• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Laughing Salesman Episode 1

Black comedy is something that either works for me really well or doesn't work at all. I find Always Sunny hilarious, but Rick and Morty only manages to get a chuckle out of me maybe once or twice an episode. (The way the latter series is regressing is making me weary about this season.) The first episode of Laughing Salesman didn't work for me at all. Mainly because I found the lives of the two victims just too downright sad to enjoy the misery that befalls them. The first was just a shy businessman, and the other lived a genuinely sad life, being bullied at work and living alone. The latter by the way gets a particularly unfortunate end. I don't think there's any real lesson to be had in their downfall either due to how little a push it took to send them over. I will say this episode was reasonably well directed tho.

A lot of people seem to be reading The Laughing Salesman as a condemnation of Moguro's clients, but I read it (at least this episode) as a condemnation of Japanese society. As you point out, the two clients here are pitiable people who are the only decent people living in their worlds. Moguro, as a stand-in for society, preys on their weaknesses to push them down a path that ends in their destruction. So rather than the black comedy that the marketing sells this as, I see it as a mixture of horror and cynical satire. Of course I have no way of knowing if this is the interpretation intended by the show's creators (and have no experience with what the original manga or prior anime are like0, but given that the show goes out of its way to paint the clients as sympathetic and their coworkers/bosses/etc. as unsympathetic, it seems the most reasonable interpretation to me.

Sakura Quest 01

More entertaining than expected. I expected the MC too be more a cutesy type than she is. God damn that town is depressing as fuck though, ahhh reminds me of home...

Busou Shoujo Machiavellianism 01

Cocky MC vs a bunch of over-the top sword wielding girls in a school. Not the most original premise but the fight kept my interest.

Clockwork Planet 01

C8wzAbOWsAA8fkN.jpg

I'm getting an extremely strong late 90s early 2000s vibe from this show which is my favorite period of anime. Clockwork premise speaks to me strongly and the main characters seem fun. Looking forward to this one.

Renai Boukun 01

Funniest of the shows to air this season. Not sure if the yandere jokes will last the entire season but I'm a huge fan of yanderes and working them into a comedy like this seems like a good spin on it since they almost always are in 'serious' shows when they do show up.

Theonik

A Silent Voice

RKTgI3U.jpg

The other day I took the opportunity to see A Silent Voice. At first I was worried; it’s been quite some years since I last ventured outside, so I had no idea what other people’s perceptions would be to someone watching Japanimation in a public place. So when I discovered the sanctum called the ICA, it came as some relief. The ICA, which stands for Institute of Contemporary Arts, which anyone cultured would know, is a contemporary arts institute (and for the Swedes in here, I’m not talking about the supermarket). You heard that right. This feature presentation of animated frames finds its home in a venue of high culture. This isn’t a place of populist Pixar drivel which you can find in your common as muck Odeon where the unwashed masses gather, I was in here in the habitat of highbrows to watch the entertainment of intellectuals.

While I waited for the doors to open I perused the gift shop, which is full of high cultured book with titles that make no sense like ‘The Self of Hipster’ and ‘Why Did the Wigwams Cross the Road’, and I could feel my social status steadily ascending every second by pure osmosis. If I was in some lesser cinema, like the Vue, all there would be to look at are posters for common people movies and someone being suckered into buying popped corn. While I didn’t actually buy any food at the ICA I’m sure it was exquisite nonetheless. Probably something smart like a Danish pastry. That’s just the kind of place it is.

The cinema itself was rather small; 45 seats in total. What can you expect? We are not all blessed, so it makes sense to restrict things only to the elite of elite. You sometimes see cinemas show off how many hundreds of seats they house, but just know every bum on those seats belongs to a brain dead morons. You certainly won’t see me setting foot in one of those establishments from this day forth. You mark my words. I only watch cultured films for cultured people such as myself.

Sitting down, waiting for the film to start, my ears perked up. What was this familiar sound I could hear echoing into my ear chamber? Why, it was the works of Joe Hisaishi, the Japanese composer responsible for the soundtracks to many of the Ghibli films. And if that’s what the ICA picks I’m also certain works like Go My Way and Aozora Jumping Heart are just as respectable. Move over Last Night of the Proms, only peasants listen to you. I wouldn’t be surprised if Proms stood for “populist raucous of musical sludge” and if it doesn’t that’s what I’m calling it at least.

And then I watched the movie.

So that was my experience with A Silent Voice. Remember, if anyone tries to tell you anime is low brow entertainment, tell them to take their hoi polloi self away from your presence and shove their Marvel “marvels” up the abyss of their anus. Those plebs clearly have no idea what they are prattling on about since the institutes of culture clearly disagree and I think they know a little more about culture than the nincompoops do. All in all, thanks to anime, I am in the top 1% most sophisticated people on the planet.

Wait. Am I forgetting to talk about something?
Shit was lit fam. Good post too.

Last time I was at the ICA, one of the books in the bookstore was called "The Big Book of Lesbian Literature".
I saw that too. Was tempted to buy it. To show that I am a progressive intellectual of course.

Thoraxes

Renai Boukun - 01

This is actually a pretty good adaptation of the material. Pretty sure I know what arc they'll end with too, so that should be fun.

Cornbread78

Love Tyrant ep.1
Ok, now that was fun. Completely stupid and over the top, but it was funny as hell at the same time. Looking forward to move of this one.

Time Bokan 24 Episode 24 – The Genius da Vinci Was the Final Episode!
C8xAE0gWAAANWHI.jpg:small
C8xAeUwXYAAqb8j.jpg:small

C8xFfOsXYAIVWa4.jpg:small

They didnt have to spend a non insignificant amount of time selling HeroAca lol, sure it was fun and all but I would have wanted more time with the 24 Da Vinci's and more Roger Dodgers lol.

Ill miss Time Bokan 24, one of the best of these types of shows. The whole cast is great.I guess itsa coming back in six months, the ending references of them getting no pay for six months and etc.

I want Hey Say Jump to return and also for the OPs to remain just as stylish. Love is alive!
C8xBIZZXcAEkmcZ.jpg:small

Time Bokan 24 Episode 24 – The Genius da Vinci Was the Final Episode!
C8xAE0gWAAANWHI.jpg:small
C8xAeUwXYAAqb8j.jpg:small

C8xFfOsXYAIVWa4.jpg:small

They didnt have to spend a non insignificant amount of time selling HeroAca lol, sure it was fun and all but I would have wanted more time with the 24 Da Vinci's and more Roger Dodgers lol.

Huuuuuummmm I might have to check out Time Bokan again.

----------------------

Kado the right answer 0-1
This was surprisingly great! I loved how they made the first episode as 0. It served more as a introduction to the main duo of Shindo and Hanamori. Which would have felt awkward going directly into episode 1. I really liked our duo of MC. Both have great design and have really likeable personnalities and seeing a panicking Hanamori was really hard to watch.

As for episode 1, I loved how they showed us how unbeatable the new entity is and how well handled the politic side of things around were presented.

Also I wasn't sure about the constant switch between 2d and CGI, but I think it was really well handle and it never felt weird.

I'm definietly interested and impressed, I will continue watching this!

Quasar

Tsuki ga Kirei ”as the moon, so beautiful"
Really like the OP and ED for this show. Subtle and sweet. Some of the initial scenery art was really well done, but the shading tone changes (especially on the faces) from white as well as for the general white outlines on everything was a little distracting (to me anyway). Story wise, they were just trying to place the pairing into their general surroundings and have them meet each other. Not to much in the way of disposition/personality as of yet, but they did have the main pair meet and place the idea of them hooking up (inside their own minds), but in an awkward kind of way because the MC is such a drag and doesn't talk much.... Either way, it was still pretty quiet and sweet way to present the ship.

From the first episode, this will be a slow and subtle romance show, with a more dramatic tone as it goes along because even in the moments of happiness portrayed, there was a feeling of melancholy in the tone. (at least to me) I'll keep watching as this has potential to be really a really sweet "romance," but I'll definitely have my guard up.

Really liked this. My favourite new show so far.

Liked the look of it a lot. Reminded me of Grimgar and its painterly style.

Tsukigakirei 1

Wow 2/2 so far tonight. This was super cute, sweet and full of quirky funny moments.

I loved how the character interacted, from the silly self-conscious feeling teenager have about others impression of them to their parents embarrassing them by just being themselves. This episode had everything about a typical teenager's life and it was well done(by that I mean it felt normal and not full of dumb dumb moments). The 2 mains are very sweet and innocent in the way they act, being both so proud of themselves for successfully adding each other on social media.

Kotaro searching for books and quoting Dazai Osamu(thanks Bungo) was super funny. That one line in the book about schoolgirls was hilarious.

The environment themselves and the visuals are phenomenal. Loved how they went so far as to have dust reflected in the sun light in the storage room. I'm again impressed

Will definitely keep watching. I love sweet romances.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 23

bfPpSOL.png

knDlkiR.png

IZIuJh1.png

So that's it for the Devil Gundam huh? Well a new toy new gundam is coming, and by its name, I assume it's the show's namesake. I noticed alot of think, sharp lines on character's faces this episode, way more than the previous.

The Schwartz Bruder twist was expected, they share the same eye shape.

KraytarJ

Tsukigakirei 1
Other than the unbelievably creepy CG people and bizzare character shading I thought that was very nice. A pretty accurate depiction of just how awkward existing at that point in life can be. I'll be interested to see how this goes because at this point it could really go either way.

Love Tyrant - Episode 1

So yeah, this is going to be one of those meta series where they literally shout out every time they do the trope. Interesting that they jump straight into the plot without much in the way of character introductions. I 'll admit, I did get a couple of chuckles out of it, primarily the fact that the main girl is a psycho bitch right out the gate, even before her name gets written in the notebook. The fact that the main guy is attracted to her is enough for her to feel completely entitled to him.

I'll keep watching to see if the comedic timing gets better.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam

4miUEgv.png

pEU5bF5.png

You just know there's weird internet stuff about two Gundams. Not the pilots, but the actual mobile suits.

A rather inauspicious end to Master Asia as Domon gets a mid series upgrade. Domon just had no patience for his shit by the end.

I assume the next few episodes will be tournament stuff (all of the new character Gundams look awful) as subterfuge before last episode's twist kicks off one last big arc.

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 24 – Sky Wyvern, Land Wyvern
C8xevX-WsAAiqBI.jpg:small

Cheval is being so annoying, I figured this would happen with him.Just take Lutes hand and form kinship bond and live happily ever after. Why be an avenger?!

Leolaeus returning was like so awesome. my tears when he appeared!!! I missed him and Lute

zulux21

more ghost in the shell is coming

Kodansha an Production I.G announced on Friday that a new anime based on Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell manga has been green-lit. Kenji Kamiyama (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex) and Shinji Aramaki (Appleseed) are co-directing the anime. The format and release date have not yet been announced.
has a chance of being 3rd gig.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 25

5mNPJ8m.png

Sneaky ass recap episode sprinkling in important plot development.

Seriously though, wow at some of the penny-pinching. I'm pretty sure all of Master Asia's scenes are blatant cuts from previous episodes.

P.S why does the Zebra gundam have a nipple.

zulux21

Highly unlikely. Note the involvement of CG director Shinji Aramaki (Appleseed, Space Pirate Captain Harlock). This is probably a CG movie/miniseries along the lines of the Kamiyama-directed/supervised projects 009 Re:Cyborg and Cyborg 009: Call of Justice.

to be fair if they ever did make a 3rd gig I wouldn't be surprised if it was done in pure cg :/

I can still dream until otherwise told though.

duckroll

I like how after the critique that GitS Arise was trying too hard to be a modern Hollywood action thriller with bland characters and too much emphasis on action, they are going to double down and hire the Paul W.S. Anderson of Japanese CG anime to direct the next entry in the franchise. <3

Jarmel

Banned
Kado: The Right Answer 00-01
So I had heard pretty much nothing about this show despite it being directed by Kazuya Murata (Gargantia) at Toei. It's a first contact show in the same category as Arrival and Contact. In fact it reminds me a lot of Arrival. I would highly recommend watching Episode 0 as it establishes the main characters and gives insights into their personalities. This is going to be critical going forward as a huge aspect of the show is going to be about negotiations. Episode 1 doesn't delve into the characters at all and focuses more on the fallout stemming from this alien cube appearing in Tokyo. The tone of the show is fairly dry but I appreciate that as there's a general sense of realism barring one sticking point, the young female scientist.
She's really jarring as the show up until that point had tried to portray mostly realistic characters and she comes off as too 'cutesy'. That said I can tolerate her as she (and by she I mean the writers) knows her shit and I suspect the staff consulted with actual theoretical physicists. Some of the strategical approaches that the characters take in this, such as aiming for the corner of the cube, are fairly smart and so it again lends the show a sense of realism. I'm really enjoying this tone with the negotiation aspect presumably going forward as it raises the question of how would we as a species negotiate with an alien race that is presumably centuries ahead of us. It reminds me of that Hawkings quote:
"If aliens visit us, the outcome would be much as when Columbus landed in America, which didn't turn out well for the Native Americans,"
There looks to be a big emphasis on politics and bureaucracy going forward so I'm looking forward to when the Americans fuck everything up. Seems like there well be general communication issues between the aliens and the humans according to the preview as well. I appreciate shows with smart leads and going by episode 0 that will probably be the case here. The anime is supposedly depicting a negotiation between two different species so the writing is going to be crucial here in demonstrating both parties as being capable in the intellectual sense.
On the production side it's not that impressive of a show. I don't like the switches between CGI and 2D and find it irritating due to how distracting it is. It's even more annoying as the character models look a bit better when they're in 2D. I just wish they had done the whole thing in 2D as it's not action show so I can't imagine having it entirely in 2D would have been particularly strenuous. The backgrounds aren't noteworthy and even the storyboarding isn't particularly special. It's definitely not a great looking show but it does look generally good enough. Compared to half the shit I've watched tonight, I'm willing to accept that compromise.
Looks like it's going to be an interesting anime, I could appreciate something well-written in these trying times.

I like how after the critique that GitS Arise was trying too hard to be a modern Hollywood action thriller with bland characters and too much emphasis on action, they are going to double down and hire the Paul W.S. Anderson of Japanese CG anime to direct the next entry in the franchise. <3

They saw the live-action movie and were "We can do that one better."

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 26

ryFeVgx.png

A new arc, and a new visual identity for the show to come with it. A new opening (I liked the first one better), new music tracks, and some changes on some of the series' trademarks (A new Shining Finger, and Domon's suit up is no longer portrayed as strenuous and almost painful but now more serene and fluid). The Devil Gundam seems to have been dropped completely and if it weren't for Master Asia sticking around, it feels like the show could've been about something completely different up until now.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Tsuki ga Kirei Episode 1:

So on the one hand I like how grounded and earthy this program comes across and is a welcome breath of fresh air from the shitty LN assembly line. With that in mind I don't find awkward strains of teenage romance to be all that interesting. So a bit split on keeping this one right now.

Clov

Highly unlikely. Note the involvement of CG director Shinji Aramaki (Appleseed, Space Pirate Captain Harlock). This is probably a CG movie/miniseries along the lines of the Kamiyama-directed/supervised projects 009 Re:Cyborg and Cyborg 009: Call of Justice.

Fully expecting this to look as good as the first SAC opening.

Hamst3r

Now you've got me thinking about a Wes Anderson Ghost in the Shell.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kado Episode 1:

Okay, this might be the hidden gem of the season given how little it is being talked about. At any rate, this show feels like it is going for big budget Hollywood epic as evidence by the sheer size and scale of the mystery cube as well as the serious and realistic tone occasionally broken by the eccentric scientist that would probably have been played by a quasi-recognizable veteran character actor. Though I will say with the reveal at the end things took a turn for the decidedly more traditionally styled anime trappings.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Maid Dragon 13
This ending is my nightmare scenario. The show's self serious slant towards drama feels like such a stretch when it finds itself focused on a fantastical conflict. Cue characters droning on in righteous monologues that have no real meaning and limited emotion. This is a slow and boring finale that needlessly builds itself up into something that does not resemble the positive points of the show that found levity and humor in a fantastical take on reality. It's a dumb anime shouting match that keeps its emotions tucked away even with everything on the table.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So i remember another "spoon breaking into omurice" shot recently and I thought it was Koufuku Graffiti, but, no, it was Garden of Words, which is strangely absent on sakugabooru. Despite all the food porn in Koufuku Graffiti as well as half an entire episode dedicated to omurice they never had the money shot of spoon-breaking-into-egg-over-rice.

I'm going to make omurice tomorrow.

Sakura Quest 1

Easily my favorite show of the season so far. Great introduction episode and a lot of charming characters. I think this has a ton of promise. Looking forward to seeing Yoshi take to her tourism building tasks.

Armed Girl's Machiavellism 1

The action was nice, and I thought it was mostly amusing despite its premise.

Love Tyrant 1

There were some funny jokes, but by the end of the episode some of the antics got a little old. This has potential, but I'm not totally sold on this one yet.

Rainy

Banned
Theater near me in Philly is doing 4 showings of Your Name a day, 3 sub and 1 dub. Guess I'll go with the sub. Dub didn't seem too bad from the trailer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom