• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI and Final Fantasy VII Rebirth underperformed, says Square Enix

While they definitely should consider more open approach. Most of their multiplatform games also underperformed so its a deeper problem at sqaure enix. I like those games alot but most people these don't ain't that much into them.
It’s so sad what happened to Octopath II that had trouble clearing a million units after some months been available at most platforms.

Darsxx82

When you typically release a staggered PC version, you do it for margin and enhanced long-tail sales, not volume.

The caveat of this is that you need to release a well-done port, which Square has evidently not done here, in fact they have not done this in quite a few AAA games lately.

Square is an unserious company to begin with, and has a lot of structural issues with their IP and studios that require a whole thread to sift through.
In that aspect I was talking in general, not in Square in particular which, as you say, has a problem when it comes to completing good ports for PC or even ports on other platforms that the vast majority of large publishers or even indi publishers do not have.

Yes, Square should start by solving that issue, but it doesn't take away from what has been said: You can't expect the same sales for a port released 1-2 years later as you can launching it day one on that same platform because, in that time, you've lost the hype of the launch, expectations and a negative word of mouth can be fatal too.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The problem is that FF is latched to the idea of nostalgia and the fans are growing up. FF isn’t as marketable to the younger generation anymore. Remember FFXV came out 7 years before FFXVI and that’s a big gap already.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
If you love games this should be irrelevant. If (when) a Gears of War Collections comes to PS5 I'll be there day 1, couldn't care less that it released years and years ago on Xbox. If PlayStation magically gets a Super Mario Galaxy collection I'm there day 1 etc etc, literally apply it to any game I have interest in. Now is the time for PC fanboys to pull up or shut up, I'm assuming you bought it?

I bought 16 for PC. But I am also well aware of the game's critiques levied against it on this site and other internet outlets. Do you honestly believe negative word of mouth on a game that's been on the market for a year won't affect it's PC sales? When you release games day one on everything you get day one hype, and blind day one purchases. It's important.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That's a pity. I enjoyed both a lot.

Hopefully the pc releases are successful.

Let's hope so.

image.png

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
I bought 16 for PC. But I am also well aware of the game's critiques levied against it on this site and other internet outlets. Do you honestly believe negative word of mouth on a game that's been on the market for a year won't affect it's PC sales? When you release games day one on everything you get day one hype, and blind day one purchases. It's important.

Again, if I'm personally interested in a game I really don't give a fuck what others have to say or when it releases on my platform of choice. Darkest Dungeon 2 came out on PC last year, lots of chatter about how different it was to the first game and many saying the first game was superior. Came to PS5 in July, was there day 1 as I always intended, it's one of my favourite releases this year.

"Negative word of mouth", that can apply to most games released, everyone on a forum like this (or elsewhere) has an opinion and not all opinions are equal lol. FF16 has an 87 Metacritic (if you care about that, I judge things for myself). Anyone who has been gaming a long time should know what they like and not be influenced by chatter whether good or ill.

Madflavor

FFXIII and FFXV were both on the Xbox. If they continued by having Remake and FFXVI available on that platform, along with Day 1 PC versions, they wouldn't be in this predicament. The Final Fantasy fanbase was getting older and the gaming landscape was changing. The series was not the juggernaut it once was, anyone could've told you that. But instead of continuing to gain new audiences by casting as wide of a net as possible, they handicapped themselves by taking a paycheck from Sony. Typical corporate thinking of looking only at tomorrow. Short term gain, long term loss.

Felessan

Wake up Square, JRPGs are not a genre that sells a lot these days. I still love JRPGs though.
It sells a LOT. Actually market bigger than ever. It just changed considerably.
The problem is that this particular genre affected by gaas-fication the most. Especially in Asia which always was a primary market for anime games.
And SE is lagging behind, they tried to appeal to western userbase (FF16) and nostalgy (FF7R2) but it's still not enough to offset losses to games like Genshin and co.

Fabieter

Again, if I'm personally interested in a game I really don't give a fuck what others have to say or when it releases on my platform of choice. Darkest Dungeon 2 came out on PC last year, lots of chatter about how different it was to the first game and many saying the first game was superior. Came to PS5 in July, was there day 1 as I always intended, it's one of my favourite releases this year.

"Negative word of mouth", that can apply to most games released, everyone on a forum like this (or elsewhere) has an opinion and not all opinions are equal lol. FF16 has an 87 Metacritic (if you care about that, I judge things for myself). Anyone who has been gaming a long time should know what they like and not be influenced by chatter whether good or ill.

Sometimes it's even the other way around. I don't think dark souls 1 would have sold as good as it did if it was day one pc in 2011. It came with alot of hype to pc.

Its a bullshit take that day one is all that matters. Most indie games these days are day one an pc and later on other platforms. Like you said if the game is good and there is an audience on the platform it will sell regardless.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's not August, is this old?
Edit: The dates are out of order, and the one dated today is even worse.

They uploaded the 'full' fiscal report today on the SE investor website which outlined the May meeting.

Previous reporting was done based on the financial call, now the presentation is publicly accessible.

IREQWbV.png

Last edited:

Madflavor

FFXIII and FFXV were both on the Xbox. If they continued by having Remake and FFXVI available on that platform, along with Day 1 PC versions, they wouldn't be in this predicament. No I don't think they would've sold super well on Xbox, but the combined sales of Xbox and PC probably would've made a real difference. The Final Fantasy fanbase was getting older and the gaming landscape was changing. The series was not the juggernaut it once was, anyone could've told you that. But instead of continuing to gain new audiences by casting as wide of a net as possible, they handicapped themselves by taking a paycheck from Sony. Typical corporate thinking of looking only at tomorrow. Short term gain, long term loss.

Astray

In that aspect I was talking in general, not in Square in particular which, as you say, has a problem when it comes to completing good ports for PC or even ports on other platforms that the vast majority of large publishers or even indi publishers do not have.

Yes, Square should start by solving that issue, but it doesn't take away from what has been said: You can't expect the same sales for a port released 1-2 years later as you can launching it day one on that same platform because, in that time, you've lost the hype of the launch, expectations and a negative word of mouth can be fatal too.
Square has a lot of problems with its leadership tbh.

They come out on stage with Phil Spencer and announce that Xbox will become key to them etc.. Then three games in a row or so skip the platform.

Maybe wait a bit on the announcements until you can immediately deliver on them?

Felessan

But instead of continuing to gain new audiences by casting as wide of a net as possible, they handicapped themselves by taking a paycheck from Sony. Typical corporate thinking of looking only at tomorrow. Short term gain, long term loss.
Gains on PC+Xbox can be pretty much ignored, being so small, most of them will buy (or already did) playstation anyway

Stu_Hart

Neo Member
FF isn't a huge seller like it used to be, and then you add to the fact that the devs are making dumb decisions like FF16 being an action game with just 1 character that you can use with a very repetitive and basic combat system, introducing whispers/alternate timelines in FF7 rebirth. You already don't have the casual market on lock, and then you lose your loyal fanbase as well...

Honestly i wouldn't be surprised if FF 17's lead platform would be the Switch 2 and the console version as basically a port. Since JRPG'S don't seem to be selling well on PS and they are nearly dead on Xbox sale wise with PC being the exception.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
They say sales were up 20 billion yen, so yeah, their games sold well. It’s just never enough for them.
In that same paragraph they mention HD games suffered an operating loss of 8.1B yen, up by 4B compared to last year.

Also just for comparison, Final Fantasy XV shipped 5 million units at launch and broke even on day 1. It surpassed 10 million sold in 2022.

StueyDuck

A lot of people in this thread clearly (or purposely) don't know what they are talking about.

Squeenix always has stupidly high forecasted expectations for their titles. They think they will get GTA/Fortnite numbers for every game.

Putting something on a different platform isn't going to fix these expectations being wrong, it only makes them worse.

IE. lets pretend they expected rebirth to sell 32 million copies. if they made it completely multiplatform all they are going to do is up that number to something ridiculous like 60-80 million, not be satisfied with the extra 5 or so mil they sell (at best)

the problem has nothing to do with anything other than Squeenix themselves having no idea how to read the market and promising the moon to investors.

Last edited:

DryvBy

How do you suppose that graph would look if it was PC vs Sony and not PC vs Sony/Nintendo/Xbox?

troy-laugh.gif
We can't tell. We could assume Xbox would be bringing console sales way down given they're bundled. Switch and PS are obviously what's making line go up. But if you were to read what all the PC bros online, they all seem to think everyone's jumping ship to get on the Steam train. And there's just so many more games and options on PC.

Please note "PC bros" are these master race types and not just normal PC gamers like myself.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Lol thats not the problem…Would you prefer they make a deal with Xbox? 😂
The problem is SE’s expectations. They think FF is 20Million+ selling games. They aren’t. But no matter how much they sell SE ‘expects’ more…

I prefer they not make a deal with anyone and sell their games to everyone at the same time.

Last edited:

graywolf323

What else did they release? Wasn't there also games like star ocean 2 remake and dragon quest switch games. They didn't say here they are disappointed with final fantasy. They are disappointed with the whole HD department.
yep, this is a bit disingenuous, you could easily interpret it as those two met expectations but didn’t exceed enough to make up for other games falling short

coachmcguirk91

Neo Member
FFXIII and FFXV were both on the Xbox. If they continued by having Remake and FFXVI available on that platform, along with Day 1 PC versions, they wouldn't be in this predicament. No I don't think they would've sold super well on Xbox, but the combined sales of Xbox and PC probably would've made a real difference. The Final Fantasy fanbase was getting older and the gaming landscape was changing. The series was not the juggernaut it once was, anyone could've told you that. But instead of continuing to gain new audiences by casting as wide of a net as possible, they handicapped themselves by taking a paycheck from Sony. Typical corporate thinking of looking only at tomorrow. Short term gain, long term loss.
Xbox is barely worth porting to nowadays. Their gamers buy games at a much lower frequency than Playstation or Nintendo players. Regardless, even FF16 has very weak initial numbers on Steam. People just don't seem to realize these genre of games don't appeal to mass audiences. FF7 Rebirth is a bloated 100+ hr tactical game and FF16 is a Devil May Cry action game

Last edited:

Fabieter

I prefer day not make a deal with anyone and sell their games to everyone at the same time.

In an ideal world that would be the case for every game. Most devs not associated with console bring their games to PC and do a console port after it. It's a non issue and I would expect people would rather wait to have a great experience. If sqaure enix can't do a game on four different platform all at once than I prefer them to focus their development efforts in specific platforms. My guess it's neither pc or Playstation going forward. The switch is the way to go for sqaure enix.

dmaul1114

Neo Member
Bummer as I loved both. Obviously getting FF7 part 3, but they’ll likely reconsider their approach for FF18 and onward.

Seems like a lot of the JRPG fan base is on Switch and, just overall on all platforms, just isn’t big enough to generate the profit margins wanted on these huge budget high-end AAA games.

Sucks as I really want the top end graphics, voice acting etc. on narrative driven games. But the market may just not be there for huge budget JRPGs at that scale.

Lambogenie

The moment the FF series went HD and full anime is when the sales numbers dropped.
I feel the fact they didn't lean into a more typical, cool anime look instead of their XIII/XV/XVI/VIIr look didn't help. People like anime, and it'd have been different. I want to see them try a different look next time. And not be a repetitive bore like XVI.

Madflavor

Gains on PC+Xbox can be pretty much ignored, being so small, most of them will buy (or already did) playstation anyway
Xbox is barely worth porting to nowadays. Their gamers buy games at a much lower frequency than Playstation or Nintendo players. Regardless, even FF16 has very weak initial numbers on Steam. People just don't seem to realize these games don't appeal to mass audiences. FF7 Rebirth is a bloated 100+ hr tactical game and FF16 is a Devil May Cry action game. Neither genre caters to the masses

To be clear, I'm not arguing that moving forward they need to release on Xbox. I also am not arguing that porting is the answer either. The games need to release day and date on multiple platforms at launch, when marketing is at it's peak, to maximize potential sales.

What I'm saying is if they continued their trend of releasing Final Fantasy games on multiple platforms, they likely would be in a better spot than they are now, albeit still on a downward trend. But putting their big expensive AAA JRPG that's losing relevancy behind an exclusivity wall, only accelerated the IPs decline.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Square has a lot of problems with its leadership tbh.

They come out on stage with Phil Spencer and announce that Xbox will become key to them etc.. Then three games in a row or so skip the platform.

Maybe wait a bit on the announcements until you can immediately deliver on them?
What Square games have Skip vs come to XBOX since then?

I also don't think that shaking P. Spencer's hand means that all Square games will be released on XBOX, but I do think that there will be many more that will be released and that is already being seen.

P.S. And no, I'm not putting my hands in the fire for Square. Square is not trustworthy.
But the same reason is what I would also advise those who think that this agreement with P. Spencer is a theatrical performance without substance or effects and that Square's strategy regarding XBOX has not changed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom