• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Little Monster - Completed

I'm actually surprised how much I ended up legitimately enjoying this. A lot of times, romantic comedies in anime end up trying my patience because I either ended up losing interest in the "will they/won't they" dynamic or hate how the romantic rivals end up being handled. In both cases, I'd say this series managed to mostly avoid the pratfalls that instantly turn me off.

The two leads, Shizuku and Haru pretty much confirm right out the gate that they're interested in one another, so there's no real song and dance about when they'll confess. What I liked here was how the relationship focused more on the two overcoming their communication issues with each other and actually being emotionally honest.I also dug that, for the most part, the supporting cast's personal lives didn't literally revolve around the two leads.

If I had one problem it's that Haru in particular can skirt the "Haruhi Suzumiya" line of being overtly self-centered and lacking empathy for other's desires. It never broke my interest in the show but there were a few times where I felt the writers started to overplay their hand there.

duckroll

This mecha is gonna show up in Recreators right?

C9q_UMu_ZUQAAsa_GS.jpg

Because if it doesn't someone needs to go to jail.

Yes the pilot looks like Shinji.

Morgana is the best. nyahahaha
Except for one part in the game and the 'go to sleep' meme I like Morgana too. Great healer in the party. I mean the only other solid healer in the game is
Haru
and she's
introduced so late game
i didn't feel it was worth changing my party dynamic

Quasar

Yeah, I saw some saying that.
Its sad that Amagami was pretty darn good but it was just down from there with the following series.

Well I don't think it was bad, just very bland. Though I guess in some measures really mediocre is worse than actively bad.

Certainly a big disappointment for me though given I really love Amagami and how few anthology romance shows there are so i was quite hyped for it.

Quasar

My Little Monster - Completed

I'm actually surprised how much I ended up legitimately enjoying this. A lot of times, romantic comedies in anime end up trying my patience because I either ended up losing interest in the "will they/won't they" dynamic or hate how the romantic rivals end up being handled. In both cases, I'd say this series managed to mostly avoid the pratfalls that instantly turn me off.

The two leads, Shizuku and Haru pretty much confirm right out the gate that they're interested in one another, so there's no real song and dance about when they'll confess. What I liked here was how the relationship focused more on the two overcoming their communication issues with each other and actually being emotionally honest.I also dug that, for the most part, the supporting cast's personal lives didn't literally revolve around the two leads.

If I had one problem it's that Haru in particular can skirt the "Haruhi Suzumiya" line of being overtly self-centered and lacking empathy for other's desires. It never broke my interest in the show but there were a few times where I felt the writers started to overplay their hand there.

I quite liked the manga ending too.

Yeah, I saw some saying that.
Its sad that Amagami was pretty darn good but it was just down from there with the following series.

The last arc is alright, if a bit generic. I'd put it above Rihoko's and Sae's arcs. I thought they did some interesting things with having interconnecting events/details throughout all of the routes.The last three girls that were shown in the OP seem like they could be more interesting

Qurupeke

Except for one part in the game and the 'go to sleep' meme I like Morgana too. Great healer in the party. I mean the only other solid healer in the game is
Haru
and she's
introduced so late game

But Makoto is the best support. Knows all the important healing spells, and more. And you get her early. She has decent damage too.

Jintor

I wish she had a more useful ma-buff but it's okay DEF+ to everyone is okay.

if only I could up her damage output... I never did level her to get the severe nuke spell. Oh well, time for my second playthrough.

I might not even change my romance link lol. Makoto too stronk

Yu-Gi-Oh! ZEXAL Season 1 Episode 13 – The Number Hunter: Part 1
C9sRNzRXsAEoOW0.jpg:small

oh awesome, Kaito is animated and he sounds and acts great, so different from ARC-V Kaito.

His dueling is a bit intense, Yuuma might be the one getting decked this time unless he and Astral can quickly build their overlay networks on their first turn.

The jokes about Yuuma hair are hilarious, the guards saying to watch out for his hair especially lol.

zulux21

Well yeah. Its not like anyone makes any anime that long anymore. At best you get 26 episodes.

there are still plenty aimed at kids that go longer.
chii's sweet home (2016)
youkai watch
Aikatsu Stars!
PriPara
monster hunter stories
puzzle and dragons cross
cardfight vanguard G
Heybot
kyokai no rinne
ect :p

most of that is we are just getting things shifted to more seasons instead of just constant eps.

I mean soma, my hero academia, the monogatari series, attack on titan, ect are all more than 26 episodes, just not done at once like the kid shows.

Haru
and she's
introduced so late game

I would argue the main character is also a great healer in the party, especially when you set up some persona that is immune to physical and has no weaknesses with boosted heal as your heal bot (which you can do by like level 25 lol)

though given that my main character is named
Haru
it does still make it that person :3

Cornbread78

Nana ep.31
YO42S3m.png

Not much else to say here, but DAAMMNN.
The $hit life throws at you sometimes can be completely overwhelming. This is like everyone's worst fear at this age personified. What I didn't expect was
Takumi's reaction. That phone call to Nobu was like, Holy $HIT!
This is pretty hardcore stuff here that I wasn't expecting the show to tackle, but I should have known since the constant reminders have been there with Ren and Nana's relationship and the subplot of how Nana is handling things... Oh Hachi...

Line_HTX

Akashic Records 01

This guy doesn't give a fuck about being the substitute teacher, and that blonde witch must be really powerful to put that recommendation through.

Deadly

Akashic Records 3
Hmm they blazed through the content abit quickly. The fight in the manga is much cooler. The bad guy was supposed to fight with both casted magic swords and magic swords. Felt like much more of a threat.

Saga of Tanya the Evil - Completed

Ended up watching the Funimation Dub here and the last episode released today. Pretty good anime overall. The premise of a Japanese Business man being reborn as a Loli Nazi turned me off as first but watching it more, this was a pretty interesting take on war and how winning battles only bleeds into future wars.

I liked the Tanya's rival that is being set up for the next season is literally named Mary Sue. lol

Cornbread78

Bastard Sensei ep.3
Well, my impression of this show has gone up over the past couple episodes. This was pretty damn good stuff in action and tone.

blurr

Morgana's fine, if not great. It's the part where the game uses Morgana to force us to do something that's annoying.

P4G used the MC's own thoughts.

John Blade

194207dd9df329dcc66bf0bc07eefe8c.gif

Geeze....I am crying a bit here from that scene at the beginning of the episode. Remind me a bit of Clannad of the infamous scene.

John Blade

This would get me to watch the show.

Or might make me run

Depending on which scene from Clannad...

Still watching this episode right now. I guess it might not affect you as much as like from Clannad when it hit that scene as you have daughter. But it still hit you hard especially how you follow the characters in the show from what they're at the beginning to the end. Also, how the tone of the show when you watching during the incident. I might go into detail when I do a quick impression of the show. I would say you should watch it as it's actually an easy watch and you can pick up quickly what happen. Now, need to get though the last half of this episode.

Edited: Ahh geeze.....it hurt even more at the end of this episode. Damm it...those Japanese people know how to pull the right string to make people cry a bit here.

there are still plenty aimed at kids that go longer.
chii's sweet home (2016)
youkai watch
Aikatsu Stars!
PriPara
monster hunter stories
puzzle and dragons cross
cardfight vanguard G
Heybot
kyokai no rinne
ect :p

most of that is we are just getting things shifted to more seasons instead of just constant eps.

I mean soma, my hero academia, the monogatari series, attack on titan, ect are all more than 26 episodes, just not done at once like the kid shows.

I would argue the main character is also a great healer in the party, especially when you set up some persona that is immune to physical and has no weaknesses with boosted heal as your heal bot (which you can do by like level 25 lol)

though given that my main character is named
Haru
it does still make it that person :3
Who the hell has access to every persona like fucking Satan, vishnu, metatron and beelzebub and wastes it on a healer. My mc ain't no healer scrub

blurr

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar 09

The g̶a̶m̶e̶ show's pace and character writing is at another level compared to its setting. You probably couldn't even doubt that it's set in a video game world but that knowledge in mind kind of undercuts what it builds and how it handles itself as a character drama. Granted it may not have explicitly mentioned that but it did imply. One could argue that it's fine if it tried to build such a story with that setting but it isn't to say it is necessary either(with the way it builds and uses the world).

That aside, there are many moments that the fan service shots feel out of place. The first half of this episode had a very relaxing set of sequences that concluded with a serene sunset illustrated with its watercolor style art and a color palette that dabs some life into its otherwise somber mood, it was immediately followed by a mid-episode frame of Haruhiro's trainer in a very suggestive position that just made me lose it. There were many such moments with his trainer while they were trying to have a conversation and undergoing training. This pretty much reminds me of No Game No Life, while not as bad, it is still kind of annoying.

I like you Grimgar but you've got issues and they aren't that hard to get over.

Ascheroth

The g̶a̶m̶e̶ show's pace and character writing is at another level compared to its setting. You probably couldn't even doubt that it's set in a video game world but that knowledge in mind kind of undercuts what it builds and how it handles itself as a character drama. Granted it may not have explicitly mentioned that but it did imply. One could argue that it's fine if it tried to build such a story with that setting but it isn't to say it is necessary either(with the way it builds and uses the world).

That aside, there are many moments that the fan service shots feel out of place. This first half of this episode had a very relaxing set of sequences that concluded with a serene sunset illustrated with its watercolor style art and a color palette that dabs some life into its otherwise somber mood, it immediately followed a mid-episode frame of Haruhiro's trainer in a very suggestive position that just made me lose it. There were many such moments with his trainer while they were trying to have a conversation and undergoing training. This pretty much reminds me of No Game No Life, while not as bad, it is still kind of annoying.

Grimgar is not secretly a "trapped in a video game" story, just your regular isekai fantasy world with video game elements.
Unless you did mean that and I just misread.

Totall agree with the other points though, that drove me crazy while watching too.

That aside, there are many moments that the fan service shots feel out of place. This first half of this episode had a very relaxing set of sequences that concluded with a serene sunset illustrated with its watercolor style art and a color palette that dabs some life into its otherwise somber mood, it immediately followed a mid-episode frame of Haruhiro's trainer in a very suggestive position that just made me lose it. There were many such moments with his trainer while they were trying to have a conversation and undergoing training. This pretty much reminds me of No Game No Life, while not as bad, it is still kind of annoying.

I agree; Grimgar is a show at odds with itself. I'd like the somber, reflective drama it aspires to be but the video game and sexual LN tropes it indulges in get in the way of me appreciating that aspect of it. Hopefully one day Ryosuke Nakamura can direct another work that feels as fully realized as his earlier work did.

Cornbread78

Sukasuka ep.2
W5hDPQ3.png

Yeah, this show is going to wreck me after all is said and done. They dug real deep into the world and it's lore in this episode, as well as spelled out the exactly what was going to happen to these girls, both the older and younger ones. The show does have some hidden "LN" moments, but they keep them subtle and subdued, which is surprising.. The deeper story in here is what is going to be tough to watch as they continue to deepen the characters and I really like the playfulness of the catgirl above.

Oh. Duh haha should have seen the highlight.

I don't know if it's about being trapped in a video game world 100%, but more than likely. Seems like it's either video game world or people being transported into a fantasy world. I can't recall anything major that made it seem like a video game world outside of the more video gamey aspects to how they gain skills.

zulux21

This would get me to watch the show.

Or might make me run

Depending on which scene from Clannad...
tokyo magnatidue is a show best experienced without knowing what it is about. you should just watch it and enjoy it, it's a short one just 11 eps I think.
Nana ep.31
YO42S3m.png

Not much else to say here, but DAAMMNN.
The $hit life throws at you sometimes can be completely overwhelming. This is like everyone's worst fear at this age personified. What I didn't expect was
Takumi's reaction. That phone call to Nobu was like, Holy $HIT!
This is pretty hardcore stuff here that I wasn't expecting the show to tackle, but I should have known since the constant reminders have been there with Ren and Nana's relationship and the subplot of how Nana is handling things... Oh Hachi...
I haven't asked in a while... are you enjoying Nana :p?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom