• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
2 out of 3 movies being good is a decent record. Hopefully 4.0 doesn't suck.

Yeah, that will happen. They will make a movie that retroactively makes 3.33 worthwhile, follows 3.33 up and wraps up this entire Rebuild in a satisfying way in 2 hours. That's possible.

Just finish this trainwreck so that Rebuild can stop being a black hole of talent for the industry. Not even Anno wants to do this shit anymore, and he's still got talent left in him.

blurr

A Silent Voice

RKTgI3U.jpg

Wait. Am I forgetting to talk about something?

W-wow....

petran79

Banned
I am more interested in the CGI movie of Gamba no Bouken. Animation quality looked fine, judging from the trailers.

JMTHEFOX

I am more interested in the CGI movie of Gamba no Bouken. Animation quality looked fine, judging from the trailers.
You should check it out. The movie did came out in English, but the name was changed to Air Bound for some strange reason. They also changed the names for characters in the English dub IIRC.

Stage On

I liked Devil all the way through, Light Novels is kinda where it lost me. I read them to review and while generally enjoyable, kinda paled in comparison to the show, and the anime adds a lot of extra content in the back half of its season. Wife also started Vol. 3 and is finding it really boring/stupid compared to the anime.

I don't know how you can possibly be board with Volume 3 considering it introduces the best character in the series so far and really shakes up the status quo. The fact we never got a third season covering it is criminal.

Ascheroth

Welp.

Armed Girls Machiavellism #1

"I expected nothing and my expectations were met."
Which is to say, this is pretty mediocre.
It also has that typical Silver Link post-processing stlye which I'm starting to really, really dislike.

Anyway, our delinquent MC transfers into a former all-girls school which became co-ed and out of fear of the boys they allowed the girls to arm themself and all the boys are forced to crossdress and act girlish.
They are used for laughs in the typical Okama way, which is pretty grating and a 100 times worse with animation and voice acting, since you can just gloss over that when reading.

The manga actually has some pretty cool and detailed fights, so I was curiouss how they'd handle those (since they typically have lots of commentary and detailed explanations about moves).
Well, it doesn't quite work out when you add 'time' as a dimension. Lots of talking is a free action moments, and interrupted battles by onlooker or participant commentary or inner thoughts (and they even cut a few completely).

The soundtrack is pretty cool though.

Sakurada Reset #1

Hmmmmmmmmmm.
Very mixed.

The premise is interesting and so was the stinger at the end.
However this is very slow and extremely dialog driven, yet the direction is extremely bland and the dialog comes across as overly pretentious.
Those characters don't talk like real kids, everyone talks like a 50 year old psychology doctorate or something.
Which I guess I wouldn't mind if it would at least be presented in interesting ways, but alas.

I'm intrigued enough to keep going, but if it doesn't pick up this will likely end up on the chopping block.

Shows I'm interested in:

Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations
Berserk Season 2
Eromanga-sensei
Granblue Fantasy The Animation
Saekano: How To Raise A Boring Girlfriend Season 2
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Season 2
Love Tyrant
Clockwork Planet

Saw this posted on r/anime and thought it was interesting: Winter 2017 MAL Score Progressions.

Based on that, it looks like Saga of Tanya and Dragon Maid were the two "surprises" of last season.

Hard to make conclusions without total numbers (and also number that dropped or even rated it week to week, what if they missed several weeks? or reported only for a few weeks here or there?), also the disconnect between shows trending lower over time but then having a surprising rise at the end. The influx of people who rate a show only once its concluded (at final episode) makes it hard to interpret if sentiment was truly declining over time or if it wasnt being accurately measured). Also variation for each weeks points would be helpful. Scale of decline is also difficult to compare, I mean if you only change, between 0.2 and 0.4, your decrease could look really dramatic even if thats actually minimal.

I don't know how you can possibly be board with Volume 3 considering it introduces the best character in the series so far and really shakes up the status quo. The fact we never got a third season covering it is criminal.

*shrug* I dunno, I'll ask her next time she gets back to it. I think she said she's going to reread it from the beginning since it's been months since she started it.

Defo give the film a look, I enjoyed it very much even if I think on reflection the need to 'go bigger' hurt some of the historical accuracy stuff I geeked out on from the series. Just give me more obscure tankettes and junk from lesser known countries! The Anzio OVA is good craic too and given how the Italians show up in the film it's worth having watched it first if not quite essential. The film like the series though does have fan service (hi onsen/tank washing scene) those always bum me out in a show that isn't ecchi focused.
Thanks, I plan to grab the OVAs along with the film sometime in the next couple months; I'll revisit the show when I get those (maybe as a nice breather from Monogatari: Second Season, which is my big project to watch this summer). As for accuracy, I can imagine a bigger military hardware nut being somewhat annoyed at having tanks zooming around the environments like something out of one of the later Resident Evils, but I think they managed to find a nice balance by focusing on the team's jobs inside the tank. I agree they could've had a little more variety among the hardware, but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the show overall.

Cornbread78

Tsuki ga Kirei “as the moon, so beautiful”
Really like the OP and ED for this show. Subtle and sweet. Some of the initial scenery art was really well done, but the shading tone changes (especially on the faces) from white as well as for the general white outlines on everything was a little distracting (to me anyway). Story wise, they were just trying to place the pairing into their general surroundings and have them meet each other. Not to much in the way of disposition/personality as of yet, but they did have the main pair meet and place the idea of them hooking up (inside their own minds), but in an awkward kind of way because the MC is such a drag and doesn't talk much.... Either way, it was still pretty quiet and sweet way to present the ship.

From the first episode, this will be a slow and subtle romance show, with a more dramatic tone as it goes along because even in the moments of happiness portrayed, there was a feeling of melancholy in the tone. (at least to me) I'll keep watching as this has potential to be really a really sweet "romance," but I'll definitely have my guard up.

Shows I'm interested in:
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?

Just as an FYI in case you haven't looked too much into it, the series airing this spring is a spin-off series and not really connected to the first season (which is why it is not called "season 2." This show follows the boring, blond, OP Aiz and her crew as they explore the tower. The show still has some potential to be fun and interesting, but don't expect Bell, Hestia, or another epic minotaur fght.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
as the moon, so beautiful

it's a middle school romance, i liked it even though the art can be a bit awkward at times. It's pretty relaxing to watch since the characters aren't speaking all the time and the ost is nice. Ready to see where this goes.

So is that season 2 for Little Witch Academia? I thought season 1 was already airing/aired now but we were just waiting for Netflix to put it all up on their site once the season was complete.

Tsuki ga Kirei “as the moon, so beautiful”
Really like the OP and ED for this show. Subtle and sweet. Some of the initial scenery art was really well done, but the shading tone changes (especially on the faces) from white as well as for the general white outlines on everything was a little distracting (to me anyway). Story wise, they were just trying to place the pairing into their general surroundings and have them meet each other. Not to much in the way of disposition/personality as of yet, but they did have the main pair meet and place the idea of them hooking up (inside their own minds), but in an awkward kind of way because the MC is such a drag and doesn't talk much.... Either way, it was still pretty quiet and sweet way to present the ship.

From the first episode, this will be a slow and subtle romance show, with a more dramatic tone as it goes along because even in the moments of happiness portrayed, there was a feeling of melancholy in the tone. (at least to me) I'll keep watching as this has potential to be really a really sweet "romance," but I'll definitely have my guard up.

Just as an FYI in case you haven't looked too much into it, the series airing this spring is a spin-off series and not really connected to the first season (which is why it is not called "season 2." This show follows the boring, blond, OP Aiz and her crew as they explore the tower. The show still has some potential to be fun and interesting, but don't expect Bell, Hestia, or another epic minotaur fght.

Oh I know. But thanks for the headsup ^^

Cornbread78

Soooo As the moon, so beautiful is good? Great news! It was one of my anticipated titles. Checking it later today!

It's a completely different feel from everything else airing this season. It's very "quiet" and sweet, almost melancholy. Art is nice, but shading will take some getting used to. Not much for story as of yet, so this one was pretty slow to start.

zulux21

Its Shinkai's best movie. Good by his standards. Very beautiful, and not just the typical Shinkai way - some really great animation in there. If you already like Shinkai you will love it.

what if you feel like Shinkai's movies always feel the same and thus Voices of a Distant Star is his best work because it tells the same story that his other works tell just in a fraction of the time >.>

note I do still have a few other of his works to watch I am mostly referring to voices, place promised and 5CM which all feel like just reskins of the themes in voices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom