• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

tm24

I can't be the only person hearing Tricky in their head when they're in the zone doing something else entirely separate from SSX right?

Man my hype level for this game is through the roof

JambiBum

Wouldn't that count as streaming or something? I was under the impression it HAD to be on the 360's main hdd for it to get mixed.

Well I mean, you can install games to flash drives and play them that way, so they act like a hard drive. I have no idea if you can use the flash drive for the play list thing. Might be worth a try though.

lush

Finally got back on to give Bulldog a try and golded it with a score of 13,134,486 in my 2nd try. Nothing special based on this thread but I'll take it based on how little time I've put in. I'm done till Tuesday. Hype.

Gamertag = Stereolab

Need more peeps to challenge.

The demo got me so hyped for this game.

Maybe it's because I associate the SSX series with the previous gen of consoles, but it just seems like games like this don't come out anymore. In my opinion the most recent one that feels like this was Burnout Paradise, which I also loved.

PS3 or 360?

Did you ever give Pure a shot, by chance? It was basically like SSX on ATVs. If you're ever looking for more of that kind of thing I recommend checking it out.

Finally got back on to give Bulldog a try and golded it with a score of 13,134,486 in my 2nd try. Nothing special based on this thread but I'll take it based on how little time I've put in. I'm done till Tuesday. Hype.

Gamertag = Stereolab

I put in a good amount of time into Bulldog and didn't get much better, 17 million. Just can't seem to find any particular line I like and it's hard to follow someone else's ghost since we all go at different paces in Trick it!

On the other hand I'm loving the Race it! stage in the demo, got my time all the way down to 1:53.69 which is good enough for me right now. When you go fast you go FAST, to the point where it's almost uncomfortable. Didn't think they'd pull that off in a snowboarding game but they sure did.

Socreges

Banned
This is sort of funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0bTUBuimwc

Yeah, the new physics engine, the very forgiving landing mechanics and the automatic rail grinding does kind of make the game play itself (albeit terribly). You can't do it on the other track, though. I tried, and didn't make it past the dam.
kimleaving.gif

And
KuGsj.gif
at 3:12. Pretty funny.

I don't doubt the game is still fun, but the more I hear, the more disinterested I am. I'll download the demo in the next few days, though.

red731

I can't be the only person hearing Tricky in their head when they're in the zone doing something else entirely separate from SSX right?

Man my hype level for this game is through the roof

No you are not :D:D

I hear all the combo music with all the bass and everything. edit: everytime

MY NAME IS RUN IM NUMBER ONE ITS VERY COMPLICATED! DROP

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
2 qqs as i decide whether to pre-order tomorrow

-any reviews other than the ign one?
-ps3 is ok i presume? i could never play this game with 360 triggers

tm24

2 qqs as i decide whether to pre-order tomorrow

-any reviews other than the ign one?
-ps3 is ok i presume? i could never play this game with 360 triggers

No reviews yet outside of the ign one, but a lot of Gaffers have already gotten their hands on it and love it. You can easily tell if youre gonna love it by the demo though.

So far, no big technical differences between the two. Game plays great with the PS3 controller

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ok thanks I'll keep an eye out then. Would probably pick it up for certain if I didn't have this full plate now with the Vita launch but may pick it up anyway.

Mister Snig

Neo Member
kimleaving.gif

And
KuGsj.gif
at 3:12. Pretty funny.

I don't doubt the game is still fun, but the more I hear, the more disinterested I am. I'll download the demo in the next few days, though.

With the way they've been pushing multiplayer as a huge component of the game, getting a bronze medal is pretty much inconsequential. There's still a ridiculous amount of challenge to the game. Try going for gold when you download that demo.

lush

Gamertag = Stereolab

Ha. Gave back in and hit 15,512,150 and overtook someone from here on the leaderboard on my 2nd attempt. Think I'm finally understanding how to attack a trick run.

edit: 16,001,456

edit2: 17,383,784

I'm officially done.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've heard some reports that the controls in the PS3 demo are significantly looser than on the 360, where they are tighter and make it easier to go where you want, and that this puts PS3 players at a significant disadvantage (supposedly, PS3 players are generally not able to get up there with the best of the 360 players in the demo). Can anyone who has played both versions confirm this?

I will say that, even though I think the PS3 version plays just fine, I do feel like certain things are more up to luck than skill due to the somewhat oversensitive controls. An example is the square hole you ideally want to go through after the first tunnel on JT2. Half of the time I smash into its sides instead of passing smoothly through, and the other times feel more like luck than skill. I simply don't feel like I have the fine control necessary to confidently put myself exactly where I need to be.

(My best time on JT2 is 1:55.)

Tokubetsu

I've heard some reports that the controls in the PS3 demo are significantly looser than on the 360, where they are tighter and make it easier to go where you want, and that this puts PS3 players at a significant disadvantage (supposedly, PS3 players are generally not able to get up there with the best of the 360 players in the demo). Can anyone who has played both versions confirm this?

I will say that, even though I think the PS3 version plays just fine, I do feel like certain things are more up to luck than skill due to the somewhat oversensitive controls. An example is the square hole you ideally want to go through after the first tunnel on JT2. Half of the time I smash into its sides instead of passing smoothly through, and the other times feel more like luck than skill. I simply don't feel like I have the fine control necessary to confidently put myself exactly where I need to be.

I think it'll still be personal preference at the end of the day.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think it'll still be personal preference at the end of the day.

Well, yeah, but if the PS3 controls actually make it harder to accurately go where you want to, then that's kind of a problem. Like I said, I often find it difficult to zero in on a certain line and follow it very closely.

Spookie

With this having no proper multiplayer do you still need gold to play 'online'? I haven't used my 360 in such a long period of time because I refuse to pay for P2P gaming.

Too bad, got my time down to 1.52 last night woohooooooo

Im down to 1.51.63, I have no idea how people have posted scores in the 1.45 range. Im quite happy with that score and think I will stop playing the demo there, dont want to totally burnout before the full game.

Dragnet

I have to ask...
Is anyone else in love with tapping the rewind button in the middle of a huge trick for the slo-mo effect? So damn cool - and it doesn't affect your score or combo!

If I see you beat my Bulldog score I'm not counting it then :p That's a known glitch over on Merq, tapping L1 seems to slow everything down except something to do with your trick score, and it ends up adding significantly to your score if you do it through the whole run.

Well, yeah, but if the PS3 controls actually make it harder to accurately go where you want to, then that's kind of a problem. Like I said, I often find it difficult to zero in on a certain line and follow it very closely.

I think you'll find 360 players have trouble with that area too. You have to really read the ground 10-20m in front of you in this game to stay on the line you want, it's really important in that tunnel. Maybe the 360 controller is better, but I doubt it's exceptionally so, and it's not like RiderNet takes scores from both 360 and PS3 anyway.

Yeah, I spent more time with this demo than I have with any other demo in quite sometime. Will be getting this tomorrow after work. I am excite!

Anyone else ever have trouble getting music transferred to the harddrive of a slim 360? I spent more time yesterday trying to get some custom music on my system, but every time I burnt a CD and tried to rip it, it would grab about 4-6 of the first 10 tracks, usually randomly, and then skip all the rest. Looked around and saw someone recommended downloading Nero Lite, so I did that, but Ill need to pick up more CDs today.

Crazy its taking this much effort to drop some tracks on this system. : /

Natural

So where's everyone ordered the game from then? I'm looking at you Europe/UK Gaf! I've still yet to order mine, for 360 too.

Spookie

Is that the cheapest online? How is their delivery? Is there an 'exclusive' with it, like getting Eddie from GAME?

They appear to be the cheapest. Their delivery usually gets the game to me Wednesday/Thursday before release. No exclusives with it though.

Where are you hearing these "reports"? Specifically.

I'd be surprised if it's true, but there is no doubt the PS3 analog sticks are looser than the 360's. For that reason some people may prefer one over another, but to actually suggest there is a flaw in the programming would take some real evidence.

glaurung

I'd be surprised if it's true, but there is no doubt the PS3 analog sticks are looser than the 360's. For that reason some people may prefer one over another, but to actually suggest there is a flaw in the programming would take some real evidence.
I would also like to have a solid source and not some baked fanboyism behind this.

Considering the way the controllers work, I cannot comprehend what would prompt this manner of disparity unless you somehow managed to break the controller on the go.

Pancho

Qurupancho
Any pointers for trick events? I'm not able to reach high scores. Do you guys do a short string of long tricks in a single jump or a longer string of shorter tricks?

soultron

Banned
Any pointers for trick events? I'm not able to reach high scores. Do you guys do a short string of long tricks in a single jump or a longer string of shorter tricks?

Hold your tricks. Flips are worth more than spins. Always tweak with RT. Never duplicate. If you see duplicate trick notifications, rewind. (Duplicates don't happen as long as you perform trick B/C/D/E/etc. before trying trick A again.)

Use your signature Uber as much as possible because it's worth the most.

Xun

Silly question, but because of the way the new game works, do you need Gold to play online?

I should hopefully be able to play the demo tomorrow, so I'll decide on the version then.

soultron

Banned
Silly question, but because of the way the new game works, do you need Gold to play online?

I should hopefully be able to play the demo tomorrow, so I'll decide on the version then.

See a bunch of posts above. The answer is on this page. :p

Dragnet

Is Eddie a GAME exclusive?

Yeah, GAME get Mt. Fuji too.

I would also like to have a solid source and not some baked fanboyism behind this.

Considering the way the controllers work, I cannot comprehend what would prompt this manner of disparity unless you somehow managed to break the controller on the go.

It's literally just members on Merqury City from what I've seen, and they think it's nothing to do with the programming, it's literally that the 360 controller's give you less range of input, therefore a smaller range of control which means being less 'wiggly' on the track. It's a compliment to the PS3 controller in a way. If it's true maybe the SSX team should add a sensitivity slider or something..

RoadHazard

Gold Member

It's literally just members on Merqury City from what I've seen, and they think it's nothing to do with the programming, it's literally that the 360 controller's give you less range of input, therefore a smaller range of control which means being less 'wiggly' on the track. It's a compliment to the PS3 controller in a way. If it's true maybe the SSX team should add a sensitivity slider or something..

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was talking about. And isn't the general idea that many on that forum are quite enthusiastic SSX fans who know what they're talking about (obviously this won't apply to everyone there, but still)?

Ok, so maybe it's simply down to the PS3 controller being more sensitive, but shouldn't the developers then have accounted for that to make sure that the game is as easy/hard on either platform? Certain people in this thread seem very convinced that PS3 players are at a clear disadvantage because of this, whatever the root cause is.

Yeah, there might not be a "solid source", just a bunch of convinced people on an SSX forum. Personally, I just want to know if it's true or not. It won't really matter in the game, of course, since everyone will be competing on equal terms, but if what they are saying is true that's gonna make comparing cross-platform times on forums such as this one a lot less interesting.

evilive7

Banned
Yeah, GAME get Mt. Fuji too.

This sounds a lot like PS3/360 controller issues with the Tiger Woods game. Its considerably easier to hit straight on the 360 controller because the analog stick is pretty rigid. On the PS3 version you get a lot more variance in where your shots go because the stick itself is considerably looser. I usually only get the golf games on the PS3 because its just not as much of a challenge on the 360 controller.

JaseMath

If I see you beat my Bulldog score I'm not counting it then :p That's a known glitch over on Merq, tapping L1 seems to slow everything down except something to do with your trick score, and it ends up adding significantly to your score if you do it through the whole run.
Whoa what?! Had no idea. I only do it like 2 or 3 times a run just because it looks so badass.

I keep getting so close to your score, but I always drop my combo at the end because I get excited. Like, "Ha ha! Gotcha now Dragne---NOOOOOOO!" LOL I'm trying.

Dragnet

I guess the true test is to look at the best times on each platform. I've seen 1:44s on 360 and I'm pretty sure 1:45s on PS3, but I've got such limited exposure. It'd be interesting to look at RiderNets global best times, if we could. Some people in that thread were saying that this problem could actually benefit the PS3 on trick runs, because of how quick you can turn and hit little jumps.

Whoa what?! Had no idea. I only do it like 2 or 3 times a run just because it looks so badass.

I keep getting so close to your score, but I always drop my combo at the end because I get excited. Like, "Ha ha! Gotcha now Dragne---NOOOOOOO!" LOL I'm trying.

Ha, if you do beat me I give up, Trick it is fun but I think I prefer (and I'm better) at Race it, so I'll stick to that! Yeah, the end of the run is just a panicky mess, the amount of times I've bailed with the finish literally in sight!

Dragnet

They get a mountain too?! How's their delivery?

Yeah, not sure about delivery, I ordered in-store, I haven't ordered anything with them since GTA4 (which did arrive on time) so I'm not the best to ask about that, sorry!

They get a mountain too?! How's their delivery?

I have never used Game.co.uk myself I am quite interested. Am I better off pre ordering then picking up in store? My biggest problem right now is whether I should pick the game up day one or wait a month, im sure the price will drop fairly quick considering the limited multiplayer.

Also obligatory joke about how it must be a 'little bit tricky' fitting an entire mountain inside the delivery truck.

Top Bottom