• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
GIVE ME STRIKE FOR FREE YOU FUCKS I'M A FUCKING PRIME MEMBER I PAY MY DUES

BeyBlade Brust Episode 23
C8nalD7XgAAt9rD.jpg:small

Daigo-only episode. I loved following him through his day and the cat was cute. The dark moments though..epic battle but the consequences. I felt emotions when he was bitterly eating the victory sandwich :( Please dont become evil.

To be honest, there's not that many shows I wanted to check out this season, but I did want to see how Virgin Soul turns out.

Sadly anime strike existing makes that difficult.

edit

I've honestly mellowed out over the past few days on Amazon's pricing model. Not personally a fan but it also isn't anything different than what Amazon has done in the past. They've always charged for "premium channels" like HBO, Showtime, etc. and Anime Licensing ain't exactly cheap. If Amazon can step up their game and increase their backlog, I may relent and sub.

To be honest, there's not that many shows I wanted to check out this season, but I did want to see how Virgin Soul turns out.

Sadly anime strike existing makes that difficult.

Yeah I'm using this season to catch up on my backlog. Outside of MHA and AOT2, Sakura Quest is probably the only other show I'm kind of interested in this season.

Quasar

I think one thing is for sure though. Within another year or two, at most, the huge stranglehold CR had on being the "one stop" for anime streaming will probably be completely gone. People better get used to having multiple accounts, or watching less shows.... legally.

Which I'm certainly not against. And its not such an issue when the competitors are places people sub for anyway to get their non anime such as netflix and amazon. Well Netflix is a problem because of their non simulcast policy outside japan.

duckroll

Which I'm certainly not against. And its not such an issue when the competitors are places people sub for anyway to get their non anime such as netflix and amazon. Well Netflix is a problem because of their non simulcast policy outside japan.

I would actually rather see Netflix get more successful at anime production and change part of the game completely by producing more premium shows which don't broadcast at all. Allowing studios to finish producing an entire series before it is ever released would be a positive step forward. Broadcast is an outdated concept and has only hurt anime schedules in the past.

I think one thing is for sure though. Within another year or two, at most, the huge stranglehold CR had on being the "one stop" for anime streaming will probably be completely gone. People better get used to having multiple accounts, or watching less shows.... legally.

Isn't this basically how it is right now?

Quasar

I would actually rather see Netflix get more successful at anime production and change part of the game completely by producing more premium shows which don't broadcast at all. Allowing studios to finish producing an entire series before it is ever released would be a positive step forward. Broadcast is an outdated concept and has only hurt anime schedules in the past.

Though I loath Netflixes practice of dumping whole seasons. I much prefer week to week viewing. So I'd rather them follow HBO or Amazon. But yeah giving creators time to make whole seasons first would be good. I actually thought long term deals like the noitamina one would help in that regard.

It would be great for anime studios not to have to sweat under broadcast deadlines, especially now that TV is increasingly insignificant as a delivery medium. The anime industry's reaction to that currently seems to be increasing movie production, but perhaps Netflix-style online series will happen as well if something like Devilman Crybaby proves successful.

duckroll

Isn't this basically how it is right now?

Only for current stuff as the dynamics shift. If you want to "watch a ton of anime" your best bet is still CR because of their huge legacy library. I'm actually expecting that to change in a year or two, as the competing libraries get bigger, and CR's legacy library gets smaller when licenses move or expire.

Persona 5 - First 4hrs
Great albeit slow start which is to be expected out of a 100hr game. Gotta say though, shit hits the fan relatively quicker than Persona 3 or 4. Also gotta say I have been impressed by some of the happenings and how they are depicted. Game is a lot darker than I expected. Still very much anime, but it strikes a good balance. This won't be a Scooby-Doo tale like Persona 4 was, the tone seems more in line with Persona 3, taking the somber and depressing up a notch, but with good dungeon design.

Clov

That partnership just got worst if that's the case. Cause if they get more shows and still make almost no dubs...yuck.

I think you have it backwards. Amazon isn't giving shows to Sentai; Sentai is putting shoes on Amazon. They're taking no more or less than they usually would. If anything, they're still licensing less than they were a few years ago; I think in one season in 2014 they picked up around 14 titles or something ridiculous like that.

Ascheroth

The light novel readers told me this was the case. It hasn't been addressed in the anime yet.

...........Why?
Though I haven't come across this in the manga yet, so maybe it and the anime have the decency to just not address this at all.
But then I'm also like 10 chapters behind so who knows.

KraytarJ

This season is probably just going to be Persona and backlog at this point. Coming in I saw some sequels I wasn't terribly jazzed for and a group of seemingly uninteresting new stuff, like even less so than last season where only 2 new shows really stood out.

Mushishi Zoku Sho S2 10

The gentle dream-like atmosphere that certain episodes of Mushishi soak in is very appealing to me. The flashes of memories from the centuries-old tree featured here brought that to the fore. An excellent use of montage and ambiguous passage of time.

i like the good ones! i doubt id complain about mushishi

I would think so!

zulux21

I think you have it backwards. Amazon isn't giving shows to Sentai; Sentai is putting shoes on Amazon. They're taking no more or less than they usually would. If anything, they're still licensing less than they were a few years ago; I think in one season in 2014 they picked up around 14 titles or something ridiculous like that.

I think it's mostly a case of both MHA and attack on titan airing this season which has made funimation burn most of their budget on licensing those that freed up a lot of other shows for sentai to pick up this season to make a splash with amazon.

we will see how things turn out, but with crunchy having their parent company pouring money into VRV this might just be a perfect storm for amazon to really get strike going and see how many people they can get to sign up.

if a lot sign up for this season then you can imagine them pouring even more money into anime.

I just wish it was included as part of prime... it would make it easier to enjoy.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
https://enquete.nicovideo.jp/result/78?from=box

NicoNico's top 10 Winter/Spring anime of 2017, a poll with 43,171 people participating.

>Q1: Of the anime that aired on TV during 2017 January - March, which did you enjoy the most?
1. Kemono Friends- 40.79%
2. KonoSuba S2- 10.00%
3. Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon- 8.43%
4. Youjo Senki- 6.95%
5. Gabriel Dropout- 3.02%
6. ACCA: 13ku-kansatsuka- 2.15%
7. Demi-chan wa Kataritai- 1.80%
8. Little Witch Academia- 1.78%
9. Ai Mai Mi S3- 1.59%
10. Gintama.- 1.54%

>Q2: Of the anime scheduled to start in April on TV, which do you look forward to the most?
1. Shingeki no Kyojin S2- 11.79%
2. Idol Master Cinderella Girls Gekijyou- 10.24%
3. Natsume Yujincho S6- 5.82%
4. Uchouten Kazoku 2- 5.11%
5. Ero-manga Sensei- 4.10%
5. Yuu-Gi-Ou VRAINS- 4.10%
7. Boku no Hero Academia S2- 3.83%
7. Warau Salesman NEW- 3.83%
9. SaeKano - 3.63%
10. Flame Arms Girl- 3.49%

Narag

Boruto 1

Who knows if I 'll watch this much but figured I'd take a peep. Don't really care what was going on storywise but it was neat seeing how the village had changed. It was like driving through some place you visited ten years ago and noting that while it's the same place you once visited, it's changed considerably.

Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records - Ep. 1
Light novel trash.

Pretty much, I will say this for it though the show seems way less keen to impress how super cool and awesome the MC is than the few issues of the manga adaptation I read were. I'm pretty sure even the first issue of the manga was dropping giant hints just in case you might have thought there was anything interesting about him.

The Royal Tutor - Ep 1
Well this is some formulaic shoujo but I like the MC thus far and the chibi-fied stuff isn't annoying me too much, will give it another episode or two to see if it breaks out of the obvious tropes.

BORUTO: NARUTO NEXT GENERATIONS Episode 1 – Boruto Uzumaki!\
C8pEmP5XcAEV_0l.jpg:small
C8pI9qaXgAA4bRF.jpg:small

I was almost slightly afraid it wouldnt fell Naruto'y anymore but it ended up feeling exactly the same. I love this universe and franchise and am so glad to experience it again. Could have had more of the previous characters show up, but having Boruto here and new character Denki friendship starting made it enjoyable. Konohamaru got some lines as well and wow at all the big bro Konohamaru, ...I hope he still says Naruto nii chan too.

I hope we keep getting scenes of Boruto just running through obstacles in the environment someone really loved it for the rooftop scenes. I also want more of the Shadow Clone Jutsu (though he can only do three clones :( )

The suggestions of a deeper and darker story are going to make this just as epic as Naruto pt 1 and 2.
C8pBha_WsAAGZ1N.jpg:small

jorgejjvr

BORUTO: NARUTO NEXT GENERATIONS Episode 1 – Boruto Uzumaki!

I was almost slightly afraid it wouldnt fell Naruto'y anymore but it ended up feeling exactly the same. I love this universe and franchise and am so glad to experience it again. Could have had more of the previous characters show up, but having Boruto here and new character Denki friendship starting made it enjoyable. Konohamaru got some lines as well and wow at all the big bro Konohamaru, ...I hope he still says Naruto nii chan too.

I hope we keep getting scenes of Boruto just running through obstacles in the environment someone really loved it for the rooftop scenes. I also want more of the Shadow Clone Jutsu (though he can only do three clones :( )

The suggestions of a deeper and darker story are going to make this just as epic as Naruto pt 1 and 2.
Such an amazing first episode

Can't wait for more

BORUTO: NARUTO NEXT GENERATIONS Episode 1 – Boruto Uzumaki!\

I think it feels very different since they aren't focusing on the characters that fans grew up with. New gen are cool and all but I really rather see the older gen with their adult lives.

Did enjoy the animation though:
tumblr_onxmt2Ajy11v5sogro4_r1_540.gif

Clov

Going by the script looks like Sentai picked that one up...

Damn!

I think it's mostly a case of both MHA and attack on titan airing this season which has made funimation burn most of their budget on licensing those that freed up a lot of other shows for sentai to pick up this season to make a splash with amazon.

we will see how things turn out, but with crunchy having their parent company pouring money into VRV this might just be a perfect storm for amazon to really get strike going and see how many people they can get to sign up.

if a lot sign up for this season then you can imagine them pouring even more money into anime.

I just wish it was included as part of prime... it would make it easier to enjoy.

Yeah, I can see that. The first MHA apparently cost Funi a fortune, and with the new AoT airing as well, they probably had used most of their budget on those two.

Cornbread78

Nana ep.23
koLBJfC.jpg

Well now Nobu... Things are certainly going to get interesting between that budding love and that message Yasu got at the end of the episode.... Good stuff yet again

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boruto: The Quest for More Money Episode 1:

I do admit the opening tease has me interested and perhaps does fulfill a long time dream I have involving this cast. That being said, not impressed with neophyte Boruto here as he genuinely comes across as nothing more then a clone of his father in spite of his declarations and this would explain my desire to see him smashed against a wall until made a bloody pulp. Still if we get better Sasuke and Sakura analogs then this show will already be so, so much better then the previous generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom