• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Twitter Teasing Possible FFXIII Trilogy Remake (?)

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Black Widow Avengers GIF

violence

Why wouldn’t people want a remake instead? A remaster would imply the trilogy is perfect the way it is. Square is admitting something.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
A remake is a waste of valuable time and resources. The trilogy is still playable, and fun today.

However, if you held a gun to my head and made me pick a game to remake, this is the one I would go with because I think the vision there is phenomenal and unmatched. The characters are great, the art design is the best in the series, the OST is the best in the series, the battle system is fantastic as well.

I think it's one that didn't reach it's full potential due to 1) PS3 being a nightmare to program for, 2) being the first major HD game they made, and grappling with that difficulty during development.

They could easily remake it with more open areas and numerous towns like we saw in XIII-2, or VIIR-2. Battle system could build on XIII and VIIR content as well. Just do the 1st game, even though the whole trilogy is great that's just too much.

My top choice though is to not do it and just make a new game.

violence

I found FF13 to be more fun if you turn off the mini map. The problem is it comes back after the next area loads. I haven’t played it in a while though.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
A remake of the first to fix all its problems could go a long way, I don't see any reason for the other 2 to be remade.
But those games do still look good so a Remaster is all that's needed.

Nomura probably in a meeting with other execs as we speak, explaining to them why remaking and splitting the FF13 trilogy into 3 parts for each game is a fantastic idea.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

A remake is a waste of valuable time and resources. The trilogy is still playable, and fun today.

However, if you held a gun to my head and made me pick a game to remake, this is the one I would go with because I think the vision there is phenomenal and unmatched. The characters are great, the art design is the best in the series, the OST is the best in the series, the battle system is fantastic as well.

I think it's one that didn't reach it's full potential due to 1) PS3 being a nightmare to program for, 2) being the first major HD game they made, and grappling with that difficulty during development.

They could easily remake it with more open areas and numerous towns like we saw in XIII-2, or VIIR-2. Battle system could build on XIII and VIIR content as well. Just do the 1st game, even though the whole trilogy is great that's just too much.

My top choice though is to not do it and just make a new game.
Why thiss over 6? The main benefit to a remake is the visual overhaul. 13 would just look the same. 6 remake has faar more return for investment.

Metnut

If they were disappointed with the sales of FF7 Rebirth, they better not try this.

FF13 reimagined as something like FF7Rebirth (towns, large zones to explore, non straight path dungeons) is something I’d play but you might as well use the effort to make this to instead make FF17/18.

Why double down on the least popular FFs? FF13 and FF15 are a big part of why FF16 and FF7R didn’t sell too well.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Doubtful, especially after how much Rebirth has been underperforming.
The VII Trilogy will sell when it's complete, you can't blame people for not buying it knowing part 3 is so far off.

Punished Miku

Why thiss over 6? The main benefit to a remake is the visual overhaul. 13 would just look the same. 6 remake has faar more return for investment.
My rationale is that 6 is fine as it is. I wouldn't even really want to see voice acting or 3D modeling. It would just look like Dissidia. At most, do an HD-2D port like DQ3.

XIII is a game that even though I love it, you can tell it was literally not the game they likely wanted to make. I can't say that for any other FF games really. You could easily see some small tweaks to just level design, towns and the battle system dramatically improving what is already a great game.

But I agree, it's unnecessary just because of how long these things take. You know what I'd like even more? CBU1 to make a NEW GAME.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
The VII Trilogy will sell when it's complete, you can't blame people for not buying it knowing part 3 is so far off.

I think Part 3 will likely do worse or around the same as Rebirth, and they'll probably launch a Trilogy Bundle on release to boost sales, but beyond that I don't think it'll have long legs once all is said and done. This isn't to say I think it'll be a financial failure. They'll make their money back and then some. I don't think the profit they'll make off of it will be worth the amount of time and resources they spent making it. This project was a massive undertaking, and their supposed golden goose. 10 years ago nobody would've imagine a remake of FFVII would underperform so badly.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I just want a remaster. I don't want to go back to the PS3 version and the PC ports are terrible and I can't bruteforce all the issues away with by hardware.

saintjules

Gold Member

You cannot tell a business that wants to spend the money that they are wasting time and resources. We don't know their budget and infrastructure to come to that conclusion lol.

That's like me telling you to stop spending your time and money on countless games. You'd tell me to stfu right? 😂

fatmarco

Who actually wants FFXIII to be remade over basically any other Final Fantasy title?

Is Japan still in its peak FFXIII delusion era where they were voting Lightning as the best Final Fantasy character?

FeralEcho

I love XIII. The Xbox version is already 4k so I don't feel a dire need for a remaster because of that,buuuut,a remaster with some qol improvements and released on current gen would be great nonetheless and I'd buy it again on PS.

final fantasy xiii snow GIF

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I really love XIII’s battle system and music. I would play it again just for that.

And look at the bright side: the writing and characters suck so badly already, it would be hard to make them any worse.

Punished Miku

You cannot tell a business that wants to spend the money that they are wasting time and resources. We don't know their budget and infrastructure to come to that conclusion lol.

That's like me telling you to stop spending your time and money on countless games. You'd tell me to stfu right? 😂
Well, what I mean is that mostly remakes are lesser projects from a B-team or just totally outsourced. It's not really a creative venture. VIIR is in my opinion a gigantic waste to tie their premier team to something that's already been done before. Just literally wasting years of their lives when their main value is making new things as artists.

If they can outsource a XIII remake and tweak the level design a bit, then sure. They shouldn't devote any serious resources to it.

But yes, I don't have any right to call the shots. Just giving my opinion lol.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Who actually wants FFXIII to be remade over basically any other Final Fantasy title?

Is Japan still in its peak FFXIII delusion era where they were voting Lightning as the best Final Fantasy character?

They're not as out of touch these days as they used to be, but it's still pretty bad. They seem to finally be course correcting into a direction that makes sense, but we won't see the changes take affect for years.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't think they are teasing anything. It's just the low paid community manager trying to drive engagement.

Nobody likes the FFXIII trilogy anyway.

Madflavor

Gold Member
I don't think they are teasing anything. It's just the low paid community manager trying to drive engagement.

Nobody likes the FFXIII trilogy anyway.

First Final Fantasy game that ever made me think "Wait a minute....is this...is this game bad?" midway through playing it. Up until that point I never conceived of there being a bad Final Fantasy game. I mean yes FFII existed, but at least that had the excuse of being a fucking dinosaur of a game and could easily be viewed as failed experiment during a more primitive age of gaming. FFXIII came off of a string of one beloved Final Fantasy game after another.

Last edited:

cireza

Best FF games in my opinion, but all playable in excellent condition on Xbox.

Still would be a good thing, I suppose. Watch as Switch 2 somehow manages to run these, if they happen, at only 30fps lol.

35cent

Ironically, it's probably the best candidate for a remake in the series as the original FFXIII fucking sucked.

Last edited:
I’d like a minor remaster with a new trophy set. Realistically the game still looks pretty good, so a fresh coat of paint and a decrease in load times would be amazing.

danklord

Gold Member
Been playing it again on the Legion Go and it is ideal for handheld PCs, just optimize it with QOL updates and update the textures and we're good.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Why would they waste there time on that filth? There are so many better entries if they want to make more remakes. 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12 hell even 15 could benefit from a remake and actually polished story.

Top Bottom