• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix to Double Down on Xbox Releases, Final Fantasy 14 Producer Says

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Yoshida told Eurogamer that Final Fantasy 14's recent release on Xbox was met with a "really strong response" and is just the "starting point" for more Square Enix games to launch on the platform.
"With Final Fantasy 14's release on Xbox, [Microsoft Gaming CEO] Phil Spencer spent a lot of his time and a lot of effort and put in a lot of hard work into making it a reality," Yoshida said. "So we would like to make the best of that and further deepen the relationship with Xbox gamers moving forward."
"However, at Square Enix, we have been changing our policy," he continued. "So now we are moving towards the policy of releasing our games on a multiplatform basis, and we really want as many players as possible to play our titles.

"With Final Fantasy 14 as the starting point, we do want to release more Square Enix games on Xbox, and there will be more of our titles released on Xbox. So I hope players will look forward to future things to come on the platform."
This shift in strategy arrived after a huge fall in profits was revealed in May 2024, when Square Enix declared it would "shift to a multiplatform strategy" through a three year plan to reboot the company.

Though several games have arrived on Xbox and Nintendo platforms over the years, PlayStation has been a focus for Square Enix as it's released the likes of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake trilogy and Final Fantasy 16 on PlayStation exclusively. Both of these were well received but failed to meet financial expectations.

XXL

I see nothing wrong with that. Xbox gamers who’ve been complaining better show up and actually purchase these games though.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

Astray

Square has some of the strangest publishing strategies I've ever seen.

They talk a big game about releasing things on Xbox, then they just.. skip the platform for multiple releases. So basically they lose out on the Sony exclusivity money, and they still haven't built an audience on Xbox.

Now with the Xbox platform potentially imploding before our eyes, they have managed to come out of it with the worst possible outcome: They didn't get the Gamepass and marketing money like Sega did (those guys made out like fucking bandits for basically zero downside so far), nor did they get the cost savings of not releasing on there that other smaller Japanese publishers did (like Falcom).

They somehow are stranded in the middle of nowhere with no real strategy on how to increase their profits or make their budgets smaller.

Metnut

PC is a much bigger deal than XBox.

If Sony wants to keep make FF games to timed exclusive it’s probably costing them about 1M sales up front and maybe lowering the audience for the games long term. Seems like Sony should be paying $75M at least per game. My guess is Sony isn’t paying half that for FF16 or Rebirth.

Just release it there.

If game gets enough momentum and hype, players will buy on any platform.

If you make something to middling reception, cant really blame anyone to prioritise what’s already available to them.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
When not even 10 percent of the install base on one platform is buying your game you gotta look at other options.

I'm convinced sony had some dirt on that last square president. They pretty much committed big franchise suicide going exclusive on FFXVI. Now the pc crew know it's wack and only a small group will but it next month.

I can't name a Square Enix game I have any interest in.
My Steam account has none, not a one.
I would have to check out the Epic Store to see if they gave away any.
I think the first Octopath Traveler on Gamepass is the first one I've booted up. didn't finish it.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb

They talk a big game about releasing things on Xbox, then they just.. skip the platform for multiple releases. So basically they lose out on the Sony exclusivity money, and they still haven't built an audience on Xbox.

Now with the Xbox platform potentially imploding before our eyes, they have managed to come out of it with the worst possible outcome: They didn't get the Gamepass and marketing money like Sega did (those guys made out like fucking bandits for basically zero downside so far), nor did they get the cost savings of not releasing on there that other smaller Japanese publishers did (like Falcom).

They somehow are stranded in the middle of nowhere with no real strategy on how to increase their profits or make their budgets smaller.
I think they just have a monkey throwing darts at a dartboard to help them determine which games will get released on which platforms.

Darsxx82

It is clear that that agreement and the image of the hug with Phil Spencer at the Square Conference was not the feigned act without substance that many here said...

Square's commitment to multiplatformity (the trend among all video game publishers) is clear. We will see how long it lasts because Veleta is the reference company in terms of commercial strategy and hence its situation.

Then, it is gratifying to see the person in charge of a Studio recognize realities and facts. In this case, if you stop launching a certain franchise on a platform, it is clear that you cannot expect a powerful fan base for that franchise on said platform. For it to grow requires support in years and launch day one.

"And it is a fact that currently, Final Fantasy 16 is not available on Xbox. So with that in mind, it is true that because of the amount of time that has elapsed since then, the Final Fantasy fanbase on Xbox has reduced"

"With Final Fantasy 14 as an opportunity, we can take this opportunity to strengthen the community on Xbox towards the Final Fantasy franchise. I think this is where we would take more communication and work on establishing the community moving forward. And this is important, not for Final Fantasy 14, but, I would say, for Square Enix. With Final Fantasy 14's release on Xbox, Phil Spencer spent a lot of his time and a lot of effort and put in a lot of hard work into making it a reality. So we would like to make the best of that and further deepen the relationship with Xbox gamers moving forward."

cireza

Gold Member
They won't. The majority of the xbox gamers who actually cared for this genre jumped ship a while ago (like myself). If you want Japanese rpgs, you need a Japanese console, or have enough patience for the game to arrive on pc.
So people on PC can wait, but people on Xbox can't ? Why wouldn't people on Xbox be able to wait exactly ?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
With Final Fantasy 14's release on Xbox, Phil Spencer spent a lot of his time and a lot of effort and put in a lot of hard work into making it a reality. So we would like to make the best of that and further deepen the relationship with Xbox gamers moving forward.

My man Phil out there, building bridges between the east and the west.

💚

Put pixel remaster and remake on it, then you can play every mainline FF game on one console (FFXIII trilogy is BC).

BC and Enhanced, no streaming bullshit.

Immediately preferable.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Literally the most perfect response to how Square has been acting over the last 5 years. You are spot on!

DaGwaphics

Going day one on PC would be a smart move for them, though on some of the releases they've done that anyway. And, with as similar as the Xbox consoles are to the PC version, you've got to think the opportunity cost there is low. Probably still a win for them even if games in the typical Square style don't exactly light up on Xbox.

Last edited:
Top Bottom