• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Yeah I liked the OVA well enough. I dug the "character of the day" tone at the beginning of the season so it almost felt like an episode that got left on the cutting room floor.

I felt like with Angel Beats at least, as bad as the pacing got, Otonashi was still a likable enough lead and they actually stuck the landing with the ending (random ass romance aside). Charlotte literally felt like two or three seasons worth of content being crammed into only 13 episodes. It feels like this was the rough draft for the inevitable Visual Novel lol

The OVA was a perfect relationship development episode, that should have been included in the show around the concert episode, to help show that Yuu x Nao was becoming a thing.

They could have done a full cour just on Yuu going around the globe obtaining everyone powers and using the ones he got to gather them. That could have been an amazing season by itself and they could have even included the letters/messages that Yuu and Nao were sending each other

kewlmyc

The OVA was a perfect relationship development episode, that should have been included in the show around the concert episode, to help show that Yuu x Nao was becoming a thing.

They could have done a full cour just on Yuu going around the globe obtaining everyone powers and using the ones he got to gather them. That could have been an amazing season by itself and they could have even included the letters/messages that Yuu and Nao were sending each other

A whole episode dedicated to his dilemma of taking the powers of a girl who was the sole doctor of her poor village.

So much promise just flushed away by poor direction.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 47

1in3BIF.png

EGwRcXD.png

WtaP6cs.png

guOPqzr.png

It's kind of weird that the Devil Gundam's final form, which debuts in this episode. showed up in the first opening.

Time for the final episode.

Cornbread78

Devil is a Part Timer ep.5-6
Some funnier moments built into these couple episodes, but I'm still not a huge fan of the direction of the show for the most part. Either way, I'll keep watching.

Ascheroth

Grimoire of Zero 02

Why are villagers in settings with witch-hunts always so fucking stupid and evil.

Boy finds ring in stream outside of village.
Grandma in village shouts her ring is missing.
Boy thinks maybe it could be her ring, tries to speak up and show it to her to give it back.
Villagers freak out before he can say anything. OMG LOOK AT THAT THIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEF. TIE HIM UP DON'T LET HIM ESCAPE.
Buff Narag tries to de-escalate the situation. "Guys calm down a minute, it's not like that. Let us explain."
LOOK THEY HAVE TOMATOES, THEY MUST BE EVIL THIEVES.
"No we got those from a dude while we walked to your village. Just ask him."
BUT YOU STOLE THE RING, YOU LIARS

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Note: they didn't even know they were witches at that point.

phaze

K-On ! 10

Two beach episodes in one cour ? How is that not forbidden ?

I've to say, most of the luster has worn off for long while now. The comedy is pretty repetitive with dozens off "Mio gets scared" quips or being eternally surprised at laziness of Yui and others. The reaction faces too could stand an injection of variety.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like K-on, but the only time I watched it I think I was breeding pokemon in gen 5, so maybe I just liked the new breeding mechanics.

I also would have liked resolution to the whole "Nao's classmates beats her up" plot thread they introduced and then decided not to talk about anymore.

A whole episode dedicated to his dilemma of taking the powers of a girl who was the sole doctor of her poor village.

So much promise just flushed away by poor direction.

That as well. Even Yuu's mental breakdown there would have made for a good standalone episode but it got brushed over in the end.

Ascheroth

I'm pretty sure if you look up "wasted potential" in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of Jun Maeda holding a Charlotte BD.

There aren't many anime that managed to make me retroactively hate parts I actually enjoyed, but the entire first half of Charlotte is a waste of time that could have been of much better use elsewhere.

K-On ! 10

Two beach episodes in one cour ? How is that not forbidden ?

I've to say, most of the luster has worn off for long while now. The comedy is pretty repetitive with dozens off "Mio gets scared" quips or being eternally surprised at laziness of Yui and others. The reaction faces too could stand an injection of variety.

The first season of K-ON is an average 4koma adaptation with better than average animation. Its second half is basically the first half again but with Azusa added. It's not until the second season, with the special episode 13 of the first leading into that, that K-ON finds a unique and noteworthy voice.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The first season of K-ON is an average 4koma adaptation with better than average animation. Its second half is basically the first half again but with Azusa added. It's not until the second season, with the special episode 13 of the first leading into that, that K-ON finds a unique and noteworthy voice.

So it gets good over 75% of the way through. Is it secretly FF XIII?!?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I like FF XIII just fine but anyone who thinks it doesn't completely squander the potential of the battle system for most of the game by denying you a third party member is wrong.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam - END

pgEExKm.png

THESE HANDS OF OURS ARE BURNING RED. THEIR LOUD CRIES TELL US TO GRASP HAPPINESS.

And so, the hot-blooded martial arts giant robot show climaxes with sparkly, bubbly backgrounds, swirling pink hearts, a magical pixie girl, a bold declaration of love, and a final attack with "LOVE LOVE" said right in the middle of it. That's confidence.

And for all the words that can be used to describe G Gundam, I think that "confident" is as good as any. Mobile Fighter G Gundam's reputation as an over the top, bombastic time capsule of the 90s shonen martial arts boom is well known and not unearned. The idea of the nations of the world coming together to organize an election by tournament using giant robots molded after their country's respective stereotypes is ridiculous enough on its own, but even more so when you realize that this is a part of the Gundam franchise, one of the pioneers of the "real robot" genre. The imagery of a GUNDAM of all things doing some of the things you see in this series alone is mind-boggling to anyone familiar with the franchise's other entries.

But G Gundam is not a comedy. As you go further and further into the series you realize that G Gundam is not nudging your side with its elbow, letting you peer into some grand satire that isn't there. The characters of G Gundam care about what they're doing, and goddammit you should care too. You aren't meant to seriously examine everything or take it all seriously, but when it counts, the show expects its characters and their struggles to feel real. Does it always work out? Ehhh...not always. The characters are diverse and stylized, but also strangely down to earth. Everyone is here to fulfill their own goals, which are ever present and drives them forwards with the hot-blooded passion that this show needs. The show places heavy emphasis on how each character makes the other feel, and that helps certain moments, such as
the death of Master Asia or Domon's eventual declaration of love to Rain to feel real

That is to say nothing of the craft of the show. From an animation standpoint, it's average. It utilizes a host of repeat animations, but as a whole, you aren't going to get a lot of fluid movement here (the show has a bad habit of utilizing smears to simulate punch/kick rushes, and it never looks good). HOWEVER, I genuinely think this show has some superb direction. The framing is always interesting and cinematic, with the composition of the elements in the frame often feeling like they should be on a stained-glass window in a church. The action is brief, but there's a sense of timing in both the movement and the sound design that really squeezes out some of the late-game sequences for all the bombast they're worth. And the soundtrack, filled with tracks that will get anyone's heart racing, just ties it all together.

But unfortunately, while G Gundam's characters do the job, its structure often doesn't. At 49 episodes, the show feels too long, and there are several moments where it feels like it could have consolidated much of its plot for a more streamlined and tighter experience. The show seems stretched between the Gundam Fight Tournament and the Devil Gundam storylines, and never seems to really balance the two. And while many of the earlier episodic episodes are able to give their one-off characters some believable arcs, later characters feel much shallower in comparison. A major example is the Shuffle Alliance, who go away too quickly and aren't really fleshed out.

Watching Mobile Fighter G Gundam may have taken a bit too long, and there are aspects of it that I admit I give a little too much rope. But when it really counted, the show was at worst a breezy popcorn show that I wished did some aspects better, but at best it was a genuinely enjoyable martial arts romp, made with a lot of craft and conviction that I couldn't help but enjoy.

THE EAST IS BURNING RED

9603d1d63886a4446e86860e0a304b271489008660_full.jpg

John Blade

Watching though Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and liking it so far. Only thing I can say is, I am starting to hate Mirai with her attitude right now. I guess she is scared and freaking out based on the situation she is in. Still, Mari manage to get the two kids together during this trouble incident. Also, like the incident and how it try to convey in the show. Kinda make the show more interesting to watch.

phaze

I'm aware more or less S2 is where it's supposed to get good. Just thought I would be able to coast through S1 on the strength of its comedy et consortes from the the initial impressions.

KraytarJ

I liked S1 of K-ON but S2 is just on another level. It goes from fluffy fun to actually really great.

Also FFXIII doesn't actually get good once it opens up, that's when it gets worse. The game just never goes anywhere with its story or characters and it's design falls apart when it's not just hallways.

zulux21

hmmm despite my general dislike for cute girls doing cute things... I always forget how much of a sucker I am for the shy genius girl trope such as Futaba in persona 5.

I wonder what anime that have been dubbed have characters similar to her that I haven't seen already lol.

Series Rating via the First 3 Episodes Spring Edition Batch 1 (Or SRvF3ESEB1 for short)
4= Below Average, 5 = Average, 6 = Above Average etc...

Alice to Zouroku, 3/10: It would of been a 4/10 if it weren't for the horrible CGI car chase, the hilarious unfinished animation and animation mistakes found throughout that first episode. I want to like it, but the show just feels sloppy of and I'm doubtful the cute SoL moments will be able to fix this.

Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season, 5/10: God damn it Bones, stop with the damn recaps every fucking episode! Maybe I should stop blaming Bones and blame the director. Who as we saw last season of this show has some random hard-on for recapping enough each episode to challenge One Piece for the recapping filling for time crown. Pacing is slightly better then last season....still not happy with it but at least we are averaging at 2 chapters per episode now.

Shingeki no Kyojin Season 2, 5/10: That OP's ending run is the greatest, I will not say that there are or aren't dinosaurs that will appear later in the show. The ED
I really do love. It shows both the Titan creation story, along with some of the history and likely some of the propaganda of Marley.
I quite like this arc in the manga (really everything after the female titan arc I would consider at worst average), and so far they done a decent job adapting it. I'm mostly watching to see when production falls apart for this show, signs have started appear in episode 3.

Tsugumomo, 4/10: Consider me impressed, yes I gave it a 4/10 but that's about what I would of given the manga at this point as well. They've done a pretty damn decent job adapting the action scenes, though episode 4's content will be the real test. Also there is a 99% chance if they do adapt this straight forward that everyone watching this will be sent to jail by the end of episode 12.

Warau Salesman New, 5/10: Likely the winner for best opening of the season (Bahamut could of been a contender...if you know it wasn't for the music.). I quite enjoy the art style, and I don't take the harsh consequences of Moguro to heart. Moguro is just a human representation of society, he straight up tells you the dangers and never forces you into anything. Those who fall victim had weak wills and were unable to avoid taking the easy but dangerous way to deal with their troubles. They weren't bad people, but society preys on all and cares not about ones circumstances.

Yeah animation wise G Gundam isn't a strong show and it love reusing animation but visual design and direction wise it's top of the line especially if you look at the Blu-ray. You wouldn't be remiss for not thinking there were that many colors back then.

C9o_FS3_NXc_AAV3u_E.jpg

1. Build time machine.
2. Go back and shoot cavemen who are painting on walls/sculpting, thus preventing art from flourishing.
3. Save mankind from anime.

It's so simple people.

Narag

C9o_FS3_NXc_AAV3u_E.jpg

1. Build time machine.
2. Go back and shoot cavemen who are painting on walls/sculpting, thus preventing art from flourishing.
3. Save mankind from anime.

It's so simple people.

dresden was saying this was an issue when people were tling the LN a few years back.
Is the name of this actually Horny Soul? I'm at work and can't search it, but I like the art.

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul

It is taking Amazon for-fucking-ever to get their Anime Strike Shows here in Canada. I've been checking daily and Saekano only showed up 2 days ago. Hell, i'm still waiting for "Sword Oratoria" and "Grimoire of Zero" to pop up as well; it's starting to get ridiculous. They have the damned licenses, they have them subtitled, why can't I watch them.

Also the Erupting Burning Finger Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken (say that three times fast) might be the single greatest finale attack of all time.

It's a three way tie between that, Double Inazuma Kick from Diebuster and Goku's last Kamehameha on Buu to destroy him in Z. Yeah the father-son Kamehameha to kill Cell is better but that's not the finale

Edit:Oh and I'm sure whatever move Luffy does at the end of One Piece on the final boss that kills them both will be the real GOAT

My Little Monster - Episode 1 RomCom with a role reversal where the female character is totally straight laced while the male lead is the Manic Pixie Dream Girl. Only in this case he has the emotional maturity and decision making of a child and seems borderline-autistic (not using this as an insult).

Why is it in anime that actual "disorder traits" are given to characters just to make them quirky? I mean, I guess it's not exclusive to anime (looking at you Big Bang Theory) but it just seems weird that these types of works never address it directly.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam - END
There are a ton of cameos near the end
mobile-fighter-g-gundam-49-homage-mecha-1_thumb.png
mobile-fighter-g-gundam-49-homage-mecha-2_thumb.png

3. Daitarn 3 (Invincible Steel Man Daitarn 3)
4. Guncannon
5. Big Zam?
6. GP-01FB
9. RX-78-2
11. GP-03 Dendrobrium-Stamen
14. Zambot 3 (Invincible Super Man Zambot 3)
18. Wing Gundam
19. F91
25. Z Gundam
26. GP-02
latest

GP-01FB
gi_goku49c93a10b95bd.jpg

RX-78-2 and Crossbone
G-Gundam%2BEpisode%2B49_2.png

Wing Gundam
latest

Victory 2
It should be noted that G-Gundam aired before Wing in Japan, so Wing Gundam's appearance is a teaser for the next series

Warau Salesman New, 5/10: Likely the winner for best opening of the season (Bahamut could of been a contender...if you know it wasn't for the music.). I quite enjoy the art style, and I don't take the harsh consequences of Moguro to heart. Moguro is just a human representation of society, he straight up tells you the dangers and never forces you into anything.

Technically he doesn't straight-up force people into anything, but he does prey on psychologically vulnerable people and take advantage of their weaknesses, so he's not exactly a neutral bystander. The moment in the OP where his mouth opens up to consume the skeleton is indicative of his M.O.

Sterok

Twin Angels Break 2

If these are pachinko Magical Girls, I wish there was some gambling element to them. Or at least something to make this stand out a little. Right now the best I've got is blue girl trying and failing to be a non-comformist edgelord.

Also the Erupting Burning Finger Sekiha Love Love Tenkyoken (say that three times fast) might be the single greatest finale attack of all time.

It's a three way tie between that, Double Inazuma Kick from Diebuster and Goku's last Kamehameha on Buu to destroy him in Z. Yeah the father-son Kamehameha to kill Cell is better but that's not the finale

Edit:Oh and I'm sure whatever move Luffy does at the end of One Piece on the final boss that kills them both will be the real GOAT
Goku beat Buu with the spirit bomb though

Other than that yes I agree (although I never watched Diebuster)

Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season, 5/10: God damn it Bones, stop with the damn recaps every fucking episode! Maybe I should stop blaming Bones and blame the director. Who as we saw last season of this show has some random hard-on for recapping enough each episode to challenge One Piece for the recapping filling for time crown. Pacing is slightly better then last season....still not happy with it but at least we are averaging at 2 chapters per episode now.

Is the recap complaint only for episode 14? Because 15 did not have any and 16 had 2 minutes. I mean I get you hate them, but challenging One piece?

Laughing Salesman NEW 03

While I'm very into the look and the subject matter, theres something lacking about Laughing Salesman to me. I enjoy dark humor and I understand its about how shitty Japanese bureaucratic life is, but I'm having trouble enjoying these stories individually.

Goku beat Buu with the spirit bomb though

Shit you right. When they showed that moment on Super recently I misremembered it as a Kamehameha, but then he was doing the two finger salute so that wouldn't make much sense

Cornbread78

H.S DxD borN ep.1-2
No Issei, pushing them in like a doorbell is not the best thing to do with them....

Also, why censor in the third season, but not the first two?

H.S DxD borN ep.1-2
No Issei, pushing them in like a doorbell is not the best thing to do with them....

Also, why censor in the third season, but not the first two?

I think the third season was simulcasted, which means that they got the TV broadcast version. The first two seasons use the video of the BD/DVD versions which are the uncensored versions.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Frame Arms Girl Episode 3:

Okay, I have some serious concerns over whomever made the creepy incest twins, they seem t have some very unresolved issues.

Laughing Salesman NEW 03

While I'm very into the look and the subject matter, theres something lacking about Laughing Salesman to me. I enjoy dark humor and I understand its about how shitty Japanese bureaucratic life is, but I'm having trouble enjoying these stories individually.

Shit you right. When they showed that moment on Super recently I misremembered it as a Kamehameha, but then he was doing the two finger salute so that wouldn't make much sense
i mean it's the most notable use of that technique in the series and it's also a huge part of how Mr. Satan saves the world. Also seems weird to misremember a move you're claiming is one of the best finale attacks in anime :p

Tunoku

So, what's up with this season? I look at the list and I just don't feel like putting in the effort to check any of the shows out(outside of some sequels). Seems like a bad season to me, as I'm not that big on Attack on Titan. Is this the season to catch up with some classics? I have never seen a Watanabe series outside of Cowboy Bebop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom