• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mob Psycho might work, and I would love to show her JoJo, but they might be too "anime" for someone new to the genre.

Anime isn't really a genre but a medium - it's just animation from Japan after all - although there are certain genres of storytelling that are particularly prevalent due to their appeal among the core anime audience (e.g., transported to a fantasy/game world). At any rate, I don't think Mob or Jojo rely on anything that requires prior familiarity with anime to appreciate. They're eccentric in their own ways, but not in otaku-centric ways.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I will send them her way and see which she likes.

I should clarify, it doesn't need to be MHA's style, just have a very strong visual presence. I want her to give Bakemonogatari a shot, because it's incredible, but it might be too strong.

Mob Psycho might work, and I would love to show her JoJo, but they might be too "anime" for someone new to the genre.

I have no idea how this idea will be received, but I might have her try Naruto. It's hard to beat the first few seasons for someone new to anime who liked the premise of MHA.

Isnt Naruto a bit too long.

I would also suggest, Guilty Crown and Hand Shakers and NagiAsu.

Capra

The Ancient Magus' Bride: Those Awaiting a Star Part 1
46lD4kf.jpg

I like the The Ancient Magus' Bride manga... A lot, actually. Somehow, the OVA completely slipped past my radar so when I saw parts 1 & 2 on Crunchyroll I rushed to watch them.

The animation on display here is pretty fantastic all-around. You can tell a lot of love and care went into every shot. The first episode devotes a lot of time to just lounging in the scenery which might put some people off, but as an adaptation of the manga it's spot-on. Any Ghibli fans can tell they took a lot of inspiration from the feel of Miyazaki's works, which similarly spend a lot of time immersing the viewer in their scenery (actually, one of the demons seems to be a pretty blatant reference to No Face).

Those unfamiliar with the manga might feel confused because the OVA doesn't really spend any time giving background information before throwing the viewer into its fairy-tale world (i.e. who Elias is, why Ruth is a dog and also a boy, what a Sleigh Beggy/Slay Vega is, why there are so many fucking sheep-bugs just hanging around). Quickly enough though, it transitions into the flashback that makes up the actual story of this OVA and the rest of the story is a prequel of sorts.

The Ancient Magus' Bride: Those Awaiting a Star Part 2

The plot really picks up in this episode - devoting almost its entire runtime to Chise's flashback. The animation continues to be stunningly-beautiful, while the story treads the line between hopeful fairytale and inevitable tragedy. I mentioned that both this and the manga took a lot of influence from Miyazaki's works and that's definitely true, but the more European influence and darker tones do a lot to distinguish TAMB as its own thing.

At the time of watching, I didn't realize this was actually a 3-part OVA, with the conclusion arriving in... August (at least it's consistent with the release schedule of its source material). Part 2 ends on a hell of a cliffhanger, so anyone interested should be aware of that. But in any case, both parts released so far are definitely worth a watch for anyone looking for a dark fairytale with some beautiful animation.

Interviews with Monster Girls - Completed

Ended up watching the dub of it and the last episode released today. I checked this show out because of all the gifs of it and it ended up being ok. Hikari was the best character in the series. It did delve into some skeevy territory sometimes. It wants to be a "Cute girls doing cute things" show while at the same time indulging in some blatant fanservice. Nothing overly offensive though.

Cornbread78

Midori Days ep,10-END
Very cute ending, however, the show never did give Midori
What the show alluded to, which was kiss from her "prince," nor did it actually have Seiji-kun say "I Love You"
kind of glaring omissions with the events that happened leading up to the finale. Overall the show had some good comedy and some light-hearted moments, the mood never felt too "heavy" and it was a pleasant watch, I just wish it stuck to and followed through with the main ship more.. Might just be me being picky though, lol.

How did Line get banned?? He's like the last person on this forum I would suspect of doing anything ban worthy.

Edit: Seems like hockey is Line's trigger.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'd say anime is more toxic. Always reading stories about how anime fans beat each other up when they go to conventions because they see someone who supports the opposite show. Don't let the iM@S fans see the Love Live fans or there's murder in the street.

You never read anything like that when it comes to sports.

Berserk 14
download.png
download_1.png

I don't know, I think Gorsuch would be pretty cool with this.

This was probably one of the better episodes of this adaptation, but it still suffered from the same pacing problem. Simply put, there's no time to take in anything in this show. The show rockets ahead at such a speed there's no impact to anything. No moment to digest anything. This episode feels like it had the content of two and a half episodes mushed into one.

blurr

I saw line outrage on twitter, I have no idea what the Sharks are but it was a good outrage.

I'd say anime is more toxic. Always reading stories about how anime fans beat each other up when they go to conventions because they see someone who supports the opposite show. Don't let the iM@S fans see the Love Live fans or there's murder in the street.

I've seen the same happen to fans of regional film actors too. I'm not even being ironic.

One time in 1969 El Salvador and Honduras went to war over a football (soccer) game.

Obviously the roots go way deeper then that but the football game was Archduke in that situation.

Still nothing compared to the idol wars.

I hope that new Shaft online shop will have some high-res prints of the many top class artworks from Zetsubou Sensei and Monogatari at some point.

BluWacky

Please don't tell me you went all the way out to the Cotswolds just to see a farm from an anime... the area's beautiful! I'm moving to about an hour's drive away from there in September.

At least when I got a photo of the Meriken Park ferris wheel from one of the best episodes of Arjuna (shut up I know) I was going to Kobe anyway...

JulianImp

Comparing anime shipping and show wars with the likes of football (soccer) hooligans and other such groups involved in pretty violent and shady things, now I've seen it all...

Expecting it to be a /s post, but I'd like to point that there's a reason why football stadiums forbid entrance to away team spectators a couple years ago in my country and haven't even lifted the ban after all this time, and it's that hooligans were killing each other (as well as innocent bystanders) for a freaking sports match.

We aren't talking fans going too far in small numbers, but rather hundreds of belligerent sports fans hulring stones, flares (especially when aimed at large banners) and even shooting each other for the sake of inter-club rivalry or that they think the referee made some crooked ruling during the match.

Again, that probably was a joke, but I'd like to avoid such innocent comparisons when it's known some sports are plagued by groups that are mobsters in all but name. I've even heard that Argentine hooligans sometimes "tax" their own teams' players' or coaches' salaries.

Cornbread78

Tsuki ga Kirei ep.2
There is such a soft and sweet tone to this show. While is may be really slow for some to watch, they do a great job mixing in the OST with everything going with the MC and Akane to really set to mood. Even when they characters are really uncomfortable, they do a great job supporting that through the animation with expression and body language.

Please don't tell me you went all the way out to the Cotswolds just to see a farm from an anime... the area's beautiful! I'm moving to about an hour's drive away from there in September.

At least when I got a photo of the Meriken Park ferris wheel from one of the best episodes of Arjuna (shut up I know) I was going to Kobe anyway...

I went to Bibury and Cirencester and had a look as well!

Also shown in the same anime ;p

Comparing anime shipping and show wars with the likes of football (soccer) hooligans and other such groups involved in pretty violent and shady things, now I've seen it all...

Expecting it to be a /s post, but I'd like to point that there's a reason why football stadiums forbid entrance to away team spectators a couple years ago in my country and haven't even lifted the ban after all this time, and it's that hooligans were killing each other (as well as innocent bystanders) for a freaking sports match.

We aren't talking fans going too far in small numbers, but rather hundreds of belligerent sports fans hulring stones, flares (especially when aimed at large banners) and even shooting each other for the sake of inter-club rivalry or that they think the referee made some crooked ruling during the match.

Again, that probably was a joke, but I'd like to avoid such innocent comparisons when it's known some sports are plagued by groups that are mobsters in all but name. I've even heard that Argentine hooligans sometimes "tax" their own teams' players' or coaches' salaries.

You should study BGBW's post history.

The Laughing Salesman Episode 2
download.png

This show does work better when viewing it as a critique of Japanese culture, business culture particularly.

Wonder what's up with the reoccurring bartender.

sonicmj1

I noticed ANN staff (not one, but all them) gave high scores to the first episode of RE:Creators, from 4 to 5 stars.

Are they on crack or should I take a look into the series? I have no idea of what's about.

You could read their reviews?

Anyway, RE: Re:Creators' creators, series director Ei Aoki helmed Fate/Zero and Aldnoah.Zero, with Black Lagoon author Rei Hiroe doing the writing and character design. The first episode reflects that lineage. The real question is whether the dynamic action and high-concept plot will actually get worthwhile characters and writing to support it or not.

That's always tough to predict. I think the show has done a decent job balancing the self-awareness inherent in a show about characters from fictional properties entering the real world, but the protagonist has been depressingly bland so far. Waiting is always a safer choice, until the next few episodes give a better sense of its overall shape.

phaze

K-On ! 06

A puzzling depiction for what was seemingly a very important moment in the life of the band, as cutting away from the concert proper in favour of some fantasy music video, in my mind, only robbed the viewer of perceiving most of band's struggle and triumph during the performance or the rising appreciation of the audience.

K-On ! 07

Bunch of nothing as I don't see much new or of worth in the depiction of the bond between the two sisters that was already out there plain to see.

K-On ! 08

Time sure flies bizarrely and jarringly fast round here. Felt similarly about Yui's growth from complete guitar amateur to a competent band member earlier on.

KraytarJ

Tsukigakirei 2
I was a little concerned which way things would go after ep1. Would it be too slow and comfy or would it actually be interesting? Turns out it looks pretty good now. It's moving at a pretty acceptable pace with each new turn still being exciting. Plus the little shorts at the end are a nice little added touch. I'll stick with it.

Jintor

i'll be honest i got a bit more out of seeing uji sound eupho locations than i did visiting a heritage-listed shrine next to the locations. lol.

K-On ! 08

Time sure flies bizarrely and jarringly fast round here. Felt similarly about Yui's growth from complete guitar amateur to a competent band member earlier on.

while time is weird here, yui is basically just a guitar savant

Sakura Quest is bad.

It's not just a step down in direction quality and visuals compared to Shirobako but the show is also just plain soulless.

e_i

ID-0 episode 1

Great opening. I like this show. I was getting worried that
Maya would spend the entire show in a robot. She got her body back, but how? If her body was spaced, there's no way her body would survive.

Ascheroth

ID-0 episode 1

Great opening. I like this show. I was getting worried that
Maya would spend the entire show in a robot. She got her body back, but how? If her body was spaced, there's no way her body would survive.
Her body probably was in that capsule the whole time, which obviously has life-support functionality while the mind is in the robot.

KraytarJ

Love Tyrant 2
So this is basically someone deciding to mix every possible romance trope in anime together and ratcheting it up to 11. This season hasn't been great but so far this has been way ahead of the pack for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom