• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
The visuals just weren't up to my male fanservice standards :/

Actually checking them again....those designs in anime form are kind of awful.

Girls beats boys was on my plan to watch list! Good to know it's fun.

They're not great, then again I'm neutral on male fan service. I asked my wife if she'd follow it like I did One Room, out of curiousity, and she just made such a disgusted face lol.

And yeah girls beats boys was surprisingly fun.

John Blade

Going through Golgo 13 right now and have a feeling I might get though this show in few days from now and was wondering what show I should watch based on the list. Also, I am looking for few shows to watch during a 14+ hours flight + waiting in the airport for a transfer flight. Guess I could ask here based on the list below.

Shows to watch now till the end of the month,

Shows to watch during flight oversea

List of shows.

Amagami SS Collection (SS,SS OVA,SS+)
Gunbuster Collection (Gunbuster 1 & 2)
Kamichu
Mars Day Break
Rahxephon The Movie
Summer Wars
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
Wolf Children

Cornbread78

Casshern ep.5
FMExWsV.png
Life is suffering for poor Casshern. He can't even let himself be killed off. Pure isolation.... At least a new antagonist has stepped forward.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Alice & Zouroku 01
This is one of the most poorly directed shows I have seen in quite some time. I really just can't find stuff this season that is above passable.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Grimoire of Zero 1

So far the least offensive of this season's LN trash.

Cornbread78

Midori Days ep.9
The show is dancing around spending more time with side characters than it needs to, but still some fun stuff in this episode.

Planetarian - Hoshi no Hito
ekNrfPt.jpg

Always a fan of the "passing onto the next generation" stories

Still my favorite Key work, I'm pretty happy with how this turned out. Basically a fitting conclusion to the OVA episodes, woven into it for a movie format. It felt very obvious how it would end, but that ending scene still got me pretty deeply.

Cornbread78

Chaika S2 ep.3
Red Chaika is back finally and, of course, brought chaos with her. Well, not that White Chaika's impatience helped this situation.

Beyblade VForce Episode 17 Hilary's Bey-B-Cue

The Bladebreakers team breakup scene was so cheesy, all the dramatic Tyson yelling, Ray going all thats uncalled for, Chief getting agitated and thankfully Hilary there to try to keep them together. Funniest was at the Bey-B-Cue when they thought Tyson was going to not enjoy it...but turned out he was just extremely hungry, I love Tyson antics.

Needed more Kai :(

Planetes 7

Much better. In fact, probably the best episode so far. Not that I'm opposed to eccentric humor, but this show seems to do better when it leans into its more serious and grounded side than its more wacky insane people side. This episode in particular featured really good direction, with keen attention to subtle body language, including enough shots of legs to make you think it was storyboarded by Naoko Yamada. I appreciated how it demonstrated that Tanabe was jealous of Nono's relationship with Hachimaki through her behavior and body language without feeling the need to explicitly come out and say it.

I still find Tanya kind of underwhelming, but I got to admit....episode 11 was pretty cool. That gun fight was amazing!

That reminds me that I should watch this episode sometime, for Yuzuru Tachikawa's sake.

So is Sakura Quest the second coming of Shirobako or not? Seems most people are saying no?
It's about what I expected. Shirobako was also pretty slow in the beginning. I think the subject matter won't be as interesting as Shirobako's, but it still has the same kind of charm. Things will probably pick up now that the main cast has been introduced

Twin Star Exorcists Episode 50 – Twin Stars - Twins [END]
https://twitter.com/sukeno0723/status/847025918589599744
tumblr_onkncgvW8k1vu3zkvo1_1280.jpg

Alright ending, could have reduced the everyone loaning their powers part for more epilogue to show even more characters or extensive scenes with them. They also could have brought back lol song (sync).

Already a manga reader and owner so it was pleasing. I had been hoping it would be animated someday, so I am pleased with what we got. Also never forget KENN.

Chaos;Child 12 END

Felt like they ran out of time. Also I hated the explanation and the "mind swords." Felt like I wasted my time with this show which started interesting but went downhill once swords and fighting got involved :(

KraytarJ

K-ON! the Movie
What a ride. From school life to London to the feels express. It was basically everything you could want out of a k-on movie. The charm, the humour, the low-key emotional investment, it was all there. I have to say I greatly enjoyed the English struggles and the focus on Azusa and Yui's relationship. Ending on Azusa's song was a perfect choice to wrap up the series, and it completely got me again.

Now to try and fill this new hole in my heart, I haven't been this bummed by an anime being done since sanfu, and while it may be cheating this was one of the best anime endings I've ever seen.

Chaos;Child 12 END

Felt like they ran out of time. Also I hated the explanation and the "mind swords." Felt like I wasted my time with this show which started interesting but went downhill once swords and fighting got involved :(

There's supposed to be an OVA that adapts the true ending coming later on, but the anime is just a bad adaptation of the source material. They still did better than Chaos;Head, but some of the important reveals were terribly botched. If anyone has any interest in it, just wait for a translation of the VN.

I would say that they should just leave White Fox in charge of Science Adventure franchise adaptations, but we'll have to see how they'll handle Steins;Gate 0

BluWacky

I would say that they should just leave White Fox in charge of Science Adventure franchise adaptations, but we'll have to see how they'll handle Steins;Gate 0

Was the Robotics;Notes anime a bad adaptation, or was the source material just not particularly exciting? I'm never going to be a fan of the Science Adventures due to their overindulgence in tedious otaku crap but Steins;Gate seems to be the only part of the franchise that people actually like...

Was the Robotics;Notes anime a bad adaptation, or was the source material just not particularly exciting? I'm never going to be a fan of the Science Adventures due to their overindulgence in tedious otaku crap but Steins;Gate seems to be the only part of the franchise that people actually like...

The actual Chaos;Child VN is well regarded.

Funimation announced the rest of their simuldub line-up and I'm kind of disappointed :/

They have(other then MHA and AoT)

Sakura Quest
Clockwork Planet
Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor
Alice & Zoroku
The Silver Guardian

I expected all of those except for Silver Guardian. Aside from Sakura Quest and Silver Guardian I'm not all that interested in checking out these dubs, although I still need to watch Alice & Zoroku.

On twitter they said that there's more to come, so hopefully WorldEnd and Kado are in the next batch of announcements.

The Royal Chibi Ep 2
I may be the problem with comedy anime but dammit well done chibi is great

Princess Lover 6-13
Watched these over the past few days and well the intense fan service in the ep 6 onsen episode is also where things started to go off the rails, the onsen episode got very meta with 4th wall breaking which worked well enough but wasn't enough to save the episode. After that the plot starts to exert itself too much with an odd tone where it veers from taking itself seriously with minutes of blather to undermining itself with a prat fall in a sort of poor "have your cake and eat it too" parody. The oddly well done writing touches fell away entirely too making the back half notably less interesting and the cost saving flashbacks, evident since ep 2, started to become more frequent. Couldn't recommend overall but that first half had enough oddly well written moments to prevent me from placing it straight in the bin

I noticed ANN staff (not one, but all them) gave high scores to the first episode of RE:Creators, from 4 to 5 stars.

Are they on crack or should I take a look into the series? I have no idea of what's about.

It's incredible how most of the anime this season that I wanted to check out is on freaking Amazon :/

I don't really want to subscribe to another service so I guess I'm just skipping them for now.

BluWacky

I noticed ANN staff (not one, but all them) gave high scores to the first episode of RE:Creators, from 4 to 5 stars.

Are they on crack or should I take a look into the series? I have no idea of what's about.

It's not particularly good; anime nerd accidentally transports heroine from his favourite anime into the real world, villainous battles ensue. However, it is perfectly competent and has a couple of more interesting touches than similar stories.

Oushitsu Kyoushi Haine 02

Whoever thought a cute boys and shota looking tutor show would be my surprise of the season so far? Been enjoying the tutor's interactions with the princes' and how they all aren't the asshole they at first appeared to be.

They usually justify the score they give well in those reviews, so unless you think what they wrote and the score given don't match up, you should give it a shot if you are interested.

Wife and I also reviewed it and I don't know that we'd give it a 5 or even a 4 (We just do Recommended, Take it or Leave it, and Not Recommended.) But we did enjoy it a lot. I'd call it stupid fun really. It's a meta idea with a few nice little visual gags and some fun writing peppered throughout the episode.

I liked Robotics;Notes the most, I wish it was liked more, it was such a good concept and it was done so well.

Cornbread78

Nana ep.29
That conversation between Junco and Kyosuke about Hachi was spot on and an excellent visualization of the type or relationship Hachi idealizes and strives for. She is in way over her head and this point, yet again...

Suplexer

I somehow convinced my SO to watch My Hero Academia with me, her first anime, and holy shit I am so happy that she liked it. She is like, obsessed with it. She has always had an ironic hate for anime, but it wasn't genuine enough to keep her from trying it.

Now comes the hard part, she wants to try more shows, but I am having trouble finding some. She cares tremendously about style, which Hero Academia has a ton of. Modern, slightly more realistic/proportional art styles, and colorful palettes. We are also trying to avoid shows that are too long, because we are both really busy with school and work.

Does anyone have suggestions? I thought about trying Hunter X Hunter and she was keen on the idea, but she was a bit put off by the art (not the animation, just the very "cartoony" style).

Maybe a romance show?

KraytarJ

I somehow convinced my SO to watch My Hero Academia with me, her first anime, and holy shit I am so happy that she liked it. She is like, obsessed with it. She has always had an ironic hate for anime, but it wasn't genuine enough to keep her from trying it.

Now comes the hard part, she wants to try more shows, but I am having trouble finding some. She cares tremendously about style, which Hero Academia has a ton of. Modern, slightly more realistic/proportional art styles, and colorful palettes. We are also trying to avoid shows that are too long, because we are both really busy with school and work.

Does anyone have suggestions? I thought about trying Hunter X Hunter and she was keen on the idea, but she was a bit put off by the art (not the animation, just the very "cartoony" style).

Maybe a romance show?
If you want a romance anime that looks nice you could go with Your Lie in April. It's 22 episode iirc and is quite beautiful both visually and tonally.

Jintor

wow. I don't even know what I would say is close to MHA in terms of visual style - it's very influenced by a kind of pop-american aesthetic seen through an japaneseanimation lens.

Maybe Space Dandy or Redline? Cowboy Bebop? Mob Psycho 100 if you can go really out there?

Maybe a romance show?

If style of that sort is the most important thing to her, I would suggest looking at the following anime:

Concrete Revolutio
Eccentric Family
Gankutsuou
Hozuki no Reitetsu
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Mob Psycho 100
Penguindrum
Ping Pong the Animation
Tatami Galaxy
Tsuritama

Maybe a romance show?
There is nothing really like MHA amazingly unique style...maybe Haikyu? Mob too I guess. While I did not like it Space Dandy does seem like a possible fit for a show full of style and colours.

It's the opposite in terms if colours, but Akira maybe.

But good on you for introducing MHA to your SO. Great choice.

Edit: Concrete Revolutio is a great rec too and I would had Barakamon and Poco Udon World

Suplexer

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I will send them her way and see which she likes.

I should clarify, it doesn't need to be MHA's style, just have a very strong visual presence. I want her to give Bakemonogatari a shot, because it's incredible, but it might be too strong.

Mob Psycho might work, and I would love to show her JoJo, but they might be too "anime" for someone new to the genre.

I have no idea how this idea will be received, but I might have her try Naruto. It's hard to beat the first few seasons for someone new to anime who liked the premise of MHA.

Line_HTX

Eromanga Sensei 01

It's mind-boggling how people forget to turn off the damn stream when they're done. Like, come on, it doesn't take 5 seconds to check if you're offline.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I will send them her way and see which she likes.

I should clarify, it doesn't need to be MHA's style, just have a very strong visual presence. I want her to give Bakemonogatari a shot, because it's incredible, but it might be too strong.

Mob Psycho might work, and I would love to show her JoJo, but they might be too "anime" for someone new to the genre.

I have no idea how this idea will be received, but I might have her try Naruto. It's hard to beat the first few seasons for someone new to anime who liked the premise of MHA.

OG Naruto is actually a really good pick! I would go with that if she likes the way the show looks. They share lots of things early on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom