• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

LWA 14

Another good episode. Female Kamina has arrived.
I wonder what bullshit reason there will be for her to be evil, because right now her plan seems to be great.

Alice and Zouroku 02

No action, barely any CG, much cute.
Zourokus granddaugther is amusing.
Though you can smell the darkness and action coming from a mile away.

Bastard Teacher 02

I find it amusing that we're 2 episodes in and have had neither an opening nor ending.
Fun episode and of course Glenn turns out to be a hidden badass, because what else.
But ugh, fuck off with the rapey shit, that's the laziest and weakest writing to just make a random no-name come off as super evil and give the MC a hero moment.

Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? aka What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? aka SukaSuka 01

I guess this won the LN adaption lottery this season, because this looked great, had beautiful music, good direction (I really enjoyed the scene at the beginning where they walked through the town) and the material itself hits all the right notes for me as well.
More pls.

The kids are adorable.
1BEHK5q.jpg

Hellraider

Re Creators 01

I almost spit my drink when she used the sword and the rifle as a violin. Five minutes in and the series is already delivering more than I asked for!

John Blade

B000P6R5KC.jpg

Just finish watching Shinkon Gattai Godannar!! 2nd Season and have to say it's much better than the 1st season when I try to watch it last year. I guess the better character development (even though it's kinda shallow a bit) did help improve the people you're following (and help me like Anna a bit more than last season). Also, it feel like they tone down the sexual stuff a bit but I guess the engaging story make me not notice those when watching it. Have to say the story is much better develop here and keep me engage right up to the end of the final battle. Unfortunately, the last episode is a joke as a way to conclude a positive tone of the show which did get depressing and serious when you found out the virus and how it affect the characters.

Even if you hate those, the fight scene with the robot for the most part work and look interesting. It get epic near the end when big battle keep on happen back to back non stop. Still, as a show with this sexual stuff, it might be harder to get people to watch it with you but you stick with it, it does get better and the story is very esay to understand (even if it feel a bit basic in some way).

Well, I need to get though my big on hold show, Golgo 13 which will be interesting to see if I can get though this by the end of this month. Also, I need to start to see what show I should watch as I have feel need to get done soon.

Goddannar is a great show , a nice easy entry for people seeking to see what the super robo genre is. So old school. it makes 99% of the anime charm.

Lifeline

I asked for Crunchyroll English dub recommendations in the last thread, and I actually couldn't find a lot of the stuff recommended with dubs on there. I found two that I started watching: Blue Exorcist and Full Metal Brotherhood. The dubs for both have mostly been great, I think plant girl from Blue Exorcist has been the most annoying.

I started out liking FMB more, but I got to the episode with the
dog and girl merge
and it was just super depressing. So just sticking with Blue Exorcist for now, because i'm enjoying the more light-hearted approach.

I'm like midway through the first season for Blue, and the show's starting to get pretty creepy with sexualizing high school freshmen girls. Also that one teacher showed up, that doesn't wear a shirt. It doesn't even make sense, she's supposed to be a high ranking member of the Vatican and a high school teacher and she walks around with only a bra on.

I feel like the show is slowly turning into hentai.

One quick question, on Crunchyroll it shows Blue Exorcist as having two Season One's and one Season Two. Is the second season 1 just the second half of the first season or like extra episodes or something?

Line_HTX

2nd Season is the Kyoto Arc, and is half of the number of the 1st season, but the Kyoto Arc is canon and basically retconns the final 5 episodes or so of the 1st season.

Lifeline

Fanservice a little, hentai though? Not even a kiss, boob grab or anything like that from what I remember...

The last two episodes had a boob grab, a boob motorboating, and a boob headlock. The first dozen or so were fine, don't know what happened, maybe like a director change or something.

I can't believe the opening song to Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? is Scarborough Fair. For those that don't know, it's a Simon and Garfunkel song, but this version is by (I think) Sarah Brightman. Really good song by the way.

Jarmel

Banned
SukaSuka-1
I have to say that of all the shows I've watched this season, this probably has the most compelling setting and premise.
It's essentially following the last human being on Earth(?) in a world now filled with catpeople/trolls/goblins/faeries/frogwomen
. Narag won. There's some honest to god intrigue in regards to the setting.
How did humanity get wiped out? Who were they fighting? Why do the remaining monster people have to live in the sky now?
There's even a bunch of interesting questions pertaining to the main character and his background. Hopefully the show slowly delves into this and doesn't blow its wad all up front. I'm actually curious about the world they're in and that's a weird-ass feeling when watching a LN adaptation. It also helps that the main character isn't going to some form of high school. The writer is holding a lot back which I appreciate. I'm not exactly happy though about how sometimes the show spells out things that are already understood like the
narrator at the end making it crystal clear humanity is essentially extinct at this point when the audience can already infer that
The show has a somewhat dark undertone to it that's covered up by the comedy and jokes but I expect that to shift as it goes on.
The cold opening seems to imply that the female lead (I assume the blue haired girl shifts hair colors in battle) dies or is preparing to die. The main character is the last human alive and doesn't know what to do with himself and seemingly trapped in his mirings of the past. The children introduced in this episode are probably genetic experiments and might be used as soldiers later on
. Maybe melancholic is the way I would describe the atmosphere. It's the sort of show where you know things are going to go south in a really really bad way for the characters.
RX3rqn6.png

2017: The Year of Narag
Well this is by Satelight so the animation is probably going to go south too. The production reminds me a lot of Macross Delta surprisingly. Mainly due to the character animation as there's a lot of short cuts where the characters, especially the children, are full of life. I wonder if a number of the Macross Delta animators are working on this. The storyboarding is a bit better than I expected to such as using the wooden railguard to switch between scenes or the camera tracking where a character's focus is in a scene (not using DOF but rather through motion). Background art is fairly mediocre. I should also mention that I'm happy about the lack of CGI despite the occasional vehicle/ship shot. Now the music is going to be interesting in the sense that I expect there to be a lot of sharply divergent opinions in how it was handled early on with two back-to-back insert songs. Both songs are very good, the cover of Scarborough Fair in particular, but I think it will rub a number of people the wrong way. Well at least it's better than the stuff in Grimgar.
This was one of the stronger opening episodes I've seen this season. I expected it to be a lot worse considering how the first animated PV for it came out like two weeks ago. That and it being Satelight.

Cornbread78

The last two episodes had a boob grab, a boob motorboating, and a boob headlock. The first dozen or so were fine, don't know what happened, maybe like a director change or something.

Not that I even remember any of that, lol, however, you should be safe the rest of the way...
----------------------------

At least Jarmel sees it. This episode of Sukasuka was good!

Blood Blockade Battlefront episodes 1-9 - 9 episodes in and will probably watching the remaining three tonight during my break. Really fun series so far. My definite favorite episode so far has been the one focusing on Leo and the alien obsessed with hamburgers. You can tell the Director must have been a big Zap fan because dude definitely get a massive amount of focus in the series. I was hoping that Chain would eventually get a spotlight episode.

The burger episode was the only episode of that show I liked. I watched it all except for the last episode that took forever to come out and I didn't even know who Chain was.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can't believe the opening song to Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? is Scarborough Fair. For those that don't know, it's a Simon and Garfunkel song, but this version is by (I think) Sarah Brightman. Really good song by the way.

The opening to A Silent Voice will probably shock you more then.

Also, Scarborough Fair is much older than the Simon and Garfunkel's version.

petran79

Banned
I haven't watched it, but from what he has written, maybe the problem isn't that it doesn't have good production values, but it falls too much on talking heads and 'boring direction'?

More or less this.

It also matters that this is the first time I've watched a non-Ghibili Japanese animation movie on cinema. Last one was almost 12 years ago (Howl's Moving Castle). Also watched Spirited Away in early 2000. No anime screenings where I live. Since I am in London for a few days, decided to watch the last screening of the movie for this week. First time I watched anime with other people nearby. Could hear the sobs of other viewers around me.

What I mean is that it does not take advantage of cinema, like for example Ghibili movies. The level of detail and motion is missing that would make a difference. Here I felt that the visual impressions would be the same had I decided to watch the Blueray version instead. Something that would be unspeakable for a movie like Spirited Away. That cinema feeling still remains irreplaceable.

You're the only one I've seen who's made the complaint that A Silent Voice has notably poor production values. While I have unfortunately not had the chance to watch the film yet, given the excerpts I have been able to see in trailers I have to question your judgement here. Of course, Hyouka was itself at a cinematic level of presentation, but it doesn't appear that A Silent Voice is a notable regression from that, let alone KyoAni's other recent TV shows and movies.

The crowded culture festival moments in Hyouka were much better animated and presented than in Silent Voice crowded segments. Though Hyouka had more over the top expressions sometimes, while Silent Voice is more serious and calmer in tone.

I understand that this movie was first made with a domestic audience in mind and this approach would probably be much more effective had I seen this in Japan. Behind me were two Japanese girls watching and they seem to have liked it much more.

More or less this.

It also matters that this is the first time I've watched a non-Ghibili Japanese animation movie on cinema. Last one was almost 12 years ago (Howl's Moving Castle). Also watched Spirited Away in early 2000. No anime screenings where I live. Since I am in London for a few days, decided to watch the last screening of the movie for this week. First time I watched anime with other people nearby. Could hear the sobs of other viewers around me.

What I mean is that it does not take advantage of cinema, like for example Ghibili movies. The level of detail and motion is missing that would make a difference. Here I felt that the visual impressions would be the same had I decided to watch the Blueray version instead. Something that would be unspeakable for a movie like Spirited Away. That cinema feeling still remains irreplaceable.

The crowded culture festival moments in Hyouka were much better animated and presented than in Silent Voice crowded segments. Though Hyouka had more over the top expressions sometimes, while Silent Voice is more serious and calmer in tone.

I understand that this movie was first made with a domestic audience in mind and this approach would probably be much more effective had I seen this in Japan. Behind me were two Japanese girls watching and they seem to have liked it much more.

I can't speak directly to your critique since, again, I haven't been able to see the movie yet, but the unambitious film you describe is not the film I see in this trailer or read about in this post.

Quasar

Natsume S6.01 - New Natsume makes Quasar a happy boy. Nice little opening episode. I really could watch this show forever.

Quasar

The opening to A Silent Voice will probably shock you more then.

That was pretty shocking. Maybe the first anime I've seen with prominent western music like that.I'm so used to anime being used to sell new/current Japanese pop music.

KraytarJ

SukaSuka 1
A pretty dull beginning, not a big fan of the kids or the tone laid down here. But if things get dark, as that post-ED scene might suggest then I'll probably give it at least one more week.

That was pretty shocking. Maybe the first anime I've seen with prominent western music like that.I'm so used to anime being used to sell new/current Japanese pop music.

Anime has used Western music on numerous occasions: Serial Experiments Lain, Mushishi, Eden of the East, Hanada Shonen-Shi (featuring the Backstreet Boys!).

Quasar

Not sure if I saw references to it on ANN or here but I watched the first episode of Princess Lover and my overwhelming thought is "Why has so much effort gone into this?". I mean it's standard harem ecchi fare but the background art is good, the animation is dynamic and frequent, the writing is actually good in places and the music is well chosen to boot.

I mean the opening scenes having breakfast with the protagonists parents before they die is genuinely well done, a simple 4 minute scene where they share breakfast and their obvious affections for one another made their deaths feel more real than 99% of dead parents in anime. Of course it is an ecchi harem so I'm sure it will get stupid at some point but there seems to be more effort put in here than seems reasonable for the genre

Going to admit I liked this, and was pretty bummed by how the next show from the same creatives, Walkure Romanze, turned out poorer.

That said its a simple thing that some people try to do their best no matter what they are doing. Just because a budget is lower or its lower in status doesn't mean people try any less.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Fukumenkei Noise ep.1

Oh wow... What a treat this was.... Some of you will hate the production of this, others, that like dramatic love stories/romcoms, WATCH THIS NOW! Something really resonated here and it blew me away. Outstanding. Tuesdays are my favorite days of the season without a doubt. This was great, I mean, just great...

I pretty much stopped watching when they were trying to pass LA LA LA as actual singing.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Did Strike kill off Crunchyroll in a single season? Because I'm seeing all this anime that's not on Crunchy and the only thing worth watching on Crunchy is Uchouten.

John Blade

Goddannar is a great show , a nice easy entry for people seeking to see what the super robo genre is. So old school. it makes 99% of the anime charm.

I would agree as this might be a better way to get into Super Robo genre as the storyline and character development isn't hard to follow. In a way, it's simple to follow and still hit you hard with what they throw at you when watching. The only thing you need to worry is getting though the slow pace in the 1st season as nothing major really happen in the character development till near the end. Action wise, it's great to watch.

I am wondering if Super Robot Wars OG: Divine Wars is worth the watch. I play the GBA games and found out they is an anime with the same name.

All I see is butts there and am confused.
Oh...not a butts lover, well they is breast you can follow with
giphy.gif

If you're not a breast lover, then they is one for the flat board.
4758-395131184.png

Either way, worth the watch even though it's a bit old now.

Did Strike kill off Crunchyroll in a single season? Because I'm seeing all this anime that's not on Crunchy and the only thing worth watching on Crunchy is Uchouten.

Anime Strike picked up quite a bit, but from a cursory assessment Virgin Soul appears to be the only worthwhile show they're streaming (at least until Atom the Beginning starts) whereas Crunchyroll has Laughing Salesman, Boruto, Tsuki ga Kirei, Sakura Quest, among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom