• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Teknoman

What do they mean by lack of traditional multiplayer?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see now.

Is it just me or does doing tricks while grinding seem to slow you down?

tm24

The other 2 songs are i think Herbaliser- What you asked for and

Camo & Krooked - Breezeblock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NcSM_sayac

IWPNV.jpg

Damn you Striker! I'm getting closer. I will defeat you!

JaseMath

Decided to switch over to Standard after my stubborn refusal to abandon Classic. Two things...
1. Standard is really goddamn hard to get used to. I wish I could flip/spin with the D-pad.
2. Tapping L1 and going into slow-mo is FUCKING AWESOME on big air jumps.

Why does classic assign spin/flip to the dpad? I could of sworn you could do it with your left thumb stick in the ps2 games

No you couldn't. I used to steer with the joystick and the tricky part was to prepare a spin at the last moment because I had to drop the stick and go to Dpad so my line needed to be perfect before the last second

No you couldn't. I used to steer with the joystick and the tricky part was to prepare a spin at the last moment because I had to drop the stick and go to Dpad so my line needed to be perfect before the last second

Huh can't believe I don't remember that. I still have the first ssx maybe I'll play around with it tomorrow to refresh my memory.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Wow I finally hit 10mlns on bulldog, I dont understand how scoring works, seems like we just need to go for as much as possible for combos? (whats the x20?)

That's the flow system, I believe. It's goal is to keep you moving. If you keep going forward at a good speed, you'll get up to 20x and earn more points. That's separate from your combo on the left side of the screen.

red731

Whew!

02:02.06 Best race ever haha!

Passed four players and now I need to get time down for ONE second to beat another friend!

Yes, you could. It was an option in the menus for all the previous games, and I think it might have even defaulted that way in the later versions.

Anyway, it's a big fat fail by the dev team that the new game doesn't offer the option. I can't stand using the d-pad for tricks, so I've just resorted to using the standard control scheme.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I'm still not sure where the combo timer is. The arrows sandwiching your score?

Yes. Now I need to learn how they work. Sometimes they move slowly, sometimes they shoot over before you can do anything, before you can even grab or jump to maintain.

I still am not sure how the combo meter works on the bottom. I cant tell if it builds up for each trick and flare you pick up, but it reserves score award until the combo meter ends. Or do flares simply give you more combo timer?

Also, I dont see the point of displaying the name of a trick live as it hapens, it was a lot more fun in the previous games where once you landed a successful trick you got the name. Less screen clutter that way too.

Okay people just cleared some spaces from my friends list, please add me if you are getting the game on the 360! (or already have it, damn you Soultron! :p) I could do with some challenges.

Although I see Mr.Xtortionist is bitch slapping me on the trick score.

GT same as username.

Huh can't believe I don't remember that. I still have the first ssx maybe I'll play around with it tomorrow to refresh my memory.

One of the only things I disliked in the original games was having to move my fingers from the analog stick to the dpad. Eventually it felt natural, but Standard mode in the new game is definitely better to me than using the dpad.

Curufinwe

I wish standard did let you use the d-pad to wind up because when you wind up with the left stick you also steer to the left or right. It's just sitting there doing nothing.

I wish standard did let you use the d-pad to wind up because when you wind up with the left stick you also steer to the left or right. It's just sitting there doing nothing.

Yeah, it sucks that they keep turning you(albeit slightly) when you're in a pre-wind.

I've tried the standard controls, but they remind me too much of skate. So everytime a come up to a jump, I pull back on the right stick and flick it forward.

I'm sticking with classic for now. I'm well used to using the D-pad for prewinds, I actually prefer it over using the left stick.

SSX takes a bit of getting used to. If you cannot get past Bronze, you are probably spending too much time in the air. Also, don't forget to use your boost. Use it often.

I think the game will allow you to move on after bronze, so it isn't like you will be stuck on 1 track.

There's a boost? I should play the demo again. The last SSX I had was Tricky on GC.

I've never played an SSX game before, but I'm excited to play more of this one. I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could add my PSN ID to the Google doc. Looking forward to seeing everyone online.

PSN ID: SlLENTCAPYBARA

(second letter is a lowercase "L").

Dany

Banned
I'm still getting the hang of the new controls. Does it say 'duplicate trick' if I am rotating the same way or is that I am doing a 'tweaked indy' I'm still having troubles winding up and jumping with the right stick. Maybe I'll just use A to jump and the r-stick for tricks.

Dany

Banned
Yep and I'm not sure if you can do it with burnt CDs.

Also, I just found you can't rip songs onto a 4gb Slim. Fucking hell.

I did it with a burnt cd , iirc but idk if I got the id3 metadata to show up, like song name/artist/album to work. That was a problem if I remember

Anyways, I'm curious how people are playing, classic or standard and what are you using to jump? I'm constantly switching between r stick and a

Ok good to know it's possible to do that.

I'm seriously considering buying a 250gb HDD primarily for getting my own songs in the game. *facepalm*

Did the scores recently get reset in the demo? I just signed on my PS3 and it seemed like I didn't have any scores or times posted anywhere.

dkeane

Did the scores recently get reset in the demo? I just signed on my PS3 and it seemed like I didn't have any scores or times posted anywhere.

Ridernet hasn't even worked for me the past 2 nights. I have to forfeit my runs. Servers are probably being messed with for release.

FatCat

Honestly, I didn't enjoy that demo as much I was expecting to. I had such a good time with Blur and not sure what to think now.

Might give the demo another go, but controls and framerate weren't too hot. :-/

wilsham

Neo Member
Loving the demo so far. I suck at it but its fun trying to improve.

I cant wait for my copy of the full game to get here. Roll on Friday! its going to be a long wait for it to come out here in the UK after I start reading about all you US lot getting it on Tuesday.

Top Bottom