• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tales From Earthsea

What an absolute convoluted train wreck. Goro Miyazaki's directorial debut and it showed. This movie feels like it suffered from a troubled production because from the script, to the lifeless characters, to the animation not being up to Ghibli's standards (seriously Howl's Movie Castle came out two years earlier and blew this out of the water) this movie was just bad.

duckroll

Tales From Earthsea

What an absolute convoluted train wreck. Goro Miyazaki's directorial debut and it showed. This movie feels like it suffered from a Trouble Production because from the script, to the lifeless characters, to the animation not being up to Ghibli's standards (seriously Howl's Movie Castle came out two years earlier and blew this out of the water) this movie was just bad.

Dude, are you trying to power through all the bad movies duckroll watched many years ago and warned others not to watch? Lol.

KonradLaw

God, that Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor started way to slow and might turn off many people who would otherwise enjoy the later content.
Because the lazy/useless shtick ends very fast in both novel and manga and is replaced with very fun magic system and lots of action.

They even cut out the hints tha the guy has very dark past. Bizzare

Dude, are you trying to power through all the bad movies duckroll watched many years ago and warned others not to watch? Lol.

I've been trying to watch all the non-Hayao Miyazaki Ghibli movies. I've hears tales how terrible this movie was, but I figured it couldn't be that bad. lol

zulux21

God, that Akashic Records of Bastard Magical Instructor started way to slow and might turn off many people who would otherwise enjoy the later content.
Because the lazy/useless shtick ends very fast in both novel and manga and is replaced with very fun magic system and lots of action.

hmmmm
ojWkFLN.png

maybe I can give it one more episode then.

Chindogg

If Love Tyrant follows the manga a lot of you are either gonna love it or be hella disappointed lol.

Edit: Oh shit WUG does the OP? AoTY right here already.

duckroll

I feel like tomorrow I'll wake up and see Crimson_Echidna make a post about how he wants to die after watching Eureka Seven Pocketful of Rainbows.

Cornbread78

Does he keep sexually harassing the female students?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I was getting on the bus today when this pink haired girl in front of me suddenly decided to walk backwards into me. The worst thing is she said "you disgust me". Say what? I'm sorry lady, but you bumped into me. Didn't even have the decency to say it to my face. People have no manners these days.

So I was getting on the bus today when this pink haired girl in front of me suddenly decided to walk backwards into me. The worst thing is she said "you disgust me". Say what? I'm sorry lady, but you bumped into me. Didn't even have the decency to say it to my face. People have no manners these days.

Sounds like love

Cornbread78

So what happened to the toast hanging out of your mouth?

Maid Dragon END

I'm just gonna be honest: I do not get where the praise for this final episode(based on earlier posts) is coming from and the tone feels like something from a totally different show. This shit was way to dour for my taste and completely out of step for the way the rest of the show was. Like where the hell did that sudden "Tohru's dragon subconsciousness" shit come from? The overly serious confrontation with her father, Kobayashi's dour mood after Tohru was taken away and the general absence of other characters. Oh and Kobayashi getting all angry and courageous against Tohru's father? Fucking what? That speech was some shit out of a generic shounen action show.

Yeah I get that this show had its tender moments and those were nice, but this episode felt completely out of step with the rest of the show in a bad way.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one noticing just how off Maid Dragon's finale was. Like, what. The whole show was mostly low-key, I was expecting something akin to episodes 11 and 12 which had been great. Instead... We got what we got lol. Some conflict that totally came outta nowhere, angsty emotional shtick... Idk. Wasn't a fan at all.

Ascheroth

Clockwork Planet #1

DRD1Dde.jpg

RIP Xebec
This looked bad for a first episode.
The opening sucks.
The anime character designs suck.
This cut a lot of things and changed a few scenes from the manga. I don't know what's closer to the LN, but the manga does it better.

It had a few cool backgrounds though.

I'll stick to the manga.

Gotta check out Kado and Mike Quest next.

blurr

Tamako Love Story

I have a feeling that this is something I should've watched at least a few years earlier, certain aspects might resonate with me better but that's another topic, there's a lot I got out of this film and part of which I had to give some post-viewing thought, even as I write this post. That being said, it's a really well done film with meaningful and subtle imagery along with some compelling moments.

A pretty straight forward story overall but there's a lot going on in between and the topics/themes that Tamako takes in give the impression that it's something beyond a simple love story. I was worried it would beat around the bush too much knowing how shy or dense the lead characters tend to be and that did happen to some extent which was all in character. It took a surprising turn early on making the aftermath very intriguing. It was beyond that point that the film really shines.

Tamako is still the airhead she was which was a strong comic element for the TV series but reality hits her in the film. What follows is a struggle to keep up with everyone and a sense of sadness that everything won't be the same as it was, change is scary. Mochizou struggles with a sense of regret and having to live with it. Both of their perspective of things are quite different from each other but they boil down to the message that it doesn't matter how things will turn out, important thing is that they tried. The development until the point they reach an understanding and acceptance is what the film does beautifully. Much of what leads the characters is relayed through visuals and little explicit dialogue work. This is also reflected in the secondary cast with Kanna, Shiori and Midori.

I am surprised at the completely lack of Dera through out the film given how much of a central role he had in every episode of the show. Basically, points out that the film is a work of its own along with light exposition early on in the film.

With this experience in mind, I'm looking forward to watch A Silent Voice. If this is any indication of Yamada's work, I'd say Silent Voice is definitely promising.

Cornbread78

Nana ep. 24-25
Hachi, Hachi, Hachi. You knew this was the way it was going to be and still you let it happen. That's on you girl. I love how this show takes time to frame their internal monologues to really both the known and unknown elements of what is really on Hachi's mind when things are happening. It gives a nice connection to the characters that you can relate to emotionally.

Poor Nobu. Now, the Reara stuff is just... wow! She is not who she appears to be, that is for sure. Not that it needs to be said, but this show is good..

Maid Dragon END

I'm just gonna be honest: I do not get where the praise for this final episode(based on earlier posts) is coming from and the tone feels like something from a totally different show. This shit was way to dour for my taste and completely out of step for the way the rest of the show was. Like where the hell did that sudden "Tohru's dragon subconsciousness" shit come from? The overly serious confrontation with her father, Kobayashi's dour mood after Tohru was taken away and the general absence of other characters. Oh and Kobayashi getting all angry and courageous against Tohru's father? Fucking what? That speech was some shit out of a generic shounen action show.

Yeah I get that this show had its tender moments and those were nice, but this episode felt completely out of step with the rest of the show in a bad way.

It didn't bother me too much, but this echoes my wife's issues that this "main plot" ultimately was never really serviced throughout the course of the series.

Oh though I did think the Tohru's inner self stuff was pretty dumb.

Ascheroth

Youjo Senki #12 (End)

Finished this yesterday. Good stopping point.

Probably my personal surpirse of the season. Initially dropped it after episode 1 and now it became one of my favorite shows of last season, haha.

Aoi Yuuki hamming it up to 11 is pure entertainmant, so good.
I had the biggest grin on my face at the end of 12 when she
started shitting on god during her speech to her unit.

Dali

First episode of love tyrant:

"Is it because we're the same gender? Or is it because we're blood sisters that you won't respond to my love?"

Lol, ok i think that's enough crunchyroll for today. Anything from the Spring season look good other than aot season 2?

Pokemon Sun and Moon 21

...what...what did I just watch?

Wasn't this the whacky, silly show?

What is this pain in my kokoro?

*Translator's Note: Kokoro means heart

Cornbread78

Casshern Sins ep.3
NIRzimu.jpg

Yup, life is terrible for Casshern and he is a walking reaper. He had a friend for a couple mins at least.....

blurr

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar 08

It's amazing how this show manages to portray/talk exactly what I have in mind.

I assumed they bought a badge for Manato as well right when they revealed they got one for themselves.

"Is it because we're the same gender? Or is it because we're blood sisters that you won't respond to my love?"

Lol, ok i think that's enough crunchyroll for today. Anything from the Spring season look good other than aot season 2?
My Hero Academia season 2
Tsukigakirei
Kado
Boruto

Dali

My Hero Academia season 2 - been watching but less enthused with season 2
Tsukigakirei - Read the summary earlier and may give a try
Kado - tried to watch yesterday but it's cg garbage
Boruto - hate Naruto stuff
Thanks. I'll give tsukigakirei a try.

Boruto
Granblue Fantasy
Kenka Banchou Otome: Girl Beats Boys
Starmyu
Room Mate
Love Kome
Future Card Buddyfight X [Battsu]

Narag

Berserk (2017) 2

little cg doggo lookied like it was from King's Field

y'know the PS1 game

Going back to the 3D was something of a drag after the lovely 2D Farnese/Serpico backstory but hey, off to a decent enough (for this show) start.

e_i

Saekano season 2 episode 1

Oh, look, close up shots of boobs, crotches, and butts. And the girls are trying to bone the lead. What's this show about again? I did like how the characters were discussing
how shitty the first season was (it's not IMO)

blurr

Damn

My Hero Academia 13.5 eng dub

So I was looking at what to watch on Funimation and yoooo they dubbed episode 13.5 of MHA which kind of surprised me considering they don't usually dub recaps, but I guess since it's MHA they did it anyway.
As for the recap episode itself it was pretty well edited, the change in music for some key scene made for some cool yet different moment, Deku crying when All Might tells him he can be a hero still gets me every damn time. Justin Briner really nail the fanboy side of Deku. The mid part focus on character intro and details with top AAA quality art by Deku(he's the best). Pretty cool way to do it. The one part that really got me was during the edited All Might vs Noumu fight and all the music stopped only to hear Christopher Sabat scream PLUS ULTRAAAAA!....god damn he nailed it so well! It sends shivers down my spine every time I hear it. It finshed with a cool little ending with water-like color of some scenes. Well done recap I enjoyed it.

Cornbread78

Devil is a Part Timer ep2-3
PrbG7w1.jpg

Some decent comedy in here, especially the restaurant scene above, however, there is a much more serious tone/plot to the show than I thought there would be. Either way, the character interactions are still fun and there is lots of fun stuff going on so It's pretty good stuff.

blurr

Devil is a Part Timer ep2-3
PrbG7w1.jpg

Some decent comedy in here, especially the restaurant scene above, however, there is a much more serious tone/plot to the show than I thought there would be. Either way, the character interactions are still fun and there is lots of fun stuff going on so It's pretty good stuff.

what's with the quality of that screengrab

KraytarJ

Sakura Quest - by far the standout of the season so far
Tsukigakirei

Sterok

Twin Angels Break 1

Pachinko Magical Girls, or at least that's what my 2 minutes of research told me. Super, super typical magical girl stuff the entire way through. Everything feels like a typical Precure type show, though the mascot's reaction about the energy they're collecting makes me wonder. In a post-Madoka/Yuuki Yuuna/Raising Project world it's hard to have trust in mascots that just come up to some random school girl and transform her into a Magical Girl without a solid explanation about what's going on. Doubt that's happening here though. The only gimmick I've seen so far is awful fight scenes. Also, more weapon and melee usage. Sometimes I wish modern Magical Girls had a little more beam spam in their arsenal. Not great, but watchable, and the villains seem amusing, so I'll follow this.

JulianImp

Saekano season 2 episode 1

Oh, look, close up shots of boobs, crotches, and butts. And the girls are trying to bone the lead. What's this show about again? I did like how the characters were discussing
how shitty the first season was (it's not IMO)

It was a generic harem full of thirsty girls and an overly clueless main character. It isn't shit-tier, but would never make any of my recommendation lists unless someone really liked that kind of shows.

Ascheroth

Kado: The Right Answer 00-01

Okay, this was really fucking good. Surprise of the season?

First contact show about negotiating with an alien thing, with smart writing and clever characters? Yes please.
The mystery cube is extremely intriguing and I loved the scientific tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom