• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
So, what's up with this season? I look at the list and I just don't feel like putting in the effort to check any of the shows out(outside of some sequels). Seems like a bad season to me, as I'm not that big on Attack on Titan. Is this the season to catch up with some classics? I have never seen a Watanabe series outside of Cowboy Bebop.

have you tried persona 5 or nier automata yet?

So, what's up with this season? I look at the list and I just don't feel like putting in the effort to check any of the shows out(outside of some sequels). Seems like a bad season to me, as I'm not that big on Attack on Titan. Is this the season to catch up with some classics? I have never seen a Watanabe series outside of Cowboy Bebop.
It's an ok season, but yeah it's pretty lackluster, especially if you don't want to settle for decent. Sequels are unfortunately the biggest draw this time around

WOW Amazon Canada-Prime video added both episode 1 of Kabukibu and Re:Creators? I'm in shock. Hopefully the delay isn't something that will be a constant in the future.

Watched sword Oratoria episode one and to sum it up in one word

Boring

Like, there's nothing inherently bad about it, but literally nothing good either. Nothing stood out for better or worse. Stuff happened but literally nothing has any impact

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The first season of K-ON is an average 4koma adaptation with better than average animation. Its second half is basically the first half again but with Azusa added. It's not until the second season, with the special episode 13 of the first leading into that, that K-ON finds a unique and noteworthy voice.
In short, S1 is garbage.

S1 was probably seen as a throwaway season, which is why they did 2 volumes of the original material in a single cour. They probably were going to adapt everything and then just move on to the next project.

I assume the show being a hit changed everything, including getting a 2 cour + movie deal, none of which is really supported by the source material. So they just took the core stories from volumes 3 and 4, but had to basically stretch them out to actually tell a story.

It's probably why volume 5, which was K-On College/TNG, kind of just died and went nowhere. It just wasn't as good as the anime, so even if it was new stories with the various characters, people had sort of moved on by then (it would have been easy to have just continued the book for another 3/4 volumes to have the older girls graduate College together and the younger girls graduate High School).

There are good shows currently airing, but it's never a bad time to watch/rewatch older anime.

Bravoexo

Watched sword Oratoria episode one and to sum it up in one word

Boring

Like, there's nothing inherently bad about it, but literally nothing good either. Nothing stood out for better or worse. Stuff happened but literally nothing has any impact

First episode is just a prequel to the whole first season.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So is the first season of K-On worth watching at all? It's been on my watch list for a while now Since I've been going through some KyoAni series lately.
I mean, it gives you a sense of the characters. The first season is just a throwaway slice of life anime though, like the dozens of 4 girl anime that come and go each year. It's only when the OVAs start that you can see that they are actually going to take the property seriously.

Quasar

Best season in years imo in terms of number of shows of interest. Admittedly its most all sequels/new seasons. But then thats every season now.

Quasar

honestly my issue isn't the plot. It's that nothing had impact. Everything is just super uninspired from the animation to the music to the direction. I enjoyed the main Danmachi anime. This was just boring though

Well it was just a introducing the characters episode. Which is kind of its own fault as it threw out almost all of the first novel just to get to that final scene in episode one.

S1 was probably seen as a throwaway season, which is why they did 2 volumes of the original material in a single cour. They probably were going to adapt everything and then just move on to the next project.

I assume the show being a hit changed everything, including getting a 2 cour + movie deal, none of which is really supported by the source material. So they just took the core stories from volumes 3 and 4, but had to basically stretch them out to actually tell a story.

It's probably why volume 5, which was K-On College/TNG, kind of just died and went nowhere. It just wasn't as good as the anime, so even if it was new stories with the various characters, people had sort of moved on by then (it would have been easy to have just continued the book for another 3/4 volumes to have the older girls graduate College together and the younger girls graduate High School).

Do you have statements from the anime staff to support this theory? My assumption has always been that, as K-ON season 1 was Naoko Yamada's directorial debut, she had not yet developed a confidence in her own skill or a knowledge of what she wanted to communicate as an artist. She's mentioned how she was taken aback when she was tapped to be promoted to overall show direction. Hence she hewed more closely to the manga at first, and only after she had gotten her feet wet and knew she could handle direction did she start to get creative with how she handled the material. That seems more plausible to me than the theory that KyoAni didn't care about K-ON and so just churned out a low-effort product until the money rolled in. Because K-ON season 1 does have a lot of effort put into the animation and overall production - it was made at the point, 2009, when KyoAni productions were starting to elevate themselves to an unusual level of polish for TV anime - it's just not particularly ambitious when it comes to adaptation or storytelling decisions.

Cornbread78

Rage of the Bahamut S2 ep.2
Totally different tone from S1, but at least Rita is back. Now, we just need the main duo back at some point.....

Kabukibu 1
kJHoXTm.jpg
So this was pretty cool! I love Kurusu! He's energetic, passionate, affirmative and super cute. The way he looked and sounded after he broke his teeth was super adorable. I think I can easily say that from this 1 episode I would watch the whole show just for him. The way he interacted with every other character so far was very fun. The other boys(and that 1 girl) are a mix bunch, but based on the ending the other good male design is still to come so pretty cool.

Kabuki doesn't like that interesting so far though, but I'll give the show more time to sell me on it in future episodes since this was more or less a character introduction. CLAMP did good on the MC design.

Also my big one negative isn't about the show, but about Amazon's sub....OMG HOW CAN YOU HAVE YOUR SUB CONSTANTLY BE 1 SECONDS BEHIND OR BEFORE?! THESE SUBS ARE ASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Do you have statements from the anime staff to support this theory? My assumption has always been that, as K-ON season 1 was Naoko Yamada's directorial debut, she had not yet developed a confidence in her own skill or a knowledge of what she wanted to communicate as an artist. She's mentioned how she was taken aback when she was tapped to be promoted to overall show direction. Hence she hewed more closely to the manga at first, and only after she had gotten her feet wet and knew she could handle direction did she start to get creative with how she handled the material. That seems more plausible to me than the theory that KyoAni didn't care about K-ON and so just churned out a low-effort product until the money rolled in. Because K-ON season 1 does have a lot of effort put into the animation and overall production - it was made at the point, 2009, when KyoAni productions were starting to elevate themselves to an unusual level of polish for TV anime - it's just not particularly ambitious when it comes to adaptation or storytelling decisions.

No, but I never really looked into it. I just think when they went out and adapted basically all the published K-On material at the time, they probably didn't think about needing to save anything. It's why S1 is awkwardly paced, at least compared to S2, where they cram 2 years of school and have two beach episodes (I think it's still the only anime I've seen where they've done two beach episodes in a single season).

It also felt like the OVAs were released as a stop gap to try to bridge the gap to Season 2. Keep in mind that they also had to push stuff on the other side as well, because I have no doubt that the actresses didn't expect to be playing concerts and learning how to play each of their instruments after recording their lines (including Hikasa, Mio's right-handed actress, learning to play left-handed because Mio is left-handed).

Maybe I'm wrong and K-On actually had a Love Live style ramp up, with lots of songs pre-written and ready to go with the girls training for the big concert... but I just get the impression that a lot of the post-S1 stuff just "happened" because they were trying to capitalize on the popularity of the show.

Rage of Bahamut S2 Episodes 1-2

really loving this so far. They kinda ramped up everything, the moral greyness, the comedy, the action, and the absurdity.

Watching the Genesis Short Stories has given me more context for the second season. Glad to see Azazel get a main role this season. Seems to be more of an anti-hero role rather than a villain but "not really a villain" role. The music is still fucking awesome and I like Nina more than Amira. I hope they actually explain how she turns into the dragon rather than just being horny but hey this is anime after all so I just will assume this is the case.

Other than that this is easily my AOTS thus far. Glad to see Rita back and I am glad for a reprieve from Favaro and Kaisar as I found them to be the least interesting characters in the first season but I loved their dynamic.

Looking forward to the next 22 episodes!

No, but I never really looked into it. I just think when they went out and adapted basically all the published K-On material at the time, they probably didn't think about needing to save anything. It's why S1 is awkwardly paced, at least compared to S2, where they cram 2 years of school and have two beach episodes (I think it's still the only anime I've seen where they've done two beach episodes in a single season).

It also felt like the OVAs were released as a stop gap to try to bridge the gap to Season 2. Keep in mind that they also had to push stuff on the other side as well, because I have no doubt that the actresses didn't expect to be playing concerts and learning how to play each of their instruments after recording their lines (including Hikasa, Mio's right-handed actress, learning to play left-handed because Mio is left-handed).

Maybe I'm wrong and K-On actually had a Love Live style ramp up, with lots of songs pre-written and ready to go with the girls training for the big concert... but I just get the impression that a lot of the post-S1 stuff just "happened" because they were trying to capitalize on the popularity of the show.

That doesn't have a whole lot to do with what I said, but I get the feeling that you think Naoko Yamada and the rest of the K-ON anime staff were always thinking purely about the commercialization of the franchise and so the only reason her approach to the material changed was because the anime was financially successful enough to be worth expanding. I don't think so little of her as that. At any rate, it's worth noting that episode 13 of the first season, which is the episode that laid the groundwork for the more relaxed, naturalistic observational approach of the second season, aired on TV a week after episode 12 and so wasn't a stopgap for anything. The other special episode for the first season was included on the final BD/DVD volume, as is a standard practice in the anime industry.

Well it was just a introducing the characters episode. Which is kind of its own fault as it threw out almost all of the first novel just to get to that final scene in episode one.

this isn't an excuse when none of the characters made any impact either. I've seen plenty of highly entertaining "get to know the characters" episodes, and this was just boring. I'm not even necessarily blaming the source material, because there were honestly scenes that felt like they should've had way more impact

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That doesn't have a whole lot to do with what I said, but I get the feeling that you think Naoko Yamada and the rest of the K-ON anime staff were always thinking purely about the commercialization of the franchise and so the only reason her approach to the material changed was because the anime was financially successful enough to be worth expanding. I don't think so little of her as that. At any rate, it's worth noting that episode 13 of the first season, which is the episode that laid the groundwork for the more relaxed, naturalistic observational approach of the second season, aired on TV a week after episode 12 and so wasn't a stopgap for anything. The other special episode for the first season was included on the final BD/DVD volume, as is a standard practice in the anime industry.
I mean, assuming real anime production is somewhere between the idealism of Shirobako and the cynicism of Girlish Number, I assume they did the best that they could with what they were given.

I assume the reason why the movie and the expanded second season exists is because of the capitalistic opportunities offered by the massive success of the first season that allowed them much more leeway in S2. Which is why you have really cool episodes in S2 like the Asuza one where she freaks out about being alone when everyone graduates ahead of her.

I'm not making a value judgement about S1 or the people involved in S1. I just think they saw it as any other product they release, just like any other anime studio. If it's a big hit, then great, if not, then it's just a matter of refocusing and moving onto the next project. Based on my experience watching anime, I'm going to say that they saw two volumes of a fairly generic 4-girl comic about music and tried to find a way to adapt both volumes into a single season as best they could. They didn't want to spend more than a couple of episodes trying to go into Yui's (or Asuza's) anxiety about being a freshman/first year at a new school because the source material didn't really have much to say about that and they didn't have any time.

Like I said, I don't think the actresses trained on their instruments prior to voicing their characters. Certainly I can't imagine why a right-handed person would learn how to play bass with their left-hand unless they were explicitly being paid to do so (or maybe they have a lot of free time). But maybe I'm wrong and all of this was planned from the outset.

In my mind, it's not a matter of making S1 bad "on purpose". And maybe they even had plans to do more while they were making S1. But given how many anime I've seen where they've just released "one and done" seasons with no intention of adapting later volumes, I just think it's likely that KyoAni felt the same way about K-On at the time. I definitely could be wrong, but that's just the best educated guess I can make about the production of the show.

Why not just email and tell them?

It's not as if they'd listen to be fair. Wife and I noticed it too when we were first trying out all of Amazon's offerings (Sometimes we'd have the problem and sometimes we wouldn't. I couldn't tell if it was because it only effects certain shows or not) but when I did some googling I discovered this is a multi-year long problem mostly affecting deaf users who rely on subtitles to enjoy their entertainment and are, at least from what I read, gearing up for a class action lawsuit due to Amazon's weak/nonexistent response.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh, thinking of K-On and the concerts, have they done any concerts with the Sound Euphonium cast and had them play their characters' respective instruments?

duckroll

It's not as if they'd listen to be fair. Wife and I noticed it too when we were first trying out all of Amazon's offerings (Sometimes we'd have the problem and sometimes we wouldn't. I couldn't tell if it was because it only effects certain shows or not) but when I did some googling I discovered this is a multi-year long problem mostly affecting deaf users who rely on subtitles to enjoy their entertainment and are, at least from what I read, gearing up for a class action lawsuit due to Amazon's weak/nonexistent response.

Ouch. Wow. I didn't know this was some bullshit that went far beyond their anime. Yuck. Shitty accessibility problems is a pet peeve of mine.

Boil it down to "transported to another world" anime and I'll agree with you.

So you mean.... anime?

Cornbread78

Kino's Journey ep.3
Ahhhh, that ending. Loved tge way they yokd this story. I was initially saying WTF, why are they flying through all tgese cou tries, then it all made sense at the end. Friggen' ruthless..

Gundam Wing 16

lzC7Ry8.jpg

bruh this entire battle is based on stupid pride...you're fighting for no reason other then "destiny"

Nothing anyone does, says, aligns with or acts upon in this show makes sense. People flip-flop mid-episode, at times at multiple points in a single episode. The way this show constructs conversations and characters makes it look like Tomino has a masterful grasp on the way people talk to each other.

...Who asked you and why do you care so much and why did you fly to Antarctica to give him a letter he won't read?

I mean...do you know what a duel is?

(FIFTEEN LITERAL SECONDS LATER)

i cant

I mean, assuming real anime production is somewhere between the idealism of Shirobako and the cynicism of Girlish Number, I assume they did the best that they could with what they were given.

I assume the reason why the movie and the expanded second season exists is because of the capitalistic opportunities offered by the massive success of the first season that allowed them much more leeway in S2. Which is why you have really cool episodes in S2 like the Asuza one where she freaks out about being alone when everyone graduates ahead of her.

I'm not making a value judgement about S1 or the people involved in S1. I just think they saw it as any other product they release, just like any other anime studio. If it's a big hit, then great, if not, then it's just a matter of refocusing and moving onto the next project. Based on my experience watching anime, I'm going to say that they saw two volumes of a fairly generic 4-girl comic about music and tried to find a way to adapt both volumes into a single season as best they could. They didn't want to spend more than a couple of episodes trying to go into Yui's (or Asuza's) anxiety about being a freshman/first year at a new school because the source material didn't really have much to say about that and they didn't have any time.

Like I said, I don't think the actresses trained on their instruments prior to voicing their characters. Certainly I can't imagine why a right-handed person would learn how to play bass with their left-hand unless they were explicitly being paid to do so (or maybe they have a lot of free time). But maybe I'm wrong and all of this was planned from the outset.

In my mind, it's not a matter of making S1 bad "on purpose". And maybe they even had plans to do more while they were making S1. But given how many anime I've seen where they've just released "one and done" seasons with no intention of adapting later volumes, I just think it's likely that KyoAni felt the same way about K-On at the time. I definitely could be wrong, but that's just the best educated guess I can make about the production of the show.

I was able to find interviews with Yamada and Yoshida concerning K-ON season 1 and K-ON season 2 (thanks, ultimatemegax), which are worth reading if you're interested. It does explicitly confirm that the second season was not initially planned before the first season was made - which is to be expected, since anime productions are typically only greenlit one season at a time aside from split-cour projects. (Since KyoAni hadn't yet established their dominance over production committees like they would later, I have to imagine Pony Canyon would have the primary company deciding how much K-ON anime would be funded.) It also indicates the level of thought that Yamada and Yoshida put into carefully depicting the characters and the tone of the work, and I think you can see hints in these interviews of what it clear when watching the actual work, that Yamada steadily grew more confident in stamping her work with her own unique directorial voice as she gained more experience.

Oh, thinking of K-On and the concerts, have they done any concerts with the Sound Euphonium cast and had them play their characters' respective instruments?

I'm not fully aware of what promotional events have been held for Sound Euphonium, but whereas K-ON focuses on an amateur band playing pop songs, Sound Euphonium focuses on a highly trained large ensemble playing serious instrumental concert music. You can't have a handful of voice actors replicate that.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Their relationship is based on her being even crazier than him.

Also he might read that letter, he's just busy now.

Also she doesn't know shit about Zechs and think he's just OZ scum which is why she doesn't care about murdering him, meanwhile she likes the other one.

The fight is entirely pride based. Their last fight was interrupted and Zechs wants to see if he can keep up with them Gundam boys.

I'm so close to caving in and watching G Gundam, but I really want to wait until the remastered edition comes out. Seeing the differences makes it seem like it'll be worth it.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm so close to caving in and watching G Gundam, but I really want to wait until the remastered edition comes out. Seeing the differences makes it seem like it'll be worth it.

The only remaster I can't completely recommend is SEED. Some of the changes bug me. Zeta and MSG were redone so well they are like new shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom