• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

JambiBum

If there's anyway to confirm Day 1 bug fixes (specifically rewind) I'd sure appreciate it.

I'm actually shocked that very few people seem really bothered by it...

Very few people are bothered by it because it isn't as big of an issue as you are making it out to be. People can obtain the scores that are reached with the rewind bug without doing it, so it isn't that big of an issue. It's not like it causes unobtainable scores.

Should it be fixed? Of course it should be.

Very few people are bothered by it because it isn't as big of an issue as you are making it out to be. People can obtain the scores that are reached with the rewind bug without doing it, so it isn't that big of an issue. It's not like it causes unobtainable scores.

I'm mad that I know about the cheat and my scores still suck. Clearly the game is broken.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Pretty much. I tried the bug out and all I did was match my personal best of 16 mil. You still need skill to hit the high end scores.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The trailer was, most likely, handled by a CG studio outside of EAC. It was too early for the game to be shown. Even the version we played (E3 build) was early; reps were guiding the demo at E3 (from what I've heard and read) because it was entirely possible to go "off" the mountain and fall into nothingness. Connor and Todd both warned us, when we were playing this build, not to go too far left or right because there just wasn't anything there yet. There was no bail animation either, at this point, you just bobbed up and down in the snow until your character righted themselves. And like I've said, the controls were different and the rail mechanics were different as well.

I saw a lot of test bed stuff that they were proofing stuff in too. I really feel that EA topbrass wanted to show something ASAP and kind of blew their load prematurely with the VGA trailer. There practically wasn't much of a working "game" at that point yet.

Ok, but even if there wasn't a working game at that point, surely there were design documents, artwork, etc.? And also, I'm sure the team (including Batty) saw the trailer before it was shown to the public. I don't know if they had any power to stop it even if they wanted to, but if they did, why would they approve a trailer which projected such a different image from the game they were making?

But whatever, the point is that I'm very happy the game didn't turn out to be like that!

The trailer was, most likely, handled by a CG studio outside of EAC. It was too early for the game to be shown. Even the version we played (E3 build) was early; reps were guiding the demo at E3 (from what I've heard and read) because it was entirely possible to go "off" the mountain and fall into nothingness. Connor and Todd both warned us, when we were playing this build, not to go too far left or right because there just wasn't anything there yet. There was no bail animation either, at this point, you just bobbed up and down in the snow until your character righted themselves. And like I've said, the controls were different and the rail mechanics were different as well.

I saw a lot of test bed stuff that they were proofing stuff in too. I really feel that EA topbrass wanted to show something ASAP and kind of blew their load prematurely with the VGA trailer. There practically wasn't much of a working "game" at that point yet.

One thing I liked about that first trailer was that guy's outfit which was like a bright orange suit. Is that an unlockable for someone in the game?

Here are pics of what I'm talking about:

ssx-deadly-descents.jpg

ssx-dd.jpg

SSX.jpg

Also, I have that EGM article and although its been awhile since I read it it really seems like the game shifted in tone because of the fan feedback.

soultron

Banned
One thing I liked about that first trailer was that guy's outfit which was like a bright orange suit. Is that an unlockable for someone in the game?

Also, I have that EGM article and although its been awhile since I read it it really seems like the game shifted in tone because of the fan feedback.

That is/was Jack. No, he's not unlockable. He's gone, scrapped.

The game definitely switched tones and artistic direction due to fan feedback, there's no denying that. But to theorise that this was only an XTREME boarding game where all there was to the game was Deadly Descents (even though that was the old title; the story is still the same in World Tour -- be the first to conquer the 9DDs.) is wrong.

Ghost23

I don't get it. I will go the whole time in Bulldog without crashing and keeping my combo up, but I only get about 7 million. What am I doing wrong?

soultron

Banned
I don't get it. I will go the whole time in Bulldog without crashing and keeping my combo up, but I only get about 7 million. What am I doing wrong?

You're probably duplicating tricks, not being in Super TRICKY enough, using one-button single-handed grabs, and not chaining combos effectively. Your combo, ideally, should never bank. Make use of flat ground by tricking. Also, flips are worth more than spins.

That is/was Jack. No, he's not unlockable. He's gone, scrapped.

The game definitely switched tones and artistic direction due to fan feedback, there's no denying that. But to theorise that this was only an XTREME boarding game where all there was to the game was Deadly Descents (even though that was the old title; the story is still the same in World Tour -- be the first to conquer the 9DDs.) is wrong.

That's too bad about Jack he actually looked cool. Perhaps in a DLC pack or something. Is the game still going to have 300 tracks or was that idea nixed too?

It's funny i've been playing other stuff to pass the time until tuesday but I keep gravitating back to the SSX demo I love it so much.

I called it too.

That's a review? I felt like he gave me a preview of the game. A shorter preview than the actual previews. Where did he talk about gameplay, and how it works, if the controls feel fast, or if the actual tracks are well made. He never mentioned the avalanche DD, which is a pretty big change in gameplay. He said there were wingsuits and headlamps. Where was the part where he explained how they worked, or how WELL they worked, if they had any purpose, tell us that you could actually do DDs without equipment, or tell us that by the way, you can buy THAT equipment and gear on a shop, in which EA can actually add a sort of online component to it because EA can add discounts and do sales within it, and how gear has levels and your character has levels and it features a RPG sort of system?

Fucking IGN: SHOULD I BUY THE GAME, AND WHY? THANK YOU.

SHAMEFUL review. I've never read something so bad.

Karish

I called it too.

That's a review? I felt like he gave me a preview of the game. A shorter preview than the actual previews. Where did he talk about gameplay, and how it works, if the controls feel fast, or if the actual tracks are well made. He never mentioned the avalanche DD, which is a pretty big change in gameplay. He said there were wingsuits and headlamps. Where was the part where he explained how they worked, or how WELL they worked, if they had any purpose, tell us that you could actually do DDs without equipment, or tell us that by the way, you can buy THAT equipment and gear on a shop, in which EA can actually add a sort of online component to it because EA can add discounts and do sales within it, and how gear has levels and your character has levels and it features a RPG sort of system?

Fucking IGN: SHOULD I BUY THE GAME, AND WHY? THANK YOU.

SHAMEFUL review. I've never read something so bad.

Yea the review really fucking sucked. However, I do expect that score to be reflective of the game, but yea, the content was a joke. pReview.

EA needs to adjust their payments. Apparently they're only paying enough for 9s now. But yeah, that "review" was a joke. Thanks for telling me nothing I couldnt get from the demo or a video on youtube.

Your turn now, Soul. Tell us about the game.

Soultron!

Random question. Can you check with any of those peeps who got the PS3 version, and see if the case has interior artwork?

Thanks. :)

Bgamer90

Banned
I feel that exact same way as you guys do about the review.

No real opinions being made. Just an overall description of the game & it's features and nothing more.

A person could have made that review without even playing the game to be honest.

soultron

Banned
I feel like the review was over before it even started. Too short to go into any real detail.

I'm psyched the team got a 9 for their work, but shit, I feel like we've typed more substantial stuff in the demo thread.

EDIT: There were 2 people who got the PS3 version and I have no clue who they are or how to get in touch with them, unfortunately.

Bacon, what do you specifically want to know? I'll tell you as much as I can.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
About the "always tweak tricks" tip: Is there never ever a reason to do an un-tweaked trick? Will I always get less points for that? And does it matter if I tweak the trick right away or if I do it halfway through?

Also, is it always better to hold a single trick than to do a couple of different ones during a jump? I intuitively feel that doing several tricks during one jump should be worth more, but from what I gather that's not true?

Stat!

I've played the demo multiple times and I feel like it's missing this odd thing that I can't put my finger on. While the gameplay is kinda fun, I still can't get over the fact that a) there isn't real live multiplayer and b) there aren't actual full-on races with multiple boarders where you can bump into each other. Leaderboards kinda irk me. I want to be able to pick a map, race with my friends, and trash talk when I bump them down or overtake them at the last second.

Does this game have a free ride system?

GenericUser

Correct me if I am wrong, but doen't this game suffer from a severe input lag (at least on ps3)? I played the demo and immediately noticed, that it feels like BF3. In a game that relies to much on pinpoint analogue stick movement, its a deal breaker for me.

Other than that, the soundtrack is nice and it was about time for some new funsport blood on the current systems.

mr stroke

I've played the demo multiple times and I feel like it's missing this odd thing that I can't put my finger on. While the gameplay is kinda fun, I still can't get over the fact that a) there isn't real live multiplayer and b) there aren't actual full-on races with multiple boarders where you can bump into each other. Leaderboards kinda irk me. I want to be able to pick a map, race with my friends, and trash talk when I bump them down or overtake them at the last second.

Does this game have a free ride system?

I didn't even notice this in the demo, you mean you can only race against ghosts online?
No real player to player races?

:(

Mechazawa

I didn't even notice this in the demo, you mean you can only race against ghosts online?
No real player to player races?

:(

Depends on what you mean by "player-to-player" The events are basically equivalent to Trackmania, where there aren't really doing "get from point a to point b and you're done" but rather "see how good of a run you can do in this allotted time"

And you see your friends in real time in that mode, they just might be on different runs. You can see a "friends only" option for the event in the video above me too.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
That review is awful, even by IGN standards.

JaseMath

About the "always tweak tricks" tip: Is there never ever a reason to do an un-tweaked trick? Will I always get less points for that? And does it matter if I tweak the trick right away or if I do it halfway through?

Also, is it always better to hold a single trick than to do a couple of different ones during a jump? I intuitively feel that doing several tricks during one jump should be worth more, but from what I gather that's not true?
Don't know about when to tweak, but I tweak every trick. No point not to. Also, and this might be wrong, but I don't switch up tricks until it becomes MASSIVE. Once it says massive and if I have enough air, I'll try another grab.

What other consoles was it on? I thought SSX came out for PS2 in like 2000

edit: gamecube? I never had one, so I don't know.

Well I've played every SSX that's come out, and I've never owned a PS2 (i know). I know Tricky came out on gamecube, and I think SSX3 did as well?

web01

I liked the demo but was pretty disappointed by the graphics (PS3) which is something I do not usually complain about. Do not remember other snowboarding games looking this bland but it could just be my memory.

Also a question to get very high score is it necessary to use the on ground linking tricks to keep combos going because i find playing like that extremely unfun.

Also one thing I liked was the ability to turn off the tricky music which I found extremely annoying. Does anyone know if the full game has the ability to skip / blacklist music tracks? Did not see an option in the demo.

balddemon

Banned
Well I've played every SSX that's come out, and I've never owned a PS2 (i know). I know Tricky came out on gamecube, and I think SSX3 did as well?

SSX = PS2 exclusive
SSX Tricky = PlayStation 2, GameCube, Game Boy Advance, and Xbox
SSX 3 = Tricky platforms + Gizmodo
Some shit on the N-Gage
SSX On Tour = GameCube, PlayStation 2, PSP and Xbox
Blur = Wii

Now this new one on PS3. I literally had no idea any of the games were on any consoles except PS2 lol

source

SSX = PS2 exclusive
SSX Tricky = PlayStation 2, GameCube, Game Boy Advance, and Xbox
SSX 3 = Tricky platforms + Gizmodo
Some shit on the N-Gage
SSX On Tour = GameCube, PlayStation 2, PSP and Xbox
Blur = Wii

Now this new one on PS3. I literally had no idea any of the games were on any consoles except PS2 lol

source

Ha I had SSX3 on Xbox, I remember that now. I had no clue they had on the GBA! I wonder how bad that was....

Correct me if I am wrong, but doen't this game suffer from a severe input lag (at least on ps3)? I played the demo and immediately noticed, that it feels like BF3.

You're wrong. I assume you're playing on a TV with all kinds of processing being done to the image. Turn on your TV's game mode and watch the input lag disappear.

Top Bottom