• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records ep 1
Garter belts...check!

Mid riff belts?! what?!......CHECK

Ok I'm in except for that trashy fanservice in the middle part of the episode.

Chase17

Boruto 1

Liked this a lot. Boruto (and some others) and some great reaction faces in it. The opening scene is fairly interesting, and was more compelling to me here than in the manga for whatever reason. Enjoyed the Boruto and Shikadi scenes. Guess we will find out what the deal with Denki aura thing is later on.

DNAbro

Man Persona 5 is my new favorite anime. Can't wait to see what happens next.

Also is Boruto recapping the movie? Or does it start after the movie?

Cornbread78

Hope there's donuts in Sakura Quest.

:lol

All the donuts you need right here..

mGGyhjw.gif

Deadly

Rokudenashi Majutsu Koushi to Akashic Records 01
Next episode the MC is revealed as this really OP guy right?

Boruto 1
I wonder if they're going to animate the movie? Boruto pre-movie is abit meh, he's basically just Naruto.

Boruto 1
I wonder if they're going to animate the movie? Boruto pre-movie is abit meh, he's basically just Naruto.

I thought an interview suggested that they are not going to animate what the movie covered?

I would kill for a JTHM animated series.

Hrrrrrrrmmmmmmmm...

HHHHRRRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMM

Pretty much. It's handled...somewhat competently because he's not like the last son of a dying breed or secretly holding a 20 tail fox or possesses amazing talent. He basically was just trained by essentially the best magician that exists and is a smart guy so he knows how to cut corners and come up with different ways to do things.

Like I said, it's safely in the LN trash territory but the MC is pretty entertaining especially with how he wins fights and treats people like shit so it's worth a 3 or 4 minute read every month.

Whether that extends to a 20 minute episode...well, I still haven't watched it... >____>

Ascheroth

Pretty much. It's handled...somewhat competently because he's not like the last son of a dying breed or secretly holding a 20 tail fox or possesses amazing talent. He basically was just trained by essentially the best magician that exists and is a smart guy so he knows how to cut corners and come up with different ways to do things.

Like I said, it's safely in the LN trash territory but the MC is pretty entertaining especially with how he wins fights and treats people like shit so it's worth a 3 or 4 minute read every month.

Whether that extends to a 20 minute episode...well, I still haven't watched it... >____>
I would say so, yes.
If you ignore the obvious LN trash scenes, I found the comedic timing and animation pretty good.

Miss Kobayashi's Maid Dragon 13 END

I got genuinely teary eyed at the end of this. I didn't expect myself to like this show that much (I like the manga just fine) but that KyoAni touch really added a lot to it.

I'm gonna need a replacement show

Line_HTX

I thought it ended last week? Or did it just so happen to have an available broadcasting slot crossing over into the new season?

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 13 End

really cute episode and a good ending, i never expected being emotionally attached to the characters in this show before it aired. Really good OP and ED, both the songs and the visuals.

Deadly

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 13
This was so heart-warming :( Sad that it's over. Is the manga much further away? Maybe I'll check that out

I thought an interview suggested that they are not going to animate what the movie covered?
I mean Boruto kinda changes drastically in the movie... They'd have to address it eventually.

JulianImp

Of course, and then they will convince you that it's not just a straight garbage LN adaptation....

GKUscqV.jpg

Dead.

Kind of funny that we in the west have come to nickname all these sorts of stories as just "LNs", but seriously, it's kind of sad to see yet another generic school setting + gary stu mc + fanservice LN get animated instead of more series such as Kokoro Connect, Baccano or Haruhi. Like, how much longer are editors going to keep accepting scripts that basically ammount to a magical/futuristic high school with a male protagonist surrounded by girls that coincidentally happens to be an infallible prodigy? Do LN readers really like their gary stus and mary sues that much?

Full list of Anime Strike simulcasts for this spring:

Granblue Fantasy the Animation: April 1
Sagrada Reset: April 5
Armed Girl's Machiavellism: April 5
Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend Flat: April 5
Kabukibu!: April 7
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul: April 7
Re:CREATORS: April 7
Eromanga Sensei: April 8
Grimoire of Zero: April 10
Anonymous Noise: April 11
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Sword Oratoria: April 14
Atom The Beginning: April 15

If it did there would deffo be some strong reactions to her here

You assume I read most of the posts on here.

Dead.

Kind of funny that we in the west have come to nickname all these sorts of stories as just "LNs", but seriously, it's kind of sad to see yet another generic school setting + gary stu mc + fanservice LN get animated instead of more series such as Kokoro Connect, Baccano or Haruhi. Like, how much longer are editors going to keep accepting scripts that basically ammount to a magical/futuristic high school with a male protagonist surrounded by girls that coincidentally happens to be an infallible prodigy? Do LN readers really like their gary stus and mary sues that much?

The LN/manga is dumb and trash but he's not a Gary Stu. Dude is far from infallible and not even remotely a prodigy.

Cornbread78

Midori Days ep.3-4
4QoOe8b.jpg

Gotta admit, this show is a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Midori is cute in her role and the brut is well, a brut but has his moments as a decent MC. Looking forward to more of this one.

blurr

Sakura Quest 01

This was the work life show premise I was expecting out of what I've read and saw. Nothing beyond that but it's definitely on the more promising end.

I appreciate that it retains a sense of humor that somewhat resonates with me. Managed to draw few laughs.

The lead girl is very reminiscent of Miyamori Aoi, although the VA is different.

JulianImp

Why do you think all these stuff keep popping up in the first place? lol

Kind of sad since it speaks about a part of the population that laps up power fantasies as a way to escape the strict society they live in. All those stories about people being fated to win/find love/whatever sound fishy to me since the whole premise pretty much deprives its characters of any semblance of agency they might've had, and that extends to the works' social message. Stories that hinge on meritocracy aren't all that good in my book either, but it's kind of funny how, for example, some shounen series have the MC train hard and all at first, but later on it's revealed that they had some unfathomable power sleeping within them merely due to their ancestry that makes them win by default.

The LN/manga is dumb and trash but he's not a Gary Stu. Dude is far from infallible and not even remotely a prodigy.

Oh, so the LN moniker was due to being dumb and trashy only. Still wish the time, money and manpower had gone to some other show, but I guess no season's complete without some phoned-in trash in it.

That's pretty much every major title besides MHA,Eccentric Family, and AoT.

Kinda seems like Amazon is poised to win this 'war' the second some big manga gets an anime announced and there's no potential preexisting deals in play. If they're serious it feels like there's zero way for Funi or Crunchy to compete.

Kind of sad since it speaks about a part of the population that laps up power fantasies as a way to escape the strict society they live in. All those stories about people being fated to win/find love/whatever sound fishy to me since the whole premise pretty much deprives its characters of any semblance of agency they might've had, and that extends to the works' social message. Stories that hinge on meritocracy aren't all that good in my book either, but it's kind of funny how, for example, some shounen series have the MC train hard and all at first, but later on it's revealed that they had some unfathomable power sleeping within them merely due to their ancestry that makes them win by default.

I don't know that I agree that it's sad. I mean, most of this stuff is aimed at a 13-early 20s audience and one of the benefits of art/entertainment is escapism. I don't think LNs adaptations or power fantasies are inherently bad if people want to use entertainment as an escape. That said, I do agree they're way more prevalent than they perhaps should be, and too formulaic to feel like much beyond pandering. But I don't think it says anything bad about people wanting to catch a break from lives they're not happy/bored by.

Oh, so the LN moniker was due to being dumb and trashy only. Still wish the time, money and manpower had gone to some other show, but I guess no season's complete without some phoned-in trash in it.

Lol I don't disagree with you, I just kinda like my criticisms of stuff to be accurate; you're completely 100% right otherwise. Manga is pretty much only worth a read to see him be a lazy asshole.

JulianImp

I guess the near-monopoly on anime streaming rights not lasting all that much was to be expected, but I definitely am not looking forward to paying multiple subscriptions across different sites. Does Amazon work like CR in that non-paid users can still access episodes after a slight delay, or are shows completely locked behind the paywall?

Lol I don't disagree with you, I just kinda like my criticisms of stuff to be accurate; you're completely 100% right otherwise. Manga is pretty much only worth a read to see him be a lazy asshole.

That's sad, and makes me wish we'd get a Helck adaptation. I was really expecting it to be little more than a OPM-like after finishing the first volume, but boy was I wrong.

...And that reminds me I really ought to catch up with the manga rather than watching 20-something minutes of trashy shows.

I guess the near-monopoly on anime streaming rights not lasting all that much was to be expected, but I definitely am not looking forward to paying multiple subscriptions across different sites. Does Amazon work like CR in that non-paid users can still access episodes after a slight delay, or are shows completely locked behind the paywall?

Completely and utterly locked. Bow before Jeff Bezos your new lord and master.
Yeah it sucks.

Ryuukan

completely locked and you need prime as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom