• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Hows the difficulty curve in World Tour? Playing the tracks in the demo I felt like I was going too fast and out of control the whole time. Is there a reasonable ramp up or is it crazy right away?

Seems kind of easy. I failed 2 of the Deadly Descents twice but got them done. I finished 7 so far

DeFrank

i don't get this whole controller thing, regardless of the console everyone else you're competing against are gonna be using the same controller as you. Would be a legit concern if there was a general leaderboard for both consoles. Not like the PS3 version controls like crap, I play just fine.

I don't think it's a question of whether it's fair or not.

The concern is legitimate because one feels better than the other, I'm not gratified by the fact that others are sharing the same substandard experience.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
i don't get this whole controller thing, regardless of the console everyone else you're competing against are gonna be using the same controller as you. Would be a legit concern if there was a general leaderboard for both consoles. Not like the PS3 version controls like crap, I play just fine.

Even if it's the same for everyone (which it of course is), that doesn't mean I'm gonna be super happy about the version of the game I'm getting controlling worse. And like I said, it's gonna make posting and comparing cross-platform scores on forums such as this one a lot less interesting, knowing that half of the players have a control disadvantage.

I just tried playing the demo for a bit, and something I noticed is that the left stick deadzone is huge. Among the largest in any PS3 game I've played, I believe. You have to push the stick pretty far for anything to happen at all. Could this be what's throwing people (including me) off and making them oversteer a lot?

For comparison's sake, I fired up PJ Shooter 2 right after the SSX demo, and yeah, the difference is astounding. There is no deadzone at all in PJS2; I can barely touch the stick without the ship starting to move. In SSX, it needs to be at quite an angle for the game to react.

So... what's up with that, EA? I can't see any good reason for programming such a large deadzone. It just makes making small adjustments to your trajectory more difficult than it should be, and it also kind of makes it feel like there's input lag (or, more than there actually is).

soultron

Banned
Even if it's the same for everyone (which it of course is), that doesn't mean I'm gonna be super happy about the version of the game I'm getting controlling worse. And like I said, it's gonna make posting and comparing cross-platform scores on forums such as this one a lot less interesting, knowing that half of the players have a control disadvantage.

I just tried playing the demo for a bit, and something I noticed is that the left stick deadzone is huge. Among the largest in any PS3 game I've played, I believe. You have to push the stick pretty far to even start turning slightly. Could this be what's throwing people (including me) off and making them oversteer a lot?

For comparison's sake, I fired up PJ Shooter 2 right after the SSX demo, and yeah, the difference is astounding. There is no deadzone at all in PJS2; I can barely touch the stick without the ship starting to move. In SXX, it needs to be at quite an angle for anything to happen at all.

So... what's up with that, EA?

I'm not attacking you with what I'm about to say, RoadHazard, so please don't take it that way. I'm just going to say this for the sake of discussion. Isn't the power of conscious suggestion a factor in this? I mean this in that you hear it, try it, and believe it -- only because you've heard about it and now are looking for it, almost willing it to happen.

I don't really think PJS2 is an apt comparison either. Do you have a 360 to demo the game on? I'll go on my roommate's PS3 and see if I can get a time under 2:00 on JT2 since he has the demo installed. I'll try to get a feel for a comparison as best I can. I'll pay special attention to stuff like deadzone, since you mentioned it.

Ok, now we have people confirming by the dozen that the 360 version controls better. Would it really be this unanimous if it was simply a matter of different stick tension? Seems weird.

I've still not played the game on PS3, but every multiplatform game I play on PS3 seems to control worse to me because I play 95% of my games on 360. The sticks are looser on PS3, absolutely. But if you're someone who plays PS3 95% of the time, won't that feel more natural to you in the first place?

I believe what Soultron said is the correct answer. If you play a lot of games on the PS3 controller, you're not going to mind playing this game on the PS3 at all.

I spend an equal amount of time on both consoles, and while I preferred the way the game felt on the 360 controller, it certainly didn't feel bad on the PS3. It was just a small difference, and I chose to go 360. If I only had a PS3, I wouldn't have any problem playing this game on that console.

LiK

i bought every SSX for Sony console based on the controller alone. i guess this whole issue with the sticks might not bother me.

Curufinwe

I don't think it's a question of whether it's fair or not.

The concern is legitimate because one feels better than the other, I'm not gratified by the fact that others are sharing the same substandard experience.

Yeah, I played the hell out of both demos and thought the PS3 version felt better.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I'm not attacking you with what I'm about to say, RoadHazard, so please don't take it that way. I'm just going to say this for the sake of discussion. Isn't the power of conscious suggestion a factor in this? I mean this in that you hear it, try it, and believe it -- only because you've heard about it and now are looking for it, almost willing it to happen.

I don't really think PJS2 is an apt comparison either. Do you have a 360 to demo the game on? I'll go on my roommate's PS3 and see if I can get a time under 2:00 on JT2 since he has the demo installed. I'll try to get a feel for a comparison as best I can. I'll pay special attention to stuff like deadzone, since you mentioned it.

Well, I've been noticing that I'm having trouble holding a steady line all along, of course, but I initially just assumed that's how the game is. Now I'm hearing that most people seem to think that the 360 version controls better, so yeah, I'm gonna "worry" about that. I don't want a worse controlling version of the game for no reason at all just because I'm on PS3. I'm really looking forward to this game, so of course I want it to play as well as it "should".

Does the deadzone seem unusually large in the 360 version? Again, this is definitely not something I'm imagining, and it's something I could very well imagine being at least part of the problem.

DeFrank

Yeah, I played the hell out of both demos and thought the PS3 version felt better.

I think it's fair to say that since you like the PS3 controls more, you'll be more inclined to purchase the PS3 version... which is my point.

Whatever your preference may be, my point is that equality is not really the concern.

JaseMath

I've noticed no "dead zones" in the PS3 demo...not that I've really taken the time to notice. No offense, but I think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If it's truly a problem, I'm sure it'll be patched in the short term.

Well, I've been noticing that I'm having trouble holding a steady line all along, of course, but I initially just assumed that's how the game is. Now I'm hearing that most people seem to think that the 360 version controls better, so yeah, I'm gonna "worry" about that. I don't want a worse controlling version of the game for no reason at all just because I'm on PS3. I'm really looking forward to this game, so of course I want it to play as well as it "should".

Does the deadzone seem unusually large in the 360 version? Again, this is definitely not something I'm imagining, and it's something I could very well imagine being at least part of the problem.
Maybe it's your controller?

EDIT: Reading fail.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I've been playing the shit out of the PS3 demo and I've noticed no "dead zones". No offense, but I think people are making a mountain out of a mole hill. If it's truly a problem, I'm sure it'll be patched in the short term.

Maybe it's your controller?

For comparison's sake, I fired up PJ Shooter 2 right after the SSX demo, and yeah, the difference is astounding. There is no deadzone at all in PJS2; I can barely touch the stick without the ship starting to move. In SSX, it needs to be at quite an angle for the game to react.

Dragnet

I hope people aren't letting the left stick sit in the middle and just flicking it left and right - that's not the way to control this game. In my experience it's best to hold the stick all the way forward (gets you more speed that way too) and then rotate the stick around the edge of the case, or whatever you want to call it. Gives you much greater finesse in the direction and overall control.

I have no issues playing on PS3 this way. Yes, I've played the 360 version, I really don't feel the difference.

InertiaXr

It's called 'confirmation bias' usually.

I believe what Soultron said is the correct answer. If you play a lot of games on the PS3 controller, you're not going to mind playing this game on the PS3 at all.

I spend an equal amount of time on both consoles, and while I preferred the way the game felt on the 360 controller, it certainly didn't feel bad on the PS3. It was just a small difference, and I chose to go 360. If I only had a PS3, I wouldn't have any problem playing this game on that console.

I only have a PS3 so that's where I played the demo, and it controlled like shit. Came here afterwards and saw others saying the same thing, no confirmation bias here. Afterwards I put 3 back in to compare and see how far the series has 'advanced', and oh wow that game controls like a dream.

Hale-XF11

It would really be a complete non-issue if we knew whether or not different boards effect steering or not, but I still don't know if this game includes boards of different lengths/sizes.

The demo makes it feel like you're playing with a purely free-style board, rather than one meant for racing down a straight path.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
I had worse times with the 360 controller and couldn't do shit in the demo... had a complete opposite experience with the PS3 controller, so I chose it for that system.

Though the only SSX game I ever played was for like the GameCube.

soultron

Banned
I just played the demo (PSN: soultron) and got 1:59 on my first try -- I didn't really feel like I was going wildly out of control either. Slight touches on the stick yielded changes in direction; an easy way to see slight touches register is to watch the character's board in-air and watch the character turn their torso/board to match your inputs.

I think it plays fine, personally. If I spent as much time on the PS3 demo as I did with the 360 version, I'm sure I'd be closer to my 360 JT2 time.

Just my thoughts.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
...and here's another thread full of people agreeing (and a few who don't) that the 360 version controls much better and doesn't make them oversteer as much as the PS3 version: http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9854

Does this matter when you're just gonna be competing against other PS3 players anyway? Not really, in terms of times and scores. Does it matter when you consider that the PS3 version simply seems to control worse, period? Yes. Less control over your actions means a less enjoyable experience, there's no two ways about that. And I think we all want an experience as enjoyable as possible out of this game. That's why I'm a bit bummed out that this seems to be true.

ultron87

As an SSX3 Gamecube veteran the 360 was the closet thing to that (except of course for the additional shoulder button).

I've been practicing with standard controls in the demo, but if they actually fixed the spin speed thing with classic (can anyone with retail confirm that?) I might have to switch back to classic. It just feels so right.

Dragnet

...and here's another thread full of people agreeing (and a few who don't) that the 360 version controls much better and doesn't make them oversteer as much as the PS3 version: http://www.merqurycity.com/ssx_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=9854

Does this matter when you're just gonna be competing against other PS3 players anyway? Not really, in terms of times and scores. Does it matter when you consider that the PS3 version simply seems to control worse, period? Yes. Less control over your actions means a less enjoyable experience, there's no two ways about that. And I think we all want an experience as enjoyable as possible out of this game. That's why I'm a bit bummed out that this seems to be true.

There's a point where it comes down to skill. If you're oversteering, you're holding the stick in that direction for too long. Blaming it on the controller is the easy way out. Should also be noted a lot of the people in that thread seem to have been playing the 360 demo a lot more than the PS3 version.

This is a non issue imo.

JaseMath

As an SSX3 Gamecube veteran the 360 was the closet thing to that (except of course for the additional shoulder button).

I've been practicing with standard controls in the demo, but if they actually fixed the spin speed thing with classic (can anyone with retail confirm that?) I might have to switch back to classic. It just feels so right.

It's been confirmed fixed by several people over at MC. I'd switch back to classic if I didn't have to break my fingers to steer, grind and nose press at the same time.
:(

Hale-XF11

We still don't have confirmation on whether or not different boards have an affect on steering sensitivity or not. Since that's the case, I'm just gonna have to confirm it for myself later on tonight when I pick up the game. I'm anxious to settle this once and for all.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There's a point where it comes down to skill. If you're oversteering, you're holding the stick in that direction for too long. Blaming it on the controller is the easy way out. Should also be noted a lot of the people in that thread seem to have been playing the 360 demo a lot more than the PS3 version.

This is a non issue imo.

...but there are also people saying things like (paraphrased) "I had been playing the PS3 demo, and then I tried the 360 demo and instantly shattered my PS3 records". Oh well.

Sorry for asking ( could not keep up with this thread because of my Vita ) but is the pre-order DLC later unlocked in the standard version off the game?

Curufinwe

I just played the demo (PSN: soultron) and got 1:59 on my first try -- I didn't really feel like I was going wildly out of control either. Slight touches on the stick yielded changes in direction; an easy way to see slight touches register is to watch the character's board in-air and watch the character turn their torso/board to match your inputs.

I think it plays fine, personally. If I spent as much time on the PS3 demo as I did with the 360 version, I'm sure I'd be closer to my 360 JT2 time.

Just my thoughts.

My best time on the PS3 demo was also 1:59, but it took me about 200 attempts.

Yep, I played both demos a lot...too much probably, and it made my decision on getting the 360 version easier. The tighter analogs on the 360 controller just made the game much more enjoyable to me, which is saying a lot because I'm essentially giving up a whole extra mountain (at launch at least) for better controls.

For $2.50 you can make the PS3 analog triggers WAY better with these little pieces of plastic. They make the triggers concave like the Xbox triggers. Why Sony put convex triggers on the DS3 is beyond me. Your fingers slip off of them so easily. This fixes that problem.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AW156U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Two things:

1) Your comparison to Pixel Junk Shooter is 2 million % pointless. Every single game has it's own programming related to the analog sticks. A shooter of that type would likely have the tightest controls possible.

2) It's already been established repeatedly now, that the PS3 analog sticks have always been looser than the 360 sticks. I have personally played many games on both consoles, and have tried many demos on both consoles, to make the same determination I did with SSX. Which version do I buy?

Every single time it's immediately noticeable to me that the PS3 sticks feel looser, and sometimes I like it that way for certain games. Sometimes I prefer the tighter sticks on the 360.

Regardless, it's always been this way. So what I'm trying to say is that the people on that SSX forum, and yourself, are freaking out about something that has always existed, and now they're trying to make something huge out of it with this one game because they're obsessively comparing the two versions of the same game. I've done this myself with previous demos, and the conclusions were always the same. The PS3 controls feel looser, because the sticks are looser.

In summary, it's extremely likely the game is the same between the two versions, but the sticks are making people think otherwise.

gate777

Amazon just shipped my order. Should be here either later today or tomorrow. Awesome! I've been holding off playing the demo so I don't get burned out.

DeFrank

Regardless, it's always been this way. So what I'm trying to say is that the people on that SSX forum, and yourself, are freaking out about something that has always existed, and now they're trying to make something huge out of it with this one game because they're obsessively comparing the two versions of the same game. I've done this myself with previous demos, and the conclusions were always the same. The PS3 controls feel looser, because the sticks are looser.

In summary, it's extremely likely the game is the same between the two versions, but the sticks are making people think otherwise.

Just to beat this horse one more time, I'd like to say that I think this about sums it up.

I don't see what the big deal is. If you think the PS3 version controls worse, then get the Xbox version. That's totally fine. If RoadHazard thinks the Xbox version controls better, he should get that version. If somebody else thinks the PS3 version controls better (or they have no opinion on the matter but want Mt Fuji) then they should get the PS3 version. No reason for everybody to get so butthurt about it. It's not like the difference is drastic at all. The PS3 sticks are loose, always have been. If you think that'll make SSX more difficult, then get the Xbox version.

A few pages back somebody put up a link to the LensOfTruth comparison. That could have turned into a giant shitstorm, but we all basically agreed that the difference was negligible at most. This is the exact same thing, but everybody is freaking out for no reason. Ya'll need to calm down. Everybody is freaking out because we're at the 11th hour and we've been obsessing over every tiny detail of this game for the better part of a year now.

Top Bottom