confirm anything.

Well, if he is new he might've still been learning the ropes, testing the ground. Don't want to go balls to the wall hard on yourself when you're easing into things. It'd be like writing a full novel for the first time, but purposefully attempting to break new ground at every turn with your characters and story. Running before walking and all that.

Dragon Ball Super 94

DCALrEtUQAEXxG5.jpg
DCALsGAVwAAOEQd.jpg

WHICH ONE IS IT FREEZER?

I don't get it. You could just...break the promise with Freezy Pop and not resurrect him. There's nothing dishonorable about tricking FRIIZA.

At least have Whis or Beerus get rid of him after. Cmon.

Oh, come on! I called that twist ages ago!
Back at the end of episode three when we learn that a creator designing a new power/aspect of a creation was not enough to change them, my very first thought was that they probably could succeed if those changes were made public so it changed the collective perception of the creations themselves. They never try that, though, and have saved confirming that theory for now, only halfway through?
This feels like a missed opportunity to do something more interesting earlier, but instead we waited for episode upon episode of stage-setting exposition only for this to be confirmed far later than it should've been. I am disappointed.

AoT - 36

So yeah guys, AoT 2 is the real deal. It's kinda surreal just how good this show is this season in comparison to the first season. Gonna miss this show.

Jarmel

Banned
Well, if he is new he might've still been learning the ropes, testing the ground. Don't want to go balls to the wall hard on yourself when you're easing into things. It'd be like writing a full novel for the first time, but purposefully attempting to break new ground at every turn with your characters and story. Running before walking and all that.
Imaishi's first TV series was Gurren Lagann.

Aki-at

Tiger Mask W - 35

That double drop kick was beautiful. Pure poetry, I had tears in my eyes.

I never thought this would be my anime of the season but here we are.

AoT latest chapter.
Damn, just don't, never mess with Mikasa's guy cause she will go beyond Yandere. Those eyes. Also, what a fantastic episode. Time went by fast watching this, the animation was amazing besides the intro horse scene.

And the seasons gonna end basically where I said it would 4 years ago lol. Which is a great stopping point.

Fantastic season so far, better than 1.

Also MHA is great as well, got to see Stain.

Re:Creators - 10

So last week's episode was pretty decent. This week's was pretty good as well. I think finally after getting all that exposition out of the way, the show is finally beginning to pump out actual content that is entertaining to watch. The fights were cool, and a bunch of questions have now popped up from the events that took place this week.

Flowers of Evil 10 (Rewatch)

You know, I'm not sure I've seen any other anime episode which puts all the credits up front, both those that would normally go in the OP and those that would normally go in the ED, so that the final moments of the episode can go unencumbered by text except for the very final shot. This really is a masterpiece.

sonicmj1

Re:Creators 10

This show's really dumb (I like to imagine what everyone else must have been doing while that power-up moment played itself out over the course of... minutes?), but at least the breaks are off the train at this point. Characters are going all out, pushing the limits of reality, making big changes, and all that. You'd think the public would actually take notice of this stuff by now.

If we don't get a moment like the start of the finale of Elite Beat Agents in this show before it's done, something is wrong.

DNAbro

The Boy and the Beast

Randomly decided to watch this tonight and that was incredibly enjoyable. I really enjoyed Ren/Kyuuta and Kumatetsu's relationship throughout the movie and how they made each better. Ren was probably my fav character, there is something about super earnest characters that I like. Animation was pretty decent, nothing really to write home about. Fight scenes were good, humor was good, characters were good. Not a life changing movie obviously but just overall a really fun watch.

Narag

Tiger Mask W 17

Tiger Mask then: R E V E N G E
Tiger Mask now: I want some cake

wtf happened. how would he even eat cake with the mask on

blurr

Kado: The Right Answer 09

God, it really took a me a while to process all that happened but this was actually good until
the very end when zaShunina attempts to clone Shindo and Saraka is revealed as an anisotropic being,
the latter is something I don't mind as much but I can see how it might not sit well with others...

It's amazing how relevant Ergo Proxy continues to be. Maybe just because it deals with themes that will always be relevant: the continuing growth of power in modern government, the rights to freedom and creativity, class warfare, etc. Unless it takes a dive somewhere, I think I'll find myself surprised at the amount of attention it doesn't get. It feels like a huge shame that manglobe stopped working on original anime towards the end. Not that the whole industry didn't stop as well though.

Edit: Maybe "continues to be" isn't the right phrase. Probably just "is" would have worked.

So that new Kingdom Hearts trailer.

Who is excited to play it before 2020 guys?

We will find out that they turned the game into a class-based shooter at E3.

It's amazing how relevant Ergo Proxy continues to be. Maybe just because it deals with themes that will always be relevant: the continuing growth of power in modern government, the rights to freedom and creativity, class warfare, etc. Unless it takes a dive somewhere, I think I'll find myself surprised at the amount of attention it doesn't get. It feels like a huge shame that manglobe stopped working on original anime towards the end. Not that the whole industry didn't stop as well though.

Manglobe's penultimate production before going bankrupt was an original anime (Samurai Flamenco).

Very surprising considering Aniplex has typically had their stuff on Netflix.

Yeah, it was especially weird considering Netflix is getting the newest stuff like the Fate that will be out soon.

I'm hoping one of the two will eventually get Baccano again. I'd love to do another binge of it legally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom