• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

tokyomagnitude8001.jpg

Just finish watching this show in two days back to back. Have to say, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is a very easy show to watch and manage to grab me into the story without those flashy stuff you tend to see in most anime at that time and even now. It also do something which is hard to do in most anime which spark an emotional connection.

You follow a girl name Mirai and her little brother Yuuki in this story. Mirai have this downbeat attitude who feel like people are picking at her and always have a negative attitude in life while her brother, Yuuki, have an optimist at heart who believes everything has to turn out alright at the end. As you continue with the show, they introduce another female character, Mari, who is a motorcycling delivery woman. She serves as a guide and guardian to the children during the trouble event of the story (aka: earthquake in Japan).

The plot of the show mostly focus the trio and their mission to go back to their families during the earthquake events. Along the way, those trio have to go through stress and struggle of the events of how to deal with the issue their see during their journey from death and disaster after the major earth quake (aka: aftershock, fire, building collapse, etc). I actually like the story and tone of the show quite a bit. At the beginning the show start slow and uneventful but this grow slowly as you continue to watch to a very powerful and touching ending which end strongly. Also, the character development between those three characters grow to the point it affect them very emotionally. The big one is coming from Mirai who like I say before have a negative attitude at the begging of the show. She change very dramatically at the end of the show as she have witness quite a bit of emotional stuff which make her realize how life is very fragile and that you tend to forget it too much until something hit you hard and how easy it can be lost like what happen in this earthquake.

The animation for the show is mix and inconsistent. Background animation from the scene are very detail and the damage you see in the earthquake do look nice to see. Unfortunately, character animation isn't much to talk about. It's simple in design with few detail look. It does look odd a bit when you see it for the 1st time but you kinda accept it as you continue watching. They're also CG animation in the show but you see it spread here and there. You notice it when it's been use but it isn't a big eye sore and do get the job done for the most part.

For the music, it's nothing special to talk about to tell the truth. It get the job done for the tone of the scene but it's very unforgettable for the most part. Also, the intro and ending music theme didn't catch my attention after listen it for the 1st time and basically skip it when I am watching.

Overall, Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 is worth the watch if you never watch it yet. The big part of the show charm is come down to how it tell a human story told through the naked eyes of the three characters and how it affect them during this earth quake incident. The human realism and overcoming the hopelessness from those three characters in this story is what make me like the show much more then I expected.

Cornbread78

Fukumenkei Noise ep.2
Gosh, this part tore me up a little. I mean, this girl is highly obsessive about this Momo dude, but the backstory explained a lot of the emotional side of the set-up to today's circumstances perfectly. It also explains the below perfectly....

Internal monologue like this is absolutely great. Why try to hide what he is truly feeling about the situation? You want to "win" right? I hear ya brotha, I hear ya...

This is definitely Shoujo and there is no hiding that fact, but at the same time, although her obsessiveness is on the border of craziness, there is a personal connection there that you cannot skip out on. This was pretty good

tokyo magnatidue is a show best experienced without knowing what it is about. you should just watch it and enjoy it, it's a short one just 11 eps I think.
I haven't asked in a while... are you enjoying Nana :p?

I've heard mixed reviews on it, but I'll give it a shot eventually.

In regards to Nana, yeah, it pretty damn good. I love the technique they use for story telling and changing perspectives along the way. This newest plat twist though.... Damn, I was not expecting THAT!

Line_HTX

Akashic Records 02

Holy fuck, this is stupid dumb yet I liked the episode except for that one awful part? It was an OK world building and substitute teacher not wanting to be there just because he has to teach temporarily was alright. I did like his whole "FUCK TEXTBOOKS" moment and giving the whole class a hands-on lecture, so to speak, lol

zulux21

Gosick Episode 1 dubbed

hard to really gauge how the dub was given only like 5 characters have speaking lines, but the voices for the characters that did have lines are fine. Beyond that I forgot how bitchy victorique was in the first episode despite the soft spoken voice.

I believe it's the only episode she really comes off like that though as they quickly move onto stuff that isn't just her bossing people around and whining that she is bored.

Ascheroth

Bastard Teacher 03

Oh hey, we finally got the OP in the third episode - at the end, lol. And it's pretty awesome. Well, the song is, the video isn't anything special.

First episode without a shitty tasteless scene somewhere inbetween.
And it was pretty damn good as a result. Like, "I'm legit baffled why this is good"-good.
Nice soundtrack and action, tension, hype moments, etc. Quite bloody too.

Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? aka What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? aka SukaSuka 02

They finally reached the basement :O
Ups, sorry, wrong show.

Anyway, this was great. Much worldbuilding and set-up to the inevitable tragic moments that will make cornbread cry.
Hopefully Willem can prevent things though, the kids are so cute : (

This had a pretty great OP too. Much appreciated.

Szadek

WorldEnd: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? - Ep. 1
This was kind of cute and the little bit of action we saw wasn't too bad either.
Music godlike and reason enough to keep watching.

Fukumenkei Noise - Ep. 1
Certainly not a good looing show, but the main character and her singing is kind of endering.
Will give it a few more episodes.

Armed Girl's Machiavellism - Ep. 1
The setting is weird and worried what the autor might try to say with it.
Other than it looks like a pretty cool Shounen action anime.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul - Ep. 2
OP of the season for sure.
Nice to see that Rita is back. Wouldn't be the same without her.
The plot and world building is progressing nicely. I'm very happy that they aren't half assing the story like they did in S1.

Boku no Hero Academia 2nd Season - Ep. 3
Pretty cool episode, but now the odds are stacked pretty hard against Izuku.
That should be fun.

Quan Zhi Gao Shou - Ep. 1

Holy fuck, these fight scenes are hot garbage.
Other than that it was alright, except that it felt super rushed.

Kabukibu - Ep. 1
This episode fails really hard at explaining to the viewer why the should give a shit about kabuki, since it's too busy being a generic school club anime.

Wood Man

Is using the term "reverse harem" acceptable when describing a female lead with several male suitors?

I often used it, but recently heard it bothers some people, saying just call it a "harem."

By the definition I always assumed a harem was a group of women around a single male. Am I wrong about this? Just curious what others think.

jbug617

Banned
Is using the term "reverse harem" acceptable when describing a female lead with several male suitors?

I often used it, but recently heard it bothers some people, saying just call it a "harem."

By the definition I always assumed a harem was a group of women around a single male. Am I wrong about this? Just curious what others think.

Otome?

SukaSuka 2

Why? Are paedophiles really that attractive an audience to pander to? I don't get Japan, I really don't. Anime is trash. What am I even doing?

Cornbread78

SukaSuka 2

Why? Are paedophiles really that attractive an audience to pander to? I don't get Japan, I really don't. Anime is trash. What am I even doing?

Huh? What are you even reacting to? The message scene with no nudity or alternative motives?

I thought they might have gone all LN there, but they didn't thankfully...

John Blade

b708287945bce6f63639c6f1cdd81ebd0f2b7446_hq.jpg

Welp, I guess I will get into my next anime backlogged right now and will go though Amagami SS. Only heard it's those Japanese dating sim so, I guess it will be those high school romance. If anyone want to inform me something before I start to watch it, might be a good time to inform me now. Man...I am in a roll of watching anime right now after slow down watching anime for few months now.

John Blade

Next two series I'm going to watch are Woman Called Fujiko Mine and Michiko to Hatchin.

Woman Called Fujiko Mine is one in my backlogged I need to get into. I guess when I come back from flight I will watch it. Or maybe during the long flight but fear it might be too much to watch during the trip.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Woman Called Fujiko Mine is one in my backlogged I need to get into. I guess when I come back from flight I will watch it. Or maybe during the long flight but fear it might be too much to watch during the trip.

Might get some looks if you watch that one on a trip.

John Blade

Might get some looks if you watch that one on a trip.

I am guessing the same thing as I did see some screenshot of the nudity. Might not be a wise idea to watch it during flight. I need to make a list of anime show I could watch without the fear of people looking at me oddly. The list right now is the show below I am going to watch during the 21 hours flight to go to my destination and another 21 hours to get back.

Kamichu
Summer Wars
Wolf Children

The list below are show I am considering to add on the list but still thinking.

Yukikaze
Super Atragon
A Little Princess Sara
Flag

Either way, just need some anime to make the trip to my destination much more easier for the time to pass by but not going to watch anime all the way as I might be going to sleep in most of the time if I can.

SukaSuka 2

Yeah the scene with the cat girl on the bed was off as was the weird aggresiveness and massage as climax guff at the end. Like the show makes it clear he is a good guy via the script and vo but some ugly male gaze and cheap pandering in the shot choices and direction soured this a touch for me. It pisses me off as otherwise this is shaping up well, the kids are weapons grade cute and behave more like actual kids than in most anime. This will not end well in a world that is clearly treating humans as attack dogs. I'm going to keep watching but it is frustrating to me that I've already made this a "recommendation with caveats" in my head.

Beyblade Burst Episode 25
C9u1XUfXgAA9apj.jpg:small

I love a winning Valt.

Daigo and Shu conversation was so good even if one sided. Those tears from Daigo, I teared up. Though I dont want him to quit just dont use a dirty move. I hope the plot wont move to where he permanently is out.

Yeah the scene with the cat girl on the bed was off as was the weird aggresiveness and massage as climax guff at the end. Like the show makes it clear he is a good guy via the script and vo but some ugly male gaze and cheap pandering in the shot choices and direction soured this a touch for me. It pisses me off as otherwise this is shaping up well, the kids are weapons grade cute and behave more like actual kids than in most anime. This will not end well in a world that is clearly treating humans as attack dogs. I'm going to keep watching but it is frustrating to me that I've already made this a "recommendation with caveats" in my head.

It really is a shame that this happens as often as it does. There are a bunch of shows that would be almost perfect for recommending if not for one or two things that makes it a no-go for anybody new to the medium.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
First, send the author of SukaSuka to jail.

Then, send everyone who worked on the anime to jail.

Finally, send everyone who watched the anime to jail.

Gundam Build Fighters Episode 18
download.png

As much as the show wants me to hate these two, I actually wish they had gotten more focus. I know this show is all about hot blooded gunpla rivalries, and that's great, but there's not enough characters who are straight up about winning. The combat style of the Renato brothers was refreshing in that regard.

Plus they're not Mao.

That's very appreciated.

BEYBLADE VForce Episode 22

Instant repairing of cyber bit beasts is so unfair, though it was almost defeated. I guess overwhelming power can overcome self repair functionality. Maybe Kai can be the one to win. I hope.

Saint Shields are good friends/mentors.

Kuro

Was interested in Shuumatsu until the sexualization of a kid. God damn it Japan why does Anime have to keep doing this. I didn't really pay attention to it as a teenager but now that I'm older that shit don't fly with me.

John Blade

Geeze....a bit to fast to confess your love to Haruka, Junichi? Man...he got shot down fast because of what he did. Not a smart move I have to say and even worst as this is 2nd rejection after his big on 2 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom