• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Managed to get my time on JT2 down to about 1:55 (from 1:59), but right now beating 1:50 is looking pretty much impossible. There's just so much that has to "click" for a run like that. There are opportunities to make mistakes around every corner, and I just can't seem to perform a really clean run.

There are only the two tracks on the demo? One race and one trick?

Yep.

I've really been loving the demo, and the amount of enjoyment I've squeezed out of those two tracks is quite remarkable (there are very few demos, if any, I've kept playing for as long as this one), but it's gonna be sweet to get a bunch of new tracks to play come next week!

soultron

Banned
Going home soon. Will test out some custom soundtrack stuff.

Death Zone with a 15% survival rating was awesome. I'm dying to ride it again.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Going home soon. Will test out some custom soundtrack stuff.

Death Zone with a 15% survival rating was awesome. I'm dying to ride it again.

Don't know it you can answer this, but is there ever a reason to go with a lower survival rating than you could have? Will you somehow be rewarded for taking that risk?

Hale-XF11

Add me on psn = mmarsu :)
20120226_140330.jpg

Nooooo, don't make get back on the demo again. I've been holding out for the final release!
Nicely done.

I may actually buy this game on day one, but if I do, I am afraid that I won't be able to stop playing, therefore causing my hands to fall off.

My hands nearly fell off trying to beat the lowest time on my friend's list.. which I FINALLY beat him coming in at 1:54:16. His time I believe was like 1:54:56 haha.

The other 2 songs are i think Herbaliser- What you asked for and

Camo & Krooked - Breezeblock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NcSM_sayac

Damn you Striker! I'm getting closer. I will defeat you!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. If it makes you feel any better I am constantly chasing the person right in front of me and I haven't even gotten CLOSE to beating my own best time. That 2:02 run was a total fluke.

What's this I hear about not being able to use a flash drive to transfer MP3s to a PlayStation? Is that true? Anyway, from what this (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/927750-playstation-3/answers?qid=25933) says you should be able to add them via media sharing.

NJ Shlice

How are you guys getting these insane trick scores. I can't break 6,000,000.

Is there something I'm missing?

I get in Tricky pretty early and try to keep it as long as possible. Are there tricks that dish out more points? I try to use the 'hold LT and RT' specialized tricks a lot.

Minamu

I get in Tricky pretty early and try to keep it as long as possible. Are there tricks that dish out more points? I try to use the 'hold LT and RT' specialized tricks a lot.
I want to know this too. It's probably a combination of trick variants and the combo meter but I can't get much more than let's say 50x tricks before I reach the bottom unless I stop and use a makeshift halfpipe. Can't get over 14m that way I think.

Flips are worth more than spins. Don't let your combo cash in if you can help it. Don't do multiple tricks on one jump (just one massive trick is worth more). The only time you should bail on a trick and start a new one is if you are doing a duplicate trick since those aren't worth much at all.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I haven't played the demo — saving myself for the real deal since I'm getting it day one anyway. It's been 7-8 years since I last played any SSX title, and I used to think I was pretty good at the series, but that was before the days of RiderNet, YouTube videos of insane runs, etc. I didn't really have any competition so to speak... I think I'm about to be humbled when I finally pop that disc in.

NJ Shlice

Flips are worth more than spins. Don't let your combo cash in if you can help it. Don't do multiple tricks on one jump (just one massive trick is worth more). The only time you should bail on a trick and start a new one is if you are doing a duplicate trick since those aren't worth much at all.

Not sure if I understand.

So if I jump and am holding front and Y I should hold that the entire time instead of switching it up mod flight?

Hale-XF11

I think I'm about to be humbled when I finally pop that disc in.

Yeah, I know I was, just from playing the demo and checking out Ridernet. I lived in my own SSX bubble for years. Never had the opportunity to play online or with anyone else much, really. Also, I haven't played another SSX since 3, so I've been waiting nearly 10 years for this moment.

JaseMath

I haven't played the demo — saving myself for the real deal since I'm getting it day one anyway. It's been 7-8 years since I last played any SSX title, and I used to think I was pretty good at the series, but that was before the days of RiderNet, YouTube videos of insane runs, etc. I didn't really have any competition so to speak... I think I'm about to be humbled when I finally pop that disc in.

No offense, but you may want to try the demo first. This isn't the old SSX - it's a lot looser and may not be your cup of tea.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
No offense, but you may want to try the demo first. This isn't the old SSX - it's a lot looser and may not be your cup of tea.
I know what you mean, but I remember so little about how the old games actually feel and play that I don't think this will be off-putting to me. I'm planning on going into this one without any expectations really set in stone. I just want a game like this at this point — I'd probably buy this specific game even if it wasn't called SSX.

Maybe I will play the demo before taking the plastic wrap off, just in case. Thanks for the suggestion.

Drewfonse

Totally agree. My best time in the demo is 2:04, a full 9 seconds faster than needed for Gold, and yet I still feel inferior, considering people are posting runs in the (!!) mid 1:40s.

Not sure if I understand.

So if I jump and am holding front and Y I should hold that the entire time instead of switching it up mod flight?

Correct. Holding one trick for let's say one minute will be worth more than holding two tricks for 30 seconds each on the same jump.

But if you want a lot of points you shouldn't be doing just a forward flip plus the Y button. You should be doing that forward flip and a combo trick (try B then Y or X then Y) and then tweaking it by holding R2. It seems like your bigger problem maybe that you're only doing the standard one button tricks, as the combo tricks are worth more.

So I've spent a good 5 or 6 hours with the full game now. Heres some things I wanted to note:

- Custom soundtracks are selected as Playlists in your Xbox 360's music library. So what I did was burn my songs to a CD, rip them to the Xbox, take those songs and create a playlist on the Xbox, then select that playlist in the SSX menus. You can assign different playlists for trick events, race events, suvival events, and the menu music. Personally I set custom playlists for race and trick, and left survival and menus to the default SSX music.

The custom soundtrack mixing works really well. The music will come in and out during big air, and it will even start scratching like a stuck record when you do spins on a rail. Some parts of the mixing sound auto-tuned too, which is a neat effect. Overall I'm really happy with it!

**EDIT**: Also forgot to mention that the custom soundtrack option will seemingly play your songs at random. It also appears that whatever algorithm it uses for this isnt very good, as my playlist has 23 songs in it and some songs I'll hear 3 or 4 times before I hear others once. Small annoyance.

- You don't need to play through the World Tour mode to unlock more characters, you can buy them with credits instead if you have enough. Some characters cost more credits than others. You can earn credits faster in the other modes I find.

- Lots of different color suits available for the characters. Some even has additional perks that give you stat bonuses, but cost more credits. Some suits have glowy parts to them that look really cool.

- Sometimes a mystery legendary item will show up in the shop with a timer showing how much time you have left to buy it. I haven't bought one that wasn't awesome so far.

- Some events are limited to certain level equipment, so don't worry about buying that level 10 board and using it forever. You'll need to buy good equipment for every level.

- The wingsuit takes a little time to get used to but is pretty fun. If you're off-balance when you deploy it, it needs a few seconds to "level out" before you can fly it properly. Takes some getting used to.

- They really make Griff out to be a douche in this game off the opening cinematic lol

If anyone has any questions let me know!

tm24

I'm jealous right now that you have a copy. Hows the ui for the custom playlist option? Is it fast to use to make a giant playlist?

Dragnet

Nice impressions, good to hear about the custom music!

I've really hit a wall with the demo now on JT2, just can't break 1:50 no matter what I do. To think that there are people out there 4 or 5 seconds faster makes me depressed. I think when the game comes out I'm only going to focus hardcore on the tracks I really enjoy, I need to..getting compulsive about being number 1 on all 155 drops would be a life ruiner!

If any PSN'ers out there are doing better than 1:50 in the demo, add me :D Need that carrot dangling in front of me..my PSN is Dragnet too.

I've played for half the time you have, joey. Game is fun. It's cliche but if you enjoyed the demo, you'll love the game. Decent graphics, great soundtrack, good variety of events and pretty challenging. Can't see myself playing this for weeks or anything but will last me at least until ME3/MLB.

I'm jealous right now that you have a copy. Hows the ui for the custom playlist option? Is it fast to use to make a giant playlist?

You use the Xbox's playlist tool to create the playlist. The only thing you do in SSX is actually select the playlist you created beforehand.

The Xbox's playlist tool was easy to use since I ended up just adding the full ripped album to a new playlist. Things can get hairy when you start picking and choosing songs from multiple albums on your Xbox though.

So I've spent a good 5 or 6 hours with the full game now. Heres some things I wanted to note:

- Custom soundtracks are selected as Playlists in your Xbox 360's music library. So what I did was burn my songs to a CD, rip them to the Xbox, take those songs and create a playlist on the Xbox, then select that playlist in the SSX menus. You can assign different playlists for trick events, race events, suvival events, and the menu music. Personally I set custom playlists for race and trick, and left survival and menus to the default SSX music.

The custom soundtrack mixing works really well. The music will come in and out during big air, and it will even start scratching like a stuck record when you do spins on a rail. Some parts of the mixing sound auto-tuned too, which is a neat effect. Overall I'm really happy with it!

**EDIT**: Also forgot to mention that the custom soundtrack option will seemingly play your songs at random. It also appears that whatever algorithm it uses for this isnt very good, as my playlist has 23 songs in it and some songs I'll hear 3 or 4 times before I hear others once. Small annoyance.

- You don't need to play through the World Tour mode to unlock more characters, you can buy them with credits instead if you have enough. Some characters cost more credits than others. You can earn credits faster in the other modes I find.

- Lots of different color suits available for the characters. Some even has additional perks that give you stat bonuses, but cost more credits. Some suits have glowy parts to them that look really cool.

- Sometimes a mystery legendary item will show up in the shop with a timer showing how much time you have left to buy it. I haven't bought one that wasn't awesome so far.

- Some events are limited to certain level equipment, so don't worry about buying that level 10 board and using it forever. You'll need to buy good equipment for every level.

- The wingsuit takes a little time to get used to but is pretty fun. If you're off-balance when you deploy it, it needs a few seconds to "level out" before you can fly it properly. Takes some getting used to.

- They really make Griff out to be a douche in this game off the opening cinematic lol

If anyone has any questions let me know!

Can you tell us whether the case has interior artwork?

Tiktaalik

Thanks for the impressions joeygreco1985. The custom soundtrack options sound really interesting. I've never really used the custom soundtrack features of games before, but this one sounds worth trying out.

im not home so i cant check but there is no manual (shocking!)

Thanks for the impressions joeygreco1985. The custom soundtrack options sound really interesting. I've never really used the custom soundtrack features of games before, but this one sounds worth trying out.
its a nice feature; i think the included soundtrack is very strong though

It does not. The case also does not have a manual. It came with:

- slip containing the online code
- slip advertising FIFA Street 3
- Pamphlet containing warranty information and how to connect to Xbox Live (in english and in french in my copy lol)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Unlockable characters? I shouldn't be surprised since that's how it always worked. Which ones do you start with?

I've played the demo about 50 times now and I still can't get first place. I am boosting constantly and all I can manage is 2:16.xx. There is no way I would buy the game based on this demo, it's far too difficult.

Is the final game as brutally hard as the demo?

It does not. The case also does not have a manual. It came with:

- slip containing the online code
- slip advertising FIFA Street 3
- Pamphlet containing warranty information and how to connect to Xbox Live (in english and in french in my copy lol)

Thanks.

Isn't it interesting how IGN's exclusive review happens to show no footage of the game's "story" cut scenes? He briefly mentions them, but this was the first I'd even heard of this game having a "story". Kind of makes me think part of IGN's exclusive deal was that they weren't allowed to show any of those cut scenes.

Unlockable characters? I shouldn't be surprised since that's how it always worked. Which ones do you start with?

You start with Zoe, then as you go from location to location in the World Tour mode you unlock the others. Or you could buy whichever character you want if you have the credits.

Eddie isn't showing on the character select screen either, so it doesn't look like you can purchase him with credits (at least not yet)

Dragnet

I've played the demo about 50 times now and I still can't get first place. I am boosting constantly and all I can manage is 2:16.xx. There is no way I would buy the game based on this demo, it's far too difficult.

If the best time you're getting while boosting is 2:16, then you must be taking the bloody longest route possible! Describe your route for us?

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Getting gold is just about finding the correct route. I couldn't get any better than 2:22 but after watching some of the faster runs on youtube, I can hit gold with ease.

If the best time you're getting while boosting is 2:16, then you must be taking the bloody longest route possible! Describe your route for us?

Well that's hard to explain (I don't crash once either btw). Even if I follow Alex I am miles off of him by the end. I've tried different routes, but I am obviously missing the magic secret route. My score is about 3 million by the end.

I typically follow Alex as much as possible trying to keep up. I follow him through the tunnel and around the red rails.

Dragnet

Well that's hard to explain (I don't make crash once either btw). Even if I follow Alex I am miles off of him by the end. I've tried different routes, but I am obviously missing the magic secret route. My score is about 3 million by the end.

Alex is a girl ;) Just remember you want as little airtime as possible, try and hop over small ramps to avoid them throwing you into the air for too long. After the first big big drop (after you go under the second bridge) make sure you go left through the cave. Once your down to the area with tracks, sticking on the rails (as long as you have boost) will keep you moving at a good speed. There's another small cave when you leave that area on the right (your pilot mentions it and tells you to go left to avoid it), I'd advise taking it. It's really direct to the bottom, from there just hit the red rail that drops through the middle and into the canyon and you should be good! Remember to get as much boost as possible too, so do flips rather than spins and tricks that require double taps of the stick or buttons are worth a lot more. Good luck!

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
As you may or may not know, I am a big ssx fan......loved the original....tricky and 3 but never played the wii version....

Played the xbox live demo and was sold......so the only question i have is.......should i go with the ps3 version or the 360 version?

Which one has better graphics?

Alex is a girl ;) Just remember you want as little airtime as possible, try and hop over small ramps to avoid them throwing you into the air for too long. After the first big big drop (after you go under the second bridge) make sure you go left through the cave. Once your down to the area with tracks, sticking on the rails (as long as you have boost) will keep you moving at a good speed. There's another small cave when you leave that area on the right (your pilot mentions it and tells you to go left to avoid it), I'd advise taking it. It's really direct to the bottom, from there just hit the red rail that drops through the middle and into the canyon and you should be good! Remember to get as much boost as possible too, so do flips rather than spins and tricks that require double taps of the stick or buttons are worth a lot more. Good luck!

OK cheers :)

As you may or may not know, I am a big ssx fan......loved the original....tricky and 3 but never played the wii version....

Played the xbox live demo and was sold......so the only question i have is.......should i go with the ps3 version or the 360 version?

Which one has better graphics?

It seems the 360 version looks just a touch sharper upon close analysis, but the difference will be unnoticeable to most people.

Out of interest am I right in hearing about pre order DLC being a character and an entire mountain? (Mount Fuji!??)

If so what attributes does the special character have? Can I eventually unlock characters on par with him or is missing him going to mean I miss out on something unique?

Of course I wouldnt want to miss out on an entire mountain either!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Out of interest am I right in hearing about pre order DLC being a character and an entire mountain? (Mount Fuji!??)

If so what attributes does the special character have? Can I eventually unlock characters on par with him or is missing him going to mean I miss out on something unique?

Of course I wouldnt want to miss out on an entire mountain either!

Mt. Fuji isn't a pre-order bonus, it's just exclusive to the PS3 version in NA. You have to pre-order at Gamestop to unlock Eddie but there's nothing special about him. Just another character to have.

JaseMath

I know what you mean, but I remember so little about how the old games actually feel and play that I don't think this will be off-putting to me. I'm planning on going into this one without any expectations really set in stone. I just want a game like this at this point — I'd probably buy this specific game even if it wasn't called SSX.

Maybe I will play the demo before taking the plastic wrap off, just in case. Thanks for the suggestion.

Don't let me talk you out of loving the game! It's got it's problems (at least in the demo...), but it's great once the controls start to click.

I didn't notice a bonus with this. Its harder for sure, but I didn't see the upside really.
Are there any customization options that aren't in the demo? Can you make modifications to the controller setup(s) at all?

Dany

Banned
Mt. Fuji isn't a pre-order bonus, it's just exclusive to the PS3 version in NA. You have to pre-order at Gamestop to unlock Eddie but there's nothing special about him. Just another character to have.

He was my main in Tricky, sucks he is pre-order though, his special tricky is still rad.

Is Eddie like Axel in Twisted Metal where for the first month he's a preorder bonus but after a month he automatically unlocks?

How are the cut scenes? Are there any characters that stand out as having good/bad voices? I've heard mention that Psymon has changed a lot.

Top Bottom