• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Insayne

Hey,

I am new to the SSX Series and started out on this one (didnt like the PS2 one too much back then). I managed to get gold in racing, but what am I supposed to do in trick runs? I only get silver with 7 mil points or so...

Game is fun though, am considering picking it up if i like the trick part (I loved that the most in tony hawk games).

Thanks

AEREC

Im liking this game the more I play the demo...Im gonna wait on more reviews though...the IGN one felt very "paid for," more so than any review Ive ever read.

Muzzy

One question guys, besides all those "standard" tracks, does the game features stuff like Perpendiculous or Big Air event like in SSX3?

Teknoman

YESSS

Finally beat that 1:54:86, feels good man [at least, until I start reading about people beating me by 10 seconds]. Of course, soultron will probably just beat that again, so I think I've got my work cut out for me.

Also, I really love the thing that takes off points based on low flow. Good on them preventing the crap that could be pulled in SSX 3.

lol i'm having trouble beating Danny-kun's 2:04 time (always 2 seconds off), have no idea how you guys are getting in the 1 minute marks...unless you're not using Mac?

EDIT: Survive it MP races are going to be insane.

soultron

Banned
I'm alive, guys. Haha. I was out with my GF last night. I didn't have any time to play it once I left for work. I'm looking after my nephews tonight which means I won't be playing again until tomorrow night at the earliest, Monday morning at the latest.

I mentioned in this thread or the demo thread that the quality in WT keeps rising as I get deeper in. Patagonia's DD was awesome. I had just started Alaska before I left and I'm pretty pumped to play the DD there. Tane is definitely my favourite new character... his surfing-inspired Uber is off the chain.

JaseMath

Finally beat my score in trick it (demo) - putting it at 22.5 mil. I know that's not as high as some of you, though I wonder how well I could do if the controls were even.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm alive, guys. Haha. I was out with my GF last night. I didn't have any time to play it once I left for work. I'm looking after my nephews tonight which means I won't be playing again until tomorrow night at the earliest, Monday morning at the latest.

I mentioned in this thread or the demo thread that the quality in WT keeps rising as I get deeper in. Patagonia's DD was awesome. I had just started Alaska before I left and I'm pretty pumped to play the DD there. Tane is definitely my favourite new character... his surfing-inspired Uber is off the chain.

Gets game early.
tZ1ik.jpg

Doesn't play it.

I kid. I kid.

Why does IGN have a pic of Kaori jumping over a lava pit with a giant shark with laser eyes attacking her? Now IGN is in the business of misrepresenting games?

Hale-XF11

I would love to hear from someone who has the game already as to how drastically different the controls feel with different gear/boards equipped.

-PXG-

Lies.

No you weren't

soultron

Banned
I would love to hear from someone who has the game already as to how drastically different the controls feel with different gear/boards equipped.

Boards have three different attributes: speed, boost, tricks.

They break down into 2 different aspects per attribute but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

You start off much slower in the beginning of the game, with level 1 riders, which is nice. If you don't feel comfortable at the beginning, you can even put a board with a lower speed stat. The nice thing is that this is still a viable option because you can still place in events. The game, in World Tour, is pretty easy for someone like me because I'm logging <2m and 14mill+ on the demo. (Mind you, I've still had to use the rewind and/or completely restarting on DDs though because I've bailed pretty hard in spots. :p)

I'm actually really grateful that DDs are in the game, over all. They're a great addition into the traditional SSX gameplay, in my opinion. You're still using your ingrained SSX skillset of racing and tricking in these events, but they also have additional obstacles to keep things interesting. I've not played them in Global Events yet, but I think the competition in the Survive It drops are going to be intense. I say this because we've been having some fierce competition in the demo alone. We're going to be seeing people who log insane distances (once you complete a Survive It drop, it gets harder and you keep repeating the run until you run out of rewinds, IIRC.) on GAF and Merq.

Hope this helps. It's pretty general and I think I'm fine in saying this because I didn't go into specifics. I want to tell you guys specifics (baconsammy in particular, because he keeps asking) but until I get the go ahead from EA PR, I'm beholden to my embargo.

You need to know this, however: I like the game and all I really have to say is positive things about it. If you're enjoying the demo, it's easy for me to recommend the game. So easy. If you're not enjoying the demo, give it some time for it to "click" and I can safely say you'll be enjoying the shit out of it.

Todd emailed me back regarding the grinding thing, so I'll grab it from my email and post it for y'all! (And on Merq for anyone reading from there!)

AndyD

aka andydumi
I am just now figuring out what all the HUD pieces are. I was looking at the wrong thing as a combo timer this whole time.

Parham

Banned
You need to know this, however: I like the game and all I really have to say is positive things about it. If you're enjoying the demo, it's easy for me to recommend the game. So easy. If you're not enjoying the demo, give it some time for it to "click" and I can safely say you'll be enjoying the shit out of it.

Agreed. I needed to play the "Race It" event a couple of times, and get acclimated to the controls, before I really got into it.

Hale-XF11

Thanks for the feedback, soultron. Actually, what I'm really interested in knowing is whether or not some boards are longer or straighter (somewhere in between freestyle & alpine) than others and if they affect steering at all? In other words, are there different steering attributes or board styles?

soultron

Banned
Grinding, straight from Batty, bolding is mine:

Todd Batty said:
Here's the skinny, interesting story actually:

-JT2 is one of the only tracks with so many trees to grind in the entire game (its part of the Rockies theme). Grinding trees feels a little too "sim snowboarding game" for SSX, so we didn't do it too often. Plus they are so short it's not really much of a scoring opportunity

-terrain grinding actually works worst on trees, they are too big and round to really create a sharp edge

-neither bulldog or JT2 have a ton of terrain grinding opps actually. Of the ones in the demo the terrain grind that is most often seen in the full game are sharp ice ridges like in the ground tutorial track

-also, cliff edges are awesome to grind. You shall see. (soultron note: I've done this, it's rad and works much better.)

-terrain grinding is worth more points than rail grinding, because it is harder and less predictable, so its more of an expert move

-we can't magnet you to terrain grinds - that system is different than rails. Here we are analyzing the terrain all around you at all times looking for grindable edges. But these sharp edges are EVERYWHERE in the world (rock faces, front edges of kickers, etc some that you don't even notice) and if we pulled you to one that you didn't actually notice or see it would feel AWFUL (trust me, we tried this)

-as for why one is auto and one is LT, we actually started with everything being auto, realized the problem above, then went to everything being manual and left it like that for awhile. But a lot of SSX vet playtesters didn't like it, and for some newbs it was too hard. They would play for a LONG time before even learning to hold the button.

-Then we added 'jump to' assistance (which is awesome) but it wouldn't kick in unless LT was held, and sometimes when you're airborne you have no idea you are going to be close to landing on a rail, so you would miss a lot of opportunities. So then we made it automatic when you were in the air and going to land on a rail and it became really awesome. But then the question was 'if we auto magnet you to the rail even if you aren't holding LT, what do we do when you actually land on the rail? Make you then start holding LT or kick you off? Keep it auto?
-And anyways, long story short we decided to make a clean separation between the 2. Rails are fully auto, easy to get on/off and score less. Grinds are manual, harder to trigger and score more. The ability to then tap LT to disengage from an auto rail was a nice ancillary benefit. :)

So that's our story. Thank you for listening. Haha

Makes a lot of sense to me. I'm glad they did a lot of playtesting of the stuff we already thought about.

And he's right about the demo tracks. You don't see too many of the fallen tree grinds (which are short, as he said) outside of The Rockies because trees are one of that regions unique terrain features. You still see trees, but they're upright. c:

JaseMath

Posted in the other thread, but no one really uses it, so...

In an effort to generate the ultimate SSX playlist, I've created a collaborative Spotify playlist.

SSX 2012 Co-Op

I've added songs to the playlist I'll be rocking. Feel free to add your own!

Tattooth

I feel like I am doing something wrong with this new trick system. Are double taps up and down on the right stick two handed grabs? I seems really inconsistent with me, sometimes when I just hold up on the stick it will be a rocket air, which is two handed. Sometimes when I just hold up it will be a nose grab, and even if I quarter circle up from the left it will be a nose grab.

I hope that made sense.

I am probably doing something wrong or not paying enough attention to what tricks I am doing, but it just feels like I'm doing the same 4 or 5 tricks each run.

_RT_

As a big fan of Tricky.... I'm disappointed that this game just isn't "clicking" for me.
It feels too fast and I feel like I'm just mashing buttons.

I just don't think I'm going to be able to do it.
Ah well.

tm24

There's something extremely satisfying getting a gold in Bulldog before you reach the dam. And agonizing about blowing the rest of the run. Then satisfying again when you still beat your rival at the end. All while listening to Sabotage thanks to JasonMCG's awesome Spotify playlist.

Sooooooooooo gooood.gif

soultron

Banned
There's something extremely satisfying getting a gold in Bulldog before you reach the dam. And agonizing about blowing the rest of the run. Then satisfying again when you still beat your rival at the end. All while listening to Sabotage thanks to JasonMCG's awesome Spotify playlist.

Sooooooooooo gooood.gif

I wish us Canucks had access to Spotify. Throwing it in the OT! Thanks, JasonMCG!

Can you send messages to friends through Ridernet, bypassing the clunkiness of the PSN messaging?

Can you sort your Ridernet friends into groups?

Can you see which rider your rivals were using and what stats they had when they did the run you're trying to beat?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Posted in the other thread, but no one really uses it, so...

In an effort to generate the ultimate SSX playlist, I've created a collaborative Spotify playlist.

SSX 2012 Co-Op

I've added songs to the playlist I'll be rocking. Feel free to add your own!

I'm new to spotify. Actually just downloaded and logged in for the first time 10 minutes ago. I got a question. Am I able to somehow use this playlist as an in game soundtrack? If so how?

JaseMath

I'm new to spotify. Actually just downloaded and logged in for the first time 10 minutes ago. I got a question. Am I able to somehow use this playlist as an in game soundtrack? If so how?

Unfortunately you can't. Use it to get ideas for the music you want to add to your own PL, though. And it's public, so if there's something that kicks ass and you want everyone else to hear, add it! Some good adds on there already.

I wish us Canucks had access to Spotify. Throwing it in the OT! Thanks, JasonMCG!
Anytime. Music is part of the SSX experience.

Top Bottom