• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX |OT| Modern Boardfare

Looks like it's score based like Trick it, though.

Those "scores" are actually how many meters they've descended. Once you reach the bottom you start all over again. The runs get progressively harder until you die. The final distance descended is your "score".

Trey

Those "scores" are actually how many meters they've descended. Once you reach the bottom you start all over again. The runs get progressively harder until you die. The final distance descended is your "score".

I see now. Thanks for the clarification.

Duffyside

Banned
I posted my thoughts in the demo thread about the L2-grind feeling awful to me; being way too hard to line up and pull off, while the red rails are way too magnetic. I don't know why they didn't find a middle-ground and use the same principles for both tree-trunks and rails.

What's the feeling been on this matter in this thread?

Teknoman

I posted my thoughts in the demo thread about the L2-grind feeling awful to me; being way too hard to line up and pull off, while the red rails are way too magnetic. I don't know why they didn't find a middle-ground and use the same principles for both tree-trunks and rails.

What's the feeling been on this matter in this thread?

I need to watch a 1 minute mark video to see the route they take. Also I feel like the auto grind rails hinder more than they help when racing. The trees would be nice to grind on, but they are too rounded like someone said earlier. Griding on the side of rough rock faces really helps though.

The little arrows move inward on the score in the center of the screen. Once they reach the center your combo is over. The amount of time it takes to move inward is based off of the difficulty of the trick you performed previously.

Well its confirmed, this game has officially got me. I found out today when out of nowhere this kept replaying in my head.."TRICKY...they say I'm overrated, they say I'm overrated" hahaha Yup I just found my new game crack...2012 SSX.

soultron

Banned
I am in absolute love. Just finished WT.

Did some simultaneous/live Global Event stuff with some guys from the dev team while we talked over party chat.

You need this game.

Try not to spoil yourself by watching videos, guys. I went in fresh and was pretty surprised by a lot of the level design. Some big smiles plastered across my face while playing.

JambiBum

Did some simultaneous/live Global Event stuff with some guys from the dev team while we talked over party chat.

You need this game.

Try not to spoil yourself by watching videos, guys. I went in fresh and was pretty surprised by a lot of the level design. Some big smiles plastered across my face while playing.

I was going to join your chat, but then realized that I would just be jelly :(

You need this game.

That Silver achievement you got, was that just for tracks in the WT? Or have you already done every race event in the game?

KrawlMan

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I've gotta know...is the difference between rotation speeds between Classic and Standard fixed in the final game?

I'm doing OK in the demo using classic, but it's very apparent right off the bat that the standard has a huge advantage.

soultron

Banned
That Silver achievement you got, was that just for tracks in the WT? Or have you already done every race event in the game?

I'm not actually sure. I've been too engrossed in the game to pay attention to any achievements and/or medals I've been getting, to be honest.

JaseMath

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I've gotta know...is the difference between rotation speeds between Classic and Standard fixed in the final game?

I'm doing OK in the demo using classic, but it's very apparent right off the bat that the standard has a huge advantage.

It's confirmed fixed in the final release.

Teknoman

So I've spent a good 5 or 6 hours with the full game now. Heres some things I wanted to note:

- Custom soundtracks are selected as Playlists in your Xbox 360's music library. So what I did was burn my songs to a CD, rip them to the Xbox, take those songs and create a playlist on the Xbox, then select that playlist in the SSX menus. You can assign different playlists for trick events, race events, suvival events, and the menu music. Personally I set custom playlists for race and trick, and left survival and menus to the default SSX music.

The custom soundtrack mixing works really well. The music will come in and out during big air, and it will even start scratching like a stuck record when you do spins on a rail. Some parts of the mixing sound auto-tuned too, which is a neat effect. Overall I'm really happy with it!

**EDIT**: Also forgot to mention that the custom soundtrack option will seemingly play your songs at random. It also appears that whatever algorithm it uses for this isnt very good, as my playlist has 23 songs in it and some songs I'll hear 3 or 4 times before I hear others once. Small annoyance.

- You don't need to play through the World Tour mode to unlock more characters, you can buy them with credits instead if you have enough. Some characters cost more credits than others. You can earn credits faster in the other modes I find.

- Lots of different color suits available for the characters. Some even has additional perks that give you stat bonuses, but cost more credits. Some suits have glowy parts to them that look really cool.

- Sometimes a mystery legendary item will show up in the shop with a timer showing how much time you have left to buy it. I haven't bought one that wasn't awesome so far.

- Some events are limited to certain level equipment, so don't worry about buying that level 10 board and using it forever. You'll need to buy good equipment for every level.

- The wingsuit takes a little time to get used to but is pretty fun. If you're off-balance when you deploy it, it needs a few seconds to "level out" before you can fly it properly. Takes some getting used to.

- They really make Griff out to be a douche in this game off the opening cinematic lol

If anyone has any questions let me know!

Wish you could mix the normal soundtrack with customer tracks in the races instead of choosing either/or.

soultron

Banned
Can you say how long WT was, soultron?

I'm not actually sure. Even if I knew, I couldn't say, sorry. I was extremely satisfied with it though.

I'm pumped for all of you guys to get your hands on it because then Explore and Global Events become turf for us to fight over. That's where the real meat and potatoes of the game is. c:

I know I'm tight-lipped guys, and I apologize, it's just the way it is. Once I get the go-ahead and the embargo lifts, I'll be an open book.

JaseMath

Awesome...thank you. I'm curious, was Classic slow, or was Standard just too fast?

Honestly I don't know. I'm going to assume standard was too fast only because the 2 characters you can choose are only at level 4 of 10. If they spun any faster it'd be a bit ridiculous...but that's just me.

soultron

Banned
I'm listening to the Ubercast right now and I agree with Charmy: this is now my favourite SSX. I can say that, having played them all except for Blur.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Honestly I don't know. I'm going to assume standard was too fast only because the 2 characters you can choose are only at level 4 of 10. If they spun any faster it'd be a bit ridiculous...but that's just me.

I hope this is the case. Classic has a nice feel to it for level 4. Otherwise lvl 10 standard will spin way too much and way too fast to be attractive to watch.

Now I need to get a solid playlist onto the PS3 to mix with the SSX OST songs.

I'm not actually sure. Even if I knew, I couldn't say, sorry. I was extremely satisfied with it though.

I'm pumped for all of you guys to get your hands on it because then Explore and Global Events become turf for us to fight over. That's where the real meat and potatoes of the game is. c:

I know I'm tight-lipped guys, and I apologize, it's just the way it is. Once I get the go-ahead and the embargo lifts, I'll be an open book.

Man they've got you on a short chain.

Still debating canceling my preorder but it's getting down to the wire. What to do, what to do. Lack of reviews other than IGN's questionable exclusive isn't helping.

Protip for playing SSX: Remember to focus on your ability!

You gotta focus on your ability
Focus on your ability
Focus on your ability

Then they can't get what they want to steal
Can't get what they want to steal

Get out of my head charles!

Pancho

Qurupancho
Protip for playing SSX: Remember to focus on your ability!

Focus on your ability
Focus on your ability

Get out of my head charles!

You should do like I will try to do: Get out of this thread until Tuesday arrives, unless I want to go mad.

JaseMath

I have to ask...
Is anyone else in love with tapping the rewind button in the middle of a huge trick for the slo-mo effect? So damn cool - and it doesn't affect your score or combo!

I spent a lot of time deciding on which version to get, and decided to go with the PS3 for nostalgic purposes.

The gameplay is pretty fun in the demo, so I'm sure to enjoy the full version.

It bears repeating that EA are fools for sending out copies to people they know are real fans of the series, and then telling them to shut up about the game. Instead we got guys who bought the game early talking, but the guys that should be EA's biggest SSX ambassadors are being told they can't say a word. EA, this is why you suck. Well, one of numerous reasons. It's like they don't ever feel like doing the smart thing.

And don't confuse that rant with me being down on the game. I just hate stupid sh**.

Tokubetsu

It is so fucking stupid that I can't transfer my music from a flash drive to the 360 hdd. I should have bought the PS3 version.

Hale-XF11

I have to ask...
Is anyone else in love with tapping the rewind button in the middle of a huge trick for the slo-mo effect? So damn cool - and it doesn't affect your score or combo!
Yeah, hehe, I do this now and again for the heck of it cuz it feels kind of bad ass, especially in the middle of a flip.
I spent a lot of time deciding on which version to get, and decided to go with the PS3 for nostalgic purposes.
That's partly my reasoning as well, but my main is reason is that the game just feels more comfortable to me on the PS3 controller when using classic controls.

bridegur

i want a sequel where every range is its own endless continual mountain like SSX3. its like SSX3 time 10!!! :D

Yeah, I wouldn't mind something like that. Maybe just one or two huge open mountains. And if they don't go that route, I'd love to see them stick with this style but just go a bit crazier with the locations (snow in Hawaii, for example).

The demo got me so hyped for this game.

Maybe it's because I associate the SSX series with the previous gen of consoles, but it just seems like games like this don't come out anymore. In my opinion the most recent one that feels like this was Burnout Paradise, which I also loved.

PS3 or 360?

Top Bottom