• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

But that means everyone is spending all their time on these two drops, constantly shaving away their times, finding the perfect run, and creating new high scores. With 150 different drops, the competition on each one isn't going to be as brutal and fun as it is right now. It'll be spread too thin.

I mean, that's just another way of looking at it. :)

Im also kind of worried about this, the more drops the better but it will dilute competition.

I love the competitive aspect of this game, current race run is like 1.55.43 and that was only after grinding non stop to beat HaloGaf, I know im probably like 10 seconds slower than some of the people here and thats what I love, It seems like only yesterday 2.06 seemed like a godly run lol.

Also the music, and the on the fly mixing, so damn good. I cant believe how close I am to getting this game day 1.

kaskade

I'm having a problem getting a hang of the carving. I feel like I cut way to hard left and right when turning. I guess theres a finesse to it.

I had no idea this was out so soon. I've been craving a fun trick racer for so long and this looks great. Downloading the demo and also noticed Toys R Us has this for pre-order at $44.99 and free shipping. I need to jump on that.

Is it free release day shipping? Amazon's deal is 10 dollars off a future purchase, release day shipping, and for many people no tax.

I'm having a problem getting a hang of the carving. I feel like I cut way to hard left and right when turning. I guess theres a finesse to it.

I'm hoping that the poor handling is a result of gear/level and that as we move up and get better gear that handling will be much tighter.

Mr. Hyde

Is it free release day shipping? Amazon's deal is 10 dollars off a future purchase, release day shipping, and for many people no tax.

I'm hoping that the poor handling is a result of gear/level and that as we move up and get better gear that handling will be much tighter.

I doubt it's free release day shipping. It's just standard. I have prime so that might be a better idea despite it being a few bucks more.

Hale-XF11

I'm hoping this is the case as well. It's my only really big issue with the game right now, other than not being able to grind trees a lot of the time.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I doubt it's free release day shipping. It's just standard. I have prime so that might be a better idea despite it being a few bucks more.

If you have prime Amazon release day delivery is always free. Got mine just now for 59.99

balddemon

Banned
Is there a way to download the demo onto a flash drive/external hard drive and then transfer it to my ps3? Or could I do something similar using the media sharing?

Jamie OD

I took the advice mentioned by a few Gaffers in one of the previous threads and watched The Art Of Flight snowboarding documentary. I can definitely tell the game got a lot of inspiration from this movie. Heck, they use some of the same soundtrack too.

gate777

Is there a way to download the demo onto a flash drive/external hard drive and then transfer it to my ps3? Or could I do something similar using the media sharing?
Unfortunately not. Your only choice is to connect your ps3 to the internet and download it from the store. If that's not possible, bring your ps3 to a friends house and use their internet.

cackhyena

If you don't have Prime, release day delivery is only a buck. That's the way it's been for a long time now. In the US anyway.

balddemon

Banned
Unfortunately not. Your only choice is to connect your ps3 to the internet and download it from the store. If that's not possible, bring your ps3 to a friends house and use their internet.

ugh, that's what I thought. All I have to do is move it downstairs and plug it in to the router though lol. Thanks.

I see, I feel like the reviews of this game are gonna be all over the place.
Yeah I think so too but I'm really curious. At this point I'm halfway between being still being hyped at the prospect of a new SSX game and ready to cancel my preorder over my disappointment with the demo. It's a very confusing place to be, I need some guidance (and by the time impressions start coming in here it'll be too late.)

soultron

Banned
I know EA are generally idiots etc, but why send out a bunch of copies to people they know are huge fans of the game and then tell them they can't speak about it? How ****ing stupid is that? These are exactly the people you want talking up your game 4 days prior to release. EA, you so stoopid.

I'm sending my impressions to a PR rep so that he can kind of pick and choose what he wants to release. (Which is hilarious considering my impressions are all super positive. It's like giving a fat kid cake and asking him if he likes it.)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You think they'd be able to add completley new mountain ranges and areas as DLC?

Perhaps a DLC pack that features an SSX3/Tricky style actual courses in a huge SSX park.

Or just new mountains in general.

Mt. Fuji (and in effect, the Japan region) is DLC, so I don't see why they couldn't add others later. Of course, I don't know that Japan will actually be added to the globe once you download the DLC, but anything other than that would be stupid.

eneko

Having a hard time deciding on which version I want. On one hand I prefer XBL over PSN, but I also want Mt. Fuji...

I'm sending my impressions to a PR rep so that he can kind of pick and choose what he wants to release. (Which is hilarious considering my impressions are all super positive. It's like giving a fat kid cake and asking him if he likes it.)

Whisper them in my ear.

Hmm.. not sure. Are there many other full EA games on the PSN store? I usually don't use my console much so I wouldn't know.

Many. And EA is releasing Mass Effect 3 onto PSN the same day it releases to retail.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Madden 12 is "coming soon", I think. I just saw that on the "upcoming releases" over on Major Nelson's blog.

EDIT: Yup, February 28th. http://majornelson.com/2012/02/21/content-coming-soon-to-the-xbox-live-marketplace-3/

But this is a much more popular EA title. It may hit sooner for a smaller release.

Not that I enjoy the Madden franchise but I'm pretty sure it's one of the more popular franchises EA has isn't it? A quick glance at sales is about 5 million. 1.4 in the first month.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'M JUST SO THRILLED THEY NAILED THIS GAME.

It is SSX. We really couldn't ask for more.

Yeah. Just imagine if they had followed through on their original a dark and gritty vision. I'm so fucking glad they decided to change the direction of the game and make a real SSX.

(Now someone is gonna tell me that "Deadly Descents" was only ever one of the game's event types, and that it was never gonna be a "Modern Boardfare", but I don't believe that. I am convinced it was originally gonna be like that, but that they realized they had to reconsider after they saw how terribly the first trailer was received. The name of the game isn't the only thing that has changed since then, the image the game is projecting has also changed drastically.)

Wow, look at Paragonia. Insane!

Excitement level rising.

Edit: forgive a stupid question, but what exactly does "150+ drops" mean?

Is each drop considered a different course down the mountain?

I was wondering the same, but no, I'm pretty sure a drop is just an event, so the number of tracks is probably "only" about half of that. The demo says that I've completed (got a medal in) 2/153 drops, and I've obviously only played one of the two events (drops) on each of those tracks.

Start talking about the game, Soul. There's "normal" people already buying it from mom-and-pop game shops. I'd rather hear it from you than them.

soultron

Banned
Hey Soultron, can you break down how the custom soundtrack works on 360?

I haven't had the time to use it yet, to be honest. I've only played about two hours. I'm at work right now. :c

Also, this is how Patagonia feels:

military-jet-cockpit_4483.jpg

(Now someone is gonna tell me that "Deadly Descents" was only ever one of the game's event types, and that it was never gonna be a "Modern Boardfare", but I don't believe that. I am convinced it was originally gonna be like that, but that they realized they had to reconsider after they saw how terribly the first trailer was received. The name of the game isn't the only thing that has changed since then, the image the game is projecting has also changed drastically.)

The visual direction and overall tone is the only thing that has changed. I spoke directly to Todd Batty about this because I wanted to know. One of the rule of game design he subscribes to personally is the rule of thirds; keep what was good, fix what was broken, and introduce something new. Survive It gameplay is part of what's new. Where EA's marketing fucked up was choosing to focus solely on this aspect and brand it as a hard-edge XTREME BRAH game. It didn't resonate well with series fans and they freaked out because they thought they wouldn't be racing/tricking anymore, which is understandable.

People really need to stop with the conspiracy theories though. I know you don't want to trust my word on it because I'm an unashamed SSX fanboy, but believe me when I say I've heard it straight from the developer and we spoke very honestly about the issue.

Dragnet

Any word back from Todd Batty about those new grinding suggestions yet Soultron?

On a side note, I just imagined that if there is a sequel to this game, they'll surely introduce tricking into the wingsuit gameplay, and in my head, it's awesome!

For the sequel they should bring back the crazy courses in a more tournament setting and get rid of the Tricky meter. Basically make it a modern version of the first SSX with races where your neck and neck with other players and can shove them down and stuff.

soultron

Banned
Any word back from Todd Batty about those new grinding suggestions yet Soultron?

On a side note, I just imagined that if there is a sequel to this game, they'll surely introduce tricking into the wingsuit gameplay, and in my head, it's awesome!

He wrote me and said that he's got a bunch of meetings to go into and then he'll find the time to write me back on it. Remember that it's still mid-afternoon in Vancouver right now.

And, baconsammy, it's really, really fucking good. In World Tour, I've played through, so far, The Rockies, Syberia, and Patagonia. Each region has been better than the last. It's great. Syberia had me dropping my jaw the first time I played it, and Patagonia had me holding on for dear life.

Is the IGN review up yet?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I haven't had the time to use it yet, to be honest. I've only played about two hours. I'm at work right now. :c

Also, this is how Patagonia feels:

military-jet-cockpit_4483.jpg

The visual direction and overall tone is the only thing that has changed. I spoke directly to Todd Batty about this because I wanted to know. One of the rule of game design he subscribes to personally is the rule of thirds; keep what was good, fix what was broken, and introduce something new. Survive It gameplay is part of what's new. Where EA's marketing fucked up was choosing to focus solely on this aspect and brand it as a hard-edge XTREME BRAH game. It didn't resonate well with series fans and they freaked out because they thought they wouldn't be racing/tricking anymore, which is understandable.

People really need to stop with the conspiracy theories though. I know you don't want to trust my word on it because I'm an unashamed SSX fanboy, but believe me when I say I've heard it straight from the developer and we spoke very honestly about the issue.

Well, yeah, the dark and gritty "xtreme snowboarding marines" tone is mainly what I'm talking about. That's what the first trailer projected, but now it's nowhere to be seen, and I'm very happy about that. Or are you saying that the game was actually never anything like that, and that EA's marketing made a trailer that wasn't at all representative of the game?

Teknoman

Something around 40 mil+ is the current record. There's also an exploit with the rewind you can use to make it easier. The 40 mil run I saw didn't use it though. Just careful watching of your combo. Making sure you don't repeat tricks. Use the best tricks. Flip. Lots of tricks whenever possible.

Should you jump off every high point or trick off every jump? Also it seems like you slow down when doing ground tricks.

Just realized that with the grind button, you can even grind on the side of certain rough rock faces.

soultron

Banned
Well, yeah, the dark and gritty "xtreme snowboarding marines" tone is mainly what I'm talking about. That's what the first trailer projected, but now it's nowhere to be seen, and I'm very happy about that. Or are you saying that the game was actually never anything like that, and that EA's marketing made a trailer that wasn't at all representative of the game?

The trailer was, most likely, handled by a CG studio outside of EAC. It was too early for the game to be shown. Even the version we played (E3 build) was early; reps were guiding the demo at E3 (from what I've heard and read) because it was entirely possible to go "off" the mountain and fall into nothingness. Connor and Todd both warned us, when we were playing this build, not to go too far left or right because there just wasn't anything there yet. There was no bail animation either, at this point, you just bobbed up and down in the snow until your character righted themselves. And like I've said, the controls were different and the rail mechanics were different as well.

I saw a lot of test bed stuff that they were proofing stuff in too. I really feel that EA topbrass wanted to show something ASAP and kind of blew their load prematurely with the VGA trailer. There practically wasn't much of a working "game" at that point yet.

Fixed1979

He wrote me and said that he's got a bunch of meetings to go into and then he'll find the time to write me back on it. Remember that it's still mid-afternoon in Vancouver right now.

And, baconsammy, it's really, really fucking good. In World Tour, I've played through, so far, The Rockies, Syberia, and Patagonia. Each region has been better than the last. It's great. Syberia had me dropping my jaw the first time I played it, and Patagonia had me holding on for dear life.

Is the IGN review up yet?

If there's anyway to confirm Day 1 bug fixes (specifically rewind) I'd sure appreciate it.

I'm actually shocked that very few people seem really bothered by it...

Top Bottom