• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
C8sXEL4UwAAEo6J.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Clockwork Planet Episode 1:

Wanted to like this as I find the idea of a literal clockwork planet rather interesting but I quickly soured on this thanks to the terrible LN cast.

Haly

So I'm an innocent, trash loving homosexual idiot in their late 20s who really wanted to have fun with girls in high school?

You don't get to have multiple favorites but in the case that you do yes, this describes you perfectly.

KraytarJ

So I guess I'm someone who likes to cry, did band in high school, and wanted to have fun with girls in high school…

Love Tyrant 1
Fujoshis, yuri, yaoi, yanderes, incest, and a kiss note. What's not to love?

Haly

Were none of you taught what "favorite" means in high school???

Maybe you should've paid attention to English instead of looking at the girls you weren't having fun with!

TUSR assures me he had all the fun with the girls.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Were none of you taught what "favorite" means in high school???

Maybe you should've paid attention to English instead of looking at the girls you weren't having fun with!

TUSR assures me he had all the fun with the girls.

I think we found the Persona 5 localizers!

Chindogg

Has anyone tried out VRV yet? They apparently finally made a Roku app, and now have a Web Player and I'm finally tempted to sign up.

It's not bad. You can link your CR account to it and keep all your CR benefits. They're adding Funi linking soon so you can have both CR and Funi for $10/mo.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Love Tyrant Episode 1:

Surprisingly watchable out the gate though I am concerned for the long term prospects as some of the jokes were getting stale already.

Haruhi is my favorite of the bunch but I don't actually read Light Novels. Full Metal Panic would be second.

It's not bad. You can link your CR account to it and keep all your CR benefits. They're adding Funi linking soon so you can have both CR and Funi for $10/mo.

Nice, think I'm going for it.

KraytarJ

Clockwork Planet 1
I had high hopes for this one coming in. The promo art and premise made it seem like one of the few things I'd want to check out this season. Holy fuck was I wrong. There was literally not a single good thing about that. The worst and most generic cast you can imagine, atrocious writing, awful character art. It took everything I had just to slog through one episode, that's pretty much the easiest drop of the season.

Kayhan

So I just found out Berserk season 2 is starting tomorrow.

Why was this not known? I feel like Anime-GAF let me down.

With how much scenes Masaaki Iwane is animating in Sun and Moon, I am beginning to suspect he has somehow ascended to a state of being no longer governed by time and space.

Or Sun and Moon is being produced on a schedule even better than XY.

One of those two.

petran79

Banned
You should check it out. The movie did came out in English, but the name was changed to Air Bound for some strange reason. They also changed the names for characters in the English dub IIRC.

Had no idea this would be a US co-production,considering the original series by O. Dezaki was never aired to English speaking countries.

At least such movies feature good dubs. Thanks

Taruranto

A bit late, personally I don't think 3.33 is a good movie, but at least it's an interesting one and not just a worse retelling of Eva with Mari and worse versions of Asuka and Rei.

Also did anything interesting come out this season yet.

A Silent Voice
Koe no Kotachi Movie

This is the second time I have watched anime in an actual movie theatre, and whilst last time was a pretty dead midday showing, today the only showing was the more prime-time 5:30pm.

The film itself, whilst definitely watchable has a certain haze of wishy-washyness across it. At times it can be brutally honest - with the main character bullying inflicted by the main character shown in unflinching glory. But other times it feels like the show is too constrained by the fact that it wants to tell a story for it to run things to their natural conclusion. The opening scene is a prime example of this.
The MC has determined that he will kill himself. This is not a spur of the moment thing, or simple ideation. We are shown that he has quit his job, sold all of his belongings, withdrawn all his money and marked off the days in the calendar. We are supposed to come to the conclusion that he has fully committed himself to death... but then he sees the girl and asks her to be his friend and it is as if none of that had happened?
Probably caused by sticking to the source material but I was really annoyed that they treated it so flimsily.

The music was very jarring at times. Especially the change between the first and second scenes. Music choice there was odd given the gravity of what they had just shown, and the change in volume was very noticeable.

The subject matter itself is very complicated and I'm glad they took it on and didn't completely flunk it. There are some really genuine heartfelt (and funny!) moments in the film that show that someone cared about it. One thing I noticed was the MC's lack of wardrobe choices versus the rest of the cast which was pretty cool. But at the same time I wished they weren't so intent on moving stuff in the certain direction that at times they leave the feeling that we are watching humans behind.

Clockwork Planet 1

This was pretty bad. I thought this sounded interesting and the promo art looked decent at a glance, but this failed out the gate.

Off putting fanservice, lame and generic characters (so far), unimpressive animation and visuals, and none of the action was even that good. The cold open was also pretty weak for me, as I don't think that was a good hook or tease to get people invested.

I might give this one more episode, but I'm tempted to just drop it.

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 13

I thought this tied things together rather nicely and I actually got misty eyed. This and Konosuba were my favorites from Winter 2017, I consistently looked forward to Kobayashi every week and I'll definitely miss it.

A bit late, personally I don't think 3.33 is a good movie, but at least it's an interesting one and not just a worse retelling of Eva with Mari and worse versions of Asuka and Rei.

Also did anything interesting come out this season yet.
Season 2 of AoT and MHA are up to really good start and Boruto's first episode was really great.

As for new stuff, I did not watch any yet.

Hellraider

With almost everything looking like (and most probably being) shit this season I decided to check something I've been wanting to for years. Watched an episode of Kuuchuu Buranko, then four more and I still don't think I'm done for the night.

Jarmel

Banned
Little Witch Academia TV-13
Since I guess Jexhius wanted me to talk about the episode, I'll do so. This was a pretty good ending to a weak cour. It serves to cap off Akko's growth up to this point (both emotionally and skillwise), establish faults with Diana, gives the side characters something to actually do, and sets up future strife with an unknown third party for the next cour. The scenes relating to Akko were especially great such as her having a near breakdown. Most importantly the stuff pertaining to the sad ghost actually felt 'magical' due the age of the ghost and the quick snapshots we get of her near the end. The story felt interesting for once and wasn't just some lazy body-change shit. That said, I don't feel the episode fixes a lot of the underlying issues with the show and I can easily see it slipping back into the same pattern. It's not a gamechanger in that sense. I'm essentially worried that this is all they have in the tank. The show at times displays this spark feels reminiscent of the OVA series but for whatever reason they can't maintain it. If this leads into a stronger second cour, I'll probably look back more fondly on the episode.

I'm also generally a bit disappointed with the production values. That's not to say this episode looked bad but it lacked a certain 'oomph' I was hoping for. Diana's stuff started out really nice with the liquid effects but it was too short.

Well at least it wasn't boring so I guess the show is improving.

kewlmyc

Yeah, that will happen. They will make a movie that retroactively makes 3.33 worthwhile, follows 3.33 up and wraps up this entire Rebuild in a satisfying way in 2 hours. That's possible.

Just finish this trainwreck so that Rebuild can stop being a black hole of talent for the industry. Not even Anno wants to do this shit anymore, and he's still got talent left in him.

I'm going to borrow GoldCrusader's optomism and say that it might be possible.

Turns out 3.33 was all a dream and never happened. We're still in the middle of the 3rd Impact.

Also, the only anime I'm watching this season is Persona 5.

The Laughing Salesman Episode 1

Black comedy is something that either works for me really well or doesn't work at all. I find Always Sunny hilarious, but Rick and Morty only manages to get a chuckle out of me maybe once or twice an episode. (The way the latter series is regressing is making me weary about this season.) The first episode of Laughing Salesman didn't work for me at all. Mainly because I found the lives of the two victims just too downright sad to enjoy the misery that befalls them. The first was just a shy businessman, and the other lived a genuinely sad life, being bullied at work and living alone. The latter by the way gets a particularly unfortunate end. I don't think there's any real lesson to be had in their downfall either due to how little a push it took to send them over. I will say this episode was reasonably well directed tho.

Cornbread78

Clockwork Planet ep.1
Whelp, more trash. I actually liked the bolder color scheme they use, however, the character designs are not good and the characters themselves are meh. With that being said, the setting and world are interesting at least so I'll give this one three to see if it improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom