• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

SSX = PS2 exclusive
SSX Tricky = PlayStation 2, GameCube, Game Boy Advance, and Xbox
SSX 3 = Tricky platforms + Gizmodo
Some shit on the N-Gage
SSX On Tour = GameCube, PlayStation 2, PSP and Xbox
Blur = Wii

Now this new one on PS3. I literally had no idea any of the games were on any consoles except PS2 lol

source

SSX On Tour PSP is actually SSX3.

MKAllDay

I don't know if this belongs in the demo thread or if all SSX discussion has moved here so I am going to take a shot and place my question here.
In the race it course on the demo, the ghost for one of my friends gets a massive boost at the start of the race. How did he do that?

JambiBum

I don't know if this belongs in the demo thread or if all SSX discussion has moved here so I am going to take a shot and place my question here.
In the race it course on the demo, the ghost for one of my friends gets a massive boost at the start of the race. How did he do that?

Tricking out of the helicopter and then picking up the flare.

MKAllDay

Tricking out of the helicopter and then picking up the flare.

I trick out as well and he still ends up ahead but I wasn't aware of the flare, I will try that. Thank you.

Edit: The flare right before the first jump was what did it. I wasn't aware flares did anything for you so I never made a conscious effort to grab it. Thanks again

krpiper

He tricked has he jumped from the helicopter

whitehawk

Banned
After playing the demo a bunch more, this may be my GOTY of 2012.

One question though. HOW DO YOU GET GOLD?!?! No matter how fast I go, I'm always around 2:20 or so. My Best time is 2:18. Every race I'm like "Yeah, this is an AWESOME run, I'm gonna win." And then no, I usually get a time between 2:20 and 2:25.

Either way, I LOVE this game. The more you play it, the better you get. Even if it's just a few runs.

Still not clicking with SSX after several runs through the demo. I still feel like I'm just being tugged down the mountain by an invisible tether. Maybe I need to just bite the bullet and buy the game and hope that the demo (more specifically, the tracks) doesn't represent the rest of the game.

Man I cannot seem to get used to the controls. "Classic" doesn't feel the same, new seems more intuitive but kind of imprecise. I dunno, I'll stick with it until I stop sucking enough to judge what's the game's fault :p

bridegur

Can't stop playing this. It took a minute to get used to the slightly new feel of the controls, but I can see myself playing the full game for a long, long time. I can't wait for Tuesday.

After playing the demo a bunch more, this may be my GOTY of 2012.

One question though. HOW DO YOU GET GOLD?!?! No matter how fast I go, I'm always around 2:20 or so. My Best time is 2:18. Every race I'm like "Yeah, this is an AWESOME run, I'm gonna win." And then no, I usually get a time between 2:20 and 2:25.

Either way, I LOVE this game. The more you play it, the better you get. Even if it's just a few runs.

Watch other people play and see what lines they take, and then just practice practice practice.

Seriously, just look up on Youtube the best lines to follow. It helps a lot!

EDIT: Here, I'll include a really good video to watch (posted in the demo thread): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Uer4Uqe9w

Teknoman

Maybe i'm doing it wrong, but does boost give you a substantial speed boost? Because i'm not noticing it aside from the blur effects. Maybe its best for steeper slopes?

whitehawk

Banned
Watch other people play and see what lines they take, and then just practice practice practice.

Seriously, just look up on Youtube the best lines to follow. It helps a lot!

EDIT: Here, I'll include a really good video to watch (posted in the demo thread): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7Uer4Uqe9w

- Doing a trick right out of the heli for a boost, didn't even think of that
- Jumping just before a ramp to avoid lots of air time
- Holding down on the right stick so steering isn't as sensitive.

I'll give it another go tomorrow.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maybe i'm doing it wrong, but does boost give you a substantial speed boost? Because i'm not noticing it aside from the blur effects. Maybe its best for steeper slopes?

The best thing about boost is being able to get up on hills and slopes that would otherwise "lean" you the other direction. Or doing multiple jumps on flat terrain and using boost to not come to a complete stop.

Teknoman

The best thing about boost is being able to get up on hills and slopes that would otherwise "lean" you the other direction. Or doing multiple jumps on flat terrain and using boost to not come to a complete stop.

So you arent supposed to hold it then for as long as possible, just to...well actually give you a boost back to high speed when needed?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
So you arent supposed to hold it then for as long as possible, just to...well actually give you a boost back to high speed when needed?

For trick it, that's how I do it, yeah. In races you should always be using it because you do go faster and have more control, so you should try and build Tricky first for infinite boost so you can maintain control through the track.

YESSS

Finally beat that 1:54:86, feels good man [at least, until I start reading about people beating me by 10 seconds]. Of course, soultron will probably just beat that again, so I think I've got my work cut out for me.

Also, I really love the thing that takes off points based on low flow. Good on them preventing the crap that could be pulled in SSX 3.

mxgt

Banned
The one thing I was worried about from watching videos before the demo is that the game looked too easy.

I'm really glad that isn't the case. Just like previous games, getting a flawless run is extremely hard.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Posted 14.5 million last night. I'm number 2 on my RiderNet. I don't think I'll ever make it to 25mil to take 1st place. My fingers felt like they were going to fall off posting 14.5
KuGsj.gif

I've got a few FR's out (PS3) accept them dudes. I could also use some more friends on ps3 that are going to be active players. PSN name is the same as my forum name. I also added it to the sheet so add me guys.

eshwaaz

Still not clicking with SSX after several runs through the demo. I still feel like I'm just being tugged down the mountain by an invisible tether. Maybe I need to just bite the bullet and buy the game and hope that the demo (more specifically, the tracks) doesn't represent the rest of the game.

Same. It just doesn't capture the feeling of carving through snow like SSX 3 did; the exhilaration just isn't there. Actually, the presentation of snow in general isn't as strong here somehow.

I'm not dismissing it yet, but my initial impressions are disappointing.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

That I did not know.

-Trick out of the heli, AND hit that first flare on the ground.

- Some jumps it's best to jump early off of (or completely before), and some are best just to fall off of and not jump at all.

- I have no idea what you mean about holding the right stick down. That winds up a jump.

whitehawk

Banned
-Trick out of the heli, AND hit that first flare on the ground.

- Some jumps it's best to jump early off of (or completely before), and some are best just to fall off of and not jump at all.

- I have no idea what you mean about holding the right stick down. That winds up a jump.
That's what I mean. If you wind up a jump, the steering isn't as sensitive. Trying winding up a jump on a straight away and then try to turn a hard left or right.

Top Bottom