• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
K-ON!! 23-24

Seeing the atmosphere Yamada brings to low-key hanging out and very gentle drama makes me more excited to watch her take on Silent Voice.

(I totally teared up with Azusa at the end there.)

duckroll

It's probably still my favorite ED since it came out.

It's really fucking good.

No. Perhaps you're thinking of FLCL 2.

Motohiro? Isn't he just working on Atom and then doing the FLCL 2 stuff?

I'm also not sure how involved Shiotani actually was in the second season considering he would have been busy largely with the movie at IG.

Ah I was thinking Atom, yes. Thanks Jarmel. I knew I remember him doing something, just misremembered what.

BEYBLADE VFORCE Episode 16
C9LRcDYXUAA-qLM.jpg:small

Ugh they should have had Wyatt involved a bit more than this. Seeing Kai having a friend thats not with the Bladebreakers actually made his character even better. Though perhaps his personality is what caused Wyatt to turn out like he did, sad. He just wanted Kai to notice him.

Hope we see more Wyatt.

Quasar

Hmm...new Timothy Zahn Star wars novel. Guess its time for a anime break.

Though I'm not sure I want to pollute the Thrawn story with the new continuity.

JulianImp

Berserk ('97) - #9-10
I still can't wrap my head around how in the world Guts didn't resent Gambino at all and admired him instead. They saved him as a kid or something all right, but then he was worked to death as a mercenary and, from what I could see in flashbacks, Gambino's pride after being wounded led to his attempt to take Guts' life and was what got himself killed. Guts to me almost feels like Mikazuki, in that he still has little to no desire to do things of his own will and just wants to follow others instead.

Griffith's arc is nice in that it finally established that the guy has big ambitions and lots of charisma, but doesn't really view any of his underlings (Guts included) as anything close to equals, let alone friends, though.

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. Episode 12 – Where the Bird Flies

Awesome ending, everything came together and so so surprising.

High school stories spinoff when. Prom king scene and also the one just taking photos of Jean was the most memorable moments of the whole anime.

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Completed

This was a fun series. Really enjoyed the three leads, Leo, Zapp, and Klaus. This was also the first time since I first watched Durarara where I felt the setting enhanced the experienced. I will be watching the second season when it starts later this year.

Hand Shakers Episode 12 – Shake the Hands [END]
C9LZqlvXsAA9oYK.jpg:small
C9Lanh0WsAAsZDQ.jpg:small

One final Tazuna smile to close us out and one epic colorful battle using the gears swords and this time with two swords. Koyori Tazuna make an awesome team and Im glad they evolved over the course of the series from a Tazuna led affair to a traditional hand shakers team. The smiles and confidence all over was pretty amazing and made me feel really good.

C9Lbdw0XUAADv8-.jpg:small
C9Lbdw1XkAAJY0G.jpg:small

Falling scene enhanced with some blur effects was also good and sparked their development further showing their control of the ziggurat environment to cater to their wills. Nice touch.

Ill miss Hand Shakers, it was a pretty wild ride though both action, but interactions, friendship making, bonds through adversity, and more. It will be hard for most other anime to be this good this year and to look as nice. Tazunan and Masaru are already favorite character designs, PreMemo is best card game (and best two episodes), and the OST was amazing. I cant wait to hear all the tracks on a CD.

10/10. ED is one of my most listened to songs this year too.

Tsuki ga Kirei 1

If I didn't already know, I would never in a million years have guessed this was directed by Seiji Kishi. I associate Kishi with either amusing low-brow comedy (in his earlier years) or less-than-no-effort game adaptations (in his more recent years). But this is a low-key, sensitive portrayal of middle schoolers on the cusp of puberty and the first budding of potential romance among them, with naturalistic dialogue and direction and delicate character animation that pays a lot of attention to nuanced body language. The way the show is content to peacefully yet keenly observe the characters greatly appeals to me. From beginning to end there's a keen awareness of mundane humanity, especially the turbulent yet gentle spirits struggling to navigate social interactions and their own feelings. The material here, such as the scene in the bookstore in which the boy's eyes are tempted by the gravure magazine, is handled way better than most anime. The backgrounds and composite are somewhat inconsistent, with some digital clumsiness or blandness juxtaposed against beautiful moments, and going back and forth between CG and 2D crowds is not perfectly handled, but overall I'm rather impressed with the production. Hopefully the quality can keep up.

I think i saw while checking out future releases that HandShakers has an unaired episode coming out in July, so.... the apocalypse can hit after that arrives I guess.

Edit: I also kinda disagree that the season is weak, at least from a first episode stand point. There's about 13 shows I'd say range from excellent to great to decent right now. It's not an amazing season, but I think it's pretty good from my POV, better than Winter anyway. Though I'm sure some of these will drop off a cliff.

WorldEnd: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (aka SukaSuka) 1

The opening and ending scenes were both great, and definitely help set a melancholic mood for the series. The beginning in particular was a great hook. The episode did a good job of introducing enough while also leaving you with a few questions to linger on.

Animation, direction and music were all top notch so far. And I'm glad to see that the original author is super hands on with this, hopefully that means they can keep up the quality for the story.

DiGiKerot

I can't speak directly to your critique since, again, I haven't been able to see the movie yet, but the unambitious film you describe is not the film I see in this trailer or read about in this post.

It is true that A Silent Voice generally, in terms of animation, doesn't look as consistent as some of KyoAni's TV work in Hyouka or Eupho. A lot of that is a deliberate effort of restraint on behalf of the staff, though - being excessively showy would be against the tone of the content, and the staff have even talked at length in interviews about how they adjusted their usual character colouring and photography practice to give things a more muted, less hyper-real feeling. A lot of the movie is dealing with introverts, and it does a lot to deliberately narrow, rather than enlarge, the field of vision. Having a festival scene be as visually busy as in Hyouka would, also run counter to the nature of the content. If you are viewing cinematic quality as something derived from scope, depth or field of vision, it's not really the film to go to.

That being said, I've seen the movie three times at this point, and there's only one cut of animation in the whole thing that strikes me as anything less than impressive. If the animation is disappointing, I think it speaks more to the quality of the stuff Kyoto is throwing out for TV than it necessarily does A Silent Voices merit as a theatrical feature - it's still way better than most the theatrical fare I see in a given year. Can't really fault the character acting either.

(It's also one of the most meticulously directed things I've seen in years, but that's probably a discussion for when the BDs come out)

duckroll

I can't speak directly to your critique since, again, I haven't been able to see the movie yet, but the unambitious film you describe is not the film I see in this trailer or read about in this post.

I was about to go into why I can agree with a take that the film is "unambitious" with regards to how it tells the story and what it does with characters, but then I went back to read what you were replying to and lmao no.

A Silent Voice absolutely has theatrical anime production values. It's on show everywhere for those who would notice these things. The difference I guess, is that it is almost entirely about character animation and subtle physical motions. Everything from how people walk, how they turn, the mannerisms different people make to express their feelings, the sign language, etc. It's super duper well animated. That is the last thing I would critique the film for.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The best piece of movie animation I've seen on the big screen is The Mystical Laws.

The
skeleton warriors
were *that gesture where you open your index and middle finger and thumb while moving away from your mouth to imply something is magnificent* magnificent.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
In one show, mofus are discriminated against by humans.

In another show, humans are discriminated against by mofus.

thinking.gif

WorldEnd etc ep 1
Well this was lovely, the kids are super cute and it is more or less guaranteed I'll be bawling my eyes out at some point if that clear threat from the prologue pans out. Ctholly, Nygglatho, do you think the author likes Lovecraft a bit too much or what?

petran79

Banned

Movie and trailer are far from unambitious. If you get a chance to watch it on cinema (hope you do), then you'll see my complaints, while enjoying the movie. Now there is no point really.
I was just hoping that with an international cinema release, they'd add some more flavour. But perhaps this direction was what made the movie unique in the first place.
It is a feat this movie got a release internationally, competing with CGI behemoths or Ghibili pre-conceptions.

Jintor

Aside from the fact that DTL is really funny and entertaining when he's not posting eye cancer inducing screens, I cannot in good faith put anyone on ignore because people can't put me on ignore.

amazingly fair from neogaf's resident ducktroll-in-chief

Quasar

I was about to go into why I can agree with a take that the film is "unambitious" with regards to how it tells the story and what it does with characters, but then I went back to read what you were replying to and lmao no.

A Silent Voice absolutely has theatrical anime production values. It's on show everywhere for those who would notice these things. The difference I guess, is that it is almost entirely about character animation and subtle physical motions. Everything from how people walk, how they turn, the mannerisms different people make to express their feelings, the sign language, etc. It's super duper well animated. That is the last thing I would critique the film for.

And how the character animation relates to the sound and the sound environment of different characters. I was really impressed by the use of sound, but maybe that was just because I was paying a lot of attention to that given it's subject matter. Of which I was really impressed by Saori Hayami, she did great as a deaf girl.

Sure it may not be as pretty as Sound Euphonium or Hyouka, but really it was a deliberate choice for a more grounded look that it was any kind of failing on kyoanis part.

I think I need a rewatch though, to pay more attention to the visual aspects. Hopefully I get a chance before the Australian run is over.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 2:

Well, in case you dobuted that they put out all the stops for the first episode, this episode looks a lot flatter; to the point where I am half sure that this was outsourced. Anyway, this would also be the true establishing episode for Boruto and his Ninja School cast and there is much more to be said there save for the fact that the coattail commentary feels a bit on the metatextual side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom