• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Twitter Teasing Possible FFXIII Trilogy Remake (?)

Astral Dog

I would buy a remaster (i don't think they will ever make a full remake even if they do this 🤔)

FFXIII-3 specially needs one

Remember in the good ol days of the Playstation 1, where we got Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9, and Tactics?...

You know... New games? New experiences?...

And instead of Remaking stuff, we got ports of FF 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6, in between those NEW games?...

Roxkis_ii

God, what a fucking waste that would be. They have all these sprite games that have so much room for creativity in a remake, but instead, they want to remake one of the least popular games in their catalog? A 3d game that wouldn't gain much from being remade!

They could remake tatices. Shit they wouldn't even need to do a remake. Keep the same systems with updated graphics. Boom damn near free money.

Do square even know why remakes are attractive??

Go_Ly_Dow

XIII is easily one of the worst mainline FF games for me. But it had a few merits, which would be the music, art direction and the overall mythos they created.

I listen to the OST from time to time and Hamauzu was on top form.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
FF13 is such a unique flavor of dogshit that I think I would actually play it again. The combat was better than any FF game since. Everything else was a goddamn mess.
It's the last one where they really still had artistic vision. Even if not fully executed flawlessly, it was damn interesting and the last auteur FF game. After all the blowback, the series basically died because genuine artistic expression can't exist with that much hostility. XV was an open world course correction, design by committee and based on fan complaints instead of auteur vision. XIV was the same. XVI was the same. Even VIIR is still a response to that XIII hate, proving they can make open world, towns, side quests and mini-games while just remaking what they think fans want based on vocal people online.

Last edited:

Madflavor

Gold Member
I would say FFX and FFXIII would be much easier games to remake and bring to modern AAA standards than the previous entries. The fact that both those games are almost entirely linear with their corridor level design, would make them a smaller undertaking than FFVII, and would not need to be split into multiple parts.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Nomura probably in a meeting with other execs as we speak, explaining to them why remaking and splitting the FF13 trilogy into 3 parts for each game is a fantastic idea.
If you watch interviews with Nomura he's so over this lol. He just wants to go back to remaking FF Versus XIII in Kingdom Hearts 4.

Muffdraul

FFXIII was a huge disappointment to me in terms of being "the latest FF made by Kitase's guys." I can see how FFVII, VIII and X are sort of cut from the same cloth in certain ways and it was looking like XIII was going to fit right along side them. It did in terms of tone and visual style, but too much of it just fell flat on its face.

But just in terms of it being a JRPG, it wasn't so bad. I'd play a remaster and I'd give a full blown remake a chance. I tried to play FFXIII-2 and I remember it being pretty fun, but was somehow I was unable to stick with it. Ergo I never touched Lightning Returns aside from the demo.

Madflavor

Gold Member
FFXIII was a huge disappointment to me in terms of being "the latest FF made by Kitase's guys." I can see how FFVII, VIII and X are sort of cut from the same cloth in certain ways and it was looking like XIII was going to fit right along side them. It did in terms of tone and visual style, but too much of it just fell flat on its face.

But just in terms of it being a JRPG, it wasn't so bad. I'd play a remaster and I'd give a full blown remake a chance. I tried to play FFXIII-2 and I remember it being pretty fun, but was somehow I was unable to stick with it. Ergo I never touched Lightning Returns aside from the demo.

I haven't played XIII in ages, but I just remember how absolutely fucking awful the story and characters were. Things just happened without proper explanation and set up. It took that "Rule of Cool" approach, putting style over substance. Why is this happening? Who cares? Look how awesome it looks. So many forced dramatic moments without earning them. This really was the game that marked a turning point for the JRPG genre as a whole. There was a time in gaming where JRPGs were the pinnacle of storytelling in games. Then at some point that started to transition where the West took over that mantle. I'm not saying FFXIII was soley responsible, but to me it's the mascot that represents JRPGs fall from grace.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
FF13 is such a unique flavor of dogshit that I think I would actually play it again. The combat was better than any FF game since. Everything else was a goddamn mess.
I have such a love/hate relationship with this game. Battle system, music, lore/backstory, setting, and overall audiovisual presentation are some of the very best in the series.

Story, characters, writing, and linearity are all pure dogshit.

I still think the game is damn fun to play and I’d love at least a remaster. (And what I’d really love is another game with the same battle system)

Nomura probably in a meeting with other execs as we speak, explaining to them why remaking and splitting the FF13 trilogy into 3 parts for each game is a fantastic idea.
FF13 reimagined as something like FF7Rebirth (towns, large zones to explore, non straight path dungeons) is something I’d play but you might as well use the effort to make this to instead make FF17/18.
They would need to completely rewrite some of the world lore and actually make a cohesive map, because a lot of landmasses in FF13 were nonsensical and just made to look cool for the sake of being cool.

There wasn’t really a sense of place nor direction in that game except for forward, as it is like the Disney ride of Final Fantasy games.

At least FF13-2 had the excuse of being a time traveling adventure so that they could take the level design in a wild direction. 13 itself doesn’t have that excuse.

Myths

Why would they remake any of those games? They need to focus on a Parasite Eve or Vagrant Story derivative.

They would need to completely rewrite some of the world lore and actually make a cohesive map, because a lot of landmasses in FF13 were nonsensical and just made to look cool for the sake of being cool.

There wasn’t really a sense of place nor direction in that game except for forward, as it is like the Disney ride of Final Fantasy games.

At least FF13-2 had the excuse of being a time traveling adventure so that they could take the level design in a wild direction. 13 itself doesn’t have that excuse.

Yeah, the way they have the story written gives them an excuse to not have elaborate, full blown towns. I had always found the excuse they gave in the past laughable.

But yeah…Trilogy is just fine as it is, how it ended. Move on.

Last edited:

poodaddy

Spending the budget for this on bathroom remodels at Square Enix HQ and posting pics of the new toilets on X would be a more practical and fun use of the money. Hell I'd take a remaster of goddamn Mystic Quest over this stack of shit. Fuck man I'd take a high resolution photo of one of Nomura's countless belts over this flaming pile of cancer.

disgusted jennifer lawrence GIF

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It was far too linear for a Final Fantasy game. The difficulty was super easy and the overall plot was underwhelming. I also never thought Lightning was that great of a character. They just shoved powers in her face and she felt emptier than Cloud. I played 13 in Japanese and the graphics were incredible at the time. Looking back, I’ve never said to myself that I missed playing as Lightning. That’s just my opinion. I can see why someone would enjoy the series.

FFXIII is a great game with an amazing OST and fun battle system. Story is good too when the characters get through their first arc. It also has the best stagger system in the series. Real ones know.

I haven't played XIII in ages, but I just remember how absolutely fucking awful the story and characters were. Things just happened without proper explanation and set up. It took that "Rule of Cool" approach, putting style over substance. Why is this happening? Who cares? Look how awesome it looks. So many forced dramatic moments without earning them. This really was the game that marked a turning point for the JRPG genre as a whole. There was a time in gaming where JRPGs were the pinnacle of storytelling in games. Then at some point that started to transition where the West took over that mantle. I'm not saying FFXIII was soley responsible, but to me it's the mascot that represents JRPGs fall from grace.
As dumb as it is, everything is explained via the data log in the menu. The game involves a shit ton of reading, for better or worse. It's convoluted as hell but makes sense if you read it every time there's a new entry.

SkylineRKR

I platted XIII, beat XIII-2 by doing a ton of things too (I only didn't completely map it out I think), and I beat LR.

XIII granted looked fantastic on PS3 but is the least replayable FF I ever played. Because its completely linear, there is basically nothing to find. Especially not for the first 25 ish hours, which is a complete slog if you try it again. I did try to replay it, and usually stopped about 4 hours in. I couldn't do it. There is nothing to see.

XIII-2 was a bit more free flowing, because its basically a set of stages you can choose from. LR I think is actually the best of the lot. Its obviously made on a budget, but its combat system was solid and so were some mechanics like actually making monster types go extinct. It wasn't an easy game too, on Normal it was fairly tough.

I would probably skip a remaster of any of these, but I can recommend giving LR a whirl on Xbox. Past the obvious lower budget and recycled assets its rather unique.

I platted XIII, beat XIII-2 by doing a ton of things too (I only didn't completely map it out I think), and I beat LR.

XIII granted looked fantastic on PS3 but is the least replayable FF I ever played. Because its completely linear, there is basically nothing to find. Especially not for the first 25 ish hours, which is a complete slog if you try it again. I did try to replay it, and usually stopped about 4 hours in. I couldn't do it. There is nothing to see.

XIII-2 was a bit more free flowing, because its basically a set of stages you can choose from. LR I think is actually the best of the lot. Its obviously made on a budget, but its combat system was solid and so were some mechanics like actually making monster types go extinct. It wasn't an easy game too, on Normal it was fairly tough.

I would probably skip a remaster of any of these, but I can recommend giving LR a whirl on Xbox. Past the obvious lower budget and recycled assets its rather unique.
The OST and battle system keep me engaged whenever I replay it. I get why people dislike FFXIII but it's honestly my 2nd favorite in the series, not counting FF7r. It's mostly the OST, it's just so freaking good to me and the battle system is engaging as hell considering its all menu driven.

Diddy X

I remember I got to the final stage in XIII and didn't even bother to finish it as I didn't have any motivation, so I started playing with the save states as a way to mod it on the Xbox 360.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Tbf it is only available on one platform. I'm going to assume going forward SE will be releasing these games on more than just one platform.

You're absolutely right, and I've talked about this before. It's one of the big problems with their approach to Final Fantasy. They seem (at least at the time) pretty delusional about Final Fantasy's popularity in the modern age. Or Jrpgs for that matter. Putting such a massive project like this on one console, was incredibly shortsighted, and one big contributing reason why Rebirth is underperforming, especially in Japan where PS5 software sales overall have been pretty grim. But can they recover from this by releasing on more platforms? Probably, and given their last report, that seems to be their strategy. But it's also not a positive change that will happen overnight. They haven't really been cultivating an audience with Xbox and Nintendo. They were with XIII and XV on the Xbox, but then stopped after that. Nintendo has received some spinoffs and ports of older games, but none of their later entries. So suddenly releasing FFVIII:R3 on Nintendo and Xbox isn't going to guarantee millions of sales on those consoles.

Then there's the PC, which they've completely dropped the ball on. While the Playstation is slowly fading away in Japan, the PC market is rising, and it's been rising for years. Globally I might add. They've completely dropped the ball in that regard. Obviously they don't have a choice right now thanks to their exclusivity deal with Sony. But they should've had the PC ports locked, loaded, and ready to go by the time the exclusivity deal is done. With XVI it was 6 months. With Rebirth it was 3 months. Yet no sign of a PC release for either game in site. So what in the blue fuck is going on?

What I can potentially see happening is FFVII:R3 will be released in 2027/2028, in time for the PS6, with a big emphasis on the FFVII Remake Trilogy Bundle for the PS5 and as a PS6 launch title. "Experience all three games in crisp 60fps!" and then a year or two later a Trilogy Bundle release for the PC, Switch 2 and Xbox, to ring out whatever potential sales they can muster.

Nickolaidas

I think Part 3 will likely do worse or around the same as Rebirth, and they'll probably launch a Trilogy Bundle on release to boost sales, but beyond that I don't think it'll have long legs once all is said and done. This isn't to say I think it'll be a financial failure. They'll make their money back and then some. I don't think the profit they'll make off of it will be worth the amount of time and resources they spent making it. This project was a massive undertaking, and their supposed golden goose. 10 years ago nobody would've imagine a remake of FFVII would underperform so badly.
Their biggest mistake was locking the games behind the PS ecosystem. This isn't the early 00s, anymore. And FF needs all the sales it can get. They need to release them on PC day one, AT LEAST, as well as X-Box and Switch 2 (via Cloud or whatever). That'll boost sales by at least a couple of million units.

Nickolaidas

You're absolutely right, and I've talked about this before. It's one of the big problems with their approach to Final Fantasy. They seem (at least at the time) pretty delusional about Final Fantasy's popularity in the modern age. Or Jrpgs for that matter. Putting such a massive project like this on one console, was incredibly shortsighted, and one big contributing reason why Rebirth is underperforming, especially in Japan where PS5 software sales overall have been pretty grim. But can they recover from this by releasing on more platforms? Probably, and given their last report, that seems to be their strategy. But it's also not a positive change that will happen overnight. They haven't really been cultivating an audience with Xbox and Nintendo. They were with XIII and XV on the Xbox, but then stopped after that. Nintendo has received some spinoffs and ports of older games, but none of their later entries. So suddenly releasing FFVIII:R3 on Nintendo and Xbox isn't going to guarantee millions of sales on those consoles.

Then there's the PC, which they've completely dropped the ball on. While the Playstation is slowly fading away in Japan, the PC market is rising, and it's been rising for years. Globally I might add. They've completely dropped the ball in that regard. Obviously they don't have a choice right now thanks to their exclusivity deal with Sony. But they should've had the PC ports locked, loaded, and ready to go by the time the exclusivity deal is done. With XVI it was 6 months. With Rebirth it was 3 months. Yet no sign of a PC release for either game in site. So what in the blue fuck is going on?

What I can potentially see happening is FFVII:R3 will be released in 2027/2028, in time for the PS6, with a big emphasis on the FFVII Remake Trilogy Bundle for the PS5 and as a PS6 launch title. "Experience all three games in crisp 60fps!" and then a year or two later a Trilogy Bundle release for the PC, Switch 2 and Xbox, to ring out whatever potential sales they can muster.
With FF16 coming to PC within the next three months, FF7 Rebirth won't be arriving anytime soon in order to not compete with it. So I think that FF7 Rebirth will hit PC (either EGS or both it and Steam) near the first four months of 2025.

I don't know about remaking FF13, but I'm down for a FF Versus XIII Remake.

Yeah, I said it.
When they delayed Versus XIII into oblivion and rolled the assets into the turd that is FF XV is when they lost me as a customer. A proper release would bring me back. It might bring them back too...

Last edited:
Top Bottom