• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

hmm.

Alright been awhile, but I cleared yet another show off my list with Ben-to.

Now I'm looking for something a little bit more emotionally charged. I've already seen all the Clannad, Anohana, Your Lie in April, etc...

What else is out there (under 50 episode <24 and under preferred>) that I should watch that has an emotional edge to it?

Not too worried about the genre, I just want it to be compelling and hold some emotional interest to me.

DjZmvIc.gif

MAL, just in case:
https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Cornbread78

Ascheroth

hmm.

Now I'm looking for something a little bit more emotionally charged. I've already seen all the Clannad, Anohana, Your Lie in April, etc...

What else is out there (under 50 episode <24 and under preferred>) that I should watch that has an emotional edge to it?

Not too worried about the genre, I just want it to be compelling and hold some emotional interest to me.

DjZmvIc.gif
NieR Automata

But why? CR's week of delay and lack of access to high-quality streams was a pretty decent difference for free vs paid users, but completely locking things out for non-paid users, well...

...I guess we really arr the last of us.

No idea. Without knowing how lucrative their Anime Strike streaming is so far, and their long term goals, it's hard to guess why Amazon is locking up everything behind double pay walls. It makes me wonder if their goal is more to put a strangle hold on the business in the short term and essentially choke the competition to death.

I think the best hope is for Anime Strike, along with Amazon's other channels, to be moved outside of the Prime pay wall. I doubt we'll ever see them do free one week later streaming though.

I dont remember people ever having issue with the assortment of other Amazon Channels requiring more on top of having Prime. Why is there issue with anime?

Probably because, say, with one service you'd pay 6 to 10 a month. Switching to Amazon would be double the price hike assuming you don't already have Prime. People don't like change, especially if it means forking over more money. Especially for less, and, well, Anime Strike does have an exceedingly small backlog by comparison.

hmm.

DjZmvIc.gif
Big windup!

And

its 58 episodes now, but Haikyu is emotionally charged to the max.

That's sad, and makes me wish we'd get a Helck adaptation. I was really expecting it to be little more than a OPM-like after finishing the first volume, but boy was I wrong.

...And that reminds me I really ought to catch up with the manga rather than watching 20-something minutes of trashy shows.

Mmmmm...Helck anime...

hmm.

DjZmvIc.gif

MAL, just in case:

Lovely Complex

Ryuukan

I dont remember people ever having issue with the assortment of other Amazon Channels requiring more on top of having Prime. Why is there issue with anime?

animestrike was the first amazon channel launched that amazon owned themselves

the idea that amazon had these licenses but slapped a premium fee on top of what people pay for prime video kinda sucks

phaze

hmm.

DjZmvIc.gif

MAL, just in case:

You still haven't seen Tatami Galaxy judging by your MAL. I'm not quite sure what you mean by emotional edge but it TG has some charged moments in its latter part.

Unless you just to want to go fullsad. If so, you just need to kindly apply the following list:

Shigurui
Casshern Sins
Fafner: Right of Left
Texhnolyze

JulianImp

You seem to imply here that a franchise such as Sword Art Online is only popular in Japan.
Of course some of those kinds of shows make their way across and become popular around here, but you have a lot more access to those kinds of stories in Japan.

Like, I sort of condemn both meritocracy and fate as the be-all-end-all to the way stories are framed, but at least with meritocratic elements the establishment is telling people they can go out there and do stuff to change things (of course that only includes things that the establishment actually wants/allows them to change, but that's a whole different topic), while fate is all about acceptance and going with the flow like a gear in a machine, and you're out of luck if you weren't born in a powerful/influential family or someone with such traits happens to come across you and decides to give you a hand to get there.

No idea. Without knowing how lucrative their Anime Strike streaming is so far, and their long term goals, it's hard to guess why Amazon is locking up everything behind double pay walls. It makes me wonder if their goal is more to put a strangle hold on the business in the short term and essentially choke the competition to death.

I think the best hope is for Anime Strike, along with Amazon's other channels, to be moved outside of the Prime pay wall. I doubt we'll ever see them do free one week later streaming though.

At least Crunchy had regional prices for Latin America, but I fear bigger companies might not be as interested in doing that kind of stuff and will end up pushing their US princes into us, which would also result in less people paying, and more just going back to streaming shows through sites of dubious legality.

I'd say it's just a sign of things to come though. It's a massive step up from the last season and that before it.
Yea it will surely make for an intersting year for the best or for the worst.
In terms of intrinsic popularity among the US anime fanbase, I'd say Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul is their biggest title.
Bahamut really? I thought Hestia and co. had a bigger impact on the anime community. Bahamut felt like it left a much smaller impact.

animestrike was the first amazon channel launched that amazon owned themselves

the idea that amazon had these licenses but slapped a premium fee on top of what people pay for prime video kinda sucks

I dont really understand, sentai has several of these licenses, while other stuff under anime strike branding has viz and aniplex licenses...I think we can only assume they have to charge more because these companies want to earn some form of money. Last I checked we dont really see these companies simulcasts on netflix for example, and sentai and co had already locked their anime from being seen on the free version of hulu when it existed. Meanwhile stuff like Kabaneri (AMZN first simulcast, right?) and Battery, are again, not in anime strike.

Would people be happy paying separately for amazon prime video and then paying an additionally $4.99 for strike?

Cornbread78

You still haven't seen Tatami Galaxy judging by your MAL. I'm not quite sure what you mean by emotional edge but it TG has some charged moments in its latter part.

Unless you just to want to go fullsad. If so, you just need to kindly apply the following list:

Shigurui
Casshern Sins
Fafner: Right of Left
Texhnolyze

We did a Let's Watch for Tatami, so I already watched that one.

Shigurui
Casshern
Texhnolyze

Hmm, might have to flip a coin for these ones.

Hmm....

Is Bokurano, Casshern or Tex better?

phaze

be aware that none of those are remotely in the same ballpark as Clannad or You Lie in April as far as the subject matter goes.

Cornbread78

Sakura Quest ep.1
Meh, not sure if this one will be on my list past the first few episodes, but I really liked the ED and that one part towards the end when she
KO'd the old dude
that was pretty funny stuff.

be aware that none of those are remotely in the same ballpark as Clannad or You Lie in April as far as the subject matter goes.

So what you are saying is that these are even more messed up and don't have any bittersweet and "hopeful" moments to them?

Cornbread78

My thinking was more along the line that since Hestia and Bell left a good impression on the community, having *Is it wrong to pick up girls in a dungeaon* plus having a familiar face on the cover would lead to a bigger title.

The way it was phrased during the time Danmachi was airing is that that was the prologue to a much MUCH larger story that hasn't even been written yet.

Having an anime based on the most boring character in the show is certainly weird.... They should have used the barkeep or even the guild master for a more compelling main character.

phaze

Sakura Quest ep.1
Meh, not sure if this one will be on my list past the first few episodes, but I really liked the ED and that one part towards the end when she
KO'd the old dude
that was pretty funny stuff.

So what you are saying is that these are even more messed up and don't have any bittersweet and "hopeful" moments to them?

That too but they're also simply not the kind of romantic melodramas with teenagers you more or less have specified as your examples. Shigurui is also a "go read manga after" show.

-------------

Do we know how long is Boruto going to air for ? Or is it another long-runner ?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The way it was phrased during the time Danmachi was airing is that that was the prologue to a much MUCH larger story that hasn't even been written yet.

Having an anime based on the most boring character in the show is certainly weird.... They should have used the barkeep or even the guild master for a more compelling main character.
It's an adaption of a spinoff LN that already exists.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Finally jotted down my thoughts on Tower after a month delay (thanks Horizon lol), but I just wanted to bring it up again because I was reminded about how interesting it was as a film.

If nothing else, it might be worth checking out the Independent Lens post on the process of animating the film if you're at all interested in the filmmaking process.

wOUMPDM.gif

I still think the animated documentary, at least in this form, is an amazing idea. Although I doubt that anyone else will try something like this anytime soon.

zulux21

Any of the strike shows dubbed?

not any time soon most of them are sentai pick ups.

hmm.

DjZmvIc.gif

MAL, just in case:

lets see you already watched Orange...
you are currently watching Nana
you already watched honey and clover
you already watched cross game...

*ctrl+f zero*
wait you haven't watched Re:zero?
you haven't watched great teacher onizuka either... that can be emotionally charged at times >.>
Kaleido Star brings on the emotions at times and diabetes at other times :p
rec was okay https://myanimelist.net/anime/710/Rec it's nice and short.
Romeo x Juliet can bring emotions and despite everything was actually a fun new take on the story.
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei for sure brings emotions... mostly despair but still.
Sakamichi no Apollon was a solid show with emotions and a great bromance. it is to blues what bebop is to jazz :p

one of those should catch your interest :p

Cornbread78

It's an adaption of a spinoff LN that already exists.
I was referring to Danmachi as a whole, not the spin-off that will be airing this weekend.

Sakurada Reset ep.1
Got some serious Kokoro Connect vibes from watching this. Not in tone, but in the subject material. The presentation could use some work, but the subject material is interesting and even the tone is sterile and dramatic I'm kind of interested in where they go with the story.

DiGiKerot

So are those just not available at all outside the US?
Because Anime Strike has episode 1 of Sakurada Reset already up, while there's crickets on Prime here.

Why is this so confusing. I just want to watch anime.

Sagrada is a Sentai license, rather than something directly picked up via Amazon. It probably depends entirely on what regions Sentai picked the license up for, and which of those they passed on via their Amazon deal. Amazon aren't necessarily going to go the extra mile CR did to ensure non-US rights given they don't have a dedicated anime service in those countries, and Sentai won't necessarily push if the recompense doesn't offset what they may lose in sublicening income for home release rights for things they have additional English territories for. Basically, Yeah, there's a good chance that we may be screwed in streaming for at least a subset of those titles outside the US.

That said, the Noitamina license for the season, Saekano, looks to be up in the UK already at least.

zulux21

I was referring to Danmachi as a whole, not the spin-off that will be airing this weekend.

Sakurada Reset ep.1
Got some serious Kokoro Connect vibes from watching this. Not in tone, but in the subject material. The presentation could use some work, but the subject material is interesting and even the tone is sterile and dramatic I'm kind of interested in where they go with the story.

it's going to be 24 episodes and likely adapt the whole LN series so ideally it's a good series.

also sad face a FMP being removed from this year.

Cornbread78

not any time soon most of them are sentai pick ups.
lets see you already watched Orange...
you are currently watching Nana
you already watched honey and clover
you already watched cross game...

*ctrl+f zero*
wait you haven't watched Re:zero?
you haven't watched great teacher onizuka either... that can be emotionally charged at times >.>
Kaleido Star brings on the emotions at times and diabetes at other times :p
rec was okay https://myanimelist.net/anime/710/Rec it's nice and short.
Romeo x Juliet can bring emotions and despite everything was actually a fun new take on the story.
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei for sure brings emotions... mostly despair but still.
Sakamichi no Apollon was a solid show with emotions and a great bromance. it is to blues what bebop is to jazz :p

one of those should catch your interest :p
watched the crossed out ones already

Great Teacher Onizuka
Kaleido Star
Romeo x Juliet
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Shigurui no ending
Casshern
Texhnolyze
Bokurano

Hmm, now how should I watch the above?

it's going to be 24 episodes and likely adapt the whole LN series so ideally it's a good series.

That's excellent news. I wonder how the source material was received. IT's got a lot of potential and I really like the male VA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom