• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gundam Wing 16

Nothing anyone does, says, aligns with or acts upon in this show makes sense. People flip-flop mid-episode, at times at multiple points in a single episode. The way this show constructs conversations and characters makes it look like Tomino has a masterful grasp on the way people talk to each other.

These exact same criticisms can also be said about Cross Ange.

John Blade

Gundam Wing 16

Nothing anyone does, says, aligns with or acts upon in this show makes sense. People flip-flop mid-episode, at times at multiple points in a single episode. The way this show constructs conversations and characters makes it look like Tomino has a masterful grasp on the way people talk to each other.

...Who asked you and why do you care so much and why did you fly to Antarctica to give him a letter he won't read?

I mean...do you know what a duel is?

(FIFTEEN LITERAL SECONDS LATER)

i cant

Man....guess what, you going to love her even more when she take more responsibility in later part of the show to the point you wonder why Hero never kill her when he have a chance. I have a feeling he love his girl as dumb as she is and just love her for it.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam - END

THESE HANDS OF OURS ARE BURNING RED. THEIR LOUD CRIES TELL US TO GRASP HAPPINESS.

And so, the hot-blooded martial arts giant robot show climaxes with sparkly, bubbly backgrounds, swirling pink hearts, a magical pixie girl, a bold declaration of love, and a final attack with "LOVE LOVE" said right in the middle of it. That's confidence.

And for all the words that can be used to describe G Gundam, I think that "confident" is as good as any. Mobile Fighter G Gundam's reputation as an over the top, bombastic time capsule of the 90s shonen martial arts boom is well known and not unearned. The idea of the nations of the world coming together to organize an election by tournament using giant robots molded after their country's respective stereotypes is ridiculous enough on its own, but even more so when you realize that this is a part of the Gundam franchise, one of the pioneers of the "real robot" genre. The imagery of a GUNDAM of all things doing some of the things you see in this series alone is mind-boggling to anyone familiar with the franchise's other entries.

But G Gundam is not a comedy. As you go further and further into the series you realize that G Gundam is not nudging your side with its elbow, letting you peer into some grand satire that isn't there. The characters of G Gundam care about what they're doing, and goddammit you should care too. You aren't meant to seriously examine everything or take it all seriously, but when it counts, the show expects its characters and their struggles to feel real. Does it always work out? Ehhh...not always. The characters are diverse and stylized, but also strangely down to earth. Everyone is here to fulfill their own goals, which are ever present and drives them forwards with the hot-blooded passion that this show needs. The show places heavy emphasis on how each character makes the other feel, and that helps certain moments, such as
the death of Master Asia or Domon's eventual declaration of love to Rain to feel real

That is to say nothing of the craft of the show. From an animation standpoint, it's average. It utilizes a host of repeat animations, but as a whole, you aren't going to get a lot of fluid movement here (the show has a bad habit of utilizing smears to simulate punch/kick rushes, and it never looks good). HOWEVER, I genuinely think this show has some superb direction. The framing is always interesting and cinematic, with the composition of the elements in the frame often feeling like they should be on a stained-glass window in a church. The action is brief, but there's a sense of timing in both the movement and the sound design that really squeezes out some of the late-game sequences for all the bombast they're worth. And the soundtrack, filled with tracks that will get anyone's heart racing, just ties it all together.

But unfortunately, while G Gundam's characters do the job, its structure often doesn't. At 49 episodes, the show feels too long, and there are several moments where it feels like it could have consolidated much of its plot for a more streamlined and tighter experience. The show seems stretched between the Gundam Fight Tournament and the Devil Gundam storylines, and never seems to really balance the two. And while many of the earlier episodic episodes are able to give their one-off characters some believable arcs, later characters feel much shallower in comparison. A major example is the Shuffle Alliance, who go away too quickly and aren't really fleshed out.

Watching Mobile Fighter G Gundam may have taken a bit too long, and there are aspects of it that I admit I give a little too much rope. But when it really counted, the show was at worst a breezy popcorn show that I wished did some aspects better, but at best it was a genuinely enjoyable martial arts romp, made with a lot of craft and conviction that I couldn't help but enjoy.

THE EAST IS BURNING RED

The power of Imagawa.

G Gundam will forever be one of my favourite mecha anime and my favourite entry in the Gundam franchise.

Such a shame you had to deal with Crunchyroll's terrible 480p version of the show when it looks miles better on the BDs.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Crunchyroll's version of G Gundam looks worse than any of the DVD versions I own, including the first bootleg version I got off of ebay. I don't know how it is possible.

Starmyu Season 2 Episode 1 – Act 1
C9qAeyzWAAA1UeP.jpg:large

Toraishi [KENN] is back with us for a season, and hes just as friendly and awesome as ever with not only his team but with Kuga. I cant wait.

Ageha Riku is a good character and singer, I always like his voice actor singing (Haru's [Free] chara songs, and also Furuya [Ace of Diamond]) so his musical performance here was pretty awesome.

Old team of princes song was decent though nothing fantastic.

Cornbread78

Casshern Sins ep.6
Poor Casshern just cannot catch a break. That fight was pretty fun until it got broken up... The dude just wants to die man....

My Little Monster - I'm four episodes in now and I'm actually enjoying the series so far. I like that there's actual push and pull with Shizuku and Haru's relationship. In a lot of these romance anime I've seen up until now, the development has always felt rather one-sided but here I actually see both characters growing and coming out of their shells as their relationship advances.

These exact same criticisms can also be said about Cross Ange.

Yeah no shit. I'd say the same thing about Cross Ange because it was so obviously written on the fly. But Cross Ange isn't a show from an established series that people remember fondly because it was on Toonami.

But Cross Ange is a far more enjoyable show, while Wing is just miserable. Its taking the same old Gundam song and dance and repacking it into a worse show with worse characters then ones that were already going on two-decades old of being run intro the ground. It follows the checklist to a tee - troubled teens, colonies at war, too many fucking factions that dont even matter, why does anyone want to do anything, masked blonde guy who is secretly a noble, terrible female characters, re-used animation and bafflingly bad dialogue. What does Wing add to the Gundam series, especially as a follow-up to G Gundam? Like, this show exemplifies nearly every issue I have with Gundam. How the arcs are setup, how much moving around there is for next to no reason, one-off villains that have no reason to exist, a cast of annoying main characters and faction space-politic nonsense.

None of these story beats are exciting and none of the characters are any fun to watch. At least with Cross Ange I could say the opposite. I would rather watch some trashy exploitation movie like I Spit on Your Grave then some shitpile film high on its own farts like Crash, because at least I Spit on Your Grave knows its place.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was able to find interviews with Yamada and Yoshida concerning K-ON season 1 and K-ON season 2 (thanks, ultimatemegax), which are worth reading if you're interested. It does explicitly confirm that the second season was not initially planned before the first season was made - which is to be expected, since anime productions are typically only greenlit one season at a time aside from split-cour projects. (Since KyoAni hadn't yet established their dominance over production committees like they would later, I have to imagine Pony Canyon would have the primary company deciding how much K-ON anime would be funded.) It also indicates the level of thought that Yamada and Yoshida put into carefully depicting the characters and the tone of the work, and I think you can see hints in these interviews of what it clear when watching the actual work, that Yamada steadily grew more confident in stamping her work with her own unique directorial voice as she gained more experience.
Yoshida: There were a lot of things that we wanted to do but couldn’t insert in the 13 episodes for the first season. Particularly in that we weren’t able to depict their classmates at all. We really regretted not being able to do that for their first two years. But with this season spanning 2 cours and only one year, we could slowly proceed through this at a quarter of the pace that we did for the first season. Thanks to that slow pace, we could depict the normal class life of the girls and how the other classmates view the light music club. Being able to depict a different point of view that we hadn’t shown before would be the biggest change in my opinion.
Funny enough, the interview about K-On! didn't mention if they wanted to just do a single year or not. I feel like if they had to do it over again, they might have just done 13 episodes per school year though. Or given how successful it was, 26+26+26? lol

Also, I don't know if I'm just misunderstanding the context of this quote:
Yamada: I was personally concerned with Azusa. Should she appear or should she not? Does she come into the picture or does she not? I constantly worried over it. Well, I wasn’t 100% on board with her not appearing. (laughs) But there was a feeling that the story would be better if she didn’t appear so it’d be the main four from start until the end.
Since Azusa does appear... maybe they meant for the first half?

I wonder what would have happened if they actually just did the first year for 13 episodes and didn't introduce Azusa. Would they have divided S2 into second and third year arcs? Was Azusa the deal breaker that made K-On break out? Who knows.

Also, I don't know if I'm just misunderstanding the context of this quote:

Since Azusa does appear... maybe they meant for the first half?

I think what that means is she and her team went back and forth on whether to have the 13 episode season just cover the band's first year, and so not include Azusa, or whether to have it include her and so cover two years. Ultimately, of course, they chose the latter option.

Yeah no shit. I'd say the same thing about Cross Ange because it was so obviously written on the fly. But Cross Ange isn't a show from an established series that people remember fondly because it was on Toonami.

But Cross Ange is a far more enjoyable show, while Wing is just miserable. Its taking the same old Gundam song and dance and repacking it into a worse show with worse characters then ones that were already going on two-decades old of being run intro the ground. It follows the checklist to a tee - troubled teens, colonies at war, too many fucking factions that dont even matter, why does anyone want to do anything, masked blonde guy who is secretly a noble, terrible female characters, re-used animation and bafflingly bad dialogue. What does Wing add to the Gundam series, especially as a follow-up to G Gundam? Like, this show exemplifies nearly every issue I have with Gundam. How the arcs are setup, how much moving around there is for next to no reason, one-off villains that have no reason to exist, a cast of annoying main characters and faction space-politic nonsense.

None of these story beats are exciting and none of the characters are any fun to watch. At least with Cross Ange I could say the opposite. I would rather watch some trashy exploitation movie like I Spit on Your Grave then some shitpile film high on its own farts like Crash, because at least I Spit on Your Grave knows its place.

I agree until Cross Ange's last four episodes when everyone becomes obsessed with Ange's
Vagina
. But yeah, you echo a LOT of the problems I have with Gundam Wing. I still sorta like to watch it as literal dumb fun
I mean, you can almost laugh at how insanely stupid most of the show is.
But I really struggle to think of it as a good Gundam. Though, to be fair, there's a number of huge hit Gundams I struggle to understand why they're so revered.

Though that doesn't stop me from buying the models and every DVD set <.< >.>
Help me.

After watching VOTOMS I think that Gundam should stop trying to say things about war and after watching LoGH I think that Gundam should stop trying to say things about space politics.

So just make more things like G-Gundam and Gundam Build Fi- oh wait you fucked that up too

After watching VOTOMS I think that Gundam should stop trying to say things about war and after watching LoGH I think that Gundam should stop trying to say things about space politics.

So just make more things like G-Gundam and Gundam Build Fi- oh wait you fucked that up too

I dunno, I think some of the OVAs are quite good with the war topic, but I agree, a number of the mainline Gundams aren't terribly poignant when talking about war and politics, not as well as they could be anyway.

I dunno, I think some of the OVAs are quite good with the war topic, but I agree, a number of the mainline Gundams aren't terribly poignant when talking about war and politics, not as well as they could be anyway.

Yeah there's War in the Pocket which has a neat perspective on the Zeon war and 08th MS team which has awesome battles and then there's everything else

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Grimoire of Zero 2

This show could've been good.

Theyve fixed such issues in the past animes theyve done though.

Just FYI, I talked to them on chat and they said they will contact me later this week when my issue will be fixed. We will see if they will actually fix anything, but at least it's a start. Surprised nobody else contacted them since it was so noticeable. Guess Kabukibu is just that small a show.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's just not very interesting to look at is probably its biggest sin. Characters are also paper thin in that usual LN way.

Yowamushi Pedal New Generation Episode 13 – 1000km Again

How is weak Teshima making all these rules when he has yet to complete the 1000km himself, even worst, hes so weak that I dont understand how he is even captain. What does everyone see in him? Im litrally like Naruko.
C9qLgKsXcAE9sp9.jpg:small
C9qMKpzWAAUbLVg.jpg:small

I think it'll at least be watchable. But I don't think it will be very memorable. light novel isn't even done apparently, so the hopes of a conclusion went down the drain.

Just FYI, I talked to them on chat and they said they will contact me later this week when my issue will be fixed. We will see if they will actually fix anything, but at least it's a start. Surprised nobody else contacted them since it was so noticeable. Guess Kabukibu is just that small a show.

I dont think people usually email or contact any service with issues, even on CR, I watch some shows weeks/months late and some pretty obvious issues are still in episodes, I doubt CR is unable to fix subs so I just pin it as people never contacted them

John Blade

Man...just finish watching Episode 9 for Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 and man...very emotional to watch. Seeing the two kids now trying to find their parent by themselves without the help is crazy but I guess the older sis now feel responsible for what she have to do now. Do hope the last two episode will end the show nicely. A very simple show with a decent story and character development I have to say for now.

Well for starters, somebody actually cared about the mecha designs in Gundam Wing instead of looking at the Strike Freedom and saying: "LETS DO THAT AGAIN BUT CG"

KraytarJ

Re: Creators 2
It's a lot better than I thought it would be, I mean the main plot is stupid and none of the characters are interesting in any way but it's still somehow compelling and very watchable.

Tunoku

have you tried persona 5 or nier automata yet?

Actually, close to done with both of them, wrapping up Persona tomorrow and Automata by the end of the week!

I think I'll try to catch up with the first Uchouten Kazoku season, seems like up my alley.

I'll give you that. The OP is pretty good too.

Nobody's gonna argue with you on the fact that Gundam Wing's plot at large is a steaming pile. Everything you say about the plot is true, it's the UC saga all over again.

But remember back then that this was the 90s before Gundam SEED showed up and this became the norm. It's only natural that any kid who watched Wing would become enamoured with it not for its characters, but because they saw things like Gundam Deathscythe and Epyon tearing things apart.

It's kinda why I recommend the dub. The way the voice acting is in the show adds to the cartoony factor and makes it more fun to watch. If you watch it subbed, then yeah for the most part you'll feel pretty bored.

Jarmel

Banned
Trapped in Oregon Hell: Sakuracon Part 2 Panel Report- (Link to Part 1)

Well I'm trapped in Portland. I got on a 7am flight only to find out that there was no power to the plane. Then ended up waiting 6 hours while they literally gutted the cockpit, only for the flight to get canceled due to the pilots 'timing out'. So I have to take another 7am flight tomorrow and hope my plane isn't fucked up again.

Kenichi Sonoda Panel-
-When he's drawing he tries not to make mistakes especially with cars as he used to get yelled at a lot from his editors if he did.
-He tries not to use Berettas as so many people use it in dramas. He blames Lethal Weapon.
-He doesn't have any rights to the Riding Bean anime. He can't use the name Riding Bean as well as the designs. That's how the initial design of Rally came about. He couldn't think of a cooler design though so he made Bean Bandit a sub character to hopefully avoid the copyright issue.
-Bean Bandit's design was influenced by Rambo and Schwarzenegger in T1. He designed the X mark around his eyes because Bandit's chin is so long therefore if the chin gets cut off and you just see the eyes, you'll know that it was still him.
-[Some talk about cars that I couldn't follow] As he has gotten older he prefers simpler designs.
-Priss's most distinctive feature is her eyes so he puts his attention there.
-When he does chibi characters, he reflects back as it wasn't common in the past so he considers himself a frontrunner of it and is proud of that. There were others doing this at the time as well. [He stated a name but I couldn't hear it as the audio system in the room was terrible.]
-[The question was how many rounds does it take for him to design a character. A round being essentially an iteration.] Sometimes it doesn't matter how many rounds you can do and you'll never be satisfied so if the deadline is approaching then he'll just submit the one on hand. If he really likes the character though then just the initial round will suffice. Misty May took two rounds.
-Copied a little bit of Misty May from Magical Girl Amy (? I don't know which anime he's referring to) such as the short necktie.
-The Gainax Bounce was his idea in that he demanded the boob jiggling be alternating for Misty and he specified that to Gainax. The animator in charge of it was Takeshi Honda.
-[One of the questions was what is the difference between a earlier CZ-75 and the later version.] In the later version the rail extends a bit longer. The short rail version used a harder metal in manufacturing while the later had a softer metal to increase productivity so it needs a longer rail to maintain accuracy.
-It does seem like there's more moe but he doesn't think there's lower quality anime. You could have very cute characters and still a good story. Talked about Madoka and while the characters are cute, it had a very deep story to it with Faustian elements. Guess who was in the audience at his panel?
-[Referring to some robot with a cannon in its chest] Figured that if the center was going to be a cannon then it should be an integral part of the robot. By centering the cannon barrel as such, the body could absorb the recoil.
-He played with some German toys as a kid, so he's always been fascinated with German weaponry.
--
The Reflection Panel-

-This work will not be not be using post production stuff like lighting effects as Nagahama wants it to resemble a comic book. No concept of shadows in the work, like in comics, it's blacked out.
-Nagahama loves Unbreakable and felt that it used a number of new expressions in the comic world. In regards to the color scheme, again he's trying to imitate American comics so someone might look good but will be evil. Bad guy in Unbreakable wear purple so the villain in Reflection will wear purple.
-Other main character besides I-Guy is X-On, the guy with an X on his mask, and his outfit is based on Cyclops.
-X-On's design is supposed to be similar to Cyclops in thematic purpose as the visor is to block away his vision of this ugly world.
[Some settei sheets were shown of the main character designs and the lead female has regular eyes, she resembles some of Iso's realistic character designs.]
-Wanted to make the designs simple for X-On and I-Guy so that little kids could draw them. Wanted it to be so that a child could pick up a blue crayon and draw I-Guy and similarly do so with X-On.
-He didn't take much from MHA and Tiger and Bunny. He did enjoy them but felt there were Japanese influences in things such as the pacing and so studied those shows to actually take that out of The Reflection.
-Would love for it to last for decades, would even like to see other people doing something like a spinoff.
-Trevor Horn will appear inside the anime along with Stan Lee. Since the anime is based in America they couldn't put any of the Japanese staff in it besides 9nine. [This is referring to cameos.]
[Not sure if it was known but they're planning on releasing a movie next year.]
--
PILI Puppet Demonstration Panel-
*Video of the puppeteers putting on a mock fight for the audience
-[The question was, "Why don't you just animate the puppets?"] Feels that having a physical puppet is an intrinsic part of the experience as it reminds the staff of playing with toys when they were kids and so helps creativity.
-They don't rehearse.
-5 to 6 people work on making a puppet. If everybody was working on the puppet at once then they could finish it in a month but they go through many revisions.
-Average puppet weight is 3-4 kilograms. It can be tiring using the puppet for long periods of time so the puppeteers have to stay in shape.
*Video of the Thunderbolt Fantasy puppets on display.

I should note that I also added videos to my Part 1 post such as the new Thunderbolt Fantasy PV.

Yama no Susume S2 4

In contrast to the first three episodes, which were all storyboarded by director Yusuke Yamamoto, this episode was storyboarded by Kazuhiro Yoneda (later director of Yona of the Dawn) and the change was obvious. This episode used more varied visual techniques such as slanted angles

and split screen

that weren't seen in the earlier episodes. It felt less elegant because of this, but at the same time I can see the purpose behind these decisions (emphasizing Aoi's legs in the first shot and focusing on her grip on the hiking poles in the second). The sequence in the hot springs felt like gratuitous fanservice. Everytime breast sizes get brought up in anime I instinctively grit my teeth now. Still a decent episode overall. Animation was quite good for being a solo KA episode, but of course this show always has good animation. The extra effort put into character animation helps make the characters come alive and feel more real.

JCG

ID-0 ep 2 was a pretty good supplement to the previous episode, with more sci-fi nuances regarding the mind transfer tech and its implications as well as more of a focus on developing the cast. In that sense, I think Ido and Maya work well together. The ninja-style run through the tunnel was nice too. The I-machines are still getting most of the screen time, though we did see more human faces this week (under circumstances that make me feel mildly suspicious about the current state of a couple of them). Given the narrative threads they're setting up about memories, I am glad that the show probably isn't going to be too episodic in structure if they can keep up the pace.

ID0 - 2

C9qbJo7WsAAWB5p.jpg:large

OH SHIT IT'S KOYASU. Final boss confirmed.

I'm still on board. The dynamics with the cast is easily the best thing about this show so far, and I'm glad they didn't dance around the issue of
Rick and Ido not having human bodies.

Clov

I have... they still don't click with me. I haven't played it since the first week I had it. Then tried again tonight and idk... Morgana just annoys the shit out of me with every word and Ryuji just sucks

I don't mind Morgana, and I'm not a big fan of Ryuji either, but... I like him much better than Junpei from P3 and especially Yosuke from P4. I hated Yosuke. Ryuji's a big step up from him in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom