• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Unfortunately you can't. Use it to get ideas for the music you want to add to your own PL, though. And it's public, so if there's something that kicks ass and you want everyone else to hear, add it! Some good adds on there already.

Anytime. Music is part of the SSX experience.

Ah, that's too bad. It seems like a really cool concept though I can't believe I hadn't heard of it till now so thanks for posting it :)

The demo is great and it looks lovely, but FUCK ME it's hard. I played the demo race track about 10 times and could no better than Bronze. I am guessing that's the first race you do in the full game. If that's the case, its not for me. I'll go back to Dark Souls...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Grinding, straight from Batty, bolding is mine:

Makes a lot of sense to me. I'm glad they did a lot of playtesting of the stuff we already thought about.

And he's right about the demo tracks. You don't see too many of the fallen tree grinds (which are short, as he said) outside of The Rockies because trees are one of that regions unique terrain features. You still see trees, but they're upright. c:

Sure, I guess it makes sense, but I still want the option to make both types manual. Accidentally sticking to a rail and having to press L2 to get off can get pretty annoying.

balddemon

Banned
I love this game. Got up to 14.8mil keeping my combo the whole time...how do ya'll get 40mil lmao

As for the race, I got down to 2:13 with Zoe, but cannot get anywhere near that again...kind of annoying, but thats not stopping me from trying.

Definitely getting this game in 3 days...15% off from Target is gonna be nice.

I'd love for people to add me, I have like 4 friends and only 1 is playing this game.

PSN ID: TheHaighter

EDIT: Also how do you grind on terrain with the classic controls?

Finally managed a full mountain combo on Bulldog. It wasn't a great run but I still managed 20.6M. My second highest score on the track.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How do you guys deal with the section of frozen water before the dam? It always slows me down and breaks my combo.

I usually just keep jumping and doing tricks all the way to the dam. Not that hard. Even easier, but worth less points, is doing board presses.

soultron

Banned
I nose press the whole way most of the time if I'm in Tricky. I know some people are able to jump and pull off some quick grabs while on the ice.

You can easily get 3x flips in if you briefly preload while TRICKY. IIRC, it accelerates your rotations?

Sneaking in some more time with it. Don't have to babysit my nephews until 730!

Codeblew

The demo is great and it looks lovely, but FUCK ME it's hard. I played the demo race track about 10 times and could no better than Bronze. I am guessing that's the first race you do in the full game. If that's the case, its not for me. I'll go back to Dark Souls...

SSX takes a bit of getting used to. If you cannot get past Bronze, you are probably spending too much time in the air. Also, don't forget to use your boost. Use it often.

I think the game will allow you to move on after bronze, so it isn't like you will be stuck on 1 track.

soultron

Banned
HOLY SHIT

DEATH ZONE IS THE GREATEST DROP OF ALL TIME

HOLY FUCKx999999999999999999999999999999

You aren't even EXPECTING this.

I WISH I COULD TELL YOU ABOUT IT FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

HOLY SHIT

poker_face_kindle-337x450.png

soultron

Banned
Tell me about the custom playlist =/

I honestly have not had the time to do it yet. I just had to shut my XBOX off because I'm getting ready to leave. Sorry, Tokubetsu.

I'll do it tomorrow and get back to you, if I get cleared by PR.

I played like 20 minutes of Death Zone in a Race It event. FUCKING WOW. Just... wow. There are surprises in this game we weren't expecting. Shiieeeet.

tm24

HOLY SHIT

I hate you for teasing us like this.

Hale-XF11

Alright, that does it. I've bumped myself up to getting this at midnight at Walmart. I can't take the wait any longer.

edit: lol, Chamber

Ok so i wasn't going to preorder SSX, BUT since I got de-hyped and didn't get to play the DEMO (no XBL Gold) but here's what I did...

I took 14 XBOX360 games to
Gamestop
with cases/manuals included totaling $48.72 USD , used that as instore credit for SSX(+33% for trade in credit) with a Rewards card (+10% trade in credit) and I payed the difference.

(Sidenote: I wanted to give them games out to GAF for stupid low prices in buy/trade/sell thread but it'd take forever to sell them all individually and I might miss them and change my mind. Getting rid of them all in one 10 minute go was my only choice, sorry bros.)

Nomidnight launch on the 27th for me... so I'll be there as
GAMESTOP
opens to pick up my copy and verify my Eddie bonus. No demo for me, so CYA'LL THEN CUZ the 28th IS GONNA BE MY BEST B-DAY EVER, BROS.

Shiloa

So how is the full game set out? I really loved SSX3 and the way I could start at the top and spend half an hour just going down the entire mountain and have the world change around me.

Is this one just separate drops? That would be dull.

Ezel

Neo Member
IGN REVIEW - 9.0

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1219448p1.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N66N9JbcP7w

8.5 Presentation
An awesome global menu system, customizable everything, and even some neat comic book stories for the characters.

9.0 Graphics
The huge, diverse mountain ranges look great, every character is mad stylish and over the top.

8.5 Sound
Eclectic and fun soundtrack from some of the industry’s hottest new electronic and rock names. Shame there’s not more voice acting.

9.0 Gameplay
Over the top, insane snowboarding action that blows the doors off every other boarding game.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
RiderNet and Global Events provide constant challenge, despite the lack of traditional multiplayer.

So how is the full game set out? I really loved SSX3 and the way I could start at the top and spend half an hour just going down the entire mountain and have the world change around me.

Is this one just separate drops? That would be dull.

There are 153 "drops" across 9 regions. Each region has 3-4 different mountains. Some of the drops crisscross with each other, but I think the longest track is about 6 minutes. So, you won't have a giant 30 minute long run like SSX3. It seems like this game is all about shaving seconds off a fast time or getting a perfect run in a trick event.

Shiloa

There are 153 "drops" across 9 regions. Each region has 3-4 different mountains. Some of the drops crisscross with each other, but I think the longest track is about 6 minutes. So, you won't have a giant 30 minute long run like SSX3. It seems like this game is all about shaving seconds off a fast time or getting a perfect run in a trick event.
That's disappointing. Budget buy it is.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
HOLY SHIT

UOM9ol.jpg

Probably totally off but that's my guess anyway.

My impressions on the demo:

It was pretty fun. I like the music and the good classic feel of SSX tricks.

My complaints about it:
  • the tracks are too short (that's probably a given, since it's a demo)
  • there are a very low amount of big jumps to do more tricks off of (my last game that I played from the series was SSX Tricky, so doing a lot of tricks on every jump is more my thing)
  • barely any originality from the demo tracks at least (it's hard to tell which specific track I'm playing on since they all look alike, and that's a major complaint for me)
  • the menu UI (it looks too much like Google Earth, which I don't like too much, since there's no originality)

I'm hoping that the majority of these complaints are non-existent in the full game, so can anyone confirm these?

Unfortunately you can't. Use it to get ideas for the music you want to add to your own PL, though. And it's public, so if there's something that kicks ass and you want everyone else to hear, add it! Some good adds on there already.

Anytime. Music is part of the SSX experience.

More music? Yay!
Here's myvaried, but mostly Metal-themed playlist.
Edit: Whoever put Ski Mask Way on there, thanks. Gave me great eighth-grade flashbacks playing SSX3 to that album.
Double Edit: I'M A MEMBER YAAAAY!
5AaBl.gif

No place better than this thread.

IGN REVIEW - 9.0

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1219448p1.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N66N9JbcP7w

8.5 Presentation
An awesome global menu system, customizable everything, and even some neat comic book stories for the characters.

9.0 Graphics
The huge, diverse mountain ranges look great, every character is mad stylish and over the top.

8.5 Sound
Eclectic and fun soundtrack from some of the industry’s hottest new electronic and rock names. Shame there’s not more voice acting.

9.0 Gameplay
Over the top, insane snowboarding action that blows the doors off every other boarding game.

8.5 Lasting Appeal
RiderNet and Global Events provide constant challenge, despite the lack of traditional multiplayer.

You'd get the same reaction if you took a picture of a dog turd and posted that.

JaseMath

That's disappointing. Budget buy it is.

Budget? Look how much fun people are having with just 2 drops. Now times that by 75. On top of that, you have a tons of unlockable content, RiderNet, the option of maxing out every rider, and personal wish fulfillment.

DAY. FUCKING. ONE.

lush

• barely any originality from the demo tracks at least (it's hard to tell which specific track I'm playing on since they all look alike, and that's a major complaint for me)
  • the menu UI (it looks too much like Google Earth, which I don't like too much, since there's no originality)
"They all look alike"? There are two tracks in the demo and they look drastically different. I recommend you watch some of the trailers in the OP to answer your question.

Not even going to touch your "originality" comment regarding the UI. Shit's got me rolling....

"They all look alike"? There are two tracks in the demo and they look drastically different. I recommend you watch some of the trailers in the OP to answer your question.

Not even going to touch your "originality" comment regarding the UI. Shit's got me rolling....

That's coming from someone that has played a lot of SSX Tricky. :/

RoadHazard

Gold Member
The more I play the demo, the more I'm convinced that auto-grinding rails is a fucking terrible idea. It keeps messing my race attempts up, by making me stick to rails I just want to pass by. Ok, maybe I should be trying harder to stay away from them, but that really breaks the flow of trying to find the best and fastest line. If I want to just pass right over a rail without automatically going off in some unwanted direction, I should be able to. But I can't. Instead, the game insists on taking control away from me whenever I get close to a rail, and it sucks. This is, without a doubt, my single greatest gripe with the game so far. Please, for the love of god, patch in an option to always use L2 to stick to any kind of rail/edge.

I wouldnt say they look drastically different. People that are hardcore SSX and SSX Tricky fans remember how completely different the tracks in those games looked. There was no confusion when you were in the Tokyo Megaplex. They're going for a more realistic look now and in doing so they sacrifice the uniqueness of the look and feel of the tracks. The layouts of the two tracks are vastly different though, and that's what matters most in the end.

I wouldnt say they look drastically different. People that are hardcore SSX and SSX Tricky fans remember how completely different the tracks in those games looked. There was no confusion when you were in the Tokyo Megaplex. They're going for a more realistic look now and in doing so that sacrifice the uniqueness of the look and feel of the tracks. The layouts of the two tracks are vastly different though, and that's what matters most in the end.

This is what I'm talking about exactly. I'm glad you cleared that up.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I want to play more tracks before I judge the auto-grinding. It does fuck me up more often than not in JT2 right now but I like it for trick runs.

The more I play the demo, the more I'm convinced that auto-grinding rails is a fucking terrible idea. It keeps messing my race attempts up, by making me stick to rails I just want to pass by. Ok, maybe I should be trying harder to stay away from them, but that really breaks the flow of trying to find the best and fastest line. If I want to just pass right over a rail without automatically going off in some unwanted direction, I should be able to. But I can't. Instead, the game insists on taking control away from me whenever I get close to a rail, and it sucks. This is, without a doubt, my single greatest gripe with the game so far. Please, for the love of god, patch in an option to always use L2 to stick to any kind of rail/edge.

I agree that it should be consistent with L2 being the grind trigger for everything. It just makes more sense.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I agree that it should be consistent with L2 being the grind trigger for everything. It just makes more sense.

Yep. Reversing the controls for one and the same action (in one situation you have to hold L2 to grind, in the other you have to press L2 to stop grinding) depending on if what you're grinding is an artificial rail or a natural terrain edge just makes no intuitive sense, and is to me simply bad gameplay design.

HOLY SHIT

Then why you tell me this? now Im gonna expect something and I wont feel the level of surprise you felt, thanks bro... I'm happy for you.

Top Bottom