• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix has not approved its characters for Astro Bot

Draugoth

Gold Member
astro-bot-tied-1.webp

According to Doucet, they approached Square Enix about it, but it wasn’t able to get it approved.

“It’s difficult to comment on that,” Doucet notes, and added, “We really respect the choice of each publisher.”

For those not old enough to remember, Final Fantasy 7 was the first game in the franchise to be released on a PlayStation platform, and this was after Square Enix decided to develop the game on the original PlayStation (PS1) instead of the Nintendo 64, with the PS1’s CD format cited as the main reason for Square to jump ship. This was noteworthy, as before FF7’s release on the PS1, Nintendo was the go-to platform for anything Final Fantasy, and the franchise’s jump from Nintendo to Sony signaled an end of an era, and essentially won the console wars then.

Source

Understandable. S-E’s current disposition is alignment with PS is hurting their ability to expand their audience, so the impression of being wed to another’s brand is a sensitive matter.

Plus S-E has their own collaboration series in Dissidia, so there is likely some concern about cannibalizing their own franchise.

That said, give us a f*cking Vivi astrobot YOU FUCKS.

Topher

Gold Member
Understandable. S-E’s current disposition is alignment with PS is hurting their ability to expand their audience, so the impression of being wed to another’s brand is a sensitive matter.

Plus S-E has their own collaboration series in Dissidia, so there is likely some concern about cannibalizing their own franchise.

That very well may be some of the concerns at SE, but either way they are overthinking it. It shouldn't be that hard. I mean.......Microsoft owned Crash Bandicoot is in the game.

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

nial

Lol, they don't give a shit. They just want a vast amount of money and special DLC royalties.

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

I'm not surprised, for big companies the default if another organisation asks to use your IP is an unequivocal 'no' and there's no further discussion to be had.

FeralEcho

There's a rumor circulating that Square asked for money, they might be kind of hard up right now with every game underperforming expectations...
Makes sense but still, it's free publicity,how desperate can you be as a company sheesh...

Im old enough to remember that FF7 was made by SquareSoft not Square Enix. Totally different companies.

In my day, Squaresoft was Legendairy but I guess, today, Squaresoft doesn't matter anymore...

As they say, it's videogame history now.

I'm still gonna play FF7 Rebirth on my PS5 Pro <3

Last edited:
Wait I am pretty sure I saw Light's sword in Astro's Playroom. But I don't blame SE. Astro's Playroom was free but Sony is making money on AstroBot.

Soon a lot of money with those 20 million copies sold!

Last edited:
I'm not surprised, for big companies the default if another organisation asks to use your IP is an unequivocal 'no' and there's no further discussion to be had.
This statement makes no sense when every other big publisher and studio including Microsoft owned Activision Blizzard allowed their IP to be used for this

AmuroChan

This statement makes no sense when every other big publisher and studio including Microsoft owned Activision Blizzard allowed their IP to be used for this

Not to mention of all the third party publishers out there, S-E has probably been the biggest recipient of Sony money for the various exclusivity deals they've done together.

SSfox

Square Enix need to consider releasing a Final Fantasy in everything beside Playstation so we can laugh

Boss Mog

Me and my friends were speculating this was the case when the game came out since there were no SE characters at all.

Shin-Ra

Tetsuya Nomura and Roberto Ferrari require all captured scenes with their art to be watermarked but SIE/Asobi weren’t prepared to do this on a whole-game basis or implement a character tag/in-frame detect system to do it dynamically.

*I made this up.
*But there’s probably some truth to it.

SenkiDala

Multiple times

08_editparty_wide-ae7f44b3759eba73075434cd4e4ca0b368e63248.jpg

They 100% just wanted money.
I didn't mean they don't want chibi, I mean they want to preserve their art style, even though Astrobot is popular you might not want your art style (normal or chibi) to be changed in another game. As much as I love AstroBot I don't like its art style so I can understand. But yeah it's highly possible that it's just a matter of money.

squidilix

This is one of the main problem on Square Enix and not just for other publisher. Itself too.

On FF Final Bar, devs can't include Rikku or Lulu FFX because "too complicated with original Producers and need long talk" and each time they need to add a character, they need to talk with original producer, teams or designer of the game. Same thing for adding songs.

Square Enix is just a clown management

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
I can't believe this not being matter of money.

Square Enix might be the single most greedy gaming-related company on the planet. I'm sure not many people are aware here, but SE had the guts to ask $14,000 for one single Final Fantasy 1:6 Prime 1 statue. For contex, Sony's IP Prime 1 statues in larger 1:4 scale go for $1,500 max.

Top Bottom