• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shuumatsu Nani 01

C9MzP1pXkAAH-La.jpg
C9MzP1jXcAApGb7.jpg

Nygglatho makes me feel funny despite the fact her suggestive talk about eating Willem was her talking about LITERALLY eating him. His interactions with the kids were cute and humorous. I've got a good feeling about this show so far.

petran79

Banned
I was about to go into why I can agree with a take that the film is "unambitious" with regards to how it tells the story and what it does with characters, but then I went back to read what you were replying to and lmao no.

A Silent Voice absolutely has theatrical anime production values. It's on show everywhere for those who would notice these things. The difference I guess, is that it is almost entirely about character animation and subtle physical motions. Everything from how people walk, how they turn, the mannerisms different people make to express their feelings, the sign language, etc. It's super duper well animated. That is the last thing I would critique the film for.

As a Japanese animation movie it sure has those values. The issue I had was that as it mostly happens with Japanese animated movies, it takes directing and visual elements of TV animation. What works on TV screen is not guaranteed to work on big screen and vice versa.
It is like comparing Oshi's Ghost in the Shell movies to SAC TV series. Or Blood Last Vampire Movie with Blood TV. Even if the latter had a cinema adaptation, you'd see TV series influence all over it. Or like it happened with the Suzumiya movie.Havent seen it but I read it had similar issues.
If I hadnt seen a ton of anime before, I'd really struggle to like it when compared to other 2d animated features, mostly from Europe.

It is true that A Silent Voice generally, in terms of animation, doesn't look as consistent as some of KyoAni's TV work in Hyouka or Eupho. A lot of that is a deliberate effort of restraint on behalf of the staff, though - being excessively showy would be against the tone of the content, and the staff have even talked at length in interviews about how they adjusted their usual character colouring and photography practice to give things a more muted, less hyper-real feeling. A lot of the movie is dealing with introverts, and it does a lot to deliberately narrow, rather than enlarge, the field of vision. Having a festival scene be as visually busy as in Hyouka would, also run counter to the nature of the content. If you are viewing cinematic quality as something derived from scope, depth or field of vision, it's not really the film to go to.

That being said, I've seen the movie three times at this point, and there's only one cut of animation in the whole thing that strikes me as anything less than impressive. If the animation is disappointing, I think it speaks more to the quality of the stuff Kyoto is throwing out for TV than it necessarily does A Silent Voices merit as a theatrical feature - it's still way better than most the theatrical fare I see in a given year. Can't really fault the character acting either.

(It's also one of the most meticulously directed things I've seen in years, but that's probably a discussion for when the BDs come out)

Sure, I can see A Silent Voice having less melodramatically exaggerated animation than Hyouka often has, but I'm not sure that makes it worse animation. I appreciate nuanced character animation that concentrates on careful body language, even if it isn't as flashy as the animation that often grabs people's attention, such as Okiura's style of realistic animation in the Cowboy Bebop movie OP or Jin-Roh. Of course, as you say, the best of KyoAni's TV work is already operating on a cinematic level - they have such good and unique production organization to begin with that the advantage in terms of time and animators anime movies normally have over TV isn't there.

When I think of anime "movies" that aren't really operating on a cinematic level, I think of something like Black Butler: Book of Atlantic, which Funimation played a trailer for before the screening of Your Name I went to. That film, while it looks to have some decent action animation cuts, doesn't look any more ambitious in terms of visual style than an average decently produced TV anime.

I'm a bit surprised you're excited about Pop Team Epic, any reason aside from its sense of humor?

"Excited" would be the wrong word; I'm not as hooked on Pop Team Epic's eccentric style of humor as many people I know are. But with Kamikaze Douga handling the animation, I am very curious to see how the anime ends up looking.

As a Japanese animation movie it sure has those values. The issue I had was that as it mostly happens with Japanese animated movies, it takes directing and visual elements of TV animation. What works on TV screen is not guaranteed to work on big screen and vice versa.
It is like comparing Oshi's Ghost in the Shell movies to SAC TV series. Or Blood Last Vampire Movie with Blood TV. Even if the latter had a cinema adaptation, you'd see TV series influence all over it. Or like it happened with the Suzumiya movie.Havent seen it but I read it had similar issues.
If I hadnt seen a ton of anime before, I'd really struggle to like it when compared to other 2d animated features, mostly from Europe.

Japanese animation and European(/American) animation have developed quite distinct approaches to animation technique. If you think that constant motion is necessary to be considered well animated, such as the animators I've seen who think that animation that goes off ones immediately loses "the illusion of life" and completely falls apart, I can understand where you are coming from, even if I disagree. I'm not sure what kind of "directing and visual elements" you're referring to if it's not animation fluidity though.

Boruto episode 2 explained what chakra was, strange....I guess theyre trying to appeal to new folks?
Great news for folks like me, as I mentioned on my first episode's impressions. What you just said only makes me want to double down on the fact that yes, now I'm finally gonna watch something that is set in this world. Jumping in prior to this point was just way too scary lol.

DiGiKerot

Sure, I can see A Silent Voice having less melodramatically exaggerated animation than Hyouka often has, but I'm not sure that makes it worse animation. I appreciate nuanced character animation that concentrates on careful body language, even if it isn't as flashy as the animation that often grabs people's attention, such as Okiura's style of realistic animation in the Cowboy Bebop movie OP or Jin-Roh. Of course, as you say, the best of KyoAni's TV work is already operating on a cinematic level - they have such good and unique production organization to begin with that the advantage in terms of time and animators anime movies normally have over TV isn't there.

Oh, absolutely no disagreement from me on any of this, particularly the later point. Largely just wanted to say that if there's nothing that blows you away visually in the same way as, say, Oreki being ensnared in a web of Chitandas hair, or Kumiko running over the Uji bridge (even if there's an arguably similar scene), it's entirely by design. It's not the material for pulling those kinds of visual tricks, at least in the fashion that they've edited it for the movie. if the moment to moment normal scenes don't look as impressive as compatible scenes in Eupho, it's also entirely by design for the same reasons. I sure don't want to imply that I don't think it isn't well animated, as that sure isn't the truth (well, aside from one cut on the roller coaster that looks awkward enough that I'm repeatedly surprised made it into the film)

That said, I don't think not being overly showy doesn't make it cinematic or theatrical or whatever. One of the reasons I think A Silent Voice absolutely works as a movie over a TV show is that there's an impressive level of thematic consistency to the visuals which would be difficult to enforce over an entire TV show even produced at KyoAni. It's pretty clear Yamada has touched the whole thing. It's just that she's been comparatively restrained about the whole thing (and if you don't find shots of knees doing most the acting, well...)

Line_HTX

Shuumatsu Nani 01

Nygglatho makes me feel funny despite the fact her suggestive talk about eating Willem was her talking about LITERALLY eating him. His interactions with the kids were cute and humorous. I've got a good feeling about this show so far.

God, fuck Lovecraft names, lol

Shuumatsu 1 - Damn if Inoue Kikuko doesn't make me feel ummm things. Worth it just for her.

Oh shit, she's in this? Fucking sweet.

Syrinx

Hinako Note 1

This is supposed to be Tokyo, right?

I think they portrayed it as way more...quaint than they should have.

Rewatched Overlord again and I realised that Aoi Yuuki as Clementine is precisely the kind of maniacal villain ham I enjoy, unfortunately I can't really tell from ANN or MAL which of her other roles indulge that talent (I did learn she was Madoka though). Any other recommendations for Aoi Yuuki as villain?

Ascheroth

Rewatched Overlord again and I realised that Aoi Yuuki as Clementine is precisely the kind of maniacal villain ham I enjoy, unfortunately I can't really tell from ANN or MAL which of her other roles indulge that talent (I did learn she was Madoka though). Any other recommendations for Aoi Yuuki as villain?

Saga of Tanya the Evil / Youjo Senki is like 100% what you want.

Cornbread78

Nana ep.28
Oh Hachi, you are a dirty, dirty woman. Your need to for attention and affection is unbelievable... Less than a day later from banging
Takumi
and now your
banging Nobu?
Damn girl....

so i saw Your Name yesterday, wow that movie is amazing!! It started pretty slow, but when that middle act starts you just go WTF! one of my favorite movies this year so far along with Logan and Get Out, hell I'd probably say its my 2nd favorite one.

Cornbread78

Her desperation is like Yukari's desperate need for affection in Paradise Kiss.

:lol

Thanks for reminding me that I still need to finish that one as well. I stopped at ep.6 when she
lost her virginity to George
that was such an awkward scene the way it was presented. I mean, it felt "real" but it made me feel really, really bad for her at the same time..

Saga of Tanya the Evil / Youjo Senki is like 100% what you want.

Oh really? Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to have to have another look see then, kind of bounced off the first ten minutes when the magic showed up but if I gave Izetta 5 or 6 episodes before accepting it was a boring and bad show I can certainly give this a bit more time.

Chase17

Boruto 2
Good episode. Did a nice job of introducing mostly everyone. Although Metal Lee gets his time next week, and Mitsuki is still a bit away. I guess we are to believe that Iwaba is Kawaki?

petran79

Banned
Japanese animation and European(/American) animation have developed quite distinct approaches to animation technique. If you think that constant motion is necessary to be considered well animated, such as the animators I've seen who think that animation that goes off ones immediately loses "the illusion of life" and completely falls apart, I can understand where you are coming from, even if I disagree. I'm not sure what kind of "directing and visual elements" you're referring to if it's not animation fluidity though.

Not even Japanese movies have to follow the same principles. Eg there are vast differences in approach between Whisper of the Heart, Tokyo Godfathers and a Silent Voice. Even though all three have elements of magical realism. I prefer the approach of the first two but also respect the Koe one, even though they are from a different animation school.

Cornbread78

H.S. DxD New ep.9-END + OVA
Meh, the ending of this season was alright, but wasn't as entertaining as I thought it would be. Gasper was of course the effeminate male they had to add to the tropey cast of characters.

Now the OVA was so stupid I laughed the whole time....

duckroll

I don't disagree that A Silent Voice feels like a bunch of TV episodes condensed together. That has nothing to do with production values or animation quality, or comparing it to Hyouka's festival though. It just felt like one because it kept telling slices of stories strung together rather than a single large story with momentum. But... that's just what the story is I guess, it's an adaptation after all.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 31

7bXZPLk.png

jQjnBtm.png

tZDzgWb.png

In this episode of G Gundam, one of the characters has to face a clown piloting a clown gundam, which is a problem because they were seperated from their mother after an attack from a terrorist clown cell and now has clown phobia. In case you weren't familiar with G Gundam.

I liked that Rain refused to help Chibodee towards the end. They are on seperate teams after all.

Cornbread78

Sakura Quest ep.2
Meh, I got a couple chuckles out of this during the constant fails, but it was pretty boring, IMO. At least we got to meet a couple new interesting characters along the way that should become mainstays..

KraytarJ

Sakura Quest 2
Yoshino's trials as queen are just great. Seeing everyone come together to sell some stupid cookies was very pleasant.

Ascheroth

ID-0

This was good. This was damn good.
Space pirate mineral excavators in mechs? (Well, technically transferred consciousness into robot bodies, but you get the idea.)
Hell yeah.

Might be my favorite OP of the season too, so far at least.

Cornbread78

So what's good so far this season? Watching AoT, Academia, and Bahamut at the moment.

I found the below to have strong openings:

Love Tyrant
Grimoire of Zero
Alice to Zouroku
Tsukigakirei
WorldEnd: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (a.k.a: sukasuka)
Eccentric Family

Cornbread78

Armed Girl's Machiavellism ep.2
I mean, no doubt this is trash, but at least it’s entertaining trash even with its battle of the week format….

ID-0

This was good. This was damn good.
Space pirate mineral excavators in mechs? (Well, technically transferred consciousness into robot bodies, but you get the idea.)
Hell yeah.

Might be my favorite OP of the season too, so far at least.

I wonder if ID and the dude in the red mech lost their real bodies since their human forms don't show up in the OP and they're forever stuck in the robots. Maybe the whole thing is a metaphor for robots being an extension of the human self or evolution something like that.

GjGES4X.jpg

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 31

In this episode of G Gundam, one of the characters has to face a clown piloting a clown gundam, which is a problem because they were seperated from their mother after an attack from a terrorist clown cell and now has clown phobia. In case you weren't familiar with G Gundam.

I liked that Rain refused to help Chibodee towards the end. They are on seperate teams after all.

I don't know how it is in the Japanese version, but in the English dub, Chibodee's mother's lullaby is America the Beautiful. He is a true patriot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUkrGY7KAmA&t=3m14s

Ascheroth

I wonder if ID and the dude in the red mech lost their real bodies since their human forms don't show up in the OP and they're forever stuck in the robots. Maybe the whole thing is a metaphor for robots being an extension of the human self or evolution something like that.
Yeah, I was thinking the same. About the first part, that is : P

Armed Girls Machiavellism 02

Trash, but entertaining.

Sakurada Reset 02, minute 5

Nah, there's only so much I can suspend my disbelief, even in a show with supernatural abilites. Dropped.

Remember last episodes stinger?
That the little girl is supposed to be dead?
Kei answered this in the first minute:
She is a clone created by the ability of her mother, which she got after the death of her real daughter.
Fuck that shit. How does someone even realistically come to this conclusion??
Someone tell me if this gets explained later down the line, but that's just too big of a leap in logic for me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sakura Quest Episode 2:

Well then, it looks like we have our five girl band gathered, of for no other reason then as much as this show is trying otherwise, being stuck in a rural shithole that nobody visits give you time on the hands.

Cornbread78

Sakurada Reset ep.2
This show is confusing as well on a few different levels. IT is certainly dialog based and they are trying to force you to think about what is going on, more then experience it through their actions. While I can appreciate that presentation style, it isn't answering many questions about how these abilities work and how the "rules" fully apply. I'll keep watching because it is interesting material, but they need a more clear plot direction. Maybe they will add one now that
They just made a 2 year time skip after the girl that was thirsty for the MC dies and they were unable to reset time...

Joe Molotov

Sakura Quest Episode 2:

Well then, it looks like we have our five girl band gathered, of for no other reason then as much as this show is trying otherwise, being tuck in a rural shithole that nobody visits give you time on the hands.

Cute Girls Doing Cute Things in a Rural Shithole is my favorite subgenre.

Clov

I just got my blu-ray of Horus: Prince of the Sun in the mail. I'm very curious to see the restoration; I've not heard good things, but apparently it's not an upscale like a lot of people thought it was. Rather, it was restored from an old interpositive. It likely won't look the best, though if Toei was using that film source instead of upscaling, there's a good chance that it's the best condition they'll be able to get it in. In any case, I'm looking forward to rewatching the film, and maybe checking out some of the extras that Discotek put on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom